• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Golden Time 1-24

Just finished marathoning this and damn, I gotta say I didn't expect to like it as much as I did since I was kind of down on it when I first started it. I suppose I basically did the worst thing I could do going into it by expecting another Toradora lol. Once I accepted that it wasn't going to be as good as that I started enjoying it a lot more.

Some parts felt a little rushed though, especially near the end with the conflict all pretty much resolving in a bit of an info dump fashion. And that bit on the bridge didn't make too much sense, but I didn't mind too much since I still got the ending I wanted out of it. Speaking of that, Ghost Banri probably was the weakest part of this series, it definitely felt like it could have been done a more interesting way, but since he really only did stuff in a few episodes it just felt kind of forced. It was a lot more interesting when it was presented as his old memories overwriting his new ones.

Also it occurred to me how much of an impact watching Your Lie in April had on me, since before it I hadn't really sat down to watch any anime besides checking out the occasional movie or just watching the Funimation Channel in a few years. In the two weeks since then I've finished 6 different series, bought some manga that wasn't just UQ holder, and will probably end up buying all of My Little Monster since the anime got me invested in it enough even with it's lackluster ending.

BluWacky

I've just replaced my Noein DVDs with the Blu Ray edition.

Big mistake. The Bluray - at least the UK release, which is literally the Funimation BD reprinted with absolutely no alterations - is a terrible upscale as far as I can see, the vast majority of the show is incredibly fuzzy and washed out. Random shots will look properly upscaled - in episode 1 for instance there's a scene with Koriyama and Uchida in their car where most of the shots look awful and then there's one crystal-clear shot.

Unless it's supposed to look like that?

Noein is one of my favourite series so I'm really disappointed about this. I daren't check my favourite episodes and sequences for how fuzzy they might be :(

I have a sneaking suspicion I knew that this was a bad release when it came out in Japan as well, but rather held out hope it might be "fixed". The show still has wonderful production values, but I wish that everything looked as crisp and clear as the subtitles do :(

On the plus side, all the disc art and the included art cards are from the original JP release, unlike the ugly, repeated artwork that Manga used on their release.

TUSR

Banned
Golden Time 1-24

Also it occurred to me how much of an impact watching Your Lie in April had on me, since before it I hadn't really sat down to watch any anime besides checking out the occasional movie or just watching the Funimation Channel in a few years. In the two weeks since then I've finished 6 different series, bought some manga that wasn't just UQ holder, and will probably end up buying all of My Little Monster since the anime got me invested in it enough even with it's lackluster ending.
Golden Time definitely had its faults but after YLiA, were you just glad everything worked out in the end of Golden Time?

Your Lie is still crushing me emotionally. (Even posted about it last page)

Trying to take my mind off of it with some comedys.

Cornbread78

Golden Time definitely had its faults but after YLiA, were you just glad everything worked out in the end of Golden Time?

Have you seen Full Moon Wo Sagashite yet?

BTW, for comedy:
D-Frag
B Gata H Kei
Konosuba

Golden Time 1-24

Just finished marathoning this and damn, I gotta say I didn't expect to like it as much as I did since I was kind of down on it when I first started it. I suppose I basically did the worst thing I could do going into it by expecting another Toradora lol. Once I accepted that it wasn't going to be as good as that I started enjoying it a lot more.

Some parts felt a little rushed though, especially near the end with the conflict all pretty much resolving in a bit of an info dump fashion. And that bit on the bridge didn't make too much sense, but I didn't mind too much since I still got the ending I wanted out of it. Speaking of that, Ghost Banri probably was the weakest part of this series, it definitely felt like it could have been done a more interesting way, but since he really only did stuff in a few episodes it just felt kind of forced. It was a lot more interesting when it was presented as his old memories overwriting his new ones.

Have you seen Clannad/Clannad After Story yet?

Pretty much lol. And yeah, YLiA wounded my soul pretty bad, although aside from getting me back into watching anime frequently I've also started (slowly) getting back into drawing too.

Have you seen Clannad/Clannad After Story yet?

Oh man, it's been years since I saw Clannad, although I never watched much of After Story, just a little bit way back when it was on Netflix. Although I do know how it parts of the story go already and I'm not really looking to have my soul broken again. I'll probably rewatch either Ano Natsu or Hanasaku Iroha next.

Cornbread78

You KNOW I was all about KonoSuba.

Oh yeah, duh...

Baka to Test would work well
The Magician's Academy

I rather liked Minami-ke, and Genshiken which I'd consider a comedy.

I watch most harem series for the comedy, lol

Oh man, it's been years since I saw Clannad, although I never watched much of After Story, just a little bit way back when it was on Netflix. Although I do know how it parts of the story go already and I'm not really looking to have my soul broken again. I'll probably rewatch either Ano Natsu or Hanasaku Iroha next.

After Story is amazing and worth the watch still because there's just no other experience like it.

Now Full Moon Wo Sagashite, that is another tough one to watch at times, but beautiful.

Haikyuu - Complete

It's good. Would've liked some more moments where the character design goes nuts for a second. There were plenty neat action shots but nothing compares to that.

Haikyuu S2 - 01

Only five minutes in but lmao, somehow this first practice match within the team was stupidly hype. Maybe thanks to the music.

duckroll

Snow White with the Red Hair - Episode 23-24 (End)

Yay. It's over. I guess? I liked the ending but nothing really happened... Ep23 was pretty funny though. Kinda sad that in the entire season the only episode Ando storyboarded was the finale. Didn't even have a brutal sword fight to the death. Sigh. I still believe in Under the Dog...

Cornbread78

The manga is completed. Did the 50 episodes anime cover the 17 volumes of manga?

Not 100% sure, but it has a very satisfying ending that makes sense, so I would assume so.

Gotta have a reason to keep the harem going if he can't pick anyone.

The maid is the best character by far, but the manga readers pointed out last night that she actually plays as much larger role that we haven't seen yet!

Snow White with the Red Hair - Episode 23-24 (End)
Yay. It's over. I guess? I liked the ending but nothing really happened... Ep23 was pretty funny though. Kinda sad that in the entire season the only episode Ando storyboarded was the finale. Didn't even have a brutal sword fight to the death. Sigh. I still believe in Under the Dog...

S3 when?

Cornbread78

Nah, it's done. They tied everything they wanted to tie up and it ended with a big FIN.

The manga is still ongoing according to MAL, but I have no idea what they would have left to adapt. You would think they would follow the story until Zen is given his own castle/city to rule over with Shirayuki.

Oh lol, Jiro Ishii finally said Reoko is heroine of Bubuki/Buranki, not villain.
Man this show is crazy but i can't wait next season, at least gonna see how will MC end up with Reoko.
Oh yeah also gonna expect something crazy will happen in Under the Dog.

Btw why Reoko's original design looks nothing like right now.
https://twitter.com/kymg/status/714450037778984960
p2bOvKg.jpg

Sölf

Okay guys, decide what I should next during the season gap, before all shit starts up:

- Ef (Season 1, maybe 2)
- Shinsekai Yori
- Iron Blooded Orphans (seen EP 1 so far)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sölf;199608246 said:
Okay guys, decide what I should next during the season gap, before all shit starts up:

- Ef (Season 1, maybe 2)
- Shinsekai Yori

I expect most people here will say Shinsekai Yori out of those choices.

Cornbread78

Sölf;199608246 said:

- Ef (Season 1, maybe 2)
- Shinsekai Yori

If you like Romance ad Drama, watch Ef- A Tale of Memories (melodies wasn't as good)
If you want some Sci-fi/drama watch Shinsekai Yori
If you want Mecha watch Gundham

I think you should watch Little Busters though, lol.

Line_HTX

Minami-ke maybe? There's at least 3 seasons of it, lol.

zulux21

Your Lie in April is still haunting me.

Any comedy suggestions, I haven't seen many.

my top anime comedies. (heavily skewed to RomComs since I dislike most Tsundare based and Moe Based comedy)

School Rumble. (over the top comedy)

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (watching the first season helps but is not needed to get the humor it can be watched stand alone)

Skip Beat (though it's not a pure comedy it has plenty of great moments, though it also has some downers)

Ouran High School Host Club. (situational rom com with a focus on the comedy)

One Outs (I don't know if this one is supposed to be a comedy as it's more of a physiological thriller (aka a baseball version of deathnote) but there is a lot of funny scenes in it)

One Punch Man (gag action show with good visuals)

Yakitate!! Japan (parody shonen show using bread as a serious tournament setting)

Great Teacher Onizuka (what do you get when an ex gangster who can't completely get rid of his roots becomes a teacher to some of the worst kids in the world? Pure comedy gold with some very very very wrong themes from time to time.)

Kodomo no Omocha (goofy young love rom com)

Nodame Cantabile (a lot like you lie in april, just with lighter tones and some good comedy here and there. Does have some serious moments as well though)

Ore Monogatari!! (goofy highschool rom com that breaks most of the tropes)

Genshiken (and we are up to college with this one that focuses on otaku culture with a more genuine feel to it)

I My Me! Strawberry Eggs (this one has some wrong themes, but at its heart it is innocent. it's about a stand up guy that wants to show guys can teach girls just as well as women can at an all girls school)

Oh Edo Rocket (aliens and fireworks and just a goofy time)

No Game No Life (some people take issues with themes from this series, but if you can get past them there is a fun story with lots of solid comedy in this one)

and if you really want to cleanse your pallet from you lie in april and just curl up in the corner repeatedly going WTF DID I JUST WATCH!!!!!!!!

Hen Zemi a show with funny moments, but at the same time you will be asking yourself if it is really alright to be watching it, and if you are a horrible person for finding some things funny. You will also ask yourself, why am I still watching this @_@

oh and of course...

dragon ball z abridged :p

zulux21

Nozaki-kun was OK. Wouldn't put it in a best category.

nozaki in a bubble is just ok.
nozaki if you watch a bunch of shojo though is great as it does a great job just bashing the tropes to create something full of laughs.

just like you really can't watch Yakitate Japan until you have seen some shonen series with tournaments as a lot of the jokes fall flat without knowing what they are making fun of.

or alternatively, you can watch dragon ball z abridged and enjoy it just fine but there are a lot of jokes you will only get if you have seen DBZ before.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
nozaki in a bubble is just ok.
nozaki if you watch a bunch of shojo though is great as it does a great job just bashing the tropes to create something full of laughs.

just like you really can't watch Yakitate Japan until you have seen some shonen series with tournaments as a lot of the jokes fall flat without knowing what they are making fun of.

I got the jokes. Still found it OK. I'm talking best of the best here. I'm not saying it's bad, but I've found plenty of other shows funnier, even during that year.

Oh and don't talk to me about Yakitate Japan. I'm quite sour about that show and the direction it took.

Your Lie in April is still haunting me.

Any comedy suggestions, I haven't seen many.

Daily Lives of High School Boys
Nichijou
My Wife Is a Mermaid
D-Frag

To name ones that have made me laugh out loud, a rarity in anime comedies. Just off the top of my head. I can think of more when I'm not working

Sölf

Gintama 316 END
I salute you! O7

And now, the wait begins. Next Gintama thing would be the Love Potion Arc that is bundled with volume 65 + 66. After that... well, I just hope we don't have to wait that long for the next and maybe final anime to get announced.

Szadek

Best shows of the Winter Season 2016 imo are:
1. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu( and it's not even close)
2. Akagami no Shirayuki-hime 2nd Season
3. Fairy Tail Zero
4. Dimension W
5. Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu

These last 2 aren't even that good. Wasn't a great season.
I dropped pretty every other shows,minus a few sequels to shows I haven't watched, most of them after I episode.

Qurupeke

Gintama° [END]

And the wait for the next arc begins. My first Gintama break since I started the anime...
It seems Shinsegumi will be absent for a long time. :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sölf;199611812 said:
for the next and maybe final anime to get announced.

No, it can't end! It can keep going. The Simpson is still going and has managed to stay fresh. I'm sure Gintama can do the same!

Cornbread78

A big fancy wedding, I hope.
q0Af8JW.png

Of course, lol.

They already set the groundwork for S3 with the conversations between Zen and his Izana about Zen moving on to take control of his own city as the prince. Then later got the approval of him to have Shirayuki by his side. I felt that was an excellent way to present the future through foreshadowing built into those conversations. The will of Shirayuki and Zen match as we saw in the final episode, so all that is really left is exactly what has been forwshadowed, so either then can follow the manga further (not sure where it goes really) or through a coupe OVAs to show the future.

Plus Mits and Kiki need more screen time to develop their relationship. I'd take a series just with those two and Obi.

She gets kidnapped before the ceremony and Zen has to save her.

damn you, lol

Golden Time 1-24

i found the ending to be a little sad in golden time, spoilers ahead:
his previous life was alive, it was like its on being and it pretty much dies at the end for this new consciousness that took over his body to live on. and like you said, that bridge part was really dumb. like did linda actually see ghost banri or was that all a figment of his imagination?

like you, Your Lie in April had an effect one me too, it got me into romcoms, I needed me some happy endings after that show and then i realized that romcoms are actually pretty decent, they're dumb fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom