• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just T

Grimgar: 9

Easy going first half. As for the second half, I thought it was odd that Haru suggested going to the mines, seemed a little inconsiderate in regards to Mary but I've read that it was actually her that suggested it in the LN, don't see why they changed that.

Shirayuki-hime: 21

This was a nice episode as well, good to see them just hang out a bit. I also liked the new girl, she was fun.

Grimgar: 9

Easy going first half. As for the second half, I thought it was odd that Haru suggested going to the mines, seemed a little inconsiderate in regards to Mary but I've read that it was actually her that suggested it in the LN, don't see why they changed that.

In LN it's odd too, Mary suddenly suggested and seems she don't have any issue with it.
Depends how the reader/viewer think i guess, i also see some people like this change, some people not.

In LN it's odd too, Mary suddenly suggested and seems she don't have any issue with it.
Depends how the reader/viewer think i guess, i also see some people like this change, some people not.

I'm guessing it is a fruit of her getting some "inspiration" from the group seeking revenge for Manato, succeeding, and moving on with their lives. She clearly still has this tragic event stuck in her mind, so she probably wants to do the same. Just an idea

Just T

Ah I see, I think I still would prefer Mary, just because Haru suggesting it then thinking moments later on how they ignore the place their event happened just made it seem jarring in a way if that makes sense.

blurr

Dimension W 08

This was a pretty fun episode. It had quite a few things going on in terms of characters and their motivations. The action sequences were a hit and miss but good for most of the part.

The African(?) prince's back story that his country is the only place that supplies the metal for the coils feels like it's calling out the Arab countries for Oil production. Maybe this Coils entirely are a symbolic to Crude Oil. By that logic Kyouma is actually riding a horse within the city.

I always found anime that set in rural area (NNB and Mushishi) is quite boring. Then again I living most of the time in small village/city. So I can just go outside and enjoying the scene instead staring at screen.

Non Non Biyori and Mushishi are pretty different. I doubt Mushishi is anything like your normal life - if it is, I'd be rather worried!

I don't know much about Magus Bride, but Hozuki staff makes me happy.

Cornbread78

Below is everything I have compiled for the "Spring Preview" thread, as you can tell, some are really lacking info and some will be edited down. Anything you guys can add will be helpful. I'll cut the list down from the 22 listed below to 15 total shows and just focus on those for the thread and just mention the other ones in passing. Also, if anyone can post the YouTube links for PVs of each show, that is also helpful!

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Concrete Revolutio: Chojin Gensou - The Last Song

In the second season of this non-linear alternate-history tale, superpowered individuals of all kind exist among us. Space aliens, magical girls, androids with hearts of gold, mischevious ghosts, and many more... their existence is protected by the Superhuman Bureau. But who will protect these protectors? And how will they know what to fight for in a nation whose basic values grow divided? As the idealistic superhuman Jiro, working in the Bureau, is forced to confront the dark truths lurking at the heart of his organization and his country, he must find something to fight for... even if it pits him against everything he's ever known.

Loaded with characters, political machinations, and confusing time jumps, the real hook to Concrete Revolutio is its setting. Taking place in an alternate Japan during the 60s and 70s, this anime uses its own versions of Japan's pop culture icons of the past to explore this turbulent period in the country's history, where the nation was divided by protests over what course it should take. Drawing from real events to move its plot (see the first season's OT for some practical examples), Concrete Revolutio is a colorful and challenging work exploring a historical era that rarely gets acknowledged elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Mayoiga

Thirty men and women come together for a bus tour to a ghost town deep in the mountains, Nanakimura. Some speak of an urban legend that this place could be a utopia, unshackled by the outside world. But now, only a faint impression of the lives that once lived here remain.

Despair, boredom, hope... something or other has drawn these thirty individuals to this place. What truth will they find there?

Mayoiga is an original anime series written by Mari Okada (Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans, Toradora, Black Rock Shooter) and directed by Tsutomu Mizushima (Shirobako, Girls und Panzer, Another). With it being an anime original, very little is known about the plot at this point, besides that it's full of mysteries, and that it's "thrilling". It's hard to tell what that'll mean, but with these two creative forces (particularly Mizushima, who has made two different grotesque horror-comedies in Another and Blood-C), there's a good chance that things will get awfully bloody eventually. Whatever happens, odds are good it'll be a crazy ride.

My Hero Academia:

In a few words: A boy wants to be a hero but doesn't have any powers while everyone else in the world does. The strong points of the series are likable characters, fast pacing and striking art style.

Midoriya Izuku, a teenage boy in middle school, lives in a world where superpowers, known as "quirks", have become commonplace and are an active part of society. Midoriya too wants to become a hero and help people, but he is one of the rare cases who lack superpowers. Not one to give up, he still wants to join the best academy for aspiring Superheroes, Yuuei, and use his knowledge to be the best hero he can possibly be.

If you liked shonen series like Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, One Piece, early Naruto and early Bleach, or even Hunter x Hunter and Yuu Yuu Hakusho. Yes. Yes you should. Without spoiling too much, this series is not afraid to go in unexpected directions with its characters and believes that Hard work > Born Power. What I'm saying is that Izuku is an underdog and if you love underdog stories you should totally read this.[/QUOTE]

Super Lovers

Super Lovers is a wholesome manga focusing on the heart. Striking at the core of what makes a human a human it brilliantly highlights the touching relationship between a young orphaned Canadian boy by a prominent writer's family. After a fateful encounter over the summer, the manga switches gears and becomes a dazzling coming of age story of the adopted boy and his relationship with the Kaidou family in Japan.

This innovative series goes against the grain for the romantic drama. Featuring people pursing their dreams of starting their own business while working at a host club, a boy as he grows through the years out of his natural Canadian environment and in the dazzling cities of Japan, and the myriad friendships and family relationships that develop in Japan, it has something to appeal to everyone. It will have one of the purest and most pleasing brotherly love moments anyone could ask for animated. Its a must watch.[/QUOTE]

Sousei no Onmyouji

Sousei no Onmyouji is by the dude who made Binbougami Ga! It's a slightly dark fantasy story that follows a kid, who has given up becoming an exorcist, as he gets roped back into the exorcist world because of his destiny with a talented exorcist girl. It could be a fun and simple battle shone, but it's not just about the action; it delves into the relationship the main character has with the deuteragonist, and how they grow stronger together. It also has pretty good humor, which offsets the despair that gets flung at the protagonists. The recent (and as of now untranslated) chapters of manga are just cliffhangers upon cliffhangers and it’s been pointed out that its setting similarities to Bleach, so if that intrigues you, I'd say try it out.

Big Order
It feel like a rip off of Jojo, without much creativity. Er, honestly, watch this to see some insane trainwreck. Mostly because the MC is a moron and the battles really suck. And then they added fusions out of nowhere. All the characters have really overpowered abilities but use them in the blandest manner possible. Big Order is shit, and I say that as someone who liked Future Diary.

Flying Witch
Flying Witch is a slice of life story about a young witch in training as she revisits her childhood friend in the country sideand stays with her family. Magic is treated as something subtle, so you won't find anything super bombastic about it, instead it focuses on how witches and magic are quietly coexisting with normal society and doesn't seem to be building up to anything big; it's mostly how magic interacts with and witches live in daily life. All in all, it's a pretty relaxing read and should translate well as a cute “healing” anime.

Hundred
“Why would anyone watch it?”

Kabaneri:
From the studio that brought you Attack on Titan with the director of Attack on Titan and the composer of Attack on Titan comes an original show that is totally not Attack On Titan. With trains.

Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney
A courtroom comedy/drama based on the popular game series about a rookie defense lawyer, Phoenix Wright (Ryūichi Naruhodō is his Japanese name), proving his client's innocence from unusual cases. If you're familiar with the games, the show is advertised to cover the events of the trilogy. For those who aren't familiar with the games, the episodes will mainly focus on Wright and his perky assistant Maya Fey (Mayoi Ayasato) going around on investigations, cross-examining liars on the witness stand, and dealing with prosecutors who will stop at nothing to get a guilty verdict.

Joker Game:
The story involves a mysterious spy training organization known as the "D Agency." The organization is established by Lieutenant Colonel Yuuki from the Imperial Japanese Army. His ideals lead him to recruit people beyond military academy graduates and personnel, while training them to become skilled agents in arts of manipulation. These agents would become a specialized team to conduct operations.

Kazuya Nomura, who directed Ghost in the Shell film, (as well as Gits) showed an excellent grasp on how to stage complicated action scenes,

Bakuon
Top Gear, anime version. Seriously, it's cute girl doing cute thing, with a bike.

Terra formars Revenge
It's a sequel to that anime that got ravaged by censors. Watch this for animal and bugs trivia, and for the gore.

Bungou Stray Dogs
Famous japanese author turn into super powered bishonen solving supernatural cases. Watch it for the ikemen and interesting case

Magi : Adventure of Sinbad
is an average spin-off anime of an already average manga.

Jo Jo: Diamond is Unbreakable
Jojo is simply one of the most creative and fabulous battle series around, and Diamond is Unbreakable itself is one of its best-regarded seasons with a wide and diverse cast and an intriguing plot beyond its episodic nature that slowly unravels itself.

Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?
Lucien has been badly burned when he discovered that the girl he fell in love in a MMORPG was a guy and has started living in the mentality that "there are no girls on the internet". Life is up for a surprise for him when he discovers that the player of the character he has "married" ingame is a beautiful girl. The problem is that while cute she more than a little unhinged and cannot discern reality from game, so Lucien and his guild decide to work together to reeducate her and turn her into an acceptable member of society. One of the main Female leads is a yandere.

Notable Missing Shows:
- Kiznaiver (original)
- Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?
- Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
- Seisen Cerberus: Ryuukoku no Fatalités
- The Asterisk War 2nd Season
- Ushio to Tora 2nd Season

On the chopping block:
- Big Order
- Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
- Magi : Adventure of Sinbad
- Hundred
- Bakuon!
- Terra formars Revenge

Input from:
soniccmj1/ salvaPot/ DTL/ thesaucetastic/ ascheroth/ senorardilla/ striferser/ clov/ jonjonaug/ zweizer/ hosannainexcelsis/ nintendoman58/ Diodiablo

I've noticed some references in this thread to 'LN' and it appears to indicate bad writing or poorly focused writing from the context it's used but I thought I'd ask what it means to be sure. I'm presuming that LN = Light Novel which appear to be novels with illustrations initially but are now mostly the same as a classic manga?

What are the negatives associated w/LN vs Manga? Is one presupposed to be even more 'MC as Gary Stu' than Manga because of their younger audience?

Well unlike LNs, the average novel doesn't use up half its word count on just the title alone.

Ahhh so they're often terminally underwritten cliché fests then? It makes sense why I've seen this paired with SAO so often then

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well unlike LNs, the average novel doesn't use up half its word count on just the title alone.

I've noticed some references in this thread to 'LN' and it appears to indicate bad writing or poorly focused writing from the context it's used but I thought I'd ask what it means to be sure. I'm presuming that LN = Light Novel which appear to be novels with illustrations initially but are now mostly the same as a classic manga?

What are the negatives associated w/LN vs Manga? Is one presupposed to be even more 'MC as Gary Stu' than Manga because of their younger audience?

Ahhh so they're often terminally underwritten cliché fests then? It makes sense why I've seen this paired with SAO so often then

Light novels are essentially Japan's equivalent of young adult novels. There are good ones out there, but the general quality tends to be low and a lot of them rely on regurgitating stale otaku tropes and cashing in on fads such as "trapped in an MMO", "guy goes to all-female magical academy", or "incest".

Diodiablo

Banned

From the LN of the same title.

Lucien has been badly burned when he discovered that the girl he fell in love in a MMORPG was a guy and has started living in the mentality that "there are no girls on the internet". Life is up for a surprise for him when he discovers that the player of the character he has "married" ingame is a beautiful girl. The problem is that while cute she more than a little unhinged and cannot discern reality from game, so Lucien and his guild decide to work together to reeducate her and turn her into an acceptable member of society.

Why should I watch this: Yandere.

JulianImp

Except not. Light novels are a whole slew of different works, with very few illustrations interspaced every 40-50 pages.

LNs don't target a younger audience, actually. They don't use furigana (hiragana written next to kanji to make them readable by younger children) for most of their kanji, so they're actually impossible to read by youngsters and are aimed more at teens AFAIK.

Saying LNs are all male power fantasies is like saying all manga are by-the-book battle shounen shows: A gross generalization that ignores that the medium's more than whatever's popular right now. I'm not really into them, but off the top of my head I can tell you Baccano, Kokoro Connect and Durarara are three good series that began as light novels.

Edit: How the heck could I forget Monogatari? That's yet another good series that spawned from a LN.

Basically, people like joining the hive mind and pretending whatever's popular represents the enteriety of what a medium has to offer. Those who only see SAOs or OreImos in LNs are comparable to uninformed people who only thing videogames only consist of ultra-violent CoD and GTA-likes.

Qurupeke

It's sort of quantity vs quality. The bad ones seem to be a lot more than the good ones and stuff like SAO or series with long names and weird premises seem to have become synonymous to them... Personally, I don't really get it, but I haven't invested enough time on the matter. The fact that a lot of my favourite anime series are from (light) novels, really clouds my opinion on them. Still, I find the general hate a bit unjustified. The one thing I'm certain is that they don't have the same huge variety as mangas afaik, which essentially makes any comparison unfair.

Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney
A courtroom comedy drama based on the popular game series about a rookie defense lawyer, Phoenix Wright (Ryūichi Naruhodō is his Japanese name), proving his client's innocence from unusual cases. If you're familiar with the games, the show is advertised to cover the events of the trilogy. For those who aren't familiar with the games, the episodes will mainly focus on Wright and his perky assistant Maya Fey (Mayoi Ayasato) going on investigations, cross-examining liars on the witness stand, and dealing with prosecutors who will stop at nothing to get a guilty verdict.

It might be a better idea to refer to Wright with his localized name like I did and put his Japanese name next to it just to make things easier for people.

EDIT: Thought I'd make things sound a bit more specific.

Light novels are essentially Japan's equivalent of young adult novels. There are good ones out there, but the general quality tends to be low and a lot of them rely on regurgitating stale otaku tropes and cashing in on fads such as "trapped in an MMO", "guy goes to all-female magical academy", or "incest".

Holy shit, you made me spit out my water at work, goddam.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Incest a fad?

Cornbread78

It might be a better idea to refer to Wright with his localized name like I did and put his Japanese name next to it just to make things easier for people.

Good point, updated.

Lucien has been badly burned when he discovered that the girl he fell in love in a MMORPG was a guy and has started living in the mentality that "there are no girls on the internet". Life is up for a surprise for him when he discovers that the player of the character he has "married" ingame is a beautiful girl. The problem is that while cute she more than a little unhinged and cannot discern reality from game, so Lucien and his guild decide to work together to reeducate her and turn her into an acceptable member of society.

Why should I watch this: Yandere.

Watch it for the Yandere, huh? Now that is interesting...

Thank you

kewlmyc

Light novels are usually targeted towards young teens and hardcore otaku. Of course this isn't true of all of them, and there are some great light novels out there like Baccano, Kino's Journey, Monogatari series (I assume), Teenage Romcom Snafu, and Wolf and Spice. However, lately, there seems to be a lot more anime adaptions of the more pandering light novels. These are usually harem shows that feature an overpowered protagonist who isn't really fleshed out so he's easy to self insert onto. It also usually features tons of girls lusting after said protagonist for no real reason other than he's the protagonist, a tacked on action setting like a "battle high school", "mmo world", or "demon war" so there can be some sort of resemblance to plot, and variety amounts of fanservice of the girls ranging from teasing shots to softcore. So many LNs fall into this mold that it just becomes boring and predictable. A good example of this is that last season, two LN adaptions aired on the same day at around the same time, and nearly had the exact same plot, character tropes, and story. It was hilarious.

At least we're currently being spared adaptions of reincarnation light novels. There's a ridiculous amount of light novels and web novels that feature some loser dying and being reincarnated into a fantasy world where he's OP. There's not that many anime adaptions of reincarnation light novels I can think of off the top of my head. Konosuba is one of those, but it's more of a parody than anything.

Jarmel

Banned
Mahouka movie and Ero Manga Sensei anime(TV mostly) announced.

About Ero Manga Sensei:

It also looks like Hiro Kanzaki is reprising his role from OreImo so I imagine the staff will be similar.

Oh boy. The idea of it being a prequel is a buzzkill.

Oh and aren't they supposed to be working on AoT this year? Like wut.

JulianImp

Light novels are usually targeted towards young teens and hardcore otaku. Of course this isn't true of all of them, and there are some great light novels out there like Baccano, Kino's Journey, Monogatari series (I assume), Teenage Romcom Snafu, and Wolf and Spice. However, lately, there seems to be a lot more anime adaptions of the more pandering light novels. These are usually harem shows that feature an overpowered protagonist who isn't really fleshed out so he's easy to self insert to. It also usually features tons of girls lusting after said protagonist for no real reason other than he's the protagonist, a tacked on action setting like a "battle high school", "mmo world", or "demon war" so there can be some sort of resemblance to plot, and variety amounts of fanservice of the girls ranging from teasing shots to softcore. So many LNs fall into this mold that it just becomes boring and predictable. A good example of this is that last season, two LN adaptions aired on the same day at around the same time, and nearly had the exact same plot, character tropes, and story. It was hilarious.

Actually, I wonder how much anime adaptations of trashy LNs have contributed to the public perception of it being a rotten, crappy medium that has nothing of value. Western audiences have really limited access to LNs, so what ends up making its way over here is mostly things that have already proven themselves both in Japan and overseas (due to anime streaming services).

Cornbread78

Might want to update it further as well. I changed the last line, as I thought it sounded too generic.

The line I replaced it with advertises the show much better.

Sounds good, I changed it up, TY.

I need to get this damn testing done.... I'm only on question 9/50 and I only have 4 more hours today and then tomorrow to finish.... uuggh

Oh boy. The idea of it being a prequel is a buzzkill.

Oh and aren't they supposed to be working on AoT this year? Like wut.

I wouldn't be surprised if Attack on Titan S2 slipped to 2017.

Actually, I wonder how much anime adaptations of trashy LNs have contributed to the public perception of it being a rotten, crappy medium that has nothing of value. Western audiences have really limited access to LNs, so what ends up making its way over here is mostly things that have already proven themselves both in Japan and overseas (due to anime streaming services).

Seeing photos of shelves of LNs all featuring similar mediocre art of young girls on their covers doesn't help either.

Jarmel

Banned
Btw how you guys aren't getting your hopes up about getting a Magus anime TV series anytime soon either after the OVAs. The OVAs are going to be released in full by late/end of 2017 so TV series would at the earliest by 2018.

I wouldn't be surprised if Attack on Titan S2 slipped to 2017.

Starting to suspect that might happen too. Someone else can hopefully verify this as I read it on 4chan but supposedly Kabaneri's production isn't going smoothly either.

JulianImp

Seeing photos of shelves of LNs all featuring similar mediocre art of young girls on their covers doesn't help either.

Except when you're at a BookOff or any other similar bookstore all you can see are the sides of the books grouped up by publishing company and work. Most books tend to use generic formatting there that depends on the publisher (identical font, no drawings), and are only color-coded depending on the series (even though they sometimes overlap).

The only books I've seen the covers of were the latest trending ones that are put up on showcase, which do tend to have generic-as-hell drawings. But going to a normal aisle gets you none of that unless you bother to check the covers yourself.

Starting to suspect that might happen too. Someone else can hopefully verify this as I read it on 4chan but supposedly Kabaneri's production isn't going smoothly either.

Wanpack did 2nd key animation on the second episode of Kabaneri in February, so there doesn't seem like there'll be a large amount of lead time on the production before it starts airing.

Thanks for the replies!

OK I can see LN as an analogue for YA, sure the genre as a whole enjoys a poor rep but that's not the same as it all being crap. May also explain why there's so much more extreme fan service stuff, I mean I was expecting the fan service from having watched some stuff 10 years ago but have been disturbed at the seemingly ever lower ages it's been focused on more recently.

rrvv

Non Non Biyori and Mushishi are pretty different. I doubt Mushishi is anything like your normal life - if it is, I'd be rather worried!

True, but some of Mushishi story is similar to folklore that I ussually listen when I am child. Not exactly same but it dose invoke similar feelings.

Anime adaptations of LNs take trashy material and generally make them even trashier by focusing on the lewdest aspects or even inserting more fan service. A ton of them also suffer from poor production and awful pacing as they rush to cover as many books as they can cram into a season.

No Game No Life 1

The edge in this is off the charts.

Seriously, I watched all of it and am so conflicted. On the one hand great art and sharp as nails writing, on the other this doesn't so much have it's cake and eat it too as smear it all over it's face while flipping me off.

Will watch season 2 and probably feel worse about myself

JulianImp

No Game No Life 1

The edge in this is off the charts.

And on the topic of trashy LN adaptations, here's Exhibit A.

I absolutely love the color palette used in the show, but it's absolute trash other than that. Being greeted into the story by little sister striped panties was, ehhhhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom