• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

Assassination Classroom S2 - 10

Poor Nagisa, stuck between Rio (How did she manage to get his trousers off so quickly?!) and Karma. Great to see the show settle back into some more comedy.

On a side note. think the anime cut off what happened to the sniper dude
can't even remember if the manga showed the Repear assaulting him or not.

I do have to say the sense of dread leading up to the reveal was fantastic. My heart sunk watching the scene unfold.
The despair on Satorus face was too real.

Yeah in isolation this was great, how the scene was done, the slow realisation by
Satoru
was fantastic. It's just a shame that this is one of the parts I feel was done poorly, but it was still pretty enjoyable because of just how well directed it is.

Assassination Classroom S2 - 10

Poor Nagisa, stuck between Rio (How did she manage to get his trousers off so quickly?!) and Karma. Great to see the show settle back into some more comedy.

On a side note. think the anime cut off what happened to the sniper dude
can't even remember if the manga showed the Repear assaulting him or not.

I thought the anime did cover it or at least mention episodes back that he couldnt be contacted.

Konosuba 9

Why does everyone have saggy boobs? Kyo Ani would have done those succaboobs justice.

Kazuma is a child predator. Get Megumin away as far as possible.

Aki-at

I thought the anime did cover it or at least mention episodes back that he couldnt be contacted.

Did they? I thought it was Lovro they couldn't get a hold of but maybe I spaced out.

Checked the manga and yeah there was a scene with him being attacked by
the Reaper. Man the amount of content that was cut for that arc disappoints me :(

JulianImp

Eureka Seven #7
Wait, now we're back to the kids being assholes to Renton? Seriously?

Was kind of funny, but nothing too interesting. Show's still in a lull, I'd say.

#8 (just started)
Yep, the brats are back to being unrelenting assholes for some reason, then one of them goes missing and everyone freaks out. Looks like it's going to be yet another meh episode...

Eureka Seven #7
Wait, now we're back to the kids being assholes to Renton? Seriously?

Was kind of funny, but nothing too interesting. Show's still in a lull, I'd say.

#8 (just started)
Yep, the brats are back to being unrelenting assholes for some reason. Then one of them goes missing and everyone freaks out. Looks like it's going to be yet another meh episode...

Eureka Seven's early episodes are very slow and it spends a lot of time setting things up about the world to flesh them out later. Because of that, you might find the next few episodes to be a bit dull as well, but they build up to a fantastic arc.

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 34

Powerful episode. You can't do better than Katsumi Terahigashi did here at portraying Gon's stubborn determination to connect with his friends,

CdPHZfdUYAAZZL4.jpg

and Canary's tragic suppression of her feelings.

It was unflinchingly violent and yet tenderly beautiful.

I have to say, the more I watch this version the more I can actually begin to understand why people would prefer the 2011 version. The emotions in this show are so raw, the appeal to the heartstrings so direct, that it can become difficult to watch.

Active Raid 10

On one hand, I can appreciate the fact that the plot is kicking in and shit is going down. But I do miss the goofy shenanigans of earlier episodes.

Yeah, that was supposed to be played for laughs, I didn't take it as Kazuma being a legit creep.

Well.

In that way.

More than he normally is.

Yeah in isolation this was great, how the scene was done, the slow realisation by
Satoru
was fantastic. It's just a shame that this is one of the parts I feel was done poorly, but it was still pretty enjoyable because of just how well directed it is.

I feel like we'll say this a lot more in the last two episodes.

"Yeah that was kind of dumb but the direction was pretty solid"

Either way, Erased has been very enjoyable. I hope the last few episodes are satisfactory.

Quasar

I assume effingvic is referring to when he was talking to the succubus and asking if he could do weird creeepy pervy shit even if it was illegal.

Thats why I expected his fantasy to be someone younger and was pleasantly surprised when it was a older woman. Guess that was just a audience tease.

Tuck

Devil is a Part Timer - 5
God this is stupid. Enjoying it though.

Wish red hair was about 2 notches less bitchy tho.

They gathered data for his dream, not for the succubus. The succubus was supposed to give him his preferred dream not be his preferred dream. Her appearance has nothing to do with the preferences he requested.

Mailbox

Ah! My Goddess ep. 12-15

I miss when this show was a slice of life romance show. Now its just a string of filler episodes that you'd see when a shounen would be waiting for the manga to catch up. :(

I do appreciate that they do proper call backs and all the filler have some relevence to future episodes, but jeez some of these episodes are just dumb. episode 15 and that one robot fighting episode were just not needed at all. Actually, I think , with exception to episode 9, Skuld's introduction as main character num.4 is where this show started to lose me. Her reason for staying on earth is beyond stupid (its literally "I miss my sister, boo hoo, i'm staying" when we've seen that heaven doesn't take shit like that lightly. Not to mention her current job being hugely important. Heaven must be on a meltdown right now... jesus!), and her antics are just bleh!

Does it get better and less "filler"-y?

Episode 16

Suddenly: Wakamoto as a tiny god of misfortune!

This show can be fun, but I'm starting to get really annoyed by these seemingly random episodes.

At least I got to see mini-wakamoto acting flamboyant. That was nice :p

edit: i did a premature evaluation of episode 16. I was only 1/4th through the episode. Now that i'm done, I can say that I could get used to Belldandy's... new emotions... :p

Cornbread78

Kiritobread, what is that?

The succubus Kazuma protected from the duo of justice.

Fairy Tail ep.29-31
We got to visit Lucy's mansion as she had to move on from her troublesome father and her former life. We then got pillow fights and a play, which were hilarious filler episodes. I mean, the comedy hasn't gotten old at all yet and I'd really good.. Also, they started to finally get to the Loke relationship with Lucy since the running gag has him running away from her when she gets too close Looks like his troublesome past is coming to light now. I hope they can find a way to save him from his fate
being a celestial spirit stuck in the human world.
I didn't see that coming!

zulux21

jojo 20 (and whatever episodes I watched since my last post)

So, like grandfather like grandson but this time around it had a better impact. Yes Caeser was being dumb with a lot of things including going in knowing there was not 1 but 2 enemies, and yes... he made some stupid mistakes, but the total bro move at the end made up for it. I kind of figured he would die, I am not sure if Lisa Lisa will die. Jojo won't die though as he hasn't set up a way to make the next Jojo :p

The succubus Kazuma protected from the duo of justice.

Fairy Tail ep.29-31
We got to visit Lucy's mansion as she had to move on from her troublesome father and her former life. We then got pillow fights and a play, which were hilarious filler episodes. I mean, the comedy hasn't gotten old at all yet and I'd really good.. Also, they started to finally get to the Loke relationship with Lucy since the running gag has him running away from her when she gets too close Looks like his troublesome past is coming to light now. I hope they can find a way to save him from his fate
being a celestial spirit stuck in the human world.
I didn't see that coming!

:p

note: it's not a spoiler just some random adorable fan art lol

ckohler

Ah! My Goddess ep. 12-15

I miss when this show was a slice of life romance show. Now its just a string of filler episodes that you'd see when a shounen would be waiting for the manga to catch up. :(

I do appreciate that they do proper call backs and all the filler have some relevence to future episodes, but jeez some of these episodes are just dumb. episode 15 and that one robot fighting episode were just not needed at all. Actually, I think , with exception to episode 9, Skuld's introduction as main character num.4 is where this show started to lose me. Her reason for staying on earth is beyond stupid (its literally "I miss my sister, boo hoo, i'm staying" when we've seen that heaven doesn't take shit like that lightly. Not to mention her current job being hugely important. Heaven must be on a meltdown right now... jesus!), and her antics are just bleh!

Does it get better and less "filler"-y?

For what it's worth, Skuld and her reason to stay on Earth is all cannon pulled straight from the manga. That's just the kind of show it is. The recent TV series was pretty faithful and I don't remember any filler, but I could be wrong. It was certainly more faithful to the manga than the 90's OVA was.

zulux21

jojo 23
that revelation at the end... makes jojo's perving out a little... odd lol.

also logically means that he is the offspring of his grandmother's adopted daughter and her actual son. though they did say that she was shipped off with the monk like person... but at the same time why would she have interacted with his dad then who was said to have no talent with hamon o_O

Wammu was still a decent personish thing.

Mailbox

For what it's worth, Skuld and her reason to stay on Earth is all cannon pulled straight from the manga. That's just the kind of show it is. The recent TV series was pretty faithful and I don't remember any filler, but I could be wrong. It was certainly more faithful to the manga than the 90's OVA was.

thats slightly disappointing.
Skuld staying on earth creates way too many logical inconsistencies. I'm watchin the TV series. a lot of these episodes feel like manga filler, would have preferred it cut tbh

That said, the show isn't bad, just that what it was during the first 8 episodes was great and i wanted more of that.

jojo 23
that revelation at the end... makes jojo's perving out a little... odd lol.

also logically means that he is the offspring of his grandmother's adopted daughter and her actual son. though they did say that she was shipped off with the monk like person... but at the same time why would she have interacted with his dad then who was said to have no talent with hamon o_O

Wammu was still a decent personish thing.

Sounds like prime material for a George JR and Lisa Lisa spinoff light novel

Instro

Regarding Erased...It's interesting how much weight people put on knowing or not knowing who the killer is, to the point that it being an obvious choice makes the show immediately shit. Personally I don't think the strength of the thriller/mystery genre lies in sudden twist endings to shock the audience. Knowing more than the protagonist, or being step ahead of them, can be as rewarding, or more rewarding, than not knowing. Given that most of the other aspects of the show have been well done to this point, I don't see a problem with how the show has progressed or where it's heading.

Regarding Erased...It's interesting how much weight people put on knowing or not knowing who the killer is, to the point that it being an obvious choice makes the show immediately shit. Personally I don't think the strength of the thriller/mystery genre lies in sudden twist endings to shock the audience. Knowing more than the protagonist, or being step ahead of them, can be as rewarding, or more rewarding, than not knowing. Given that most of the other aspects of the show have been well done to this point, I don't see a problem with how the show has progressed or where it's heading.

I think its more that the entire killer plotline feels secondary to what people actually like about the show. The entire episode just made me wonder what the point of all if it was. There's no "a-ha" moment or satisfactory conclusion or any sort of anything because it felt obvious from the beginning and offers nothing beyond that.

Mailbox

a LOT of people in this thread warned people that they would feel disappointed if they treated it as a whodunit murder mystery rather than as a thriller. Those people were right, evidently.

My slight problem was with how hamfisted the reveal felt. The cornucopia of creepy grins and evil stare until Satoru FINALLY got it was slightly jarring. I would have liked it if the killer hinted at specific things in that scene (like if he said something relating to being in the bus or something like that) and then Satoru slowly piecing it together until finally we see an evil grin/ red eyes instead of what we got.

Its a slight gripe though. One that pushes this away from great and into good (or good enough)

The outrage in the main anime's thread felt weird to me. That said I also don't get why people seem to hate Parasyte, so idk...

Mailbox

I think its more that the entire killer plotline feels secondary to what people actually like about the show. The entire episode just made me wonder what the point of all if it was. There's no "a-ha" moment or satisfactory conclusion or any sort of anything because it felt obvious from the beginning and offers nothing beyond that.

I kinda feel like the killer aspect in Erased was like Cern in Steins;gate.
No real resolve, no real massive twists (at least not about the force behind everything... i guess), just a plot structure to make everything else come out and come together. Something that eventually needs to be stopped and identified but not the main point.

Of course, steins;gate did it better, but thats beside the point.

Edit: The big difference probably being the perception of trying to stop deaths versus trying to stop a murderer. That key distinction is why people are miffed, i think.

zulux21

jojo 24

I am curious how Mask that turns you into something that is super vulnerable to uv light + stone that makes UV light magnified in power many times over = anything but a creature that instantly dies when hit with UV light lol.

I'll just go with... magic

pbayne

The outrage in the main anime's thread felt weird to me. That said I also don't get why people seem to hate Parasyte, so idk...

I liked Parasyte enough until the ending 5-6 episodes which are just bizarrely structured(granted it may be the manga's fault.)

The main problem being
why the hell is Reiko not the final obstacle for Shinichi? From a thematic standpoint she is the exact opposite to him and represents the parasyte that has become the most human. Instead we got generic monster man Gotou. What an anti-climax. Like he dosen't have to fight her or anything but she should have been the last hurdle for him to reconcile with.

Like the had a chance to do something really introspective, go into the nature of the parasyte's vs the humans for survival, who's the real monster etc. but instead the ending was very generic shounen final boss stuff.

zulux21

I liked Parasyte enough until the ending 5-6 episodes which are just bizarrely structured(granted it may be the manga's fault.)

The main problem being
why the hell is Reiko not the final obstacle for Shinichi? From a thematic standpoint she is the exact opposite to him and represents the parasyte that has become the most human. Instead we got generic monster man Gotou. What an anti-climax.

Like the had a chance to do something really introspective, go into the nature of the parasyte's vs the humans for survival, who's the real monster etc. but instead the ending was very generic shounen final boss stuff.

I think you are forgetting the last few episodes lol.
as it doesn't end with a shounen final boss... that is like 3 eps before the end... for some reason the show just continues for a bit with absolutely nothing of real importance going on until you just accept it's done and there isn't any need to continue lol.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Screw Erased, Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū is AOTS. Just started watching it and I'm blown away.

KazenY2J

Erased 10:
What a tweest
Yeah, the teacher being the killer was too obvious and kind of disappointing honestly.
How are they going to wrap this up in two episodes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom