• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phantom World 13 was amazing. Holy shit those fight scenes! The last few episodes have been awesome. Nice way to end the season.

Hope we get S2. Episodic or not, dont want some of these nice character designs to go to waste.

Dio

Banned
Phantom World 13 was amazing. Holy shit those fight scenes! The last few episodes have been awesome. Nice way to end the season.

Hope we get S2. Episodic or not, dont want some of these nice character designs to go to waste.

I'm not sure you actually want S2, if you missed the spoiler talk on the last page for the light novels.

House of Five Leaves 11

Hmm, so we see Jin at the Saint's residence, and he still seems totally clueless as to where to find Sei. But then we next see him showing up behind Yaichi/Sei on some random path and attacking him. The disconnect between these two scenes bothers me; if you're going to go to the trouble of having Jin at the Saint's and people deliberately concealing the truth from him, you can't just have him discover the truth offscreen in a totally unexplained manner.

I'm also not too fond of Yaichi's backstory. Enjoying pointless cruelty is a valid character trait, but his actions in that scene don't completely make sense with the rest of his character story before and after the event.

Sterok

Aikatsu 177

The queen is dead. Long live the queen. Last episode was one of the very few times an anime has managed to make me feel down and salty. Aikatsu of all things. I don't know whether that says more about the show or me. Like how did Akari pull off a SA appeal when Sumire trained way more for it? Here it looked like she just strolled in and did it because she's the main character. Urgh, whatever. At least Sumire still placed high despite blowing it. Good speeches from everyone, but Ichigo must be the happiest. Her choice was validated for sure. Kind of an anti-climatic coronation, though that was to be expected when it was obvious what was happening last week. Just one more episode and Aikatsu is finished. Kind of sad seeing how late I got into the show. Well, it's not really ending, so I'm all for a relaunch.

In season 2 Akari was far and away the best part of the show. In season 4 Akari is the reason I want to move on as fast as possible. Funny how that works.

Doesnt terraformars Revenge start tomorrow?

No. New shows start April 1:

Mayoiga
Space Patrol Luluco
Ushio and Tora
Kagewani
Jojo: Diamond is Unbreakable
Terra Formars: Revenge

April 2:
Bonobono
Future Card Buddyfight DDD
Ace Attorney
Asterisk War
Ragnastrike Angels
Endride

April 3:
Duel Masters VSRF
My Hero Academia
Pan de Peace
Macross Delta
Concrete Revolutio
Kumamiko
Re:Zero

etc...

Jarmel

Banned
So reflecting on it I'm not sure the second season of Haikyuu was stronger than the first season. The first half was definitely better than S1's first half but the second half was weaker despite a few standout episodes. Ultimately it doesn't matter that much because both seasons are outstanding but just some ruminations on my part.

Jarmel

Banned
I forgot Macross Delta even existed and I watched that terrible Episode 0.

The biggest disappointment for me with Macross Delta is that the music isn't even going to be at the Sheryl bootlicking level. I'm not expecting anything close to "What about my star?" from that composer list.

Cornbread78

Whoa, who are you?

I'm a nobody, don't worry about me. The real insider's/VIPS don't get these tags. This is for salesGAF reasons, lol.

Ah My Buddha ep.4-6
They masked the episodic approach eary, bit now it is glaring. Ep 4-5 were pretty boring, then we got the terrible tentacle monster attack..O well, halfway there, I can endure.

XsKaMUa.jpg

We are not worthy

Help me out here Anime GAF. Should I stick with my $200 (260 CAD) Pledge for Escaflowne's kickstarter or should I drop down to $175 (227 CAD)?

Edit: $200 has the complete soundtrack. 175 does not. Otherwise they are the same.

tuffy

Help me out here Anime GAF. Should I stick with my $200 (260 CAD) Pledge for Escaflowne's kickstarter or should I drop down to $175 (227 CAD)?

Edit: $200 has the complete soundtrack. 175 does not. Otherwise they are the same.
I don't think it's the complete soundtrack (which was many CDs); it sounds like the Lovers Only soundtrack. Though it's hard to find that one new these days, it's not too hard to find used for cheaper.

House of Five Leaves 12 END

This is perhaps the best episode in terms of achieving the perfect atmosphere. As Yaichi retreats inwards, the pacing becomes even slower, the dialogue more sparse, the direction more reflective, the colors duller. It makes for a good climax that stays true to the introverted nature of the show. The release after the grave visit, particularly the very final scene, is cathartic in an understated manner. Mochizuki did a good job seeing this intimate character drama through to a satisfying end that feels complete in itself. It even had a direct callback to the first episode.

So while there are various minor qualms I have with some of the decisions the anime staff made (never did get over those green flashbacks), overall this is an excellent show that I wholeheartedly endorse. The approach it takes to storytelling greatly appeals to me.

Pull all your money out and don't get scammed.

Somehow I knew this was going to be the first reply.

I don't think it's the complete soundtrack (which was many CDs); it sounds like the Lovers Only soundtrack. Though it's hard to find that one new these days, it's not too hard to find used for cheaper.

Interesting. I think I'll just drop to 175 then. Saves me some money and I might not use it after burning the CD to my computer.

Quasar

Phantom World Ep 13

Good ending but after watching the first 12 episodes I watched When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace straight away, this did not do PW any favours. The animation is superb and has been all season long but to echo what everyone else has said the plot needed to show up sooner. That synopsis of Vol 2 & 3 of the LN though? That would be worth seeing.

In short good but I really want more When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace instead.

Yeah. I much preferred that show. Its actually the trigger show I've liked most. Annoyed there is no S2 or even a book translation.

TUSR

Banned
Theres was an interesting point about When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace's anime original ending.

Im certain it happened because the production staff liked Mirei more than the rest of the cast.

I can't even remember what happens in the later LNs.

Quasar

Theres was an interesting point about Inou Battle's anime original ending with Mirei.

Im certain it happened because the production staff liked her more than the rest of the cast.

I can't even remember what happens in the later LNs.

Are they even available or did you read a summary?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Why couldn't KyoAni work on more great projects like Free!, Amagi Brilliant Park, Beyond the Boundary, and Chuu2?

Why couldn't KyoAni work on more great projects like Free!, Amagi Brilliant Park, Beyond the Boundary, and Chuu2?

I have no problems with another season or two of Free! Kyo Ani needs to do more sports shows.

Beyond the Boundary was a legitimate waste of time though. Thats the one time I cant excuse a show no matter how pretty it is or how awesome the action was.

some people like actual stories, character development, and plot progression

PW has character development but it is pretty weak in having an overarching plot. Even though it was pretty episodic, most of the episodes had a good message or story though.

And it was actually funny.

I do feel like it was a missed opportunity since they could have done so much more with the setting.

The ridiculousness of Funimation doing a Kickstarter aside, why not just wait for the normal retail release? It'll save you a lot of money given how bad the CAD is right now.

There are legitimate reasons to criticize Funimation but I don't think this is one of them.

Funimation isn't a large company. Around 200 people work there. It's not a large company, and kickstarter has long since jettisoned the idea that it's only for small undiscovered faces and talent.

It can't hold onto that ideal when Koji Igarashi and Keiji Inafune are kickstarting things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom