• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prompto though.
Ce1-j5BUEAEqFRy.jpg

Clov

There are legitimate reasons to criticize Funimation but I don't think this is one of them.

Funimation isn't a large company. Around 200 people work there. It's not a large company, and kickstarter has long since jettisoned the idea that it's only for small undiscovered faces and talent.

It can't hold onto that ideal when Koji Igarashi and Keiji Inafune are kickstarting things.

They're large for a company in the North America anime industry. I've heard rumors that Discotek is literally two people outsourcing most of the work.

That aside, I'm only annoyed because I feel that Funimation could fund it without a Kickstarter. Really, they could. They have the biggest and most popular titles in the North American anime industry. They could survive off Dragonball Z alone, but they also have Attack on Titan, One Piece, Free, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist (for a little longer), etc. They easily could fund it without help, whereas a company like AnimEigo would have a lot more trouble getting their BDs out without Kickstarter.

Also a bit annoyed at the poor timing of it (around the same time as Pied Piper's Skip Beat campaign), though I suppose there may not be much overlap between Escaflowne and Skip Beat fans.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I can't be disappointed they waste talent on these shows then? It's not like I have particular love for any of the above.
It's more like...suggesting that it's better to set expectations based on their recent output. Phantom World can at least be considered a fun trifle with some moments of creativity. When stacked against the self-serious slop KyoAni have mired around in with their other LN adaptations I would consider it to be a step forward, although I could understand why advancements in such areas wouldn't mean much to most people.

Generally though, I would say that the studio has been positioning themselves to work on stronger stuff. Tamako Love Story and Euph show both accomplished a lot, but neither really move very far into a space beyond very basic story beats. With their current mindset serving up conservative storytelling at a very slow pace you'll probably only get something really special if they have a lot of material to work with, which we might see with more seasons of Euph show. I can't really say I'm optimistic about A Silent Voice though.

Clov

Oh neat, there's a traditionally animated FFXV anime as well as the CG movie? Guess I'll be checking that out as well.

They're large for a company in the North America anime industry. I've heard rumors that Discotek is literally two people outsourcing most of the work.

That aside, I'm only annoyed because I feel that Funimation could fund it without a Kickstarter. Really, they could. They have the biggest and most popular titles in the North American anime industry. They could survive off Dragonball Z alone, but they also have Attack on Titan, One Piece, Free, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist (for a little longer), etc. They easily could fund it without help, whereas a company like AnimEigo would have a lot more trouble getting their BDs out without Kickstarter.

Also a bit annoyed at the poor timing of it (around the same time as Pied Piper's Skip Beat campaign), though I suppose there may not be much overlap between Escaflowne and Skip Beat fans.

Yeah, they are just using kickstarter to test the waters I suppose. I could understand why people could have a problem with that.

Funimation did however give a shout out to the Skip Beat kickstarter though.

Cornbread78

Love Hina ep.10-12
Funny stuff as our boy continually gets destroyed by all the ladies in the house. There is one clear love interest and no harem at all so far, but oh well; the comedy is good and the show is pretty fun overall so far.

Wait, a FF anime was announced?

Hakaba Kitaro 8

This continues to be a finely crafted horror experience. This is the first episode which doesn't carry over any plot hooks from previous episodes (except perhaps for the implied fact that Kitaro losing his living quarters previously necessitates him finding a new dwelling), but it is an excellent self-contained story in its own right. It tells a traditional tale of a haunted house in a striking fashion, with arresting visuals and atmosphere. Humans will never learn to not mess with the supernatural.

It's neat to gradually see where the imagery in the OP came from.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Love Hina ep.10-12
Funny stuff as our boy continually gets destroyed by all the ladies in the house. There is one clear love interest and no harem at all so far, but oh well; the comedy is good and the show is pretty fun overall so far.

Oh shit, someone watching LH for the first time?

I remember snagging the fansubs for that when it was airing in Japan on my college DSL line. Felt like the future was here at the time, lol.

#TeamMutsumi :p

TUSR

Banned
Oh shit, someone watching LH for the first time?

I remember snagging the fansubs for that when it was airing in Japan on my college DSL line. Felt like the future was here at the time, lol.

#TeamMutsumi :p

Chitoge is the Narusegawa Naru of this generation.

Jintor

Love Hina was the first manga I bought and had the full series of. Good times.

tokyopop version was the shit. there was a brief period when tokyopop folded and the only versions coming out where these absolutely horrendous international english versions out of singapore or something.

nowadays they only do three volume compilation books which are awks as fuck to hold/read

hosannainexcelsis's prediction is pretty similar to mine regarding Rakugo's 12th episode. It's the scene where Kiku and Miyokichi are alone I take issue with. It just seems so out of character after the previous few episodes leading up to it. He enjoys being alone, wants nothing to do with others and his motivations are completely selfish. He doesn't take pleasure in other's suffering so I really don't understand his actions during that scene.

Actually, what does tear licking signify? I have no idea.

BROTHERHOOD FINAL FANTASY XV - Episode 1
Ce2PiqqUAAE9jNH.jpg
Ce2MUoMWIAADqrK.jpg

I need the game today if it can keep the same very high best friends levels thats going on in this 11 minute episode. All the smiles and being on each other and joking about each other from Nocto's food, Ignis and Gladio fussing and Prompto calling them out on it, to even discussing what to eat for dinner and coffee afterwards, its all amazing.

Fight was nearly decent too, best moment easily when PromNocto had their moment.

Hopefully its sold separately so I dont have to give Square Enix 260$ for it :(

Brotherhood Final Fantasy episode 1

Hey that was decent! And the animation was good! I'm with DTL on hoping they release it separately from that
holy shit expensive 260 usd
collector edition.

Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV 01

That was awesome. Still mind blown by the conference, Square is pushing this game hard. The anime was pretty well done with some great animation too. Looking forward to seeing the next 4.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
hosannainexcelsis's prediction is pretty similar to mine regarding Rakugo's 12th episode. It's the scene where Kiku and Miyokichi are alone I take issue with. It just seems so out of character after the previous few episodes leading up to it. He enjoys being alone, wants nothing to do with others and his motivations are completely selfish. He doesn't take pleasure in other's suffering so I really don't understand his actions during that scene.

Actually, what does tear licking signify? I have no idea.
There is a personal responsibility that Kiku seems to feel for the entire situation. He could have prevented Sukeroku from walking down a path that led him away from rakugo. Instead, the inattention paid to two parties that were closer and dearer to him than he realized tangled two self-destructive parties around one another. Not only is he bearing the weight of rakugo's future mostly alone, but in his effort to refine his craft he's lost those that served as his muse.

Miyokichi seemed to help draw Kiku back to his roots of working in a geisha environment in a way that established his leaning towards a smoother and more seductive tone. Sukeroku had some say here as well, but his brash style of rakugo and intense connection with crowds pushed Kiku to work tirelessly improving. It is only in the absence of these parties does Kiku realize just how much these people meant to him, even if his life revolved around rakugo.

Most of what happens in episode twelve strikes me as an attempt to turn back the events that drove these parties away. That means showing an undying support for getting Sukeroku on stage, as well as accepting Miyokichi sexually. Unfortunately, the damage has already been done, and Sukeroku and Miyokichi have a relationship that stands at odds with things going back to the way they were. Konatsu is proof of that. At this point, even if Kiku wants to take away their sadness, which we see visualized through him drinking up tears, there's too much pain for the story to be anything other than a tragedy.

It's still very out of character for Kiku. (The tear licking)

I was totally fine with that. To me, it was Kiku finally
allowing himself to lose his inhibitions. He was always reserved and never allowed himself to show much emotion or anything. He got swept up in passion and let himself go.

These characters are so selfish and flawed but you cant help but want them to be happy. Sukeroku is such a piece of shit
for being such a horrible father and husband
yet that Rakugo performance and his confession at the end made you feel his pain and regrets and made it hard to be upset with him.

And just when things looked like Kiku was finally about to get what he desired for so long, the double suicide happened and he was left all alone in the world, again.

Though
Konatsu
is the real loser here which is heartbreaking. Just an all around fantastic episode in a truly fantastic show.

Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV Episode 1

Not bad for what I assume is a limited budget. Definitely sets up the mood of the overall game to come. The interactions between the group is nice and the animation captured the battle system pretty well.

ibyea

Banned
There is a personal responsibility that Kiku seems to feel for the entire situation. He could have prevented Sukeroku from walking down a path that led him away from rakugo. Instead, the inattention paid to two parties that were closer and dearer to him than he realized tangled two self-destructive parties around one another. Not only is he bearing the weight of rakugo's future mostly alone, but in his effort to refine his craft he's lost those that served as his muse.

Miyokichi seemed to help draw Kiku back to his roots of working in a geisha environment in a way that established his leaning towards a smoother and more seductive tone. Sukeroku had some say here as well, but his brash style of rakugo and intense connection with crowds pushed Kiku to work tirelessly improving. It is only in the absence of these parties does Kiku realize just how much these people meant to him, even if his life revolved around rakugo.

Most of what happens in episode twelve strikes me as an attempt to turn back the events that drove these parties away. That means showing an undying support for getting Sukeroku on stage, as well as accepting Miyokichi sexually. Unfortunately, the damage has already been done, and Sukeroku and Miyokichi have a relationship that stands at odds with things going back to the way they were. Konatsu is proof of that. At this point, even if Kiku wants to take away their sadness, which we see visualized through him drinking up tears, there's too much pain for the story to be anything other than a tragedy.

*clap**clap**clap*

This is my favorite analysis of this so far.

Pooya

FFXV Brotherhood -1

I guess it's not too bad. They should have used music from the game. Really boring for a first episode though.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
FFXV Brotherhood 1
Not bad. The animation quality during action scene was quite good. Lol, eat your damn veggie Noctis (i sure hope this one is in the game too)

It makes even less sense considering the synopsis for volume 3 seems to indicate things taking place back in volume 1's setting again.

From what I can gather from the comments on the wiki,
it seems that Volume 1, which the anime apparently covered, was a dream reality created by Haruhiko and Volume 2 is the real world. Volume 3 involves Haruhiko going back in time to fix things and save all his friends who died in volume 2, basically turning the series into Steins;Gate.

Or something like that. Some comments are claiming that nothing in the anime has anything to do with the actual LNs itself. It's a mess.

So someone apparently wrote up a plot summary of Volume 2 and
Volume 1 does not take place in a dream reality. Volume 2 takes place in an alternate universe where Haruhiko loses against the LN's equivalent of Enigma which is why its so edgy. Original Haruhiko is eventually brought into the alternate world and has to fuse with his alternate self in order to return. He goes missing in Volume 3 and there's no time travel involved.
Full details here:
http://pastebin.com/Z2W3UTw2

Sounds kinda bad if it is real. Oh and here are the character designs for the Volume 3 characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom