• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

Their manga player is updating to HTML5 and is in Beta now.

In an AMA(can't for the life of me remember which one), someone at CR said that an HTML5 player isn't an option because of something to do with lack of security confidence on from the side of the license holders. I think they were insinuating that they have their hands tied in that department, but i feel like its BS tbh.
I don't think there isn't a form of encryption for HTML5 to a satisfactory degree yet (not that it really matters since for example people just steal Crunchyroll subs and Funimation videos anyway) but since you can just right click-> save as for most HTML5 stuff... yeah.

Mailbox

I don't think there isn't a form of encryption for HTML5 to a satisfactory degree yet (not that it really matters since for example people just steal Crunchyroll subs and Funimation videos anyway) but since you can just right click-> save as for most HTML5 stuff... yeah.

Yeah, i didn't mean that the security stuff was bunk, just that the worry seems odd considering that its happening even with encryption

Edit: Okay, tried out the funimation mobile app. Design is functionally the same, but since its on a phone, the scrolling issue isn't there.
The weird resolution BS isn't there either, another plus. But some shows have errors here too (Magical index again)

My problem is the design of the media buttons on the player itself. Them being in the center is bad design and it takes to much travel time. Off to the bottom right should be where they go (ie: crunchyroll's got mobile design down!). Also, the fact that you can't tap to dismiss the overlay is BS. You have to wait a second or 2 for it to go away on its own which is just plain inconvenient. (Also the menus (not videos) lag on an iphone 5. Pretty sure nothing intensive is going on with it, so idk why it does that..)

Did they get a tester to see if these design decisions were function to the average user? because I found all these faults after just using each app for a few second....

Kizumonogatari Part I - Tekketsu
...Also, apart from setting up the vampire rumor, Hanekawa's relationship with Araragi didn't have a payoff this film. Going from the preview, it looks like the next film will be where that comes into play more. This definitely seems like something that will benefit from being treated as a unit once all three parts are out.

Hanekawa should have a major role in part 2 and 3 from my understanding of when part 1 leaves off.

I think new console apps are coming in May.

I still need to try out the mobile app, but the windows app is dogshit

Ah I see. Yeah the Xbox One app is kinda slow. But seems like most of the Xbox One apps are slow as shit.

I wish Funimation was on the Wii U.

Line_HTX

Mayoiga was crowdfunded? That's the first time I've heard of a studio asking for some.

Diomedia low on cash almost ufotable status.

And look, Mari Okada is the writer for this, AND the Prison School director.

zulux21

Yeah, that was pretty damn good stuff in that arc and I really hope there is more to come like that. I almost felt like a kid again watching that battle, but I guess that's what games and anime can do for ya, lol. Oh, and can I mention how awesome Master is? Dude is on point, not just with his magic, but with his guild ideals as well.
looking at the arcs I don't think there is any I dislike from now on. A couple aren't as good as others and a couple plot points are just... REALLY!?, but in general the cannon episodes of fairy tail are an enjoyable ride that I have been enjoying rewatching via english dubs.

Of course I am one of those people that actually still likes fairy tail, but I think you will be too given your reactions so far lol.
Ah I see. Yeah the Xbox One app is kinda slow. But seems like most of the Xbox One apps are slow as shit.

I wish Funimation was on the Wii U.

I don't mind the ps3 funimation app but it could definitely use improvement. Their episode listing is pretty much the stupidest thing ever. If you haven't dealt with it this is how it goes.

You are watching through one piece, episode 300 lets say. You use it to go to sleep and watch 301 but sleep through 302 so when you start the next day you need 302. Well the app will be on 303 and in order to get back to 302 you will have to load more videos... which will then load a chunk of videos like 25 behind where you are, and I don't mean the previous 25 I mean starting at 25 behind, so you have to load more videos again to get to the chunk of videos that would contain 302. Hopefully the new app will be more like netflix which just shows the ep you left off on as your starting point and goes back and forward.

Beyond that I have some buffering issues as while the first episode I play is usually fine, by the time the second episode comes around it likes to every other minute or so freeze on the video for a second or two and usually by the second episode if I let the video auto play it will just lock up :/

pbayne

Mayoiga was crowdfunded? That's the first time I've heard of a studio asking for some.

Diomedia low on cash almost ufotable status.

And look, Mari Okada is the writer for this, AND the Prison School director.

I think it is just primarily to promote the series(top-tier get a bus ride with staff, YAY!)/milk some cash from suckers. The amount they asked for is to minuscule to really make a difference.

I think it is just primarily to promote the series(top-tier get a bus ride with staff, YAY!)/milk some cash from suckers. The amount they asked for is to minuscule to really make a difference.

Well, it's not just a bus ride. You get to spend a day with the staff in the location where the anime is set.

+ You get some keyframe animation drawings from the show.

Mahouka movie and Ero Manga Sensei anime(TV mostly) announced.

About Ero Manga Sensei:
The "new sibling romantic comedy" revolves around Masamune Izumi, a light novel author in high school. Masamune's little sister is Sagiri, a shut-in girl who hasn't left her room for an entire year. She even forces her brother to make and bring her meals when she stomps the floor. Masamune wants his sister to leave her room, because the two of them are each other's only family.

Masamune's novel illustrator, pen name "Eromanga", draws extremely perverted drawings, and is very reliable. Masamune had never met his illustrator, and figured he was just a disgusting, perverted otaku. However, the truth is revealed… that his "Eromanga-sensei" is his own younger sister! To add to the chaos that erupts between the siblings, a beautiful, female, best-selling shoujo manga creator becomes their rival!

AG15DJ9.jpg

duckroll

SAO movie. Accel World movie. Mahouka movie. I'm okay with popular bad LN franchises being continued as movies instead of taking up broadcast slots instead! :p

zulux21

SAO movie. Accel World movie. Mahouka movie. I'm okay with popular bad LN franchises being continued as movies instead of taking up broadcast slots instead! :p

I'd rather they take up broadcast slots so I would have stuff to watch during the season instead of the ecchi or moe show that will replace them.

oh look 4 girls in a club and this time they play flutes.
oh look 4 girls in a club and this time they actually are supposed to be making cakes.

bleh... it's like anime has become the later seasons of ranma where it's just the same idea that was originally popular over and over again with detail changes and everything else the same. I shouldn't be able to look at a show that I know nothing about and know which character is going to be shy, a bitch, with trip over the air, and which will be nice but kind of dumb @_@

w/e they sell and keep the anime industry a float so good shows like one punch man can come out eventually :p.

and people might dislike SOA and the likes, but at least he rarely trips or taps the side of his face and goes Tee-Hee :p

completely random not really getting to any real point rant over.
mostly I am not happy with the movies because they rarely do a good job with pacing. They tend to end up far more action based and less character based and while they will look nice they won't feel as good of a story. to be fair if they are longer like the haruhi one they might not be that bad though as if I recall right that one was like 2.5 hours which is like 7-8 anime eps and enough time to do a normal arc properly compared to the normal 90 min one that is like 4 episodes and usually skims over things.

Mailbox

I've been watching ah my goddess and thought it was gonna be some stock tropes abusing stuff that you'd expect from this premise (ie: I thought it was gonna be meh) and 9 episodes in, in presently surprised. Sure episode 9 was ,for all intents and purposes, dumb, but I've enjoyed this far more than I thought I would.

I will say that anytime this show tries some action-y stuff or tries to over focus on the goddess stuff (to the point of pointless jargon aplenty) it loses me. This show is much much better when it focuses on the slice of life angles.

Donno if I should watch season 2 when I'm done though... I still need to watch magical warfare to cross off another shit anime...

Hmm...

SAO movie is nice, more Kirito bullying people and less "story". All the story in SAO is kinda bad anyway.

If the movie is just them visiting a cool location, introducing a decently fun character and Kirito showing why he's the ultimate beater I'd be content.

bleh... it's like anime has become the later seasons of ranma where it's just the same idea that was originally popular over and over again with detail changes and everything else the same. I shouldn't be able to look at a show that I know nothing about and know which character is going to be shy, a bitch, with trip over the air, and which will be nice but kind of dumb @_@

Pretty funny to read considering the whole Asteriks/Rakudai meme last season.

PS: Being able to look at a character and see their personality isn't exclusive to MOEEEEE!!!!™

Like, if you look at the dragon girl in SAO you can also guess that she's a bit shy...

Oh and more.

Watashi ga Motete Dousunda TV anime announced.

Yassssssssss. Junko finally gets one of her series made into an anime Kiss Him Not Me is not what I wanted to be the one but if it opens the door for her BL manga to get picked up Ill take it. This is such a hilarious shoujo manga. The fujoshi lead is hilarious and way she ships the boys is wonderful. Please deliver brains base.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Instead of a TV show or a movie they should just make nothing. Time to pull the plug on SAO and fry its brain... not that it would make a difference since there's clearly no thought in that story.

I'd rather they take up broadcast slots so I would have stuff to watch during the season instead of the ecchi or moe show that will replace them.

oh look 4 girls in a club and this time they play flutes.
oh look 4 girls in a club and this time they actually are supposed to be making cakes.

w/e they sell and keep the anime industry a float so good shows like one punch man can come out eventually :p.

and people might dislike SOA and the likes, but at least he rarely trips or taps the side of his face and goes Tee-Hee :p

Eliminating sweet shows about girls so you can have more male power fantasies is not a move I would support.

Yona of the Dawn - END
Good show. Fun show. I really like the cast - they're all quite varied, and play off each other really well. I'm glad Soo-Wan ended up being more than just generic bad-guy - which is something that could not be said for the villain in Arslan (Who had a legitimate reason for being evil but then kinda went nuts). The scene where Soo-wan runs into Yona was really interesting.

That said, I hope we get more of this because this season felt kind of... small?

When I think of a show/manga like One Piece, the major players all came into the group after a big, long arc. Yet here, only one did (Green dragon). White Dragon came in without a fuss, Blue Dragon had a small little arc, and then Yellow Dragon showed up randomly in the last episode in what I can't help but suspect was the author deciding to skip an arc to move the story along faster.

In the grand scheme of things, not much has really happened yet. Whats here IS good. It just didn't get to the point of epicene that I hoped it would. I imagine that will come later.

There is enough content in the manga for another season (manga is ongoing and really good). The yellow dragon shows up that randomly in the manga as well his arc is explained later its complex which is why the mangaka probably wanted to establish the character first before diving into his background.

Non Non Biyori 1

The opening scene felt like a nature documentary, or maybe one of those TV channels you'll find in the higher numbers which play calming music over videos of natural scenes. The rural setting is well realized.

The backgrounds are really nice. This shot effectively conveys the mood and feel of a dense forest, and brings me back to my Boy Scout days when I would hike through woods like these all the time.

I like the gentle, relaxed pace of this episode as well. The pace of rural life can be inviting for someone such as myself, who lives in the middle of a city and has a life which tends to go at a quick pace. Modern technology encourages a lack of rest and relaxation. It's nice to escape for a bit to a world completely different.

Cornbread78

looking at the arcs I don't think there is any I dislike from now on. A couple aren't as good as others and a couple plot points are just... REALLY!?, but in general the cannon episodes of fairy tail are an enjoyable ride that I have been enjoying rewatching via english dubs.

Of course I am one of those people that actually still likes fairy tail, but I think you will be too given your reactions so far lol.:/

Aqua mentioned that it can get pretty repetitive with later arcs, but we'll see how it goes. The show already pointed out several future plots to be explored just within those first couple arcs as well, so I'm not sure if that is what he meant.

blurr

Non Non Biyori 1

The opening scene felt like a nature documentary, or maybe one of those TV channels you'll find in the higher numbers which play calming music over videos of natural scenes. The rural setting is well realized.

The backgrounds are really nice. This shot effectively conveys the mood and feel of a dense forest, and brings me back to my Boy Scout days when I would hike through woods like these all the time.

I like the gentle, relaxed pace of this episode as well. The pace of rural life can be inviting for someone such as myself, who lives in the middle of a city and has a life which tends to go at a quick pace. Modern technology encourages a lack of rest and relaxation. It's nice to escape for a bit to a world completely different.

Yea, NNB does a great job in instilling that rural look and feel.

The sequel, Repeat was really good but the weekly scheduled airing kind of hindered my experience, I wish I had watched it at my own pace. Not something I'd marathon or watch at a regulated pace.

rrvv

Non Non Biyori 1

I always found anime that set in rural area (NNB and Mushishi) is quite boring. Then again I living most of the time in small village/city. So I can just go outside and enjoying the scene instead staring at screen.

I always found anime that set in rural area (NNB and Mushishi) is quite boring. Then again I living most of the time in small village/city. So I can just go outside and enjoying the scene instead staring at screen.

Uh oh, you are about to get slaughtered. Last time I said something like that I was greeted with this:

mvqdhod.gif

Godspeed my friend.

pbayne

I never thought of the series from that angle but you're right in a certain sense. When the series stops providing escapism and is just your everyday reality, I guess it does somewhat lose its appeal.

Qurupeke

Friends want me to tag along for Deadpool. Please tell me I'm not wasting my time, because I'm pretty sure I would have finished Eureka 7 today. :(

Diodiablo

Banned
Friends want me to tag along for Deadpool. Please tell me I'm not wasting my time, because I'm pretty sure I would have finished Eureka 7 today. :(

Do you like violence? Do you like boobs? Do you like sex jokes?

If the answer to any of these is yes (and it should be since you are in the Anime Thread) then you will not waste your time.

rrvv

Uh oh, you are about to get slaughtered. Last time I said something like that I was greeted with this:

mvqdhod.gif

Godspeed my friend.

lol, I didn't drop the show thought. Is not bad by any mean. I can relate some of the episode like first time riding train. Kinda remind me to old memory really hahaha.

But yeah NNB relying too much on rural setting but not too much else. So it kinda "normal" for me.

I never thought of the series from that angle but you're right in a certain sense. When the series stops providing escapism and is just your everyday reality, I guess it does somewhat lose its appeal.

I will admit thought. Small city with complete facility > Big overcrowded city. I can understand why big city people miss the greenery.

John Blade

I've been watching ah my goddess and thought it was gonna be some stock tropes abusing stuff that you'd expect from this premise (ie: I thought it was gonna be meh) and 9 episodes in, in presently surprised. Sure episode 9 was ,for all intents and purposes, dumb, but I've enjoyed this far more than I thought I would.

I will say that anytime this show tries some action-y stuff or tries to over focus on the goddess stuff (to the point of pointless jargon aplenty) it loses me. This show is much much better when it focuses on the slice of life angles.

Donno if I should watch season 2 when I'm done though... I still need to watch magical warfare to cross off another shit anime...

Hmm...

If you love Season 1 of the TV show, I think you will be fine with Season 2 even though the pacing pick up quite a bit and a lot of stuff happening in the 2nd season. Also, Belldandy personality will start to change a bit when she start to learn a feeling she never feel before in her life
jealousy
. The slice of life stuff you like in season 1 is still here but they won't be too much to tell the turth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom