• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

Not sure how I feel about the Fate/Extra announcement. The final episode should look fucking amazing though as the art direction for the final level in the game was outstanding.

It's a great game, but I think it got a bad rap(like nearly all of Imageepoch's games). They were flawed, but never kusoge.

Jarmel

Banned
It's a great game, but I think it got a bad rap(like nearly all of Imageepoch's games). They were flawed, but never kusoge.

The story in the game though was virtually non-existent so I'm not sure what to make of this. Also don't know how well Shaft will handle the action elements.

cj_iwakura

The story in the game though was virtually non-existent so I'm not sure what to make of this. Also don't know how well Shaft will handle the action elements.

CCC's story is insane. Extra Vanilla was kind of like Fate compared to CCC as Heaven's Feel. Nothing stellar, but more than enough beats to make a decent show out of.

Thoraxes

New Aniplex of America pre-orders up at Rightstuf. (old probably I know ._.)

I'll definitely be in for Nisekoi to keep my collection going, maybe will get Plastic Memories too!

I can't get Wagnaria until someone releases S1 BDs. Having 2/3 of something on one format would kill me inside.

yessss1dubi.png

Thoraxes

Aniplex is bringing Nisekoi S2, Plastic Memories, and Working S3 to BD. Hope someone in the Q&A asks them about Mushishi. Just toss it out on BD already and I'll pay whatever price you want! :(

Now I just need an Owari release announcement, probably in 2 volumes I guess.

First time in a while they haven't been as timely with the Monogatari releases. Even Hanamonogatari came relatively quickly to BD.

pbayne

Are there any Japanese universities similar to the US with dorms and frats, etc? Lets get some college fraternity harem anime done.

Genshiken turns into a weirdish harem by the second season that revolves around the most unlikely character in the series.

Captures the college life pretty well ie sit around and talk shit most of the day then go out drinking.

Chindogg

Nurse Witch KOMUGI R Episode 12

Everything wrapped up, the ship payed off, and there were a ton of cameos.

A fun series with a lot of jokes and great characters. My AoTS.

Qurupeke

Koyomimonogatari 12 - Koyomi Dead [END]

Wow. What the fuck happened. That was one painful way to end this short series and make it relevant to the main plot. I mean, I could think a lot of ways to interpret the "Dead" part, but I was actually expecting another punchilne, that was brutal. You knew that something bad would happen, but it kept building up the tension. Koyomimonogatari really ties perfectly to the next arc,
Mayoi Hell
, whatever this means for Koyomi.
I still can't believe that Gaen would do something so terrible and what the hell happened to Kagenui. Kinda funny if Ougi turns out to be good and Gaen is really the bad one. And meeting Mayoi again, great scene to end it.

Other than that, I loved how we got an episode featuring all the characters, even Sodachi, Kaiki and Koyomi's mother. And Meme, wherever he is. Just small moments from their life, the calm before the storm. Oh, and Senjougahara, waiting for Koyomi on that amazing winter oufit. But Koyomi isn't coming anytime soon.

And now it's the waiting game for both the next season and Kizu...

And everything was part of a strange mobile phone app.

With Shaft working on all kinds of project now I hope that we get the rest of Owarimonogatari as another new year special at least.

duckroll

Looks like the Sunday afternoon slot for TBS/MBS will go from Gundam IBO -> MHA (Spring) -> Aslan2 (Early Summer) -> Nanatai (Late Summer) -> Gundam IBO 2 (Fall).

yami4ct

So confirmed then that HeroAcA really is only 13 episodes.

Depending where they end it, you could do MHA as 13 episodes with really great pacing. I think that's a show that could benefit from a bit quicker an adaptation.

This is all assuming it gets a Season 2, but that feels like a forgone conclusion given the hype.

pbayne

Haikyuu End

No show, don't show me the girls team unless they're getting their own series.
Can't wait for the final.

Komugi End

Ha take that Love Live, this is how to do a real CG idol concert.
The ship sailed and the series ended on the same weird note that it started with so perfect finale really. That season 2 tease hmmm.

lonely

I think I watched the final episode of Haikyuu when I got in from a night out but I cannot for the life of me remember a single thing that happened or even finishing the episode.

phaze

Koyomimonogatari 12

RIP Kagenui.

I'm kinda relieved because this ending means that that one giant ass spoiler on
Sodachi
I read when Owari was airing is 99.9% sure to be fake.

So after the dreadful first half this really picked itself up. Rakugo > Haikyuu >Erased > Koyomimonogatari > Ajin > Dimension W

yami4ct

Just caught the Heaven's Feel news.

Mostly, that's a positive move. HF is too much to do as a single film and really capture it well. On the other hand, getting 3 movies out of Ufotable is probably going to take a stupid amount of time. I think maybe the best balance would've been 2 films and cutting a lot of the redundant intro crap out.

Whatever, I'm excited to see HF at a big screen budget. If they do it right, it should be great. HF almost reads like a horror novel compared to the other 2, so I really hope they can do the dark and violent imagery right. The Assassin fight in particular better be the most top tier Ufotable we can get.

ibyea

Banned
Please Tell Me! Galko-Chan!: 5-12
Haha, it's great that my sister couldn't resist watching the rest of the show, it's relateable and all, apparently. I enjoyed the group watch even if a lot of it is not my kind of joke. The characters are great and the jokes are genuinely funny.

zulux21

Depending where they end it, you could do MHA as 13 episodes with really great pacing. I think that's a show that could benefit from a bit quicker an adaptation.

This is all assuming it gets a Season 2, but that feels like a forgone conclusion given the hype.

I imagine it will continue to get many seasons given the popularity.

that being said I am fine with 13 episodes a year if they are packed full of content and quality animation.

imagine how glorious one piece would be during the desarosa arc if they had done 3-4 chapters per episode and had high quality animation @_________@

It will be interesting to see how people feel about the style of MHA and mob psycho from bones once it starts airing though as both seem to be staying closer to the original manga style than most other clean looking shows anymore. Either way I can't wait to be watching MHA in spring and Mob in summer (summer in general is looking like it will be one of the better anime seasons in a long time)

yami4ct

I imagine it will continue to get many seasons given the popularity.

that being said I am fine with 13 episodes a year if they are packed full of content and quality animation.

imagine how glorious one piece would be during the desarosa arc if they had done 3-4 chapters per episode and had high quality animation @_________@

It will be interesting to see how people feel about the style of MHA and mob psycho from bones once it starts airing though as both seem to be staying closer to the original manga style than most other clean looking shows anymore. Either way I can't wait to be watching MHA in spring and Mob in summer (summer in general is looking like it will be one of the better anime seasons in a long time)

I have full confidence BONES will do MHA justice. Most of the stuff I'm most excited to see will likely be Season 2/3 at this rate, but I definitely support the trend of 13-26 episode season with breaks allowing quality animation and pacing. Should be a great ride.

ibyea

Banned
She and Her Cat: 4, End
The whole series was just sweet, with the cat trying to cheer his owner up in his cat world view kind of way. The whole lonely living combined with the perpetual joblessness was sad, but in the end they managed a nice uplifting ending, mending her relationship with her mother too. Cat died obviously but they dwelled less on the death and more on the life lived. I liked it.

phaze

Arakawa Under the Bridge 12 sort of END

The bar isn't exactly high, it's frighteningly low if I'm being honest, Nino might still be a, even greater after this episode, underdeveloped mystery but goddamn this is like, 2nd best love story ever told. This show has no business being as good as it is in its "serious" parts. Great denouement to the issues that were festering throughout the entire run of the series but without losing for a moment sight of just what kind of show Arakawa Under the Bridge is. 10/10

Theonik

Arakawa Under the Bride 12 sort of END

The bar isn't exactly high, it's frighteningly low if I'm being honest, Nino might still be a, ever greater after this episode, underdeveloped mystery but goddamn this is like, 2nd best love story ever told. This show has no business being as good as it is in its "serious" parts. Great denouement to the issues that were festering throughout the entire run of the series but without losing for a moment sight of just what kind of show Arakawa Under the Bridge is. 10/10
You reminded me I still need to finish S2.

phaze

The first 3 episodes of Sankarea are good and worth watching. You can be content with those. Rozen Maiden is better though. Rozen Maiden is more explictly "Shaft"-like than Rakugo Shinjuu.

If you're interested in Hatakeyama, I'd also recommend episode 6 of Black Butler Book of Circus which he did under his real name Shinichi Omata. It combines the gimmicky direction techniques he uses in Rozen Maiden with the erotic close-ups he uses in Rakugo Shinjuu. A pretty interesting episode.

If I'll watch the first 3 episodes, I'll also watch the rest.
0k4tkrdk2jig.png
I'll check Rozen I guess, Shaft-like is a major + in my book.

Yay.

Heaven's Feel gonna come out in 2017. Three films.

Director Tomonori Sudou
Heaven's Feel gonna come out in 2017.
2017 2017 2017 2017 2017 2017
...aoj4s.gif

Coming 2017. Missed it but everyone is saying it's by SHAFT(?)
Is that the one with hawt Lancer ?

Line_HTX

Awesome. I love me some more Kiniro Mosaic, even if it's just one special episode. More Karen is always the best, haha.

I guess we're at that period now before the start of next season where I can marathon stuff. Good thing that Koyomimonogatari eps are relatively short.

Spring Season is practically here. So much to go through...

Mailbox

Spring season starts in 5 days, should we think of OT names or is that kinda moot?

I wanted to make a custom animated banner for spring, but I kinda got lazy. I'll make one for summer, or for one of the anime OT's.

ibyea

Banned
Rakugo: 10-12
Wow at that revelation in episode 10.
So Yakumo fired Sukeroku for extremely egotistical reasons, turning away one of the best young talents. The show presents quiet a grim picture on the behind the scenes politics of the rakugo institution. The second fantastic aspect of this episode was Kikuhiko's performace. It was sort of sinister and it was the perfect presentation also for the state of mind he was in, with him not wanting to be Yakumo, and wanting to get away into solitude, and yet obviously lonely from the people he lost.

The next episode was a light hearted affair with Kikuhiko trying to take care of Sukeroku and his daughter. Underneath though there is some undercurrent of sadness since the whole setup between Sukeroku and Miyokichi didn't work out. The way Konatsu talked about her mom was a particularly harsh moment. On the upside Kikuhiko manages to motivate Sukeroku's old self into performing. I liked the way when Kikuhiko did it alone it felt sort of harsh but then when Sukeroku joined in the mood completely changed, becoming very playful. Basically two complement each other and one can't be without the other in some ways.

Episode 12 presents a powerful climax, but it feels off. It's bizarre and there is too much dramatic flourish to it. So on one hand I like it on the other hand I can't ignore some of the silliness.

Arakawa Under the Bridge 12 sort of END

The bar isn't exactly high, it's frighteningly low if I'm being honest, Nino might still be a, even greater after this episode, underdeveloped mystery but goddamn this is like, 2nd best love story ever told. This show has no business being as good as it is in its "serious" parts. Great denouement to the issues that were festering throughout the entire run of the series but without losing for a moment sight of just what kind of show Arakawa Under the Bridge is. 10/10

Curious as to what you consider the best love story every told. Second season is worth your while more or less depending on how much weight you put on that mystery. Though beware of downgraded OP and ED.

Rakugo: 10-12

Episode 12 presents a powerful climax, but it feels off. It's bizarre and there is too much dramatic flourish to it. So on one hand I like it on the other hand I can't ignore some of the silliness.

The end of episode 12
feeling off is deliberate. I can elaborate on that if you're OK with manga spoilers.

Quasar

She and Her Cat: 4, End
The whole series was just sweet, with the cat trying to cheer his owner up in his cat world view kind of way. The whole lonely living combined with the perpetual joblessness was sad, but in the end they managed a nice uplifting ending, mending her relationship with her mother too. Cat died obviously but they dwelled less on the death and more on the life lived. I liked it.

It was an uplifting ending, though having an old cat did pain my heart a bit. Though the start of the new cycle had me nodding and remember how it was for me with my childhood cat and how it wasn't really that long before I adopted another.

The end of episode 12
feeling off is deliberate. I can elaborate on that if you're OK with manga spoilers.

Deliberate pls. edit: ok I went back enough pages in the thread to read the spoilers.

I think the end of ep. 12 wasn't at the great level of the rest, but it was "fine". I understand feeling it off because until now, most of this series could have been the biopic of real people, and this part felt more taken from a movie, with all the drama and twists
and deaths
condensed in two minutes.

edit 2: Ok I wasn't crazy, I remembered how in episode 1 there was a brief flashback of the death being inside a house, with blood everywhere, and one on top of the other.

IBO = 25 eps
MHA = 13 eps
Aslan2 = 8 eps
Nanatai = 4 eps
IBO2 = 1 shot TV movie?!?!?!

:)

Arslan and heroAca are the losers in this scheme since its not like they are limited on source material for both. Worst if HeroAca is staying in this slot an s2 wouldnt happen in this scheme until next year unless IBO truly is just getting a movie...

So many of heroaca charasa dont get much action until post ep13 :(

Koyomimonogatari 12 - Koyomi Dead [END]

Koyomimonogatari really ties perfectly to the next arc,
Mayoi Hell
, whatever this means for Koyomi.

Also sheds light on the meaning of
Hitagi Rendez-vous
afterwards and maybe even
Koyomi Reverse
even later on. Interesting to see Nisioisin be so literal and direct.

jgminto

Gundam Tekketsu 25 END
FUCK YOU MCGILLIS, YOU FUCK!!!

That was a great first season though aside from a slow patch in the middle. If anyone was on the fence on watching it, I'd definitely recommend.

duckroll

She and Her Cat Everything Flows - Episode 4 (End)

Yup, that ended like everyone expected from ep1. Except the girl somehow avoided living in a box. How she managed to get a job we will never know. Deeper and more meaningful than Eva Death and Rebirth. Would watch again. 10/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom