• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Gintama is the closest by far. Some folks in here haven't reached the point it turns great and aren't loving it yet but most who have gotten past that initial hump love it.

I just havent tried. Mostly because its long, and I basically avoid all long shows. Don't think I've watched anything longer than 48 episodes, with 99% being 11-24.

Except for the people who dropped it :p

Yeah that's what I mean. There's only really a handful of people here watching it too afik, the show doesn't seem to be well suited for the masses either. It's a show that definitely appeals more to the "monocle" viewers.
I just happen to be the antithesis of that but oh well.

Cornbread78

I just havent tried. Mostly because its long, and I basically avoid all long shows. Don't think I've watched anything longer than 48 episodes, with 99% being 11-24.

This exactly what I do.... Then I made the mistake of starting Fairy Tail last week..... My goodness.

Except for the people who dropped it :p

Yeah that's what I mean. There's only really a handful of people here watching it too afik, the show doesn't seem to be well suited for the masses either. It's a show that definitely appeals more to the "monocle" viewers.
I just happen to be the antithesis of that but oh well.

I might go back and watch it at some point, but it was just soooo slow that I couldn't continue. It may be intellectually great like you mention, but my ultra-refined taste is just no match... Entertain me, lol.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
you know, I was looking for a specific gif this morning of Kazuma protecting his succubi and finally realized the appearance...

v7J1gXP.jpg

Hair: Darkness
Eyes: Megumin
Face: Aqua

It all makes sense now...

Good luck with that. Everyone hates everything here, so everyone has bad taste; your favorite anime sucks too.

Thinking about that. IS THERE a single anime that is universally liked here? Steins; Gate/ Gintama maybe?
Gintama is definitely up there.
Ghost in the shell movie... i think. Even the one who don't like it at least admit that it's a technical marvel and still hold up to this day.

Naruto Shippuden: Season 17 Episode 452 – Itachi's Story - Light and Darkness: The Genius
CdMgdiNW4AAWb-0.jpg

yes is this going to be another cat Naruto episode?! I cant wait. The SasuNaru one was so good.

School Life Itachi is fantastic. The guys all rallying behind him as he confronted the bully was impressive.

Sölf

I also avoid most long runnin shows, but the main reason for that is that the story just doesn't got forward and in terms of most shounen the anime is plagued by filler. In Gintama's case that doesn't even matter because it's 90% comedy anyways, with the occasional serious arc in between (well, more of those at the moment since the manga is nearing the finish line). But yeah, Gintama's main problem is that the beginning just isn't as great. It's more or less only there to introduce you to the setting and the characters. And that takes ~20 episodes. But once that is over, it just becomes better and better the more you watch. I think no one who reached that point hated the show. But yeah, getting there an be quite a problem.

I might go back and watch it at some point, but it was just soooo slow that I couldn't continue. It may be intellectually great like you mention, but my ultra-refined taste is just no match... Entertain me, lol.

See it's like I said in the spoilered part, I am no monocle, and I'm enjoying the show a lot. You like romance and character progression/interaction, alongside SoL. This show has it, and in a different era too, which only makes it more interesting. Not only is it entertaining, but it's also kind of educational seeing how things were in Japan back then. I never would have bothered learning what Rakugo is, or the time period back then had I not watched this show. Also worth mentioning is how well directed and beautiful the show is. You are really missing out on a great experience.

Just T

Now, I'm probably the only GAFfer that really liked Charlotte, even though I was extremely frustrated at it's flawed pacing. The show had the content and story to be really, really good, but for some reason they felt the need to keep it at 13 episodes rather than expanding the world and it's characters. The show could have been amazing if they spent those extra episodes extrapolating what happened in the past
when his brother time-traveled
as well as his travels around the world
removing everyone's special powers
A full season of just that could have been amazing.... Add in some periodic contact with Nao to enhance the Nao x Yuu relationship and boom. Greatness.. I can say a lot more, but I'm be fought with fierce resistance because this was Key and is the enemy, so yeah. Maeda dun fu(ked up with Charlotte...

One of my favorite anime characters last year..
ENPXIH7.gif
Yeah it did have potential to be really good and I actually liked it quite a bit in the beginning but like you said the pacing issues were a big flaw for it. If they could have just cut some of the crap in the latter half, stretched out the former and come up with a new ending it might have went better. The traveling around the world could have been it's own season, definitely agree there but
it probably would still end with him not fixing his eye which I still consider to be foolish.

Qurupeke

Konosuba 9

It actually wasn't as bad as what I first thought and I liked it. Maybe a biiiit lewder than usual, and had a lot of jiggling, especially at the first half of the episode, but it didn't deviate much from the usual Konosuba... I was ready for something truly terrible but it ended up being okay . Also, the succubus was 80% Megumin.

Phantom World 10

The best character of this anime.

kewlmyc

Now, I'm probably the only GAFfer that really liked Charlotte, even though I was extremely frustrated at it's flawed pacing. The show had the content and story to be really, really good, but for some reason they felt the need to keep it at 13 episodes rather than expanding the world and it's characters. The show could have been amazing if they spent those extra episodes extrapolating what happened in the past
when his brother time-traveled
as well as his travels around the world
removing everyone's special powers
A full season of just that could have been amazing.... Add in some periodic contact with Nao to enhance the Nao x Yuu relationship and boom. Greatness.. I can say a lot more, but I'm be fought with fierce resistance because this was Key and is the enemy, so yeah. Maeda dun fu(ked up with Charlotte...

One of my favorite anime characters last year..
ENPXIH7.gif

The show threw too many different plots and subplots at the audience and didn't have enough time to wrap any of them up cleanly. We waste three episodes on one shot episodes that are only referenced later on in relation to one big reveal. A montage in 1 episode could have done the same thing. or having 26 episodes could have solved this. As it stands now, 1/4 of the show was fluff in a show that was trying to tell a serious story in only 13 episodes. After wasting 3 episodes we jump between 3 different plot points in like 4 episodes and none of it is given enough time to resonate, one of which is time travel which most series need entire cours to set up properly. All the while, side characters keep getting introduced with their own subplots that get hastily concluded. The romance between Yuu and Nao is rushed and makes it hard for me to believe that they actually got together in the last episode considering how one sided the love was one episode before the ending. Plus the final episode introduces its own plot point which could have been its own series altogether. The whole series is sloppy, poorly paced, and rushed, which is disappointing because I had hoped Jun Maeda had learned something from Angel Beats. He somehow got worse at pacing for a 13 episode series. I guess I'll just have to wait 10 years from now for the VN to be released in small chunks to see the story how he originally envisioned it.

I don't think so. It'd be cheating to pick something only a few viewers have seen, but a recent example is Rakugo, everyone on this thread that is watching it is loving it. Stuff that a lot of people have watched such as Hyouka however, most people say is great. But even then it still has a few people that don't like it. Taste is subjective, you will always find someone that doesn't like the same things as you. And that's fine.

Also on your last post, Charlotte was by no means great, but it entertained me still. Tons of ass-pulls on that one aha. Nao was great though.
I dropped rakugo like it was hot lost all interest.

I'll watch Rakugo when it's complete.

I know I'll like it, I just prefer watching shows of that nature all at once.

I also wrote up a whole explanation of why I like NGNL and think it's good, realized nobody cared and deleted it. Instead I'll just watch it later tonight again. Shiratori episode so god-like.

Chindogg

Rakugo is just absurdly boring. The pacing is so goddamn slow that I had to drop it myself.

I think that's a bit of an unfair criticism considering a number of people who haven't liked or dropped it have shown themselves fully capable of watching subtler, slower in pace and tonally soft shows that focus on character and dialogue with smart utilization of visuals.

It's entirely possible to not like something like Rakugo while still enjoying shows of a similar nature and not watch anime for all dem purty colors and self inserts a hyuck, I'm just a silly unintelligent hick.

Pretty much. Monogatari has similar issues but there are times where it just clicks and those moments make it the best. Rakugo just doesn't have those for me. This whole "Rakugo is a higher artform" argument just reeks of elitism.

I think that's a bit of an unfair criticism considering a number of people who haven't liked or dropped it have shown themselves fully capable of watching subtler, slower in pace and tonally soft shows that focus on character and dialogue with smart utilization of visuals.

It's entirely possible to not like something like Rakugo while still enjoying shows of a similar nature and not watch anime for all dem purty colors and self inserts a hyuck, I'm just a silly unintelligent hick.

Sölf

I'll watch Rakugo when it's complete.

I know I'll like it, I just prefer watching shows of that nature all at once.

I also wrote up a whole explanation of why I like NGNL and think it's good, realized nobody cared and deleted it. Instead I'll just watch it later tonight again. Shiratori episode so god-like.

The best. God, that was so great. The novels actually got released here and I have the first here. Have to read that someday.

Line_HTX

Eureka 7 - [THE END]

I'm kinda exhausted and I'll probably do a second, more detailed post later, as this show toatally deserves it. Funny, I didn't like it much when I started it, but I ended up loving it...

Some breathtaking moments during the last few episodes, with 48 being by far the best episode of the show
especially the scene that mirrored episode 26
. Oh and that dance scene too. I'm still not sure what exactly happened in the ending
after Dewie's death and especially after Eureka's rescue
but that was close to End of Evangelion's level, just filled with plenty of love. And it was a happy ending. :)

Overall, this series was definitely great, and I'm surprised as I thought it was supposed to be controversial. I mean, it certainly has its flaws, and that's why some people here disliked it (, but personally I enjoyed it.

An amazing series and I totally would recommend it.

It is one hell of a ride with all the ups and downs. It was pretty much growing pains all the way through with a big payoff.

jonjonaug

The show threw too many different plots and subplots at the audience and didn't have enough time to wrap any of them up cleanly. We waste three episodes on one shot episodes that are only referenced later on in relation to one big reveal. A montage in 1 episode could have done the same thing. or having 26 episodes could have solved this. As it stands now, 1/4 of the show was fluff in a show that was trying to tell a serious story in only 13 episodes. After wasting 3 episodes we jump between 3 different plot points in like 4 episodes and none of it is given enough time to resonate, one of which is time travel which most series need entire cours to set up properly. All the while, side characters keep getting introduced with their own subplots that get hastily concluded. The romance between Yuu and Nao is rushed and makes it hard for me to believe that they actually got together in the last episode considering how one sided the love was one episode before the ending. Plus the final episode introduces its own plot point which could have been its own series altogether. The whole series is sloppy, poorly paced, and rushed, which is disappointing because I had hoped Jun Maeda had learned something from Angel Beats. He somehow got worse at pacing for a 13 episode series. I guess I'll just have to wait 10 years from now for the VN to be released in small chunks to see the story how he originally envisioned it.

Stuff like this makes me wonder how the Rewrite anime will turn out, because there's is absolutely no way you could adapt Rewrite in 13 episodes (even 26 episodes would be pushing it without cutting out a ton of it).

Cornbread78

Yeah it did have potential to be really good and I actually liked it quite a bit in the beginning but like you said the pacing issues were a big flaw for it. If they could have just cut some of the crap in the latter half, stretched out the former and come up with a new ending it might have went better. The traveling around the world could have been it's own season, definitely agree there but
it probably would still end with him not fixing his eye which I still consider to be foolish.

Definitely all valid points that were heavily discussed in the Charlotte OT. The worst part about it was Maeda went on record and said he learned from his mistakes with Angel Beats and promised to fix it with Charlotte, but instead made it worse! It's a shame because as a story writer he is creative and can really bring on the drama and romance in a compelling way. However, organizing it into anime form, he completely botched it again...

He's not involved with ReWrite direction (only music comp, which is excellent), but ReWrite is Key's biggest and most ambitious Game/VN from what has been said. Hopefully, the below are smart enough not to try and force it into 1 cour.... Someone at Key really liked Grisaia, but it makes sense considering the source for the anime...

Tensho (Kinmoza! Kiniro + Mosaic, The Fruit of Grisaia) is directing the anime at 8-Bit and also supervising the series scripts. Romeo Tanaka (Cross Channel scenario, Humanity Has Declined) and Visual Art's Kai (Clannad scanrio, Grim Reaper Kyou) are credited with collaborating on the composition and scripts. Masayuki Nonaka (Hello!! KINMOZA chief animation director, The Fruit of Grisaia main animator) is adapting the game's original character designs by Key/Visual Art's Itaru Hinoue (Kanon, Air, Clannad, Little Busters!) for animation.

Itaru Hinoue (AIR, Kanon, CLANNAD) served as the game's project creator and main illustrator. Romeo Tanaka, Ryukishi07 (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Umineko no Naku Koro ni) and Yūto Tonokawa (Little Busters!) wrote the game's storyline scenarios. Jun Maeda (AIR, CLANNAD, Angel Beats!) was involved with Rewrite's musical compositions and quality control.

EDIT:
Stuff like this makes me wonder how the Rewrite anime will turn out, because there's is absolutely no way you could adapt Rewrite in 13 episodes (even 26 episodes would be pushing it without cutting out a ton of it).

LOL, holy crap, I was just typing about this above, lol.

Russ T

Banned
Konosuba 9

Wow they turned the jiggle up to 11 for this episode.

Was a pretty below-average episode for apparently being the penultimate one. Second half was good, at least.

Pretty much. Monogatari has similar issues but there are times where it just clicks and those moments make it the best. Rakugo just doesn't have those for me. This whole "Rakugo is a higher artform" argument just reeks of elitism.

I don't mind being called elitist when it comes to art. I do value quality, after all, and try to be discerning in my approach to art. People can be looking for different things from the art and entertainment they consume, that's fine, but I don't subscribe to the notion that "any manga is as good as any other", as that club president in Hyouka put it.

Outside of Kizu, Monogatari is not nearly as deliberate and atmospheric as Rakugo. Plus it has a lot of gags and sexual moments to spice things up.

Was actually thinking of that too. Don't think ive ever seen a person say a bad word about it.

I've seen people criticize Oshii's GitS in comparison with SAC.

Rakugo basically sounds like this year's Hyouka.

It's the kind of show that's probably slow paced, subtle, has great characters doing normal things, and is very good all around that a lot of other people say is boring.

The weak point of Rakugo are the Rakugo acts. There is no dedicated animation budget to show some sublety in the performances - if one wouldn't be forced to read the subtitles one could just close the eyes and listen to the VA and nothing of worth would be lost.

It's not surprising that people don't like Rakugo Shinjuu. In our modern age of smartphones and short attention spans, it runs counter to much of popular media.
That's a silly argument considering that I'm sure there are people who disliked Hyouka due to its slow pace that are enjoying Rakugo. I don't care for the topic at hand, was interested in two characters that were set aside so the show could transform into a period piece and I don't care for the two main leads of the period piece.

I've watched plenty of slow burn shows, but if I'm not hooked by anything in the series then what am I to do.

GuP movie now at 1,5 billion.

Movie has sure some incredible legs and it got pretty close to the big hits K-On and Madoka. Can't wait to see the movie in 2 1/2 months.

The weak point of Rakugo are the Rakugo acts. There is no dedicated animation budget to show some sublety in the performances - if one wouldn't be forced to read the subtitles one could just close the eyes and listen to the VA and nothing of worth would be lost.

I definitely disagree there. The movements of the characters, the expressions of their faces, the framing of the characters on stage, the framing of the audience and those watching backstage, the expressive visual tricks that are used to color the stories being told - they all contribute a lot to the impact of the rakugo performances.

Real-life rakugo performances are very static visually anyway; their presentation in Rakugo Shinjuu is much more dramatic than watching a live rakugo performance would be. The melodramatic extreme acting that you often get in anime would not be appropriate here.

I might write up a more detailed analysis of the show eventually, but in the meantime, here's a blog post that starts to unpack it.

JulianImp

I won't say they sucked, but Angel Beats and Charlotte never managed to catch my attention or sway me either way with their romance and drama. They were okay, but in a very generic and not fulfilling way. Bad pacing aside, I never felt attached enough to any characters to really care about what happened to them, even with all the melodrama both shows had (even though Angel Beats had a lot more at the end compared to Charlotte, IMO).

You know, Charlotte's so weird that it only name-drops the comet that somehow gave little children their powers in a single scene and forgets all about it. The scientists weren't relevant, the mafia wasn't relevant, and a whole second season's worth of plot was crammed into a single 21-minute episode as Yuu went around the world stealing powers, losing his sense of self and stuff.

One thing I just can't stand is when slapstick comedy's used to diffuse a romantic or dramatic scene in order to keep the status quo and avoiding any possible plot implications from actual character development (or at least delaying it as much as possible), and that's something that both series did a whole freaking lot, which made things really underwhelming.

Compared to either show, Your Lie in April managed to move me with its story in spite of its rampant use of slapstick comedy, and AnoHana was better than any of them because its melodrama worked well for me and it didn't have slapstick comedy or puerile humor after the very first episode (but boy, that episode almost managed to put me off of watching the rest of it).

And while I'm at it...

Eureka Seven #4-6
Renton's relationship with Eureka's still somewhat cringe-worthy, but it makes sense since he's still a kid. She's still a bit weird for me, since she is somewhat more expressive than generic Rei expies but is still way too distant and mysterious.

The episode with the little children was a bit boring, though, since it felt like the plotline was too rushed and the things that happened were way too convenient for the sake of having the kids accept Renton and get over their initial jealousy over him taking Eureka away from them. It still isn't all that bad since the robot fights are still fun to watch and there were a couple good scenes, but I don't like it all that much when shows are really conspicuous about foreshadowing plot developments, such as the whole ordeal with the ring Holland wanted to get for that one girl in the team.

Another thing that's been bothering me is that there're lots of narrations that are made by a Renton from the future (using lots of past tense and talking about things that he hadn't realized back then), which is kind of boring for me since it's like the narrator already knows how everything will end which isn't all that fun. I think I'd rather have had him wonder about things to himself rather than future!Renton going "I didn't realize it back then, but..." every now and then.

While this last couple episodes have been kind of a lull, I'm expecting things to kick back into high gear once Gekkostate's crew has been properly introduced and the show can move on to whichever main plot it'll have. So far it looks like there's the whole thing about Eureka's mecha, Renton's dad's amita drive and Renton himself being the key to some unimaginable power that some higher-ups might want to get their hands on for whatever reasons (power, most likely)... oh well, I've got to wait and see what happens, since making such a broad assumption when I'm only six episodes into a 40+ ep show is likely to be proven false (at least partially) later on.

I think I felt the same way about Rakugo. Natives probably receive some greater enjoyment from the material without needing to read subs.

I think the anime is great, or maybe Rakugou as a whole, is great for people with declining or no eyesight. They could still get the whole experience of the story.

Yeah finished this last night (barely). Such a contrast it's ridiculous, loved up until episode 11 when the plot comes crashing back in and shoves everyone not MC into the background. The final arc was meh at best and as everyone else has pointed out was far too stuffed with ideas for it's 4 episode arc. It also included a gross fan service shot of a roughed up Nao hanging up by her arms while only in a bra and panties, WTF the series had managed to steer clear of this crap, even in the camping episode, up till now so WTF?!? Not only that but the art and animation seemed to fall off a cliff at this point too.

On the plus side there was actual character growth for the Yuu based on who he was and what happened to him, the relationship with his sister Ayumi was entirely normal and had no sexual undertones (that this is something I feel the need to celebrate makes me :( ). That the show shows him as an asshole and doesn't sugar coat it was a refreshing change, I damn near wanted to reach in and choke him for all his moaning about Ayumi's cooking. That it pays off in grand style with
Ayumi's death and his mentally totting up all the times he took her for granted was great. Letting his grief be worked through over two episodes was a great touch, his depression and downward spiral felt natural in light of his earlier asshole tendencies. That they didn't end his grief after Nao saves him works so well especially when he goes to call Ayumi to say he'd be late in the Zheind episode, such a natural moment of grief.

Ayumi was a nicely developed character too even if a lot of it was glimpses of a more complex life than she let on
e.g. the pushy love interest, the 'rival' who attacks her, the insistence on adding tomato sauce to everything. That they would save her via time travel was kind of obvious from the moment the power entered the plot was a double edged sword for me, obviously it's redemptive but it undercuts the prior 3 episode of soul scarring for Yuu and growth as he comes to terms with it. Resurrection is better reserved for shows where the writers don't do grief as well as this one did

Nao is great and one of my favourites characters so far which is why the trashy fan service so hacked me off, the ending suffers from her being off screen and I feel they missed a chance for an interesting conflict at the end with Yuu.
After all time travel will unwind the breakthrough her brother made in meeting with the Zheind singer, I would have expected her to at least say 'Hey I'll lose my bro again but you've restored my faith that he can still be reached'

Why do so many show with great characters go all plotty right at the end (looking at you Season 3 of TWGOK)? If you don't have space for your giant globe spanning conspiracy / space invasion / magical guff have faith in your character writing and don't bother at all. Leave the unresolved as is.

Jarmel

Banned
Fafner- Heaven and Earth
I felt like I should write something up in regards to the movie. The main thing I took away from this was how impressive Xebec can be when they're not putting out shovelware shit like Triage X or TLR. Unlike Right of Left, this is much closer to looking like a modern production in terms of processing and use of CGI.
For example shots like the above that create exaggerated lens flare via post processing would not have been found in Right of Left or OG Dead Aggressor. There's also good use of shallow depth of field for minor things such as Kazuki sliding an access card. It's an overall sharper looking work compared to Right of Left. Unusually enough though, I think that's less of a result due to storyboarding and more due to Bihou getting to stretch their wings a bit.
The art direction was largely adept at mixing 2D with CGI despite a few odd shots. For close up shots of the mecha, they were animated in 2D a number of times and the transitions are very seamless. The big change on the mecha animation side was going from 2D mecha to CGI. Obviously this reflects a larger trend in the anime industry but considering how poor the 2D animation for the mecha generally were, I'm not particularly weepy about this. In addition, the CGI animation was done by Orange so as you can imagine it's fairly good. There are a few daytime shots (which are always harder for CGI animation) that look bad, mainly with the mechs walking around but it's good enough. I appreciate seeing the fights actually be interesting on a choreography front. The new Festum models are also more than capable of fighting back so the fights are much more dynamic, although the ending has a Degraded Boss Syndrome going on with the waves of Eurus types. That said, it's really cool seeing all the new weapons and attack styles that are different from the old crew. The flamethrower mech threw me for a loop.
The camerawork is also significantly more dynamic than previous entries into the franchise. It's reminiscent of Orange's work in Code Geass: Akito. Not to mention again that despite the use of CGI, there is still a good amount of 2D animation such as the fighter jets used in the beginning.
The story-front side I thought was messier than it needed to be especially near the end. I don't think things were properly explained although you can generally piece together the plot as a whole. It's just that there are elements that left me scratching my head and seemed either confusingly explained or not explained at all. The movie essentially serves as a revitalization project for the franchise in that the TV series ended fairly conclusively and so things have to go to shit again to justify making more material. In addition due to the new Festum models, there is a larger sense of escalation in the work. This is the first time the show has used nuclear weapons and now that's on the table, it's hard to put it back into a box. It does make me wonder why they didn't use nuclear warheads on the Artic Mir but whatever. Both the human side and the Festum are upping their game which seems to be shifting from smaller individual battles into long term strategies. The tone of the OVA wasn't as pitch black as Right of Left, which I miss, but it does feel a bit more serious than the TV series did. There's also less of a focus on individual pilots but rather generations as a whole. There is a passing of the torch element to the show, necessary due to the Assimilation effects, which is nice however it also means there is less characterization for each individual person. For example, Maya is virtually non-existent in the film.
o9qqi71.jpg

Nice boat.
So I guess the element of 'understanding one another' was the big theme for the movie and will probably carry through to Exodus. With so many pilots on the island now, I'm a bit worried that the fights are going to become somewhat chaotic but they definitely are more interesting. Orange being used means that we get aerial dogfights so I can't say the loss of 2D is an actual loss in this case. Really the visuals as a whole were definitely up there with Yamato 2199, with the major exception being the character designs. That said, the designs generally do look better but Hirai can still fuck off.

Qurupeke

Eureka 7 [THE END]

I've already made a post but I wanted to post a few more thoughts, because I didn't manage to write everything I wanted yesterday... Lots of white bars, but I prefer that than spoiling something to people that currently are watching this or plan to watch it, so bear with it.

The best thing about the show was certainly the cast, I already said so, but what impressed me the most is that the character progress was really satisfying. Main characters, side characters and even antagonists changed and grew up in this. I realized how much I was enjoying this around the end of the show
when Renton, Eureka and the kids were alone on the original part of Earth. All of them were characters that, at some point of the show, I detested. And then, you have all of them there, for a considerable amount of episodes, under anxiety inducing circumstances. Not every moment was perfect, but these characters (even the kids) managed to carry the show very well. Eureka's wings, the part with Renton's illness and the scene with the gun were really good. Maybe some of them were a bit "cheesy", but the show did a great job showing this family, alone and powerless, with tension rising up between them, as they were unable to do anything to continue their duty to the world and their friends. And the end of this arc, when they finally are able to reach the Central Coral, was such a joyful moment. Generally, Renton's and Eureka's romance was really good. The characters matured along with their love for each other, which evolved from a kid romance to something really beautiful.

My favourite arc of the show still remains the entire Charles and Ray arc, but my favourite episodes are 48 and 43, both featuring my favourite character of the show, Anemone.
Anemone was amazing. She started as that crazy, but likeable, kind of girl and she ended up one of the most tragic and saddening characters of the show. I didn't hide how much I liked her from her very first scene. And then there's Dominic, a character very similar to Renton, but also very different. Obviously, the show wouldn't focus on him and Anemone, and their romance, as much as Renton and Eureka, but I really loved what everything about them. Episode 26 and Renton's reunion with Eureka was a great scene, but I think it was topped by its episode 48 counterpart. It starts with the greatest mecha battle of the series and then Renton and the rest realize how damaged Anemone is. Then Dominic appears, but it initially seems that everything is over and she has already done enough destruction. And then, it's just perfect. The End evolves to something "good" and we get their reunion, with them finally realizing how much they love each other. Furthermore, kinda funny, but The End's... end is probably the only part that really got me emotionally. A really strong scene that shows once more that it wasn't just a tool for Anemone but a companion. 43 was also an amazing episode, for that dance scene of Dewie and Anemone. The direction was great, we finally get to see the Novak brothers' past, which of course was a lot of painful for them, but we also get more of Dewie's evil and manipulative side. The music, the build-up for the final arc, the rhythmic and everchanging scenes, along with Dewie's alazony and Anemone's naivety, really made this scene very unique.

Other characters had also their time to shine though. Holland has been someone stubborn, from the very start, but he also had his fair share of amazing and thrilling moments on the final episodes.
Well, his "commando-mode" scenes were always good and even though "human fights" weren't as many as the mecha or airfights in the show, every confrontation scene of Holland was worth it. The final scene with Dewie, and the long awaited meeting of the two brothers, was excellent and the twist really appeared at the best possible time. Also, Holland had uncountable death flags, and still survived. I mean, I'm surely happy about this, but it got a bit tiring. His mechas got destroyed twice, with him on-board, he got sick because he was using that powerful silver LFO, he was already wounded, he took a lot of "suicide missions" (alone) and he even had a baby waiting for him. Just wow.
And then there's Norb...
who still remained annoying till the very end, but he had a neat flashback. The show did an great job at portraying another love story, describing their, initially awkward, love and their failure, a "What if" for Renton and Eureka.
Finally, there was one certain antagonist that proved to be one of the better characters...
The same guy that at the first episode, if I'm not mistaken, gets ridiculed by Dominic. And that guy ends up, as one of the most "human" characters of the show and someone that judged both sides of the war.

I think that's it. I can't really add much to my first post about the ending, as it was all kinds of awesome and over the top and I certainly liked it.

Jarmel

Banned
Eureka Seven's greatest strength is probably its ability to flesh out its cast. It had an enormous cast and was able to have character arcs for almost all of them, including the villains.

Great review Qurupeke.

Eureka Seven's greatest strength is probably its ability to flesh out its cast. It had an enormous cast and was able to have character arcs for almost all of them, including the villains.

Exactly. Every character in Eureka Seven manages to be fleshed out to make them feel like real human beings, which is something that many mecha shows, especially Gundam shows nowadays, have a hard time doing.

Another reason why it's so good.

kewlmyc

It's why the movie made me sick to my stomach since it thee everything likable about the characters out of the window.

ERASED Episode 10 – Joy

Another writer succumbed to the bad writing disease. Best moment was the kids saying bye to each other, Satoru gets so into being a kid and everyone around him is wonderful.

Why did it have to be the teacher, there were hundreds of other characters available to be the culprit. And then he goes and gets himself kidnapped

Just T

Definitely all valid points that were heavily discussed in the Charlotte OT. The worst part about it was Maeda went on record and said he learned from his mistakes with Angel Beats and promised to fix it with Charlotte, but instead made it worse! It's a shame because as a story writer he is creative and can really bring on the drama and romance in a compelling way. However, organizing it into anime form, he completely botched it again...

He's not involved with ReWrite direction (only music comp, which is excellent), but ReWrite is Key's biggest and most ambitious Game/VN from what has been said. Hopefully, the below are smart enough not to try and force it into 1 cour.... Someone at Key really liked Grisaia, but it makes sense considering the source for the anime...
I've seen the excitement for Rewrite but I haven't played it nor even know what it's about so not sure what to expect.

Fafner- Heaven and Earth

Great read, thanks for that. It really threw me for a loop when I saw how much better H&E looked compared to DA, but I guess that's what 5 years and a movie budget can do.

When you move onto Exodus, be sure to start off with the extended version of episode 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom