• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Am I the only one that isn't upset with Erased and the direction it has gone?

As in, in the last episode or more generally ?

Erased haven't lived up to its early episodes, 3rd one in particular but that was apparent for a while now. The last episode didn't bother me much, if anything, it was pretty well done and that ending could potentially lead to interesting and surprising things. I must say,people pining for more Kayo surprise me, the stuff with her grew more and more repetitive, there's only so many times I can see getting rescued/helped in bad spots scenes without feeling it's all artificially designed to provoke emotional response from me. There wasn't a whole lot to her character and the ending of her "arc" was bad, hilariously so at points.

Tuck

Am I the only one that isn't upset with Erased and the direction it has gone?

I'm still really enjoying it. I just wish they didn't make the teacher so obvious.

And no matter how I look at it, the best parts of the show are the interactions between the kids. The murder "mystery" was just a way to focus on that.

pbayne

Many of the outfit choices in the anime and even in some of the magazine scans are really questionable.

Questionable is putting it mildly lol. Takeru and Koshiro especially seem on a mission to dress more and more like a prat.

Digimon Tri 5-8

I wasn't too harsh on the first batch of these episodes, thinking "they're doing something different, let's see where it goes" but now fuck this. It takes a lot for me to hate something to this degree but ill go into it.

-Meiko feels like Mari from Eva rebuild. I look at her and think why is she even there? And why does she get so many scenes? She has next to no personality except she's the shy girl.(Although all the characters have been somewhat reduced). Surely the main selling point of this series should be the draw of seeing the old gang interact and play off each other, so why doesn't that happen. The two minutes of Joe and Mimi actually talking to one another about their problems was leagues better than anything with Meiko.

-Filler. There are so many pointless filler scenes. Who cares about the two undercover teacher/cops relationship? That dumb shit with Leomon "so kawai" c'mon. In fact you could have cut the entirety of episode 5 and nothing of value would have been lost. Mimi and Meiko shopping, more time wasted for nothing. School cafe, excuse for fanservice, more time wasted.

Plot-Is the overall plot so sparse that we need 40-50 minutes of the characters doing mundane school stuff. Like most of these scenes don't add any character development or foreshaow future plot points. They're just time wasters.

-Fanservice. Okay if it was just the bath scenes i wouldn't have minded. Ten or so minutes of a bit of male and female fanservice, fine. But no fuck the amount of ass shots of the girls and just Mimi's character in general can go f******.(I really really hate that Mimi's character seems to be trashy bimbo. She showed a bit more towards the end that was cool but still..).

-God help me if this stupid storyline between Taichi and Yamato keeps going. It wasn't even addressed or built on save for a 30 second scene that basically just confirmed "yep they're still fighting." Not only is it a rehash of the original Adventures but these guys have been best friends for what 5 years and yet they act like they're still 10 years old just because they disagree on something.

-Animation. Usually I don't rip on Toei because they are probably stretched thinner than most animation studios but boy does this show look bad at times. So many scenes that just aren't animated i.e the school cafe being the biggest offender.

-The villain reveal. Okay ill not rag that too much until they explain it but my giving out finger is ready.

So all in all I don't even know who this series is aimed at anymore. Old fans get bastardized versions of their favorite characters, but that doesn't matter because they don't even get enough screen time to care. And new fans must be utterly confused as to what the hells going on or bored out of their minds with how much filler bullshit they have to put up with.

Even if I wasn't a Digimon fan id still say this a bad show. OK rant over.

Line_HTX

Looks like Sabre got benched again on the day Johnny got released.

Please Tell Me, Galko-chan 10

LMAO, Charao's imagination about what Galko does after school.

The narrator's sound effects are more prevalent this episode.

Ojou! And she says Kuyashii in a carefree way after Otako's like don't get in this conversation please.

No lie, for a second I thought Charao's girlfriend was Otao because they both look so similar...

>_>

Sterok

Pandora 10

For once in her life, Bunny accomplished something. Possibly reporter too. I guess the Germatroids are still hanging out in the base? Interesting bit of self-reflection from Nene.

Cornbread78

I'm still really enjoying it. I just wish they didn't make the teacher so obvious.

And no matter how I look at it, the best parts of the show are the interactions between the kids. The murder "mystery" was just a way to focus on that.

This. I'm very much enjoying it for what it is and put no expectations on it ahead of time. It's much more enjoyable than most of the stuff that has aired recently.

Qurupeke

Digimon Adventure tri 8

Oh my god! This is really Digimon!
It has a dying Leomon scene!

Okay, we got some satisfying action. I can't believe that Gomamon survived through
Imperialdramon
though. I'm pretty sure that's around Omnimon's level... Still, all those DigiEvolutions and the Mega ones were pure hype. And the twist should bring a lot more meaningful progress to the next part.

Anyway, looking forward to the next part! It should focus on Takeru and, hopefully, Hikari , so I'm sure it will be awesome.

Line_HTX

This. I'm very much enjoying it for what it is and put no expectations on it ahead of time. It's much more enjoyable than most of the stuff that has aired recently.

There are problems with this show, no doubt. Even though the ending could be setup to be meh, I'm enjoying it only for what will Satoru do for his final Revival.

I like to keep expectations pretty tempered most of the time. I still like the show though.

phaze

The Devil is a Part-Timer 1-13 END
maoyw4snw.jpg
014659thsdt.jpg

^ Finally some real fantasy and not MMO shit.

This was a pretty neat surprise, came in not expecting much and ready to drop it at first opportunity but ended up really liking it. The only thing that bothered me at times was when it went for more serious tone, like with Emi's father, or Suzuno's issues, which clashed badly with the rest of the thoroughly comedic materiel. The action scenes surprised me with how well executed they were. Short sure but pretty impressive. The harem overtones were thankfully reined in and not annoying. If anything Chicho's infatuation was the source of some of best jokes. All in all, pretty good comedy, not on the level of SZS S1 or my other favourites but not far removed either.
---

--Rewatching early bits of Mouryo no Hako and it's pretty impressive how much foreshadowing for the future there is, even within the first episode.

Exalted

Gate S2 Episode 10

Thought this week would be the Paradrop Episode, but they delayed that to the last minute of the show. Next week should be really good, since we will see the glorious JSDF in action once again. I din't really like all this recent drama and conspiracy episodes, but at least all the Itami and his crew scenes were enjoyable.

Lexxism

Gate Episode 22

Zorzal will finally get his FREEDOM next week. I hope he will enjoy it. And oh, it was a really lame episode. I can't believe they wasted this one episode for this

Digimon Adventure Tri 02 - Episode 2-4

So. Many. Questions. At the end when that happened SHE did smile didn't she?! What. Also this whole face your darkness thing to achieve power reminded me way too much of Persona. Well I guess that was that. The battle was epic, but I'm not sure of how I feel about that ending.

Qurupeke

Imperialdramon is normally weaker than Omnimon

Hmm, still, it was fighting Gomamon, shouldn't it have been blasted to digits with the first hit? :p

Digimon Tri 5-8
-Filler.That dumb shit with Leomon "so kawai" c'mon.

-Animation. Usually I don't rip on Toei because they are probably stretched thinner than most animation studios but boy does this show look bad at times. So many scenes that just aren't animated i.e the school cafe being the biggest offender.

So all in all I don't even know who this series is aimed at anymore. Old fans get bastardized versions of their favorite characters, but that doesn't matter because they don't even get enough screen time to care. And new fans must be utterly confused as to what the hells going on or bored out of their minds with how much filler bullshit they have to put up with.

Even if I wasn't a Digimon fan id still say this a bad show. OK rant over.

Animation was the biggest offender for me, I don't really mind the rest that much. I counted quite a few scenes that were stills, and they could have been perfectly animated, like the cafe one you mentioned. It was really off putting. Even the final fight had its share of them. I didn't notice it that much on the first part. And this is also supposed to be a movie/OVA, it makes this even more ridiculous.

As for the "fillers", I can certainly see why you hated them, and as someone that was okay with them, I think I'm a bit too tolerant. I'm giving them a free pass for now, but I really hope (and thankfully this seems to be the case) that they'll stop and they'll focus on the actual plot more. I'm sure they can develop the characters and bring more interactions without resorting to such scenes that don't contribute to anything else.

Deadly

Digimon Tri 5-8
Takeru has become such a player who would have thought. The Takari and Koushimi tease is real.

Holy shit at that ending though. I'm glad there's character development but it works out abit strange due to the overall story.

As said, the story is so strange right now. As it is, tri works out so much better as a sequel to Adventure than 02.

GATE 22
Events are going so fast compared as to how things were described when I read them. Last few episodes should be really good.

Jex

So Jexhius had previously talked about the user interfaces in Yamato 2199 and how high quality they were and I wanted to discuss that point in reference to Fafner. The UIs in the original were nothing special and really nothing worth talking about.
[...]

Not only do these interfaces look better, they also serve to reinforce information given to the audience. Instead of having people say where an enemy is in position to the island, it's crystal clear to the audience due to the visual models. This continue with Exodus.

What's really blowing my mind is that the displays actually have correct English. Compare that to Gate that had jurnalism displayed on full blast. As far as I can tell, Fafner doesn't have a dedicated display design position, so I guess this work would go to whoever does the CG. The displays really help to give the show an extra visual 'oomph' and add to that whole scifi aspect.
Xebec must just have one really good UI guy.

Quasar

As in, in the last episode or more generally ?

Erased haven't lived up to its early episodes, 3rd one in particular but that was apparent for a while now. The last episode didn't bother me much, if anything, it was pretty well done and that ending could potentially lead to interesting and surprising things. I must say,people pining for more Kayo surprise me, the stuff with her grew more and more repetitive, there's only so many times I can see getting rescued/helped in bad spots scenes without feeling it's all artificially designed to provoke emotional response from me. There wasn't a whole lot to her character and the ending of her "arc" was bad, hilariously so at points.

Well...the mystery answer was disappointing but the only answer possible given the pieces. Otherwise though I'm still loving it. Probably still think 8 was my favourite episode.

That's right! There's even a pretty neat interview with him here: http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/118/

That is neat. I like learning about the effort that goes into the research and production of the monitor graphics and other 3D elements. I have to smile at this sentence:

In anime, the judgment that “the monitor graphics in this anime are cool” ranks alongside “the characters are cute” or “the mecha are cool.” I think it’s good that interests are going this way.

Jarmel

Banned
It must be this guy, Takeshi Aoki. He's credited as Director of Photography and Monitor Graphics/Works on both Yamato 2199 and Fafner Exodus.

That's right! There's even a pretty neat interview with him here: http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/118/

Well I guess that answers my question as to what exactly Monitor Graphics does. I ran across a few names earlier today but I wasn't sure if Monitor Graphics was a role like color correction, that's more on the backend. It is what it sounds like, they design the visuals for the monitors in-show.

After looking at numerous shots like this, I'm not surprised at all that some of the Yamato crew is working on this. That interview is a pretty good step-by-step analysis of his job.

John Blade

Man...been a while since I finish watching an anime show. Just now finish watching Watamote (too me much longer than expected). All I can say is I like Ep 11 a bit too much but we know why and also the ending of Ep 12 is WTF as never expect that expression from Tomoko at the end after the incident. Will post a better impression about it later but what a fun and frustrating show to watch depend on how much you're related to her.

Cornbread78

Dagashi ep.9
First we get a pooparty, then boob ice cream that you suck on, then it may explode in your face if you hold it in your hands too long. Pretty boring episode, but thise last few mins, lol.

Line_HTX

Dagashi ep.9
First we get a pooparty, then boob ice cream that you suck on, then it may explode in your face if you hold it in your hands too long. Pretty boring episode, but thise last few mins, lol.

Which one did you like this week, Dagashi or Konosuba?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ascheroth

Heavy Object - 22

That battle was insanely awesome. Watching Qwenthur analyse his enemies while trying to not get killed, using everythig to his advantage and coming up with plans on the fly is always entertaining as hell.

Interesting epilogue. OHOHO.

Cornbread78

Heavy Object ep.22
Quenthar you smart bastard. Somehow finds a way again to win the battle in dramatic fashion. Then, that twist at the end; OHHOHO, Quenthar really is a ladies man.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 10:

This show may legitimately become my ATOY, though it is too soon to make that a full declaration.

Durarara X2 33

That was underwhelming. I'm beginning to worry that the ending is going to feel rushed. Surely next episode is where shit really hits the fan.

Heavy Object Episode 22

5_20160312005508b24.jpg

Bwhahaha, Mikoto and Kuroko (seiyuus) together onscreen lol. I was genuinely surprised by this because I've forgotten about the twist lol. They were right about one thing, Qwenthur is a fan of irony- killing off Cityslicker in a blaze of his own hellfire.

Going forward, I'm PRETTY SURE nobody knows what's going to happen next, although judging by the dolls we'll be going be settling unfinished business with Team Ohoho.

Gate Episode 10

Next time on GATE

bgZPH7D.jpg

PARATROOPERS. Glorious Nippon STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL

This show is so much better when they stick with masturbating over how good military fighting is vs fantasy troops, instead of awkwardly pretending that Japan is the best nation ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom