• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh lol, Jiro Ishii finally said Reoko is heroine of Bubuki/Buranki, not villain.
Man this show is crazy but i can't wait next season, at least gonna see how will MC end up with Reoko.
Oh yeah also gonna expect something crazy will happen in Under the Dog.

Why would reoka have been an villain when her motives were in line with a-chans, their groups even worked togeter on one but two separate occasions now.

Sölf

Shinsekai Yori 01
Here we go! I still have no idea what the heck is going on, but the setting so far is interesting. And I already love that ending theme. <3

Just T

Gintama: 316

Well that was a nice place to stop. It has been one amazing wild ride since I started watching this series a couple of months back so not constantly having new material of it to watch will feel odd for a minute, definitely going to miss this. Also that last image whew.

Cornbread78

i found the ending to be a little sad in golden time, spoilers ahead:
his previous life was alive, it was like its on being and it pretty much dies at the end for this new consciousness that took over his body to live on. and like you said, that bridge part was really dumb. like did linda actually see ghost banri or was that all a figment of his imagination?

like you, Your Lie in April had an effect one me too, it got me into romcoms, I needed me some happy endings after that show and then i realized that romcoms are actually pretty decent, they're dumb fun.

Golden Time:
"ghost Bunri was just a visualization of his memories and not a ghost though. The only time it acted as a ghost was when it grabbed the ring from the water. I still have no idea why they shoes to do that.... Anyhowm the ending was very fitting in the end and was a pretty sweet moment. I approved, lol.

That's one of the main reason's I've watched so many and romcom's and harem's over the past ear and a half because they are often just dumb fun to watch. There aren't too many serious ships that are done in a direct fashion and not sheltered from tropes and ambiguous endings, so I've given up looking for that and gone straight for the fun. I guess Clannad and
SAO
(and a couple others) gave me everything I needed there, lol.

Side question on Mayoiga:
WeVLHfZ.jpg

They announced the rest of the cast of 30 finally, and the sick part of me can't wait to watch these 30 people get picked off 1 at a time...

Ok, back to business:

It looks like the first episode is set to air on 4/1 to a limited network, then the rest of Japan on 4/8-9. Pony Canyon has the rights for distribution, but what are the chances this is not released in the West?

Golden Time:
"ghost Bunri was just a visualization of his memories and not a ghost though. The only time it acted as a ghost was when it grabbed the ring from the water. I still have no idea why they shoes to do that.... Anyhowm the ending was very fitting in the end and was a pretty sweet moment. I approved, lol.

That's one of the main reason's I've watched so many and romcom's and harem's over the past ear and a half because they are often just dumb fun to watch. There aren't too many serious ships that are done in a direct fashion and not sheltered from tropes and ambiguous endings, so I've given up looking for that and gone straight for the fun. I guess Clannad and
SAO
(and a couple others) gave me everything I needed there, lol.

Side question on Mayoiga:
WeVLHfZ.jpg

They announced the rest of the cast of 30 finally, and the sick part of me can't wait to watch these 30 people get picked off 1 at a time...

Ok, back to business:

It looks like the first episode is set to air on 4/1 to a limited network, then the rest of Japan on 4/8-9. Pony Canyon has the rights for distribution, but what are the chances this is not released in the West?

4/1 is WOWOW channel, it's a TV channel just not a free channel though(like AT-X).
So i still believe CR or funi will get it.

4/1 is WOWOW channel, it's a TV channel just not a free channel though(like AT-X).
So i still believe CR or funi will get it.

I expect Mayoiga will simulcast in coordination with its Animeism broadcast, which means it would start next week. I doubt WOWOW would be amenable to it streaming simultaneously with their paid service airing.

Qurupeke

Spring anime season hype.

Boku No Hero Academia: Mostly interested because I read the manga, I hope it has worthy visuals and animations.
Ace Attorney: I hope it's good, but I doubt it. :(
Joker Game: Looks interesting and it kind of reminds me a non whimsical Baccano! It hope it's not boring.
Kiznaiver: I hope it's not very bad.
Uchuu Patrol Luluco: Probably AOTS. I really liked the CM that I only watched a couple of days ago.
Kabaneri: I really like what I've seen and heard so far, and it's actually one of the most promising shows this season for me.
Sakamoto Desu Ga: I expect it to be as good as the manga, I'm optimistic. I have a feeling it won't end up impressing a lot of people though.
Flying Witch : Better be good and not boring, because I love how this looks.
Concrete Revolutio S2: It's going to be insane, isn't it? :D
Jojo Part 4: If the hype around it is to be trusted, this has a good chance to be better than the previous Jojos, and that's something.

And I'll probably check out:
Mayoiga: It may be interesting as a mystery...?
Bungou Stray Dogs: I don't really care about it and I didn't like much what I've seen, but it's Bones and people seem to hype it, so it may be not bad... I guess.
Netoge: Seems like trash, some people said it's good, I don't believe them.

I don't really expect to watch all of them weekly, it's mostly a list of the shows I'll check out for at least episodes 1-3, before I drop them (indefinitely). I think these are mostly the popular ones, so there might still be a hidden gem in the trash. I may checkout Kagewani too, but probably after it's over.

I couldn't help it and let Genshiken stay incomplete, so I went and watched all the rest of it, season 3 and OVAs.
Short story, it's not good. New characters are trash all across the board but they also managed to mess up the old characters as well. Oguie, Ohno, Sasahara. They are but a shadow. Flat and boring. Only redeeming factor was Madarame and Kasukabe. Their story actually evolved and was done well. Shame since that was not the main focus. Hato had big focus and it was just bleh. Not entertaining. The other two girls were totally boring as well. Sue and Kuchiki were good as comical relief.
The whole style and atmosphere of this third season was bad and uninteresting compared to season 1 especially. Ohno and Oguie especially went from interesting characters with good emotions to those super-bland ones. Wow, Oguie was very interesting in season 1+2 but here she was so bland.
She remembered how she and Sasahara went together at a trip but weirdly I never saw an episode about that. The whole naming and OVA are not very clear but I believe I watched everything.
Either way, Genshiken piqued at season 1. Season 2 was ok, different but ok. Season 3 is bad and should not have happened, at least this way.

Jintor

yeah i dropped the new manga like three chapters in.

it sucked.

genshiken first manga run will live forever in my memories.

Spring anime season hype.

Sakamoto Desu Ga: I expect it to be as good as the manga, I'm optimistic. I have a feeling it won't end up impressing a lot of people though.

I'm more hopeful about the other DEEN comedy this season, Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou, which everyone who hasn't should watch the PV of, because it's amazing and one of the best edited trailers I've seen in a while.

Mayoiga: It may be interesting as a mystery...?

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a serious mystery. The prescreening impressions I've seen have said the first episode is hilarious, so expect another in Mizushima's series of black comedies such as Blood-C and Another.

Qurupeke

I'm more hopeful about the other DEEN comedy this season, Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou, which everyone who hasn't should watch the PV of, because it's amazing and one of the best edited trailers I've seen in a while.
That PV... Well, it seems pretty crazy in the artstyle, animation and music. I'm still not sure if it's something I'd enjoy, but I'm willing to check it if it ends up as fun. Is it a short and if so how long?
I wouldn't get your hopes up for a serious mystery. The prescreening impressions I've seen have said the first episode is hilarious, so expect another in Mizushima's series of black comedies such as Blood-C and Another.

Oh... There are too many animes in Friday anyway. I'll probably wait for the impressions here.

brawly

Shingeki no Bahamut 3

First episode was really good, last two were okay. I like the sense of adventure, music and animation. Although the OP is trash. Nice ED though.

pbayne

Gintama 316

Kondo rocking that FF8 squall scar.

Shit that ED, every time i see Okita's sister i get sad. Shinsengumi are the GOAT Gintama characters.

From the New World 6

Bleh. If you're going to have an episode that's basically a series of action sequences, you at least should make the action good.

Also, damn, the music is garbage.

Just look at this. This is a prime example of a bad layout:

Ascheroth

Gintama - 316

Farewell, Gintama. You shall be missed. I await the day I can say 'welcome back'.
Can't believe it's been a year already..

Chindogg

The manga is still ongoing according to MAL, but I have no idea what they would have left to adapt. You would think they would follow the story until Zen is given his own castle/city to rule over with Shirayuki.

There's actually a lot left to cover in the manga.
Kiki saying she'll propose to Mitsuhide needs to be in anime form dammit.

JulianImp

Aww, looks like I missed the talk on Yu-Gi-Oh-style Uno and pink-haired girls who don't want to be MCs. Still, I think those kinds of things can be fun, but I think there needs to be something else there besides just pointing at tropes and laughing to make such a series last.

I haven't had that much free time to actually watch stuff, but I guess I'll have to wrap a couple seasonal series up I haven't watched the final episodes of, keep going with Eureka and probably go back to my Monogatari rewatch sometime soon.

ibyea

Banned
From the New World 6

Bleh. If you're going to have an episode that's basically a series of action sequences, you at least should make the action good.

Also, damn, the music is garbage.

Just look at this. This is a prime example of a bad layout:

The first arc of the show is rough, I will say, as much as I like the show.

Oh I guess I should watch Nozaki-kun, since I love the other three in that list way more than is healthy.
Well to be entirely fair I loved Nozaki-kun but it's much different than the other ones I listed which are universally agreed to be great.

Nozaki-kun had a lot of fans but it'll have to withstand the test of time. If you're curious about a show about a wacky romance Manga author who is the object of adoration of Paras (Pokemon) and it shows some really funny Manga making jokes, then go for it.

The cast of supporting characters really makes the show.

Qurupeke

Phantom World [END]

Really good action, a spectacular battle and I liked the
summoning twist. They turned it to a Pokemon battle. I'm impressed that Haruhiko was so overpowered...
Not much to say other than that, as they didn't go anywhere with the story, despite having a really nice antagonist now. And lol at the cop out with the device... The worst thing is that there's a kiss in this episode, but not with the right girl. :|

I wanted to see the twist of the LN, but I'm sure they changed the show a lot compared to the original, and made it a lot more episodic. I read Kuma girl was also anime original. A shame, as I had seen the LN covers when this started and I was shocked at how different the sequel seemed. It could turn the show to something more serious(or maybe "edgy" is more appropriate), but I guess they played it safe till the very end... I wonder if they were actually going for it and then rejected it, as the first 2-3 episodes must be pretty close to the source material, despite not doing much with Reina's healing ability or the Phantom company and the device.

Not sure what I can say about this show, as I loved it some times and others it was just insufferable. I'm leaning towards the former more though. The show generally tries to invoke a plethora of emotions with varying degrees of success. There were pure fanservice episodes, some more dramatic ones, and episodes that were more comedic or laid back. It had great animation, nice visuals, good characters, decent action but pretty much anything else could be much better. I'd watch a second season, but with the changes in it, I doubt they'll bother. After the super necessary beach episode on the BD, I guess the series is over.

Hakaba Kitaro 7

When the werewolf gentleman leaps out of the train, we get a silhouette that looks like it could have come from a Saul Bass movie opening sequence, such as the ones for The Man With the Golden Arm or Anatomy of a Murder:

When we get a sharp cut to red accompanied by a dull thud:

that tells us everything we need to know about what happened to the man.

From the New World

Easily among its worst episodes.

The first arc of the show is rough, I will say, as much as I like the show.

Yeah, this is the point where I dropped the show while it was airing. There's supposed to be some really good stuff later on, so I'm going back to it now as part of a general attempt to mop up stuff I want to watch that I haven't yet from the past couple years.

Cornbread78

Onegai Teacher ep.1-3
This whole set-up is kind of weird. Student x teacher pairing here, but on all weird terms. The kid is 18 but acts and looks like he is 13, so it's really weird, but hey, have fn fun and go get it big guy!

So I read the synopsis of the second LN for Phantom World and oh my goodness.

Season 2 first impressions are gonna be exactly like Code Geass R2 episode 1 first impressions.

Gintama 316 END

I'm not ready for this post-Gintama world of mine yet.

The ending is perfect. All the main characters coming to understand each other by eating each others shit food or just fighting it out. But Otae being nice to Kondo makes me think he's going to die.

Overall this Gintama season was...more Gintama, so better then everything else by defualt. There were plenty of iffy episodes, but the Farewell Shinsengumi Arc might just be the height of Gintama thus far, continuing the lineage of excellent serious arcs that surpass each other one after the other.

The void in my heart left by Gintama going on break will be filled with JoJo part 4, at least

Gintama 316 END

I'm not ready for this post-Gintama world of mine yet.

The ending is perfect. All the main characters coming to understand each other by eating each others shit food or just fighting it out. But Otae being nice to Kondo makes me think he's going to die.

Overall this Gintama season was...more Gintama, so better then everything else by defualt. There were plenty of iffy episodes, but the Farewell Shinsengumi Arc might just be the height of Gintama thus far, continuing the lineage of excellent serious arcs that surpass each other one after the other.

It's not a post gintama world yet. I mean the manga is still ongoing, and the image at the very end very much suggests we'll get the end of the manga adapted sometime once it's over. :D

It's not a post gintama world yet. I mean the manga is still ongoing, and the image at the very end very much suggests we'll get the end of the manga adapted sometime once it's over. :D

I mean this is the first time since I started watching Gintama a year ago where there is no more Gintama for me to actively look forward to, sans the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom