• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love Live! 1

This...

This is it. The culmination of all the high school girls' anime I have watched.

Wake Up Girls!
K-On!
Everything by Key
Yuriphonium
Cinderella IM@S
other stuff i cant think of

The pinnacle of anime finally arrives...

No crying until the end

Line_HTX

Erased 10

I'll admit, I knew who the culprit was already, since there were hardly any other possibilities shown. My goal was to see how it got to that point, which is why I'm still liking the show. It's not perfect, but it's thrilling to me and still a good show this season.

That turn heel face though, there's nothing like it. It's like that dude in the Fullbring arc that snuck up behind Ichigo and had THAT FACE as well.

I'm with Instro. A simple process of elimination down to a fairly clear choice does not make this automatically shit. I think the thrilling parts come from what is Satoru going to do about it.

I don't think anyone brought this up, but I think this is the first time an anime has somewhat of a hockey scene? Progress!

zulux21

jojo part 2 fin
it was a fun finish to fun fights. Overall this was a fun series that I will have to look into buying (ideally they will release more at a higher quality) The tease at the end was annoying. Not because it implied part 3 would be about the next generation squaring off against Dio, but because the chest that Dio was pulled up in shouldn't have been down there or with Dio in it because that is what Erina was floating in when she was saved despite the fact it was made of marble and shouldn't have floated.

on the plus side I now have another show to compare to Shura no Toki for a show that just kind of does a generation's arc and then moves on to the next one, which is fun :p

I do also have to figure that by part 4 this will go into the future as another 50 year jump would put us in the 2030s lol.

pbayne

jojo part 2 fin
it was a fun finish to fun fights. Overall this was a fun series that I will have to look into buying (ideally they will release more at a higher quality) The tease at the end was annoying. Not because it implied part 3 would be about the next generation squaring off against Dio, but because the chest that Dio was pulled up in shouldn't have been down there or with Dio in it because that is what Erina was floating in when she was saved despite the fact it was made of marble and shouldn't have floated.

on the plus side I now have another show to compare to Shura no Toki for a show that just kind of does a generation's arc and then moves on to the next one, which is fun :p

I do also have to figure that by part 4 this will go into the future as another 50 year jump would put us in the 2030s lol.

Ah the famous coffin conundrum. I think even Araki admitted he messed up with that.

Its weird to say this but part 3 is kind of where the series establishes what it's most famous for and it's a lot different in terms of pacing and structure.

But yeah glad you enjoyed it.
Only one month to marathon part 3 in preparation for part 4 lol.

Love Live 2
I'm really enjoying the pacing so far. We've gotten lots of chances to get to know most of the cast, and we're already picking up speed. Motivation so far is pretty solid, and while I wasn't a fan of the artstyle from pictures, the animation really saves it.

also obi wan nozomi

zulux21

Ah the famous coffin conundrum. I think even Araki admitted he messed up with that.

Its weird to say this but part 3 is kind of where the series establishes what it's most famous for and it's a lot different in terms of pacing and structure.

But yeah glad you enjoyed it.
Only one month to marathon part 3 in preparation for part 4 lol.

im still undecided if I want to jump on the jojo train fully or wait for it to release and just watch it that way. (plus I might need to find someone else to watch bet with now to get the skip beat love really going lol.)

though they didn't say lisa lisa died with the time jump so I am curious who looks older, her or jojo lol.

I can't find any info if WB plans to release more of Jojo with a dub or not.

but yeah with the coffin someone messed up. the most logical thing would have been if there was two from the start, with the second one wasn't made of marble that would sink so that she would have another one to float in lol.

Love Live 3
Okay, with the end of the first arc I think that'll be enough for tonight. It's like the entire first season of K-On all in three episodes lol.

I'm starting to get the names down ...
Honoka, Not-Mio, Obi Wan Nozomi..... and I just know Nico because of GAF, but I'm just having a hard time really pinning down everyone else's names. The blonde hair friend hasn't really contributed all that much, character-wise to make her stand out. Although her hair is just fabulous.

It sure is hitting all the beats ... funny enough except for the music for me. Like, Wake Up Girls had Tachiagare and 7 Girls War by this point which were just like holy cow awesome, and IM@S is just a treasure trove of hits. I'm not really feeling it just yet for any of the songs so far used in this show.

It sure is hitting all the beats ... funny enough except for the music for me. Like, Wake Up Girls had Tachiagare and 7 Girls War by this point which were just like holy cow awesome, and IM@S is just a treasure trove of hits. I'm not really feeling it just yet for any of the songs so far used in this show.

A-Rise songs > Muse songs

I wonder you guys think which show is more obvious, Rokka or Erased? just curious.

Definitely Erased lol, not even a contest.

Yeah the show has been sublime in terms of production and directing actually. The production values have been great, and the characters very entertaining to watch. Let's not forget the moments we all loved with Kayo too. But that's the problem right there for me. All of these moments I loved were during the Kayo arc. Since then, I haven't really felt any kind of emotion really, no more heartfelt scenes, nothing. Then we have the fact that the murderer was so obvious that I sorta hoped that it was a red herring with some kind of big twist behind it, since the show seemed to be pretty smart up to that point.

So yeah, show was great for the first 6-7 episodes. After that... Welp. Production and direction is still great but, damn if they didn't waste a great opportunity to make something real cool. With 2 episodes left, there is no way they can hamfist some kind of big twist either, so all that's left is him catching the killer, and returning back to the present (which hopefully fixed the timeline or not).

Cornbread78

Does anyone have a good YouTube link to the Fairy Tail theme music that they play in the background? Of all the crazy stuff they have on there for it, I can't find the regular version of just that, only the full opening..

I guess you only skimmed the post, because what it focuses on, providing copious examples, is how the visual presentation of rakugo in the opening episodes of the show characterizes the various performances and performers.

Please, where did the blog post talk about the rakugo act and performance.

Don't compare apples and oranges.

Szadek

Monogatari SS - Ep. 21
This episode sure was something:
monogatari20second20season20-202120-20large2013.jpg
So, Kaiki is back and he is now kind of a good guy.
This should be fun.

Erased - Ep. 10
The only way to make it even more obvious who the killer is if this was a live action series and the casted Anthony Hopkins as the killer.

Since you guys were talking about Fairy Tail music, I prefere the Tenrou Island versionof the main theme.
Also, finished the Sun Village arc.
It's was ok I guess, looks like it' mostly a se up mini arc for the Tartaros arc.
Flare's backstory was alright, but unessary.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I started watching Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju...

Holy shit, it's so good! I wasn't expecting to get into a show about Rakugo, japanese storytelling, but it's truly amazing. I'm around episode 9-10, but the acting, animation, and the plot are all truly captivating.

Everyone should watch this.

e_i

Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun episode 1 (English dub)

Being Chiyo is suffering. And why the hell do they keep the -kun suffix in the title, but don't use it in the dub?

Divine Gate Episode 10
tumblr_o3vqv1y1Kp1qbxqfpo1_540.jpg
tumblr_o3vqv1y1Kp1qbxqfpo2_540.jpg

Best Scandinavian God. At least they arent completly untouchable.

I loved the opening Akane and dad scene because whoever thought of that scene and having him punch and cause a chain of explosions of the AI Bots is a creative mastermind. It was the best.

Russ T

Banned
Erased 10

dddddddddddaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiiittttttttttttt

I mean it was so obvious. But I kept hoping. I liked him. ):

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 35

Question for people up-to-date with the manga: At the end of this episode, Killua's father admits that he let Killua go with the expectation that he would one day come back and inherit the Zoldyck family legacy, because Killua wouldn't find any other place where he would belong. Does the issue of Killua's relationship to his family ever come up again in a significant way?

Narag

Question for people up-to-date with the manga: At the end of this episode, Killua's father admits that he let Killua go with the expectation that he would one day come back and inherit the Zoldyck family legacy, because Killua wouldn't find any other place where he would belong. Does the issue of Killua's relationship to his family ever come up again in a significant way?

In the 2011 anime, Killua's role during the Election arc not only covers this but ties it up.

Szadek

Monogatari SS - Ep. 22
"I have never told a lie"
Sure....
Kaiki is doing his research, not much else to say.
The dialogue between him and Nadeko was pretty interesting.
Although, with Kaiki as the narrator it's hard to tell how much of this is actually true.

Digimon Adventure tri Episode 5 – Determination Part 1
CdR6ooyWoAQDyMS.jpg
CdR4vwkWEAEXIEp.jpg

Great episode as a whole. Im glad we got such extensive time in the hots bath. I do wish Taichi and Yamato would talk to each other. Though was kind of funny in the steam room scene they both were looking at each other out of one eye.

Please, where did the blog post talk about the rakugo act and performance.

Don't compare apples and oranges.

Uh, everywhere? This statement:

Rakugo Shinju opts to omit its storytellers’ makura, and in the place of them, it leverages visual information and dialogue in the form of its first performance to condition its modern viewers as to what constitutes good rakugo, offering a distinct in-show audio-visual grammar.

is elucidated in the following paragraph, where the writer picks apart the visual cues the anime gives to express the rakugo performance, such as

As his performance continues, Yakumo’s ability to manipulate time and space expands. He vacillates between his many personas, and the show employs an impossible horizontal pan to stress the figurative three-dimensional space that Yakumo’s seems to occupy despite his stationary position.

This sentence alone disproves your assertion that the rakugo performances are merely static.

In the 2011 anime, Killua's role during the Election arc not only covers this but ties it up.

Interesting. Thanks.

I'm interested in continuing the story after I finish the 1999 anime, but I'm not sure if I should go to the manga or the 2011 anime to do so. What I've heard of the pacing of the Chimera Ant arc in 2011 makes me wary to go there.

I'm interested in continuing the story after I finish the 1999 anime, but I'm not sure if I should go to the manga or the 2011 anime to do so. What I've heard of the pacing of the Chimera Ant arc in 2011 makes me wary to go there.

The pacing in the Chimera Ant arc in the 2011 version only really starts to get slow during the last third of the arc. Everything before that is fine, and you'll know when things slow down.

I'd say that it's worth it though, as there are several extremley well made episodes in that arc. But I won't blame you if you decide to drop the show and just read the manga. It's what I did while the show was airing.

JulianImp

Eureka Seven #8-10
To whoever told me the next couple episodes would still be dull, I don't think things were bad at all since I finally got to know more about the team's past and their relationships got more fleshed out as well. Renton has been a nice MC so far, but Eureka still reminds me too much of Rei in terms of having little to no agency for the most part. Asking Renton how she should scold the little girl after she run away or not even reacting to him almost going for a kiss makes her feel really artificial. My issue with these kinds of characters is that they often get two possible routes for their character development: they either slowly learn human emotions in a faux defrosting ice queen scenario, or they're literal robots that are clumsy at feeling human emotion precisely because they aren't supposed to feel that kind of stuff (but they still do because the power of love trascends such petty hardware limitations).

Again, it was really weird that Eureka's children continued to be complete assholes into episode eight, but a couple minutes into it they stopped and were perfectly well-behaved and were put on a bus (plot relevance-wise) even up to episode ten. I don't like that they were insufferable brats at first, then became friends with Renton after he helped them out, then got back to annoying him for the lulz and are now back to being well-behaved...

Monogatari SS - Ep. 21
This episode sure was something:

So, Kaiki is back and he is now kind of a good guy.
This should be fun.

Welcome to Kaiki. Enjoy your stay.

Kaiki figures when?

Narag

The pacing in the Chimera Ant arc in the 2011 version only really starts to get slow during the last third of the arc. Everything before that is fine, and you'll know when things slow down.

I'd say that it's worth it though, as there are several extremley well made episodes in that arc. But I won't blame you if you decide to drop the show and just read the manga. It's what I did while the show was airing.

Yeah, the pacing issues are centered around a group of episodes more than the arc itself. It just comes at a bad time but your tolerance for it might vary given one could blow through those in a weekend just to get them out of the way. I think 124/125 of the 2011 series are a highlight you'd miss and 131 is like end of Death Note levels of cathartic too.

Yes. Illumi is still obsessed with Killua, but his father and grandfather decided that he would grow more if they broke him loose.

Aki-at

Lupin the Third (2015) - 21

So I was thinking that as the series progressed Zenigata got more and more slapstick (Much to my disappointment) but then
it was Lupin all along!

Then I was thinking how easily he
got caught and taped up but it was Fujiko all along!

An enjoyable episode with some nice twist and turns. Wish some of these secondary characters would repear more in Lupin media.

JulianImp

You're still on it, eh? :p

I'll take every chance I can to whine about it. I get that black Hanekawa and school swimsuit Nadeko sell more, but can't I just have a singe non-chibi Kaiki figure? I'd even settle for a chibi if it was a nendo since those are good quality, but I think the two chibi figures I've seen are both gacha prizes so their quality is downright awful. I still think Monogatari figures should come with an extra-flexible neck joint and head shape so that it'd be possible to re-enact the Shaft head tilt with them, though.

Besides, it isn't like I'm asking for an Umineko figure... Monogatari's fairly popular and got multiple figures for most of the main cast, so why can't we get a single halfway decent Kaiki one?

I will be asking my friend who's going to Japan soon to pick up a Monogatari figure for me (maybe a Kanbaru or Senjougahara) and possibly some BDs, because I really want to get my hands on the in-character audio commentary for the series. By the way, does anyone know if that feature's in all seasons or only in particular ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom