• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

is Rakugo still good?

Haven't seen this Erased episode yet

Yes.

I don't really feel Erased did make some giant misstep, especially given what transpired in few other episodes.
The mystery aspect is extremely underwhelming but that has been pretty obvious for a while. Pulling some complete out of a field twist on who dun it,
would have been worse.

pbayne

Skip Beat 5-6

LlRngmR.gif

A pink jumpsuit should never look good. But somehow Kyoko pulls it off. So stylish.

Looks like Kyoko problems are more deep rooted than just Sho. Looks like she has serious mommy issues(though her dad is conspicuous by his absence too.)

I love her personality is basically; she dosen't take shit from anyone. Like you can push her to a certain extent but she'll always stand up for herself. She's also a massive troll at times too, it's great.

Cornbread78

Well yeah, but the Erased reactions are par for the course at this point lol.

umm, yeah... I can't even...

Erased Ep.10:
Seriously, WTF, I literally screamed "WTF" in my cubicle during that scene. So he is going
to die now
.... seriously, "The Town Where Only I am Missing"
literally means what I thought it was going to. Good job Satoru, you saved everyone, but yourself
.... There is no real miracle way to
save him, is
there? Even though I'm really pissed, it was an excellent episode......,.dammit...

TUSR

Banned
umm, yeah... I can't even...

Erased Ep.10:
Seriously, WTF, I literally screwed "WTF" in my cubicle during that scene. So he is going
to die now
.... seriously, "The Town Where Only I am Missing"
literally means what I thought it was going to. Good job Satoru, you saved everyone, but yourself
.... There is no real miracle way to
save him, is
there? Even though I'm really pissed, it was an excellent episode......,.dammit...
I think you messed something up here.

I'm very eager to see what else the show throws at me going into the finale. I'm not expecting a TTGL-tier fight. I'm looking forward to seeing
how the confrontation with the Primordial Majin is going to go down. It's been this big, mysterious, gigantic entity for so long that I'm excited to hear what it has to say. Especially after episode 44.

It's obvious at this point that
the Primordial Majin is not the big bad; Revolt is, and he doesn't really care what the Majin thinks despite the lipservice he gives it in public.

The OST really is fantastic. I love all the instrumental variations of Legend is Born.

The soundtrack isn't that good in itself, but it's effective enough.

Qurupeke

I don't really feel Erased did make some giant misstep, especially given what transpired in few other episodes.
The mystery aspect is extremely underwhelming but that has been pretty obvious for a while. Pulling some complete out of a field twist on who dun it,
would have been worse.

I was okay with the show even with episodes 5-6. But this episode is the first time I find myself not caring about it anymore. The show's focus (not sure if this is true for the manga though), was always Kayo, and I just now realize that anything other than that was poorly made.
The show isn't a mystery, but it feels like they tried to make it seem like a shocking reveal, despite pretty much everyone having already guessed the killer's identity.
They can still do some interesting stuff but it's a bit obvious how things will play out now.

zulux21

Skip Beat 5-6

LlRngmR.gif

A pink jumpsuit should never look good. But somehow Kyoko pulls it off. So stylish.

Looks like Kyoko problems are more deep rooted than just Sho. Looks like she has serious mommy issues(though her dad is conspicuous by his absence too.)

I love her personality is basically; she dosen't take shit from anyone. Like you can push her to a certain extent but she'll always stand up for herself. She's also a massive troll at times too, it's great.

yup she has home issues, but they don't really go into them in the anime, in fact, it was only in the last year in the manga that they really started going deep into them. If you want to know what is going on I can fill the details as in the grand scheme they aren't to important, but if you might want to read the manga you could just find out that way :p

but yeah, one of the main reasons I like her is she is a strong female lead who isn't a bitch.

It's obvious at this point that
the Primordial Majin is not the big bad; Revolt is, and he doesn't really care what the Majin thinks despite the lipservice he gives it in public.

Yeah, that's definitely true. It still doesn't change that the Primordial Majin originally wanted Dragon Bone in the first place. Regardless of Revolt's actions, there is going to be a confrontation with the Primordial Majin, and I'm excited to see how the show handles it.

The soundtrack isn't that good in itself, but it's effective enough.

Instrumental versions of any show or video game's main theme always appeal to me, haha.

phaze

Jiraiya's Adventures aka Ajin 08

For people who successfully eluded authorities for so long, these Ajins are pretty dumb huh. Should have send in their stands for to convo instead of coming in person.

Ascheroth

Active Raid - 10

This show is so much fun. We're nearing the climax now and it's going to be awesome.

Erased - 10

This episode failed at being shocking with its 'big reveal', but on the other hand I had a great laugh!
I'll refrain from commenting on the ending scene because I've read the manga after last episode, but I'll say that I'm no longer worried about the anime not having a complete ending at this point.
Though, how satisfying it's going to be is another question, considering all the plot-holes and logic loops around the thriller-part of the show are pretty much anime-original...

pbayne

Wait, what, I'm so confused, lol. I'm only doing 6 different things right now, this is nothing..

I guess my greatest asset is also my biggest flaw when watching this stuff..

lol, Read what you wrote and come back.
Doing *that* in a cubicle, tut, tut

yup she has home issues, but they don't really go into them in the anime, in fact, it was only in the last year in the manga that they really started going deep into them. If you want to know what is going on I can fill the details as in the grand scheme they aren't to important, but if you might want to read the manga you could just find out that way :p

but yeah, one of the main reasons I like her is she is a strong female lead who isn't a bitch.

Ill hold off until I get to the end. I am enticed to pick up the manga now because there obviously is a bit more to the other characters like Ren and Sho and I don't they'll get too in-depth on them in the anime.

Also, I hope for more president and that rival girl at the audition, she was great

The Rose of Versailles 11-12

"Ah, how could this happen. I never saw this coming. This is very unexpected." - Duke de Guemene, man who shot a starving child in the back after letting him go and then laughed about it reacting to being executed via guillotine (hopefully)

Ascheroth

I hope not, what will they do for the remaining 14 episodes?

It's split-cour isn't it?
Of course I'm talking about the climax for this season, which is most likely going to be the showdown with
the Logos leader kid.
We don't really know his motivation yet and there's always the possibility
that he's also being used by someone else and join up with Unit 8 or something. Or he gets away and next season is still going to be about confronting him.
I'm not really sure yet in which direction it's going to go, but there are a couple options.

Erased 10

...wow...
I'd die so fucking pissed with myself. I was really convinced the teacher was just a massive red herring. but lolnope totally the "I love to murder children" type.

jonjonaug

I've seen the excitement for Rewrite but I haven't played it nor even know what it's about so not sure what to expect.

Rewrite's a lot of things, it's kinda hard to summarize. All of the routes vary wildly and not even the genre is particularly consistent.

Jarmel

Banned
Fafner:Exodus 1- Extended Edition
Holy fuck, those first 15 minutes were goddamn amazing. Seeing the Hawaii base get decimated like that, gave me a better appreciation of how horrific the human side of this conflict is. Those first few minutes had it all: comrades getting brainjacked, teammates having to kill each other, the captain having to remote blow up his own subordinates (some of whom were begging for their lives), civilians getting massacred as they try to escape, a person refusing to bomb their own people and pulling a gun on their XO, Hawaii getting nuked, and people walking in the radioactive wasteland. Just absolute despair with the larger connotation that because this base fell, millions of people are going to starve. On top of all this, you have some absolutely jaw dropping storyboarding and art direction. Talk about starting your season off with a bang.
That part was so good that it made the rest of the episode look somewhat dull, sorta like Symphogeah S3's opening episode. The rest of the episode is mostly about reintroducing the old cast who have again aged and are fitting into new roles on the island as mentors or learning new trades. There is definitely a mono no aware angle with the whole generational Fafner piloting. Everybody is growing up and it's nice to see how the pilots are adjusting to a period in their life where they aren't fighting for their lives and actually enjoying it. Many of the characters also look significantly different compared to earlier entries, better reflecting their older age. Soshi's glasses are a significant improvement and both him and Kazuki are rocking longer hair. This is the part where I'm glad I marathoned the show after Exodus came out as I liked the surprise of seeing the older cast in the episode instead of having it ruined via PVs. Seeing everybody mostly fulfilling their dreams also worked to bolster the notion that the island's culture is advancing and Japan is regaining what they lost. The episode is reflective on the underlying sadness and tragedy that many of the people there have undergone over the franchise's running time. There's numerous zoom-ins on things like photographs or the passing down of that stupid Gobain helmet.
It's interesting that Kazuki is running off borrowed time at this point. It seems like he is mostly at peace with his
impending death
but I wonder if Ubukata is going to delve into that a bit. There's also way too many pilots running around, so I wonder if this season is going to be a bloodbath to whittle those numbers down. It's also starting to become somewhat hard to keep track of everybody with the new pilots being added into the mix.
PZpVxtA.jpg

Are you there?
It was interesting looking at the differences between the extended edition and the TV broadcast. The TV broadcast seemed to cut out most of the Hawaii battle, which feels like a poor decision as that sets up the ending for the episode and presumably the season as a whole. I wonder if this is going to go the direction of Childhood's End, with a bunch of psychic kids and the rest of humanity being extinct. Either that or BSG with the Cylon baby stuff. The extended edition doesn't feel bloated nor any of the 'extra' material tacked on. I guess though that unless you're Ufotable, you don't get to air one hour specials whenever you feel like it. Anyway it should be interesting to see how well the art direction holds up to both Heaven and Earth as well as OG Dead Aggressor. I'm curious because so far this looks shockingly close to the quality seen in the movie, despite things such as more CGI for the backgrounds. I wonder how much of this improvement can be attributed to outsourcing the fights to Orange so that Xebec could focus on the character animation. It's also possible that changes on the directorial staff, with Takashi Noto being brought in for more involvement, helped. I guess this could serve as a possible litmus test for how well Xebec has improved over the past decade.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Erased Episode 10:

So the most obvious suspect in The Teacher was indeed the most obvious suspect, that is a bit is a bit disappointing. Also, didn't really need him revealing everything like a Bond villain but I suppose space needed to be filled. At least valuable knowledge has been gleamed for what I suppose is the next quantum leap here.

Haven't watched that so I can't relate, but I'd say what I found believable was basically how whimsical she is. She's gullible like most children, has a fairly active imagination (often going on in random tangents) and is constantly amazed by and interested in things we tend to find as mundane and boring as we grow up. I think it was that whole thing of experiencing things for the first time that I felt the most relatable, since it was kind of like that for me back then.

There are definitely aspects of Renge's behavior that are appropriate for her age, but her personality seems unusually low-energy, tending towards monotone, for a girl her age. When she talks it kind of sounds like she's being sarcastic, even if she isn't.

In my experience, Bunny Drop has the most true-to-life depiction of children in anime.

Squishy3

There are definitely aspects of Renge's behavior that are appropriate for her age, but her personality seems unusually low-energy, tending towards monotone, for a girl her age. When she talks it kind of sounds like she's being sarcastic, even if she isn't.
Of course you'd be jaded when everyone has been telling you you don't live in the country and then you find out you actually do.

Cornbread78

Did people really want the killer in Erased to be a red herring thing? For there to be a stupid twist? That would have been worse.

Nah, it was fine as-is, I just kept thinking I was missing something right in front of my face, but I wasn't, lol.

Also, Aishiteruze Baby has a really good child character.

pbayne

Gad Guard 16

Nice to see Takumi get some focus. He's such an outlier in the cast since everyone else moral compass is fairly grey whilst his is so skewed towards being "good" at all cost. And the show does a great job of showing how dangerous that mindset can be. Got some Eva flashbacks when his mech just goes berserk.

Holy fuck, those first 15 minutes were goddamn amazing. Seeing the Hawaii base get decimated like that, gave me a better appreciation of how horrific the human side of this conflict is. Those first few minutes had it all: comrades getting brainjacked, teammates having to kill each other, the captain having to remote blow up his own subordinates (some of whom were begging for their lives), civilians getting massacred as they try to escape, a person refusing to bomb their own people and pulling a gun on their XO, Hawaii getting nuked, and people walking in the radioactive wasteland. Just absolute despair with the larger connotation that because this base fell, millions of people are going to starve. On top of all this, you have some absolutely jaw dropping storyboarding and art direction. Talk about starting your season off with a bang.

That part was so good that it made the rest of the episode look somewhat dull, sorta like Symphogeah S3's opening episode. The rest of the episode is mostly about reintroducing the old cast who have again aged and are fitting into new roles on the island as mentors or learning new trades. There is definitely a mono no aware angle with the whole generational Fafner piloting. Everybody is growing up and it's nice to see how the pilots are adjusting to a period in their life where they aren't fighting for their lives and actually enjoying it. Many of the characters also look significantly different compared to earlier entries, better reflecting their older age. Soshi's glasses are a significant improvement and both him and Kazuki are rocking longer hair. This is the part where I'm glad I marathoned the show after Exodus came out as I liked the surprise of seeing the older cast in the episode instead of having it ruined via PVs. Seeing everybody mostly fulfilling their dreams also worked to bolster the notion that the island's culture is advancing and Japan is regaining what they lost. The episode is reflective on the underlying sadness and tragedy that many of the people there have undergone over the franchise's running time. There's numerous zoom-ins on things like photographs or the passing down of that stupid Gobain helmet.

It's interesting that Kazuki is running off borrowed time at this point. It seems like he is mostly at peace with his
impending death
but I wonder if Ubukata is going to delve into that a bit. There's also way too many pilots running around, so I wonder if this season is going to be a bloodbath to whittle those numbers down. It's also starting to become somewhat hard to keep track of everybody with the new pilots being added into the mix.

It was interesting looking at the differences between the extended edition and the TV broadcast. The TV broadcast seemed to cut out most of the Hawaii battle, which feels like a poor decision as that sets up the ending for the episode and presumably the season as a whole. I wonder if this is going to go the direction of Childhood's End, with a bunch of psychic kids and the rest of humanity being extinct. Either that or BSG with the Cylon baby stuff. The extended edition doesn't feel bloated nor any of the 'extra' material tacked on. I guess though that unless you're Ufotable, you don't get to air one hour specials whenever you feel like it. Anyway it should be interesting to see how well the art direction holds up to both Heaven and Earth as well as OG Dead Aggressor. I'm curious because so far this looks shockingly close to the quality seen in the movie, despite things such as more CGI for the backgrounds. I wonder how much of this improvement can be attributed to outsourcing the fights to Orange so that Xebec could focus on the character animation. It's also possible that changes on the directorial staff, with Takashi Noto being brought in for more involvement, helped. I guess this could serve as a possible litmus test for how well Xebec has improved over the past decade.

I didnt know the extended edition added that much. I really need this BD to come out here, it looks so much higher quality than the version that aired.

TUSR

Banned
Erased

How come Hiromi was murdered? Isn't he in Satoru's class?

If so, how did the teacher mistake him for a girl?

I wonder how much of this improvement can be attributed to outsourcing the fights to Orange so that Xebec could focus on the character animation. It's also possible that changes on the directorial staff, with Takashi Noto being brought in for more involvement, helped. I guess this could serve as a possible litmus test for how well Xebec has improved over the past decade.

I'm not too certain about how subdivisions work, but Exodus production was shifted completely to XebecZwei instead of the main Xebec studio.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ojisan to Marshmallow Episode 10:

Okay, I actually saw that twist coming because I thought it was a bit unusual otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom