• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assassination Classroom Episode 32 School Festival Time

My Assassination Classroom top ship after MaeIso is finally animated. Yuuji was always the best minor character and he proved it again today. Im glad he is just so funny and kind hearted and warm and well meaning and everything. Nagisa is definitely at his best around him.

Also laughed at this random moment. Nagisa could have been more thoughtful lol.
CdNLXcCWwAE-x-u.jpg

I definitely disagree there. The movements of the characters, the expressions of their faces, the framing of the characters on stage, the framing of the audience and those watching backstage, the expressive visual tricks that are used to color the stories being told - they all contribute a lot to the impact of the rakugo performances.

Real-life rakugo performances are very static visually anyway; their presentation in Rakugo Shinjuu is much more dramatic than watching a live rakugo performance would be. The melodramatic extreme acting that you often get in anime would not be appropriate here.

I might write up a more detailed analysis of the show eventually, but in the meantime, here's a blog post that starts to unpack it.

Well, that blog post talks about how the rakugo performances are embedded in the story.
I'm talking about the rakugo performancens, which are static and lack any dynamics. Just look at the several rakugo performances on youtube which are full of many subtle and not so subtle movements and gestures.

Non Non Biyori 3

The running away story had a child-like sincerity to it that caught me off guard. Its portrayal of family relationships, both between sisters and between daughters and their mother, had a sweetness grounded in reality. I really liked the flashback to a younger Komari carrying Natsumi home, reversing the dynamics the series and this episode in particular has set us up to expect. Heartwarming in the best sense of the word.

chnR7Xl.jpg

Also this detailed fish drawing was very nice.

e_i

Assassination Classroom episode 31

Scary kid, SUPER SCARY OKASAN.
It's always sisters or mothers who push their kids to being a different gender.

Paltheos

Now, I'm probably the only GAFfer that really liked Charlotte, even though I was extremely frustrated at it's flawed pacing. The show had the content and story to be really, really good, but for some reason they felt the need to keep it at 13 episodes rather than expanding the world and it's characters. The show could have been amazing if they spent those extra episodes extrapolating what happened in the past
when his brother time-traveled
as well as his travels around the world
removing everyone's special powers
A full season of just that could have been amazing.... Add in some periodic contact with Nao to enhance the Nao x Yuu relationship and boom. Greatness.. I can say a lot more, but I'm be fought with fierce resistance because this was Key and is the enemy, so yeah. Maeda dun fu(ked up with Charlotte...

One of my favorite anime characters last year..
ENPXIH7.gif

I was... entertained by Charlotte. Mostly. The weaknesses common in Maeda's writing become glaring as the show goes on, but Charlotte's still better than most of the other stuff he's written.

Nao is great though. Best part of the show. She's a force of personality and ruthless in her efficiency. Maeda nerfs her in the baseball episode to protect a secret in the plot but this was obvious even at the time so I don't hold it against her character (I hold it against him for writing the epiosde).

pbayne

Erased 10

Even thought the twist reveal was the most obvious thing in the world, I at least appreciate that it wasn't something stupid.

Well, that blog post talks about how the rakugo performances are embedded in the story.
I'm talking about the rakugo performancens, which are static and lack any dynamics. Just look at the several rakugo performances on youtube which are full of many subtle and not so subtle movements and gestures.

I guess you only skimmed the post, because what it focuses on, providing copious examples, is how the visual presentation of rakugo in the opening episodes of the show characterizes the various performances and performers.

Hmmm, I don't know. I'm not really feeling the art of Stray Dogs at all.

Have you seen this Stray Dogs PV? I really like the art that's on display in it.

Exalted

Erased 10

:( Was hoping the story would not go this way.
Thought/hoped that the teacher being the one was only a red herring, since it would be too obvious, and that the story was more complex and deeper, but guess not.

phaze

Erased 10
Not sure if they'll go through with this, now that I looked at it, the ED tells they won't but at least my initial theory wasn't as completely of the rocker as I thought.

The ED frames this drowning bit so misguidingly that I always thought it was a girl submerging, not Satoru. Oh well.

And wouldn't everyone make a connection between the disappearance of the teacher from the game and Satoru's ? Seems like a silly move.

Ascheroth

Majin Bone.

Only me, Madp, hosanna, and Ascheroth watch it, and we all like it. Does that count?

That being said, I know that nobody here has anything negative to say about Ojamajo Doremi whenever it comes up.

Majin Bone is so damn good. It's one of the rare cases where I just couldn't stop watching until I was done, which ended up with me watching the last ~30 episodes in 3 or 4 days or something.
I'm impressed at how good it is at developing its characters at a steady pace and weaving that into the action and story.
There's only one minor thing I would have liked to see, but it's difficult to fault the show for that because that would have went against its core theme, so I probably should praise it for avoiding that.
...It's a very conflicting feeling, haha.

Active Raid Episode 10

Did I miss he hints somewhere about the character that is Bird?! I never would have guessed Bird was part of Logos.

I'm fairly certain that was mentioned last episodes and I think (but could be wrong) 2 episodes ago as well.

I'll watch Rakugo when it's complete.

I know I'll like it, I just prefer watching shows of that nature all at once.

I also wrote up a whole explanation of why I like NGNL and think it's good, realized nobody cared and deleted it. Instead I'll just watch it later tonight again. Shiratori episode so god-like.

Yeah, I think I'm going to do that as well. I'm still at episode 3 even though I loved what I watched, but I need to be in the right mood for a show like this and a weekly schedule isn't the best for that.

The weak point of Rakugo are the Rakugo acts. There is no dedicated animation budget to show some sublety in the performances - if one wouldn't be forced to read the subtitles one could just close the eyes and listen to the VA and nothing of worth would be lost.

I very much disagree. Again, I can only speak for the first 3 episodes, but the Rakugo scenes are really expressive. There's a lot of subtle character animation, use of soundtrack and camera work done there to make it stay fresh and enganging (at least for me).
Heck, I was even engrossed during the performance that was supposed to boring.

JulianImp

Non Non Biyori 3

The running away story had a child-like sincerity to it that caught me off guard. Its portrayal of family relationships, both between sisters and between daughters and their mother, had a sweetness grounded in reality. I really liked the flashback to a younger Komari carrying Natsumi home, reversing the dynamics the series and this episode in particular has set us up to expect. Heartwarming in the best sense of the word.

I think episode 4 was the one with a scene that I really liked in it. It was definitely among the best things I've seen in quite a while. Non Non Biyori's really heartwarming because I often feel like Renge's characterization makes her really believable as a little girl. The rest of the cast tend to be a bit weirder and act less naturally at times, but it often felt like the things Renge says, does and her reactions wouldn't feel all that out of place in reality, which quickly warmed me up to her. Renge/Candy Store is definitely the best "pairing" (used in a very loose sense, of course) by far. That flashback episode, man...

I'm still upset I heard there were NNB dakimakuras though, because... seriously?

Edit: Also, Gu for best random mascot. I wish it would've shown up more often, but seeing it again when Renge made a new friend was nice at the very least.

Cornbread78

I've seen the excitement for Rewrite but I haven't played it nor even know what it's about so not sure what to expect.

Synopsis:
Kazamatsuri, a modern, well-developed city renowned for its burgeoning greenery and rich Japanese culture, is home to Kotarou Tennouji, a high schooler least privy to the place's shared values. Content to fill his pockets with frivolity, the proud and nosey boy whiles away his time pestering the self-proclaimed delinquent Haruhiko, and indulging in his amorous feelings toward the oddball Kotori.

Equipped with the superhuman ability to permanently rewrite any part of his body to multiply his strength or speed, Kotarou is naturally drawn to the supernatural. One special meeting with the lone member and president of the Occult Research Club, the "Witch" Akane Senri, leads to Kotarou reviving the Occult Club by recruiting Kotori and three other members: the clumsy transfer student Chihaya, the strict class representative Lucia, and the unassuming Shizuru. As Kotarou unveils hidden secrets of each member of the Occult Club through their shared adventures, he will inevitably encounter a fate that only he might be able to rewrite.

[Written by MAL Rewrite]

Edit
BackgroundRewrite is a Japanese visual novel developed by Key, a brand of VisualArt's. It was released on June 24, 2011 for Windows PCs and is rated for all ages. Rewrite is Key's ninth game, along with other titles such as Kanon, Air, Little Busters!, and Clannad.

The game ranked as the best-selling PC game sold in Japan for the time of its release, and charted in the national top 50 twice more afterwards. There have been four manga adaptations based on Rewrite published by ASCII Media Works and Ichijinsha. Comic anthologies, light novels and an art book were also published, as were several music albums.

Cast:

Tensho (Kinmoza! Kiniro + Mosaic, The Fruit of Grisaia) is directing the anime at 8-Bit and also supervising the series scripts. Romeo Tanaka (Cross Channel scenario, Humanity Has Declined) and Visual Art's Kai (Clannad scanrio, Grim Reaper Kyou) are credited with collaborating on the composition and scripts. Masayuki Nonaka (Hello!! KINMOZA chief animation director, The Fruit of Grisaia main animator) is adapting the game's original character designs by Key/Visual Art's Itaru Hinoue (Kanon, Air, Clannad, Little Busters!) for animation.

Itaru Hinoue (AIR, Kanon, CLANNAD) served as the game's project creator and main illustrator. Romeo Tanaka, Ryukishi07 (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Umineko no Naku Koro ni) and Yūto Tonokawa (Little Busters!) wrote the game's storyline scenarios. Jun Maeda (AIR, CLANNAD, Angel Beats!) was involved with Rewrite's musical compositions and quality control.

In summary great cast, great world, and diverse characters. Plus great adaptation team from Grisaia at the helm.... Maeda didn't write any of the story routes, so they will not be as melodramatic, (good for most, bad for me)

It has a chance to be really, really good...

JulianImp

Rewrite stuff

The setting has been overdone to hell by now and the cast is cut-and-paste anime stereotypes at first glance, but I'll probably give it the benefit of the doubt since it isn't like judging it only based on that would be fair at all.

Ryukishi wrote some stuff but I'm wondering how it goes, since the tone of this and his When they cry series appear to be nothing alike.

I think episode 4 was the one with a scene that I really liked in it. It was definitely among the best things I've seen in quite a while. Non Non Biyori's really heartwarming because I often feel like Renge's characterization makes her really believable as a little girl. The rest of the cast tend to be a bit weirder and act less naturally at times, but it often felt like the things Renge says, does and her reactions wouldn't feel all that out of place in reality, which quickly warmed me up to her. Renge/Candy Store is definitely the best "pairing" (used in a very loose sense, of course) by far. That flashback episode, man...

I'm still upset I heard there were NNB dakimakuras though, because... seriously?

Edit: Also, Gu for best random mascot. I wish it would've shown up more often, but seeing it again when Renge made a new friend was nice at the very least.

I like Renge a lot - she's very charming - but she's too deadpan to really be a believable little girl. She reminds me of Chiaki in Minami-ke.

Just T

Cast:

Tensho (Kinmoza! Kiniro + Mosaic, The Fruit of Grisaia) is directing the anime at 8-Bit and also supervising the series scripts. Romeo Tanaka (Cross Channel scenario, Humanity Has Declined) and Visual Art's Kai (Clannad scanrio, Grim Reaper Kyou) are credited with collaborating on the composition and scripts. Masayuki Nonaka (Hello!! KINMOZA chief animation director, The Fruit of Grisaia main animator) is adapting the game's original character designs by Key/Visual Art's Itaru Hinoue (Kanon, Air, Clannad, Little Busters!) for animation.

Itaru Hinoue (AIR, Kanon, CLANNAD) served as the game's project creator and main illustrator. Romeo Tanaka, Ryukishi07 (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Umineko no Naku Koro ni) and Yūto Tonokawa (Little Busters!) wrote the game's storyline scenarios. Jun Maeda (AIR, CLANNAD, Angel Beats!) was involved with Rewrite's musical compositions and quality control.

In summary great cast, great world, and diverse characters. Plus great adaptation team from Grisaia at the helm.... Maeda didn't write any of the story routes, so they will not be as melodramatic, (good for most, bad for me)

It has a chance to be really, really good...
Hmm, I see. I have mixed feelings about some of that staff lol but will check it out.

Cornbread78

The setting has been overdone to hell by now and the cast is cut-and-paste anime stereotypes at first glance, but I'll probably give it the benefit of the doubt since it isn't like judging it only based on that would be fair at all.

Ryukishi wrote some stuff but I'm wondering how it goes, since the tone of this and his When they cry series appear to be nothing alike.

I'm sure some standard "Key" tropes will be there with the cast, but from reading reviews from those that played all of their VNs, there is a LOT more material for them to use is ReWrite then there was in Clanned, Little Busters, etc.

So many words for an obvious shit tier show. <3

SMH..

JulianImp

I like Renge a lot - she's very charming - but she's too deadpan to really be a believable little girl. She reminds me of Chiaki in Minami-ke.

Haven't watched that so I can't relate, but I'd say what I found believable was basically how whimsical she is. She's gullible like most children, has a fairly active imagination (often going on in random tangents) and is constantly amazed by and interested in things we tend to find as mundane and boring as we grow up. I think it was that whole thing of experiencing things for the first time that I felt the most relatable, since it was kind of like that for me back then.

Well, it sounds like Erased has ERASED all its chances to become AOTY!

I'll see myself out.

Majin Bone is so damn good. It's one of the rare cases where I just couldn't stop watching until I was done, which ended up with me watching the last ~30 episodes in 3 or 4 days or something.
I'm impressed at how good it is at developing its characters at a steady pace and weaving that into the action and story.
There's only one minor thing I would have liked to see, but it's difficult to fault the show for that because that would have went against its core theme, so I probably should praise it for avoiding that.
...It's a very conflicting feeling, haha.

I'm very eager to see what else the show throws at me going into the finale. I'm not expecting a TTGL-tier fight. I'm looking forward to seeing
how the confrontation with the Primordial Majin is going to go down. It's been this big, mysterious, gigantic entity for so long that I'm excited to hear what it has to say. Especially after episode 44.

I loved Majin Bone last year. The ost is one of the best for the genre.

The OST really is fantastic. I love all the instrumental variations of Legend is Born.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom