• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Digimon Adventure Tri OVA 2, Episode 1:

Well, that wasn't going to dispel the notion that bathhouse/hot springs episodes are a pile of bullshit and chips.

Just T

Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu: 10

They did a bit too much with this CEO character, you can't just make someone quit school over them throwing water on you, that doesn't even make sense. As for the twist at the end, that's going to cause some issues.

Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu: 10

They did a bit too much with this CEO character, you can't just make someone quit school over them throwing water on you, that doesn't even make sense. As for the twist at the end, that's going to cause some issues.

CEO was so smug though, hope she comes back with more of that.

I didn't really get the twist, it's not like they were in it for the money or anything, so using it to save someone from distress is a pretty nice way to spend their earnings.

Lupin the Third (2015) - 21

So I was thinking that as the series progressed Zenigata got more and more slapstick (Much to my disappointment) but then
it was Lupin all along!

Then I was thinking how easily he
got caught and taped up but it was Fujiko all along!

An enjoyable episode with some nice twist and turns. Wish some of these secondary characters would repear more in Lupin media.

This is probably my favourite episode of this Lupin season., the side characters were nice, and reasonably fleshed out for people who appear in just one episode.

JulianImp

Just did a quick amazon JP search and realized that there's a still Karen figure with a road roller in it. I'll probably have to get it and and have her share it with
Dio

I'm kind of partial towards posable figures, but it looks like crane game prize ones also look good for the most part and some have pretty nice poses (while some are just pure fanservice).

Hey, even if the Barakamon spinoff is only half as good as the original show, it'll still be pretty good.

Seiyu's Life! Episodes 4-5
As someone who usually hates slice of life comedy shows, I find myself oddly really enjoying this. All the characters are anxious about their future, and as someone who is graduating soon, I can relate.
The scenes where the main cast interact with the vets of the industry are probably the best part of the show.
The contrast between stage Yui Horie, and real life Yui Horie was pretty funny.

Just T

CEO was so smug though, hope she comes back with more of that.

I didn't really get the twist, it's not like they were in it for the money or anything, so using it to save someone from distress is a pretty nice way to spend their earnings.
I will say I prefer her being smug than how she was acting before, that was too annoying.

Yeah that's true, I don't remember them even bringing it up tbh but if it does make a lot of profit and they see none of it, I would be surprised if no one feels some type of way about it. Plus she should of just came out the bag with it earlier, this is a horrible way for them to find out.

Digimon Adventure tri Episode 6 & 7
tumblr_o3vx0mFLUR1qbxqfpo1_540.jpg
tumblr_o3vx0mFLUR1qbxqfpo2_540.jpg

6 was a waste of time, can they really finish a whole story in 24 episodes with this sort of pacing?

In any case, there were good moments in their slife of life and school portions. Yamato and Taichi really need to do something so they can speak to each other as friends and such again though when youre asking such deep questions to one another to understand each other on a more intimate level I guess such emotional turmoil can be felt. I just wnat them to finally hash out their differences. Soon I hope.

Joe seems to be in emotional distress too, though maybe he will get out of it when some plot action happens.

Dagashi Kashi 09

hey, they actually adapted the ulcer chapter. i dont think it was saya and hotaru in the chapter but they are a good fit

Sekko boyz 10

I mean Mira's manager is way better then Isshie, they aren't wrong

She and her cat 02

If she got the cat at that age then the cat will probably die at the end. if so, fuck this show forever i cant handle that

Non Non Biyori 4

OK, here Renge acted more childlike as I'd expect someone her age to act. And wow, did the story of her fleeting friendship with Honoka hit hard. Very simple, but for that reason all the more moving. I'm really impressed with the way Shinya Kawamo stretches out the pacing to create a mood; the first and this episode, which he storyboarded himself, are especially good at that. He does that to capture slow-moving rural life, and also uses it in this episode to express Renge's emotions in an understated manner. The very slow pan in on Renge's face after she's been told Honoka left, and the very slow fade to black as Renge walks across a bridge, speak volumes. I appreciate a director who isn't afraid their audience will become bored, but will push these moments to their limit to achieve maximum effectiveness.

Certainly he succeeded in making me cry.

JulianImp

I just went to check, and it looks like my last code expired ten days ago. It also looks like I'm not getting any new codes now that I've had to switch to CR's regional pricing, which charges me Argentine pesos so things are easier on both ends.

Non Non Biyori 4

OK, here Renge acted more childlike as I'd expect someone her age to act. And wow, did the story of her fleeting friendship with Honoka hit hard. Very simple, but for that reason all the more moving. I'm really impressed with the way Shinya Kawamo stretches out the pacing to create a mood; the first and this episode, which he storyboarded himself, are especially good at that. He does that to capture slow-moving rural life, and also uses it in this episode to express Renge's emotions in an understated manner. The very slow pan in on Renge's face after she's been told Honoka left, and the very slow fade to black as Renge walks across a bridge, speak volumes. I appreciate a director who isn't afraid their audience will become bored, but will push these moments to their limit to achieve maximum effectiveness.

Yeah, the way Renge stood in place for a long while before letting out a very stiffled sob that she had obviously been trying her darnest to hold back had an amazing impact for me. It made me realize that I really appreciate it when shows use silence and stillness as a literary device.

Like I said in a previous post covering NNB, I always felt like regular shows would've added voice-overs during all those slow pans of the town and its scenery, and the fact that NNB didn't do so was both daring and, in my opinion, a great decision that helped convey the girls' quiet rural life way better than other common devices that anime shows tend to use.

pbayne

I can't. Five minutes into Digimon Tri what the hell's going on with those stupid dungaree things Koushiro's wearing? And Takeru, a fucking sleeveless vest with a beanie?

Yeah, the pacing issues are centered around a group of episodes more than the arc itself. It just comes at a bad time but your tolerance for it might vary given one could blow through those in a weekend just to get them out of the way. I think 124/125 of the 2011 series are a highlight you'd miss and 131 is like end of Death Note levels of cathartic too.

Alright, I'll take that into consideration. I guess it's a trade-off between rough art and rough pacing here.

Non Non Biyori 4

NNB is one of those series that can be hysterical one minute and then extremely moving and powerful the next, all without feeling cheesy or forced.

Enjoy! Its one of the best SOLs out there.

If I met a kid like Renge I'd assume there was something up with the kid because, (based the original series) she was way too apathetic and monotone. She did child-like things but sometimes it felt like child-like things done by someone pretending to be a child.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Digimon Adventure Tri OVA 2, Episode 2:

Okay, it is nice that there are some things actually happening that are relevant to the plot while still enabling character growth. On the other hand I want to hurt the person who decided to wrap all of this around generic high school slice of life tropes, as if we don't have enough of that in the world, that part shouldn't be taking priority over the monster fighting.

JulianImp

If I met a kid like Renge I'd assume there was something up with the kid because, (based the original series) she was way too apathetic and monotone. She did child-like things but sometimes it felt child-like things done by someone pretending to be a child.

But she was still one of the better written child characters in an anime I've seen so far. Even though Renge's character was obviously stylized and had spots that felt unnatural at times, she was way better than the rest of the cast, which felt a lot more like classic anime stereotypes and were one-trick ponies for the most part (Komori with trying to be adult-like and failing, Hotaru being more adult-ish while having a weird fixation with Komori, and the latter's little sister always being the energetic boke that she was).

I AM

FREE

I feel you man, I couldn't take the ridiculous cliffhangers. Needless to say, it's only downhill from here.

Definitely Erased lol, not even a contest.

Yeah the show has been sublime in terms of production and directing actually. The production values have been great, and the characters very entertaining to watch. Let's not forget the moments we all loved with Kayo too. But that's the problem right there for me. All of these moments I loved were during the Kayo arc. Since then, I haven't really felt any kind of emotion really, no more heartfelt scenes, nothing. Then we have the fact that the murderer was so obvious that I sorta hoped that it was a red herring with some kind of big twist behind it, since the show seemed to be pretty smart up to that point.

So yeah, show was great for the first 6-7 episodes. After that... Welp. Production and direction is still great but, damn if they didn't waste a great opportunity to make something real cool. With 2 episodes left, there is no way they can hamfist some kind of big twist either, so all that's left is him catching the killer, and returning back to the present (which hopefully fixed the timeline or not).

I miss their moments too.

Digimon Adventure tri Episode 8 – Determination Part 4
CdSNLbHW4AEjgEa.jpg

Im so glad someone on the staff is enjoying putting all of these types of scenes in this anime. More post soccer playing scenes please.

Ken is evil or not evil, what is the basis behind what he is doing, then again since the lady smirked when Meicoomon turned and killed Leomon, but Ken seemed to have a plot to capture Meicoomon, perhaps he was actually doing something helpful and not evil. Surely some human is a bad guy.

I love when digivolutions are spammed.

Qurupeke

Digimon Adventure tri 5

You know what? If Sora really doesn't end up with Taichi, I'm fine with this. Meiko is a nice fit to the team, I really like her, even though she's a lot like the typical trope of the shy and clumsy girl. Anyway, calm and campy episode, not much to say.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Digimon Tri OVA 2, Episode 3:

What even is this thing? Seriously it is like TOEI had a check box that each one of these episodes had to be a generic anime episode and this one is the generic cultural festival dalliance where the most remarkable thing is I think this series is now trying to ship Mimi and Miko for some reason but at least they have chemistry I suppose.

Realized that I'm gonna be spending a good portion of my tax return on anime figurines I've been meaning to buy for years but never did due to 1. space issues in my apartment and 2. not having a job that afforded me such things. With my current job eliminating both those issues...I now know no shame

Am I the only one that isn't upset with Erased and the direction it has gone?

Edit: I'm not! I read the manga, I had no illusions about it actually being a slice of life with no thriller elements.

Digimons Adventure Tri 02 - Episode 1

This is not the Digimon I remember. But it was actually fine. Teenagers in a teenager anime doing teenager things.

Oh and the OP song, just like when I watched the first couple of episodes, still gives me goosebumps.

Garo Crimson Moon Episode 20
This is just the same fight from the first series. The one between Leon and Alfonso, only now it doesn't make any thematic sense, and it's poorly animated. There's no relationship being tested here.
Yasusuke has never cared about what Raikou thinks. They've exchanged like 5 sentences in the entire series so far.

Russ T

Banned
I ordered a Kirby nendoroid that was just shipped yesterday. I'm excited for it.

That's not anime, though.

I also ordered a Majora's Mask Link and Isabelle (from Animal Crossing).

Also not anime.

Thinking about getting Hinata (Haikyuu). Definitely gonna get Saitama at some point. Hozuki from Hozuki no Reitetsu! Honestly I'll probably get Wind Waker link, too. And those are just the ones releasing this year. If I started going backwards in time...

And to think a few months ago I was telling someone I couldn't stand the way Nendoroids looked with the weird chibi style for everything. I don't know when the switch flipped but now I love 'em. D:

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Digimon Adventure Tri OVA 2, Episode 4:

Okay, once they shook off the high school tropes and remember to have giant monsters fighting each other and remembering the heart of the cards, this got decent. That being said I have several questions, several angry questions about the presumed master villain here.

Nanana's Buried Treasure

Well this was unexpected and a hell of a lot of fun but I will admit to be so turned off by the first appearance of Tensai and Darkuru that I almost quit. A double helping of what seemed to be loli/shota bait was not what I wanted and in fairness the show largely avoided delivering that. That's not to say Darkuru is anything but a vehicle for other characters to be creepy as all hell to or about but at least there's way less of that than ep 2 seemed to imply there might be.

The fights were well animated and I loved each trap's intro even if the MC is allowed to break all the rules because of course he is (
seriously in the last ruin he literally just runs straight through it)
!

A real shame there isn't any more anime of this as I loved the energy and direction it has, ah well guess this may be my first 'gotta read the manga/LN' title (although I'd be even more afraid of what happens w/Darkuru in there).

TL:DR; Pudding!

Assassination Classroom S2 Episode 10
d_KPPA2_U.jpg

It's good to see that Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is doing well.

This episode was a treat. One that managed to balance the humor and morals of the series well.

Also this girl...

needs to get more focus.

Jarmel

Banned
So Jexhius had previously talked about the user interfaces in Yamato 2199 and how high quality they were and I wanted to discuss that point in reference to Fafner. The UIs in the original were nothing special and really nothing worth talking about.
They would have a bunch of illegible filler text with the word "Solomon" flashing to signify that it was Solomon giving the information. The cockpits themselves weren't anything particularly notable either. There was a bit of a jump with Right of Left in how background information was displayed.
This is a pocket PC (antiquated as dirt I know) and what stands out to me are things like the quality of the schematic, the readability of the text, and what information is displayed. It actually looks like something that might have existed in the early 2000s. Even things like the image icons at the bottom give it a degree of realism, to the point that I wonder which OS they ripped off to create that image. Heaven and Earth showed siginificant improvement over the CDC displays and holograms in general. This is really the start of the series using high quality artwork for the displays as the displays serve to convey position information to the audience.
Not only do these interfaces look better, they also serve to reinforce information given to the audience. Instead of having people say where an enemy is in position to the island, it's crystal clear to the audience due to the visual models. This continue with Exodus.

What's really blowing my mind is that the displays actually have correct English. Compare that to Gate that had jurnalism displayed on full blast. As far as I can tell, Fafner doesn't have a dedicated display design position, so I guess this work would go to whoever does the CG. The displays really help to give the show an extra visual 'oomph' and add to that whole scifi aspect.

Qurupeke

Digimon Adventure tri 6-7

Oh man, people who say this is Slice of Life are absolutely right. I don't remember Digimon Adventure 01 well but I'm sure it was action heavy. This time, we barely have any fights and there are episodes without anything big happening. I still enjoy this as I like the characters and I love all those interactions between them but this doesn't feel like Digimon at all. Also, agreed about the clothes. What the hell is Koshiro wearing...? And I was wrong about Meiko and Taichi, it seems the ship is Meiko x Mimi. I'll support that.

The Joe story is depressing. I'm sure that he'll eventually return with a glorious scene, but for the past 7 episodes, it's nothing but misery out of him. I can't. :(

Digimon Adventure Tri 2 Part 4

Nice to see Digimon's longstanding tradition hasn't gone away. Leomon dying and whatnot.

Gotta love your sensei being a bro by sending you a picture of a girl you fancy to both pop a boner and show up at school.

I do feel though... there wasn't too much action in this part, and it kind of felt a bit dull, but there was some character talk to point out their flaws.

BUT HEY, MIMI IS A JIKOCHU! I KNOW WHO TO CALL

mho9i0r.png

They should have just turned it into a story about child abuse and have the mother be responsible.

That certainly would have been better, but I dunno if it works with how Erased is written. It's hard for me to state how I actually feel since there's the one part of Erased that I really like and then literally everything else.

It sucks at being a thriller or mystery but its good with the Kayo stuff. But hearing that she shows up in some dumb reunion after leaving makes me think that maybe the anime polished that part up.

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 36

The tease at the end makes me tempted to skip Heaven's Arena and go straight to Yorknew, since apparently that's where the really good stuff is, but I'll watch it all like a good boy.

Tuck

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 36

The tease at the end makes me tempted to skip Heaven's Arena and go straight to Yorknew, since apparently that's where the really good stuff is, but I'll watch it all like a good boy.

Lol, Yeah... don't do that. Heaven's Arena is super important.

I'll put it this way, how would you do it instead up to this point?

Cut out the murder mystery parts, and just make it about a boy trying to save his classmate(s) from abuse and loneliness.

That certainly would have been better, but I dunno if it works with how Erased is written. It's hard for me to state how I actually feel since there's the one part of Erased that I really like and then literally everything else.

It sucks at being a thriller or mystery but its good with the Kayo stuff. But hearing that
she shows up in some dumb reunion after leaving makes me think that maybe the anime polished that part up.

Is that a spoiler...? >_> Eh, no big deal its kind of minor.

Lol, Yeah... don't do that. Heaven's Arena is super important.

Cut out the murder mystery parts, and just make it about a boy trying to save his classmate(s) from abuse and loneliness.

So it failed from the get-go with the killing of his mom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom