• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

On a more serious note, what else was worth watching this season besides Rakugo, and Galco? Might need to catch up.

Haikyuu S2 if you watched the previous season.

Nurse Witch Komugi is an idol/ magical girl show/ anatomically incorrect animal things growing out of the head area show. Not my kind of thing but BGBW likes it. Take that as you will.

Edit: Oh yeah, Konosuba and Sekkou Boys, the former in particular, got a good reception too.

Edit2: I'm blind ...

----

Huh, so the director of Rakugo storyboarded plenty of episodes of Arakawa ... How was his Sankarea again ? I think someone mentioned it lost it's way in the last quarter ? I like the opening a lot.

Cornbread78

I'm late but I just finished Erased.
A lot of the impressions in this thread made me feel leery about it but I guess I'm just a sucker because I loved it. The whole thing. I'm going to miss it :(

I'm with ya buddy. It had sine obvious pacing issues towards the end, but I really enjoyed it.

Ep1. SNAFU Season 2.
I enjoy how Yukitano shows significantly more emotions. Especially towards Hikki. She smiles and blushes. Don't know if it's only like this because of the start of a new season or if it's gonna continue. I hope it continues. It got a bit slow with their relationship in Season 1.
It also feels like animations quality got a bit better.

Everythinggers better in S2

NOT SURE IF I CAN TRUST YOU!
Some of these are sequels so I'll have to think about it a bit harder but I'll look into them!
I was kinda considering Konosuba due to seeing screenshots of it but I wasn't sure if it held up by the end.
Hmmm

Watch Konosuba!!!!

Sekko boys wasnt that good, and became very annoying. If they have just used normal idol designs instead of statues it would have been so much better. They could have also not used such old characters. It also needed more singing and chara songs.

Clov

Hey Outlaw Star fans! Funimation has a great update for you all about their upcoming BD release; they're still waiting for HD materials, so I hope you like waiting.

Theonik

Phantom World is good.
Very well.

Huh, so the director of Rakugo storyboarded plenty of episodes of Arakawa ... How was his Sankarea again ? I think someone mentioned it lost it's way in the last quarter ? I like the opening a lot.
Haven't seen Sankarea but his Rozen Maiden was good.

Hey Outlaw Star fans! Funimation has a great update for you all about their upcoming BD release; they're still waiting for HD materials, so I hope you like waiting.
Typical Funi.

Narag

The running joke is it's a 3 episode OVA.

Mailbox

Rosario + Vampire Season 2 [END]

Season 1 was pretty bad tbh. It was horribly repetitive, very monster of the week, terrible digimon-like transformation sequence, massive amounts of panty shots, annoying 4th wall breaks, and I just really didn't give a crap about anything that was happening. I really didn't wanna watch season 2, but I just got bored so why not.

Season 2 is significantly better to season 1. Outside of the panty shots (of which I actually think there are more of in season 2), everything has been improved a lot.

There is a lot more episode and joke variety, any episodes that focus of a monster of the week style of the first season are better fleshed out (exception: episode 5, that was weird, offensive, and just.... idk, i'm ignoring its existence), an actually quite appealing transformation sequence, and much MUCH better implementation of 4th wall breaking (the less annoying bat talking to the viewer, the better). I think because of all this I actually had lots of fun with this season. The panty shots even surprised me quite a bit. Sometimes you just don't expect them to appear but then they do. Its like magic. Really fucking weird perverted magic. But I didn't hate it for some reason. Never felt like it was cheapening the experience by having them there. That said, unfortunately it ends on a harem ending which felt counter to how the end episode was going. Too bad :(

Kokoa is a surprise treat, though. She kinda steals the show.

Overall, if you watched the first season and liked it even a little bit, I'd say give season 2 a try.

sonicmj1

It lost its way in the last three quarters.

You'd be better off watching the season of Rozen Maiden he directed, which stands on its own and is actually pretty solid after a rough first recap episode.

World Trigger Episode 72 – An Evolving Mikumo Squad
Ceghp6HWQAAlMpw.jpg

Good lesson on Hyuse and I loved all the random kiddie drawings. It made most of the explanations fun to hear and read.

Good Yuuma too, and good Chikako as well. Ill miss this.
CegkwFdW4AEPV_t.jpg

phaze

Very well.

They're lying. Don't trust them.

Haven't seen Sankarea but his Rozen Maiden was good.

I have seen like two pics from it but the entire aesthetic and the doll thing scares me off. Sankarea seems much more accommodating to me.
The running joke is it's a 3 episode OVA.
It lost its way in the last three quarters.

You'd be better off watching the season of Rozen Maiden he directed, which stands on its own and is actually pretty solid after a rough first recap episode.

Uh, I guess I remembered that wrongly then. Will check bit more about RM I guess.

Clov

In a bit of an odd note, while Pony Canyon USA was promoting Kuromukuro, Mayoiga, and the Sound Euphonium movie, apparently they haven't decided if they'll be localizing them into English. I wonder how much longer this company will be in the market? They haven't had a lot of successes, and they didn't even dub their most popular title (Euphonium) due to the cost. Part of me wants to wait till all three Euphonium volumes are out to pick them up, since I'm a bit worried about them going under before they release them all. Maybe that'll give the CAD a bit of time to recover too, since it looks like if I want them I'll have to get them from RightStuf.

1459031542394kaui1.jpg

Dayum!

Such an important key event hidden under a bunch of short stories. Nisio is a glorious bastard!

Now we can only wait for the last part of Owarimonogatari, which I think could either end as another new year special or it will be part of a final season which would have content enough for a full cour season.

The first 3 episodes of Sankarea are good and worth watching. You can be content with those. Rozen Maiden is better though. Rozen Maiden is more explictly "Shaft"-like than Rakugo Shinjuu.

If you're interested in Hatakeyama, I'd also recommend episode 6 of Black Butler Book of Circus which he did under his real name Shinichi Omata. It combines the gimmicky direction techniques he uses in Rozen Maiden with the erotic close-ups he uses in Rakugo Shinjuu. A pretty interesting episode.

In a bit of an odd note, while Pony Canyon USA was promoting Kuromukuro, Mayoiga, and the Sound Euphonium movie, apparently they haven't decided if they'll be localizing them into English.

Uh... That's not reassuring.

What is this? You are not supposed to show girls Haikyuu, you are only allowed to imply they exist.

Anyway, weird finale, mostly because it doesn't feel like a finale at all.

Probably because the real finale would be after the Shiratorizawa match, but they ran out of episodes and that match was pretty long in the manga

tuffy

Part of me wants to wait till all three Euphonium volumes are out to pick them up, since I'm a bit worried about them going under before they release them all. Maybe that'll give the CAD a bit of time to recover too, since it looks like if I want them I'll have to get them from RightStuf.
I decided to wait until all of Euphonium was out from the moment it was announced, so you wouldn't be alone. The price-per-minute is higher than pretty much anything in Aniplex's catalog which is iffy enough. But picking up 13 episodes spread across three releases feels like buying a Geneon show from 2003. Might as well wait until it's all out before taking the plunge.

Haikyuu!! S2 25

Great way to send us off, a finale full of good feels. The fight isn't over yet, I am glad that we get to see more of it so soon. This is a series that continues improving with each episode so I am looking forward to seeing Karusono fight some more in the Fall!

In a bit of an odd note, while Pony Canyon USA was promoting Kuromukuro, Mayoiga, and the Sound Euphonium movie, apparently they haven't decided if they'll be localizing them into English. I wonder how much longer this company will be in the market? They haven't had a lot of successes, and they didn't even dub their most popular title (Euphonium) due to the cost. Part of me wants to wait till all three Euphonium volumes are out to pick them up, since I'm a bit worried about them going under before they release them all. Maybe that'll give the CAD a bit of time to recover too, since it looks like if I want them I'll have to get them from RightStuf.

They dont get any titles that seem like safe bets on being popular. Kuromukuro and Mayoiga dont really scream hit title of the season. They should follow and be as selective as Aniplex USA.

Magical boys was the only one I would have bought from them but no dub = no buy. Doesnt make sense to spend 71-89$ x 3 for a 12 episode anime with no dub in 2016.

CR for Joker Game
Media distribution service Crunchyroll announced at Seattle's Sakura-Con on Saturday that it will simulcast the television anime of Kōji Yanagi's spy mystery novel Joker Game and the second season of the monster suspense anime Kagewani. Joker Game will premiere streaming worldwide outside of Asia on April 5 at 1:00 p.m. EDT.

THought itd be a funi anime.

Oh wow. I remember reading up on some of the stuff after the 2nd season of X2 and it seemed like too much left to wrap up in 13 eps.

I haven't read the novels so they may have cut a lot out (and they sure rushed through a lot of it), but they at least reached the ending point of the original series.

Brave Beats Episode 22

Well with so few episodes they had to go with this sort of ending.
Ceg8Tj1WAAEsLpJ.jpg
Ceg8TuFWIAA9M-N.jpg

Best part was Maito becoming a family with Mink and Tank, its like one of my favorite story themes where the kid who had family abandon or die gets adopted and is able to live happily in a new family situation, and then the awkwardness with it being Mink and Tank even. It was so good I had tears from happiness and then the scene before when Tank proposed to Mink, cheesy romance stuff is the best.

But why kids anime go farther than other romance animes, wanted Hibiki Maito to be canon.
Ceg9Ex8WEAAj7-r.jpg
Ceg9FHrW4AQHE7L.jpg

Fun dance anime, silly plot and sometimes good music. TriCool is still best. I hope we get more dance animes.

JulianImp

I mean I dont know how anyone can say that.

In al seriousness, I've got to side with Konosuba here. It was fun to watch for me, while Phantom World looks great but has been really boring in the nine episodes I've watched so far.

While I'm at it...

Durararagi #End
Things got particularily crowded and not interesting for the most part this season, so at least I'm glad the ending managed to wrap things up (albeit hastily). I'd say this season got nothing on the first (by a pretty long shot), and even S1 was kind of not so good compared to what we got of Baccano.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Utawarerumono 25
It's only right that this show would end on such an unusual episode. By far the most dialogue light episode I've seen this season, but what's chosen to be said all feels very calculated. Instead you get shot after shot of panning over just these immense landscape portraits, some play with color saturation, and a pace that reflects on the changes in motion and their impact on characters.

Here are a bunch of images of some of the background work, although some of it is kind of lost in stills.

Jarmel

Banned
Thinking about the ufotable news and none of their upcoming lineup looks remotely interesting. Just an utter waste.

Honestly other than Flip Flappers and Bahamut, none of the shows announced/shown look all that good.

Thinking about the ufotable news and none of their upcoming lineup looks remotely interesting. Just an utter waste.

Honestly other than Flip Flappers and Bahamut, none of the shows announced/shown look all that good.

I would say out of AnimeJapan stuff:

Quite Interested In:
Haikyuu S3
Orange
Flip Flappers
Classicaloid
Days
Yuri on Ice

Moderately Interested In:
D.Gray-man Hallow
Touken Ranbu (both)
Majestic Prince movie (just for Orange CG)
Rage of Bahamut Virgin Something
Time Bokan 24
Kado: The Right Answer
ReLIFE

I think that's everything associated with AnimeJapan; there have been so many announcements I can't keep track of them all.

Cornbread78

True Tears ep.4-5
Is this show trying to be eccentric and or a demi-harem on purpose because it's doing a great job at that. There is lots of drama building up with three girls all int interested in the MC; 1 is going for it, 1 has a boyfriend (Shin's best friend) and 1 is the love-in girl that
might be his sister because she is his dad's love child?
Lots of stuff going on here, but that crazy girl man, she is the definition of eccentric, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom