• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Episode 12

I thought we would be able to avoid many writers coming down with the bad writing disease, but I guess I was wrong. Worst yet the writer is probably in need of one of the best remedies in the field. Awful.
surely the maids could have ran out to help life everyone up, we didn't need him to plummet to his death, especially because worst character had to come back and get in the way of everything. A bad character always spoils the best things. ugh

Heavy Object Episode 24 [END]

RH1Gnjil.jpg

"Aishiteruze, baby!"

Yo, that finale when the OP2 kicked in was super hyped !!! And well played, they made us focus on the mirror so obviously that the true chekhov's gun was the entire CVD process that Qwenthur used The Information Alliance being willing to help out for free was a bit convenient but other than that it wrapped up neatly.

While it had a bit of a weak start trying to find it's groove, I thought Heavy Object steadily improved throughout. I love the concept of a mecha series without the usual pilot MC with a 'special' machine from the start. Love all the characters but the main duo of Qwenthur and Haivia really is the best buddy pairing (without shipping implications) in Anime. From an adaptation point of view it really went a lot better than I would feared- mainly it didn't suffered from the rushed pacing that plagued alot of JC Staff's LN adaptations and personally I thought the compromise that they did end up making were reasonable. The added fanservice in the first half was hit and miss but I think someone must have told them to cut it out because they were almost absent in the second half.

It's a long shot to get a second season, but at least it got a good adaptation. There were some LN series whose fans got royally screwed from having a crappy adaptation. All in all I'm satisfied.

XO8tsndl.jpg

rljt5Zkl.jpg

To be fair, all of the pairings in GATE happened over the course of the show. They didn't just pop out of nowhere (though some of the jumps to go from where their relationship was to where it ends did).

Also Itami's destiny was Rory. Like, no jokes. Rory was the only one he had any sort of chemistry with

pbayne

Heroman 11-16

Second arc done. I love that everyone basically did a fist pump at the end of this episode just to confirm how feel good it was. Action remains strong and the little romance episode was really nice too.

Id struggle to think of a mecha protagonist as instantly likeable as Joey. I appreciate that the show doesn't confuse courage or bravado with stupidity. Joey knows when to listen to other's advice and doesn't just rush into winless situations. And most importantly just his willingness to help people, to be a hero and looking like he genuinely enjoys having a mecha make him such a great main character.

Quasar

Galko-chan 12 - I'm going to miss you Galko-chan. Such a nice girl.

She and Her Cat 4 - A nice final episode. Though with an old cat myself it does stab me in the heart a bit.

Rakugo - 12

Overall I liked the episode a lot, but at the end it felt weird.
I just couldn't take the tear licking seriously and started laughing. Then when Sukeroku suddenly thinks to throw out Rakugo out of his life (yet again?) to get back with Miyokichi, right after having his passion reignited and I quote "It feels like a gift from god" felt odd. The balcony breaking part also felt a bit overly dramatically staged from what I expected.

GATE 24
Felt abit rushed but was still good. The way it ends though it kinda seems they don't plan on making another season :( There's so much content left, it's quite disappointing.

Really? I think they are definitely going to do a 3rd season. Why get this far to just stop?

Itami is the only one at the end of Gate who doesn't get someone. His harem is terrible. Should of went with Pina

Honestly, I could still see it happen :).

GATE 24

Solid ending. The thing too is that from here, possibilities are endless. Unless the manga has ended of course, they could easily continue telling more stories.

Cornbread78

Trinity 7 ep.1-3
This is trash, but..... Arata is such a breath of fresh air when it comes to harem MC's, lol. Literally just says what is on his mind and doesn't give a shit, lol. The comedy is good enough so far to keep this one interesting and an interesting Demon Lord/Magic school harem generic crossover series that should be fun.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12:

Gotta admit I was not expecting that for resolution and yet I find myself unsure of what to think of it.

kewlmyc

GATE 24

The stupid prince and bunny shit are still alive. I want my money back.

GATE 24

Solid ending. The thing too is that from here, possibilities are endless. Unless the manga has ended of course, they could easily continue telling more stories.

The LNs are still going I think.

Heavy Object Episode 24 [END] A Requiem for the Flowers Blooming in the Field - The Battle to Destroy the Baby Magnum II
CebPpNRWQAAj6w_.jpg

Pretty epic ending, probably closest to death Qwenthur and Havia have even been (though a bit unrealistic again in how fast characters recover, if Qwenthur really lost that much blood shouldnt he have been out for days? Also the battle maidens, where? Did they never get their diamonds?)

I really loved this anime as its up there for best LN anime even beating out the high tier writing from a few favorites (kawahara, tsutomu sato). I think it had to be the Qwenthur Havia thing going on and having hime stay on the baby magnum and do that stuff. She got to be cool while Qwenthur and Havia got to be everyday heroes. Every mission though seemingly different used the same sort of setup and even tried to change things up with giving Havia a larger and larger role to do things while Qwenthur was tied down or injured etc. I like how things were shared and also how friendly and reliable and lovely they were to each other.Such a sweet friendship all the time and that trust. They always said the same sort of lines to each other about "not dying on me" and "partner this partner that" and even the same shared tastes.

Its really perfect anime.

ALL OFF was awesome too, Never Gave Up is just as good as One More Chance, and the instrumental versions of both are used in anime perfectly. OST for the anime too has really good songs.

10/10

John Blade

Well...look like Working! season 3 is coming here after all. Still suck that the cost to get it isn't worth right now with the CDN dollars is. I guess I can wait for a year or so and see if the currency is on pair with US dollars before I buy it.

Chindogg

GATE 24

A bit rushed but this reeks of another season, even if it's by a different name.

Funny how they just shipped half the cast at the end though lol.

GATE 24

Figured. The stuff in here has legs, so many possibilities really. The show isn't excellent, nor is the content in it but it is entertaining enough, seeing just how glorified and OP the Japanese army is in this Otaku/RPG world. The characters have their own quirks that make the show fun too.

Get out of here with the whole Sugawara and the princess thing though GATE, come on lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't watched an anime ending in a while and that ending to Gate was hilarious in terms of how they just tried to cram as much as possible into 20 minutes AND throw in a coda that tries to wrap up the series as best they can.

I'll miss this stupid show that made absolutely no sense (like why keep
Zozal
alive? Who the fuck nows).

Clov

Well...look like Working! season 3 is coming here after all. Still suck that the cost to get it isn't worth right now with the CDN dollars is. I guess I can wait for a year or so and see if the currency is on pair with US dollars before I buy it.

In terms of buying Aniplex products as a Canadian, what I've done lately has been waiting for a sale on The C&L Club website. They're a Canadian store that stocks Aniplex goods; it's still expensive, but it gets a bit better if you wait for the right time. During a sale where everything in stock was 30% off, I got the first Fate/Zero BD collection for something around $170 CAD. Still very expensive, but better than buying it from RightStuf with the exchange rate at the time. No sales going on at the moment, but it wouldn't hurt to check it out from time to time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In terms of buying Aniplex products as a Canadian, what I've done lately has been waiting for a sale on The C&L Club website. They're a Canadian store that stocks Aniplex goods; it's still expensive, but it gets a bit better if you wait for the right time. During a sale where everything in stock was 30% off, I got the first Fate/Zero BD collection for something around $170 CAD. Still very expensive, but better than buying it from RightStuf with the exchange rate at the time. No sales going on at the moment, but it wouldn't hurt to check it out from time to time.

What's the C&L Club? An online dvd retailer?

GATE Finale

LMAO at this non ending ending, they must've been inspired by the latest Venture Bros Season.

In conclusion for the season

1. Venture Bros.
2. Grimgar
3. Everything I watched in anime this season.

Can one watch the Steins;Gate anime without playing the game first? Will I miss out on anything important?

I watched the anime got everything and have yet to play the game. As far as adaptations from games/VNs go Steins;Gate is considered among the best of not leaving too much, if any, shit out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep! The website may look a bit outdated, but they're legit. What I've bought from them has arrived in a timely manner and in good shape. They also stock NISA products, and with the right sale they have better prices on Sentai and RightStuf anime than Amazon.ca.
Heh, this looks exactly like an American DVD retailer that I used to use. I wonder if they just got the same people to design the site or something.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Rakugo 12, wait, wasn't
Sukukero STABBED?
I clearly remember the image from the first episode.

We see Kiku leaning over Sukeroku's body with him staring directly at Konatsu. No stabbing is mentioned.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 12

I am speechless. I can't believe I'm watching a series where the ending is already known from the very beginning yet I was shocked at how this episode wrapped up. This is by far one of the enjoyable anime I've seen. I agree that the tear licking was weird but considering how awkward Kiku is when showing his feelings towards others, I don't think is that out of place for him.

Clov

I bookmarked the link for future use. Man...the site feel like I just go back in the early 2000s here.

Heh, this looks exactly like an American DVD retailer that I used to use. I wonder if they just got the same people to design the site or something.

Yeah, it's definitely not a modern design they're using. Still, whatever works.

Only thing that annoys me is that they haven't stocked any Pony Canyon products, so I won't be able to start getting those Euphonium volumes until the CAD rises some more.

I see a few people were perplexed by the ending of Rakugo Shinjuu 12. I read a manga spoiler that, while I can't verify it myself, would explain why it felt odd to people.
Apparently the version of Sukeroku and Miyokichi's death that was shown to us was not the truth, but a falsified version presented by Kiku. (Remember that the conceit here, as set up by the end of the first episode, is that the elderly Kiku/Yakumo is narrating this whole tale of his past to Yotaro and Konatsu.) This would make sense, since this version of events presents Kiku and Sukeroku in a good light, but their actions feel a bit out of character. This seems like the kind of rakugo-inspired story (we heard a rakugo story very similar to this earlier in the season) that Kiku would come up with if he wanted to hide a darker truth from Konatsu.

Deadly

Really? I think they are definitely going to do a 3rd season. Why get this far to just stop?
Honestly, I could still see it happen :).
I'd love to be wrong. I've read some future spoilers and it sounds great.
GATE 24

Figured. The stuff in here has legs, so many possibilities really. The show isn't excellent, nor is the content in it but it is entertaining enough, seeing just how glorified and OP the Japanese army is in this Otaku/RPG world. The characters have their own quirks that make the show fun too.

Get out of here with the whole Sugawara and the princess thing though GATE, come on lol.
The main story is finished. They started publishing some side-stories but it's been omitted by the anime already.

Did Rakugo go off the deep end in the final episode?

I didn't expect that series to have tear licking...

Also I'm guessing Funimation is going to reveal their simulcast lineup tomorrow at their panels.

ibyea

Banned
Can one watch the Steins;Gate anime without playing the game first? Will I miss out on anything important?

I don't know since I didn't play the game but for me it felt like a complete package, like I wasn't missing out on anything if I didn't play the game.

e_i

Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn episode 12 End

All that hacking BUER for
his thigh collection.
Haha.Way to deflate the entire build up. And Clar-ing got what she really wanted
Nene.
Cute and sweet series. Need more.

Heavy Object episode 24 End

Damn, Qwenthar got his ass handed to him.
But Ohoho fixed up him.
Great series, but repetitive. Ohoho is love.

GATE episode 24 End

What is with the sudden hookups? "I'm pregnant!" WTH did this happen?

Today I started and finished Glasslip. It's a short series with 13 episodes. Since both the opening and ending music sucked, I could shave a bit time there.
In short, I did not like it and regret the hours. There is an interesting premise and cast of characters but sadly it left me very unsatisfied. Way too many boring stretches of people looking and scenery shots without adding anything to the experience or mood. Obtuse and cryptic babbling of the cast which never really leads to anything. There is very little character development. A shame since there are a few moments when I thought "Yes! It's finally picking up." but nope, it's a still-stand with pseudo-deep talk but it never is meaningful in any way.
I'm angry of frustration. I do not recommend this show.

KanameYuuki

I'm current catching up on Myriad Colors Phantom World, just finished watching EP 8 and boy it gets more boring each time, watching them back to back you can really feel how it gets worse and worse, at least there are pretty colors and Reina I guess, I wish they didn't have that pointless opening discussing about hard to explain concepts, they just come as trying to be smart on just a fanservice show, I suppose it is to easily amuse some people.

I'm going to miss so much Galko-chan and Ojisan to Marshmallow (gotta love those 2 plot twist on episode 10 on a 3min show) and my weekly dose of cuteness with Muco : (

Hattori

Banned
I don't know since I didn't play the game but for me it felt like a complete package, like I wasn't missing out on anything if I didn't play the game.

You dont need to play the game, the story is pretty exhaustively covered in the anime. I doubt even 80% of people who loved Steins;Gate started with the game first.

I watched the anime got everything and have yet to play the game. As far as adaptations from games/VNs go Steins;Gate is considered among the best of not leaving too much, if any, shit out.

Thanks for the input. I have the game but I just don't have the drive to play a visual novel at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom