• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

On the topic of Pony Canyon, they just announced that they're bringing over Kuromukuro and some anime called The Lost Village (Japanese title is Mayoiga). They also have the Euphonium compilation movie.

Jex

I see a few people were perplexed by the ending of Rakugo Shinjuu 12. I read a manga spoiler that, while I can't verify it myself, would explain why it felt odd to people.
Apparently the version of Sukeroku and Miyokichi's death that was shown to us was not the truth, but a falsified version presented by Kiku. (Remember that the conceit here, as set up by the end of the first episode, is that the elderly Kiku/Yakumo is narrating this whole tale of his past to Yotaro and Konatsu.) This would make sense, since this version of events presents Kiku and Sukeroku in a good light, but their actions feel a bit out of character. This seems like the kind of rakugo-inspired story (we heard a rakugo story very similar to this earlier in the season) that Kiku would come up with if he wanted to hide a darker truth from Konatsu.

This makes far more sense than the events that transpired at the end of the episode. The final scene we witnesses felt like a piece of meldorama from a very different kind of story and it wasn't really in-keeping with anything else we'd seen.

I hope what you speculate is correct because it would certainly help elevate what we witnessed.

Line_HTX

I haven't watched an anime ending in a while and that ending to Gate was hilarious in terms of how they just tried to cram as much as possible into 20 minutes AND throw in a coda that tries to wrap up the series as best they can.

I'll miss this stupid show that made absolutely no sense (like why keep
Zozal
alive? Who the fuck nows).

They're probably not done with him yet.

Today I started and finished Glasslip. It's a short series with 13 episodes. Since both the opening and ending music sucked, I could shave a bit time there.
In short, I did not like it and regret the hours. There is an interesting premise and cast of characters but sadly it left me very unsatisfied. Way too many boring stretches of people looking and scenery shots without adding anything to the experience or mood. Obtuse and cryptic babbling of the cast which never really leads to anything. There is very little character development. A shame since there are a few moments when I thought "Yes! It's finally picking up." but nope, it's a still-stand with pseudo-deep talk but it never is meaningful in any way.
I'm angry of frustration. I do not recommend this show.
I'm sorry you had to go through this. I'm curious, what on earth made you initially start this?

pbayne

Today I started and finished Glasslip. It's a short series with 13 episodes. Since both the opening and ending music sucked, I could shave a bit time there.
In short, I did not like it and regret the hours. There is an interesting premise and cast of characters but sadly it left me very unsatisfied. Way too many boring stretches of people looking and scenery shots without adding anything to the experience or mood. Obtuse and cryptic babbling of the cast which never really leads to anything. There is very little character development. A shame since there are a few moments when I thought "Yes! It's finally picking up." but nope, it's a still-stand with pseudo-deep talk but it never is meaningful in any way.

Poor bastard. Why did you not bail out after the first few episodes?

The main story is finished. They started publishing some side-stories but it's been omitted by the anime already.

Guess that's that then.

If only you had asked. I would have told you, like I tell everyone, to stay the heck away from this show. Seriously. Nothing happens. And whatever does happen, makes no sense whatsoever. Probably one of the worst shows I have ever watched.

Rakugo 12

It was all leading up to this. That was rough for them all. Was that moment between Bon and Miyokichi pure lust that he had sealed away all that time? Or was it something that he just did because "he had to" for her sake? I have to agree the way it all went may have been a little overdramatic
(specially when they are hanging with Bon holding them both with one arm)
, but the way it was all executed was done well enough that I just shrugged that off and ate it up. Looking forward to seeing next week's bit, as to what happened directly after that event, and seeing the present once more.

Thats not the final episode.

Ahh. Thank you.

Garo Crimson Moon Episode 22
download.png

So, this rich asshole, Michinaga, is angry he had to share his palace with a bunch of poor people. Why did he have to share it? Because this giant horror...
...is literally killing everyone. And it's actually right outside his palace. And probably about to break in.

But he's more angry about the poor people.

DO YOU GET IT? DO YOU GET THE THEME!?

This makes far more sense than the events that transpired at the end of the episode. The final scene we witnesses felt like a piece of meldorama from a very different kind of story and it wasn't really in-keeping with anything else we'd seen.

I hope what you speculate is correct because it would certainly help elevate what we witnessed.

As Tarutano pointed out above, we already have in-show evidence that episode 12 is false, since it contradicts what episode 1 showed us.

He asked. Apparently nobody warned him about that show though. lol

LMFAO DTL!!! His suggestions should come with a warning sign, I swear ahaha.

I see a few people were perplexed by the ending of Rakugo Shinjuu 12. I read a manga spoiler that, while I can't verify it myself, would explain why it felt odd to people.
Apparently the version of Sukeroku and Miyokichi's death that was shown to us was not the truth, but a falsified version presented by Kiku. (Remember that the conceit here, as set up by the end of the first episode, is that the elderly Kiku/Yakumo is narrating this whole tale of his past to Yotaro and Konatsu.) This would make sense, since this version of events presents Kiku and Sukeroku in a good light, but their actions feel a bit out of character. This seems like the kind of rakugo-inspired story (we heard a rakugo story very similar to this earlier in the season) that Kiku would come up with if he wanted to hide a darker truth from Konatsu.

Just read this. It would be absolutely BRILLIANT if this is how it goes.

I'm sorry you had to go through this. I'm curious, what on earth made you initially start this?
I wrote yesterday how I liked Golden Time and got Glasslip recommended. I think I got trolled.
Poor bastard. Why did you not bail out after the first few episodes?
Some shows start weak, so I wanted to give it a fair chance... and by ep.6 I was already knee-deep in crap, so I said "F it" and finished it. I'm a fool.

Never gonna trust Dedication Through Light again. Never ever.

I wrote yesterday how I liked Golden Time and got Glasslip recommended. I think I got trolled.

Some shows start weak, so I wanted to give it a fair chance... and by ep.6 I was already knee-deep in crap, so I said "F it" and finished it. I'm a fool.

Okay don't think badly of DTL. He just... has different tastes from everyone else around here lol

So why don't we try this again? SoL/romances... Have you ever watched Hyouka? If you haven't I would highly recommend it. What else can I give you... SNAFU, Toradora, Working, Ore Monogatari... And that's that for now. There's many more that I can give you, and that I'm sure other members can give you as well, but I want to see what kind of thing you are interested in. I want to wash that bad taste from your mouth aha. Look these up, see if any match what you are looking for, in the same order as they are on this post.

Just T

Ah that's really unfortunate, such a terrible anime on many levels. Hope you manage to watch something great next to wash out that taste.

Squishy3

It's more always take his recommendations with a grain of salt. Normally other people will chime in on his recommendations and can tell you whether or not he's recommending something that's worth a watch or not. His Glasslip recommendation just got overlooked.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Read about this in an article at work and holy shit... the emotions that welled up inside me. I'm one of the few who's been dying to get more episodes. I've always wanted more, even though they ended it on a solid note I just wanted to spend more time with the characters. 13 years later my wish has come true. Give me a timeskip with more Pillows and I'll be fucking set for life.

One of the few, and I mean few, shows that I ship a hetero couple.

Naota x Haruko let's fucking goooooo!

Okay don't think badly of DTL. He just... has different tastes from everyone else around here lol

So why don't we try this again? SoL/romances... Have you ever watched Hyouka? If you haven't I would highly recommend it. What else can I give you... SNAFU, Toradora, Working, Ore Monogatari... And that's that for now. There's many more that I can give you, and that I'm sure other members can give you as well, but I want to see what kind of thing you are interested in. I want to wash that bad taste from your mouth aha. Look these up, see if any match what you are looking for, in the same order as they are on this post.
Thanks. I got SNAFU recommended yesterday as well. It will probably be my next watch. Toradora I watched already (and liked) and others I'll bookmark. Thanks!

Just T

Ohhh, alright that makes sense.
But he makes himself lick tears in his made up version? You've grown to be sick Kiku!

Thanks. I got SNAFU recommended yesterday as well. It will probably be my next watch. Toradora I watched already (and liked) and others I'll bookmark. Thanks!

SNAFU is probably my second favourite show (grouping s1 and s2 here) right after Hyouka. I will warn you now, the show is GREAT. This an adaptation of an ongoing Light Novel, and with season 2 it basically caught up with the books. The same happened with season 1, and it took 3 years for us to get the continuation. The way things end in season 2 definitely gives signs that there will be a sequel of some sort but it may take time. This should not however stop you from watching, since the character growth in this show from season 1 to season 2 is tremendous, and anyone around here can tell you the same, it's good stuff.

Rakugo -12

Yet that was some strange tear licking, even if it's supposed to emphasize that Kiku wants to squelch her pain or sth.

The rest of the last quarter of the episode really might turn from questionable to brilliant it it's as hossan says. I mean if nothing else I don't want this beautifully understated show have Kiku miraculously hold onto 2 adults like that with one hand for a prolonged duration.

Really curious about the next episode, but then, that's a given by now.

That rakugo performance was ace by the way. Having such a sentimental story from Sukeruko of all people was nice and that's not even taking into consideration that it was an introspective piece for him.

Brp3epaCAAEHGvP.png

What was disappointing about it? I initially didn't find it that amazing at the first episode but as we got to know the characters more and see what drives them, it started to become a really special coming of age story of sorts. All of the cast had things about them that could easily be embraced, and many were people one could truly cheer for. Like Hiro and Sachi's friendship and the trials they faced, David trying to fit in with this group, Yuki battling feelings with Touka and seeing how she interacts with David, but then attempting to not really interfere with things and also recover from his injury, and then Touka trying to handle all these things. The many themes it explored like fitting in with an already tight group and people and trying to maintain that closeness while bringing someone else in as well as lonliness, independence, and friendship/romance, made it a really memorable and engrossing show. I think it really gets at the core of the human condition and joins a small list of other shows that manages to keep things real and entertaining while making us ponder while being immersed in a very enthralling world. Its easily one of the most memorable summer 2014 anime and one that is a spectacular entry in the genre.

Clov

Yes, yes you did. I'm so sorry. Had I seen the post I would have warned you.

To make up for this, I ought to recommend you something better. What sort of anime do you want to watch?

pbayne

Rakugo 12

Nice final performance from Sukeroku. Hit all the right emotions in a very classy way.

I kind of hope
Bon isn't an unreliable narrator(though it would make sense) because it will present a lot of nitpicks/questioning the validity of events in the story. Like why does he present knowledge of scenes he should have no idea about(though that is kind of a narrative concession)? Or why did he wait until the end to present Sukeroku in a good light, he was pretty shitty up until that point?

I could understand wanting to cover up his murder if it was something more sinister though. I dunno we'll see what happens, i have faith the show will pull it off.

Rakugo 12

Nice final performance from Sukeroku. Hit all the right emotions in a very classy way.

I kind of hope
Bon isn't an unreliable narrator(though it would make sense) because it will present a lot of nitpicks/questioning the validity of events in the story. Like why does he present knowledge of scenes he should have no idea about(though that is kind of a narrative concession)? Or why did he wait until the end to present Sukeroku in a good light, he was pretty shitty up until that point?

I could understand wanting to cover up his murder if it was something more sinister though. I dunno we'll see what happens, i have faith the show will pull it off.
Knowledge of scenes where is not present is not an issue if its a dramatized story.

Cornbread78

Heavy Object ep.24/END
Fuck, that was a pretty damn good way to end the series. It sucks that there is so much more material out there but we'll never see it animated at this point. This show has been a real treat to watch over the past two seasons and is unique in so many ways. (I'm going to really miss the ED for this show.) It's a shame more people didn't keep up with it because it just kept getting better!

Hamst3r

I think they're funny and I didn't see an existing collection of them online. They're not on 100% of animals in anime either, so when they appear they're somewhat unexpected and just like bam, a butthole. Also they don't have to draw them, but they do. I dunno, I'm amused when they turn up in shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom