• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

How do you feel about Pocky?

Wait, do you mean Marie?
pfE9I5v.png

Qurupeke

So I read the synopsis of the second LN for Phantom World and oh my goodness.

Season 2 first impressions are gonna be exactly like Code Geass R2 episode 1 first impressions.

Haha, pretty much. I wonder how people reacted on stuff like Madoka too. I love it when people's expectations are subverted.

Too bad that in Phantom World's case, even if it gets a S2, it will probably diverge from the Light Novels.

Phantom World 13

Too little, too late. Show was visually amazing. But that's it. We got episodic adventures of kids going after oddities. There was little reason to care about said kids up until the last 3 episodes, which were pretty great, but again, it was too little too late. You can't expect your audience to stay entertained until the very end, and ONLY then give them some story. But hey I guess that's what all the fanservice in this was for right? Ultimately, this was disappointing and my new least favourite KyoAni effort. The whole idea could have been so cool, the Phantoms were interesting.

Sölf

Phantom World 11
I am catching up. This was probably the best episode so far. I like stuff like this and I prefer it much more over the no story episodes we got before. Mai is still best girl btw.

Just T

Myriad Colors Phantom World: 13

That little fight scene was pretty cool, the other parts of the episode didn't do much for me. I thought the three episodes before this were pretty good but overall this show is abysmal. It got that Kyoani shine and some really appealing designs but that just doesn't make up for how dull this was with the characters and the episodic approach. Just disappointing.

JulianImp

I still haven't watched eps 9-13 of Phantom World, mostly because the episodic and downright boring stories that appeared to be little more than set-ups into fanservice-y situations. I guess I might watch it until the end if it actually does step up on a couple things near the end.

I hope they do an OVA for a mini Katsura arc that wasnt adapted too.

The only Katsura I know in anime is from School Days, so you've just reminded me that it was a thing. Damn it.

Phantom World 13

Too little, too late. Show was visually amazing. But that's it. We got episodic adventures of kids going after oddities. There was little reason to care about said kids up until the last 3 episodes, which were pretty great, but again, it was too little too late. You can't expect your audience to stay entertained until the very end, and ONLY then give them some story. But hey I guess that's what all the fanservice in this was for right? Ultimately, this was disappointing and my new least favourite KyoAni effort. The whole idea could have been so cool, the Phantoms were interesting.

You'll probably be very happy with what's in store for a potential season 2, looking at the light novel synopsis for volume 2.

Cornbread78

Phantom World END
no7qDcc.gif

eCi4bJc.gif

7wOQBjg.gif

This was a pretty good episode, Albrect stole the show with his PC mastery, lol.
If the rest of the episodes could have been like these last three, then there was an opportunity for a pretty damn good show here, but as it is now, it was average, but looked really really good. I wonder if sales will be good enough to pursue a second season.

Let me guess, the harem comes into play for real in a potential season 2, right?

Sölf

I still haven't watched eps 9-13 of Phantom World, mostly because the episodic and downright boring stories that appeared to be little more than set-ups into fanservice-y situations. I guess I might watch it until the end if it actually does step up on a couple things near the end.

I just watched 12. If 13 is similar, you should definitly watch 11-13. Not sure if 9 and 10 are really important (I doubt it), but 11-13 are actually good. Going to watch 13 now.

I expect Mayoiga will simulcast in coordination with its Animeism broadcast, which means it would start next week. I doubt WOWOW would be amenable to it streaming simultaneously with their paid service airing.

Chinese site will release official subs at every friday 22:30 china time, start at April 1, don't think CR/Funi can't do the same.

Phantom World END

Enigma only spinoff please, the only thing I really liked about this show, outside of looking at the pretty smoke, water and sand animations.

Exalted

Phantom world 13

Decent episode to finish of the serie,. The final fight was nice, and i liked the upgraded summons. As a whole this show wasn't really anything outstanding, didn't really have much story , but it did still managed to have some really entertaining episodes, some serious ones , some outright crazy, and be one of the best animated shows of the season. I liked the visuals in the show. It was a fun ride.

Qurupeke

Meanwhile, we got the anime original Kuma girl and the
3rd
PW Light Novel has this character.
Mai's sister, Mei.
Kyoani just wanted an anime to test front twin tails and bear addiction.

JulianImp

I still feel like KyoAni's prowess was wasted on an anime such as Phantom World. How good a show looks can only take it so far, and the fanservice and absolute lack of plot for at least 3/4s of its run were bad enough that no amounts of gorgeous animation could possibly redeem it in my eyes.

Will probably jump straight to 11-13 if I do end up watching it.

Also, upgraded summons? I'm obviously speaking out of context, but it was such an obvious and generic plot device that I'm not at all happy that the MC gets his joke summons powered-up during the final episode to fight some particularily powerful foe.

Edit: Wut at that spoiler-tagged character. So generic.
I'm also reminded of Hakua-sama, which can never be a good thing.

Stop teasing us and spill the beans.

All right. Here's the synopsis according to the show's wiki. I'm not gonna spoiler tag it since it's literally the synopsis for the LN.

We see an adult Haruhiko fight in a war against Phantoms. Unable to kill the Phantom Rupa, she goes on to eradicate two-thirds of the human population. What's left of humanity lives in the underground city of Gehenna. Haruhiko blames himself for the apocalypse with Mai, Reina, Koito and others as his mental supports. As his friends fall one by one, Haruhiko swears that even if he gives his soul to the devil, he will eradicate the Phantoms. As he is swallowed by the darkness of revenge, Haruhiko rises to use a forbidden ability in hopes to finally end the struggle.

So yeah, it goes from harem adventures to Attack on Titan.

Ascheroth

The only Katsura I know in anime is from School Days, so you've just reminded me that it was a thing. Damn it.

I haven't watched 7-10 and don't feel like I've missed anything of importance. Still need to watch 13 though.

Sölf

Phantom World 13 END
Well, that was now definitly the best episode. The last 3 episodes were good and like basically all others, this show could have been so much more. The complete absence of plot for ~8 episodes hit really hard. I mean, I was basically 1-2 weeks behind the whole time after the first 2-3 episodes because it wasn't interesting enough. I had my fun watching it, but if I had to recommend it to someone I would say watch the first 3-4 episodes and then jump straight to episode 11 and skip everything in between, because it's not needed. If we get a second season I really hope it will be more story and less of this comedy harem slice of life filler stuff.

All right. Here's the synopsis according to the show's wiki. I'm not gonna spoiler tag it since it's literally the synopsis for the LN..

...and reading this, holy shit. I need this. KyoAni please!

So the MC basically gives in to the Satsui no Hadou. So edgy!

The disconnect between the first and second volumes appears to make absolutely no sense. WTF.

It makes even less sense considering the synopsis for volume 3 seems to indicate things taking place back in volume 1's setting again.

From what I can gather from the comments on the wiki,
it seems that Volume 1, which the anime apparently covered, was a dream reality created by Haruhiko and Volume 2 is the real world. Volume 3 involves Haruhiko going back in time to fix things and save all his friends who died in volume 2, basically turning the series into Steins;Gate.

Or something like that. Some comments are claiming that nothing in the anime has anything to do with the actual LNs itself. It's a mess.

Cornbread78

Sölf;199657524 said:
Phantom World

...and reading this, holy shit. I need this. KyoAni please!

watching everyone die around him in a fit of despair, holy crap that sounds horrible in a "I'm scared for my emotions" kinda way. Watching Mayoiga this season could prove difficult enough as it is...

It makes even less sense considering the synopsis for volume 3 seems indicate things taking place back in volume 1's setting again.

it seems that Volume 1, which the anime apparently covered, was a dream reality created by Haruhiko and Volume 2 is the real world. Volume 3 involves Haruhiko going back in time to fix things and save all his friends who died in volume 2, basically turning the series into Steins;Gate.

Or something like that. Some comments are claiming nothing in the anime has anything to do with the actual LNs itself. It's a mess.

Damn, talk about mind fu(k...

Sölf

It makes even less sense considering the synopsis for volume 3 seems indicate things taking place back in volume 1's setting again.

Or something like that. Some comments are claiming nothing in the anime has anything to do with the actual LNs itself. It's a mess.

What the fuck. And we got this?
...how far along are the translations? xD

ibyea

Banned

Or something like that. Some comments are claiming that nothing in the anime has anything to do with the actual LNs itself. It's a mess.

Oh god, this whole thing sounds disastrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom