• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are addressing the poits I wasn't making. Talking about smartphone generation.

I was addressing this post of yours:

The weak point of Rakugo are the Rakugo acts. There is no dedicated animation budget to show some sublety in the performances - if one wouldn't be forced to read the subtitles one could just close the eyes and listen to the VA and nothing of worth would be lost.

(As much I'm enjoying the show and consider it to be my AOTS, I wish I hadn't watched the first episode. It made and still makes too many things in the show obviously apparent and predictable. Every show that begins with a flash forward needs to die in the fiery pits of hell.

I don't understand this, and I dislike the use of "predictable" as a pejorative in the first place, as if the only value in a narrative is that it has twists we didn't anticipate. We have plenty of nonsensical stories in anime that rely on pulling out craziness from left field over and over as it is. The first episode of Rakugo Shinjuu may make the ultimate destination of this flashback apparent, but it hardly makes clear the life journey it took to get there, and certainly didn't flesh out Kiku and his generation to this rich extent. I don't see how the story would have benefited if "Sukeroku dies" had been kept secret. I enjoy seeing the resonances of earlier generations with the later generation we see in the first episode.

Jarmel

Banned
Fafner Exodus-9
cDQxERU.jpg

0jCk3Q9.jpg
oh fuck this legit good

tumblr_mlv3epfKxU1soryr4o1_500.gif

God Eater - Episode 11

This was an episode of God Eater. There were characters in the episode who said lines. There were flashbacks. There was blood. There was music. There are now only two more episodes remaining.

Those are all facts.

Sounds like you got hit by the Edge. I hope you're getting properly treated!

phaze

I don't understand this, and I dislike the use of "predictable" as a pejorative in the first place, as if the only value in a narrative is that it has twists we didn't anticipate.

Reductio ad absurdum. No, of course it's not the only important thing.

. The first episode of Rakugo Shinjuu may make the ultimate destination of this flashback apparent, but it hardly makes clear the life journey it took to get there, and certainly didn't flesh out Kiku and his generation to this rich extent.

Agreed. Which is why I'm not saying Rakugo is bad or anything. Just that it could have been better without the first episode.

Fafner Exodus-9

oh fuck this legit good

tumblr_mlv3epfKxU1soryr4o1_500.gif

Seeing your favourable reaction to the latter parts of the series almost makes me want to slog through the early bits. Especially since I like grimdark. Do those golden, boring things are still the primary enemies ?

Jarmel

Banned
Seeing your favourable reaction to the latter parts of the series almost makes me want to slog through the early bits. Especially since I like grimdark. Do those golden, boring things are still the primary enemies ?

Yea but they get a lot better. They're using long range weapons, anti-pilot tactics such as targeting cockpits or specifically inducing pain, and newer ones are taking over human mechs so the IFF locks are causing trouble. The initial Festum were pretty boring but the newer ones are actually fun to watch like when one of the Festum pulls out a flamethrower. There are more designs now too with the giants, the crab variants, the worms, aquatic versions, and the bipedal ones.

The upcoming episodes also look like there will be human vs human fights.

House of Five Leaves 1

I really like the character designs and character animation on display here, as expected from Kazuto Nakazawa. They have a unique flair. I can tell that the art director is the same as Yona of the Dawn's; there's a shared attention to detail in the presentation of low-tech structures and natural environs, and in the use of different shades of colors to create more vibrancy. I am not so sold on the color design - the sickly green for the flashback was a questionable choice - or the photography, which looks unpleasantly flat at times.

I confess I was disoriented at first; the opening of this episode doesn't do a good job of welcoming you into this world. Eventually I got into the swing of things about midway through the episode. I like how the kidnapping leader drew the ronin into his pace, and I appreciate the relaxed, low-key nature of the show as a whole. I'm interested in seeing where the series goes with fleshing out the character dynamics.

Jex

I don't know; I don't think GitS has ever had well staged action scenes quite like these, as well as a focus on giving all the characters on the team a reason to be there. For all you said on Twitter about how much you dislike this movie and Ubukata's writing, I think this is better than Solid Stage Society and Innocence. Maybe it's not thematically rich, but a solidly crafted thriller is better than people standing around quoting philosophy at each other.

To address your points in order.

1) I have mentioned that I thought the action was pretty good. I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that SAC had some fairly well done action sequences. However, I haven't seen the series in many years.

2) I will agree that there was a real attempt to give each member of the team distinct personality / fighting style / role. They were definitely more fleshed out than they've been in other incarnations but their characterisation is still extremely thin. I don't think any anime adaptation of this property has ever made me care about the team besides Batoh and Togusa.

3) Solid State Society was certainly a damn squib. I can't really decide if I prefer it's attempts at social commentary over the overt banality of this movie.

As for Innocence, that's a movie which I feel like I really need to rewatch at some point because I can barely remember it besides that terrible philosophy quote session and that cool brain-maze sequence.

Jarmel

Banned
1) I have mentioned that I thought the action was pretty good. I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that SAC had some fairly well done action sequences. However, I haven't seen the series in many years.

Yea I remember there being some good action sequences too in SAC. I don't remember exactly how well animated they were but it did have some good action bits.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Reductio ad absurdum. No, of course it's not the only important thing.

I don't see how it's important at all. If you've written a story whose impact is lost by knowing what happens, a story which is not worth rereading/rewatching, you have written an inferior story.

Agreed. Which is why I'm not saying Rakugo is bad or anything. Just that it could have been better without the first episode.

I just don't see how. The sense of inevitable tragedy lends the series added pathos.

Ghost in the Shell: New Movie

To address your points in order.

2) I will agree that there was a real attempt to give each member of the team distinct personality / fighting style / role. They were definitely more fleshed out than they've been in other incarnations but their characterisation is still extremely thin. I don't think any anime adaptation of this property has ever made me care about the team besides Batoh and Togusa.

Considering the movie strings together one large-scale action setpiece after another, it's good enough. Giving each member of the team a reason to be there allows for more involved and engaging action. It's like Sword of the Stranger in the sense that if you removed all the action bits and just left in the character moments it wouldn't hold up, but the film is successful at hitting the beats it needs to to motivate the action.

I view these films similarly to how I view, say, Enter the Dragon. In an era of poorly-shot, poorly-directed action which ends up a visual mess (e.g., Bourne), the clarity the new GitS film brings is a breath of fresh air.

As for Innocence, that's a movie which I feel like I really need to rewatch at some point because I can barely remember it besides that terrible philosophy quote session and that cool brain-maze sequence.

Innocence just makes me wish Kazunori Ito hadn't stopped writing for Oshii and gone off to do .hack. Oshii can still do atmosphere well, as the looping mansion sequence you mention shows, but when he writes his own films he ends up sabotaging himself.

pbayne

Man House of Five Leaves is so good. Up there with Sword of the Stranger for my favorite samurai anime, though they are on opposite ends of the spectrum content wise.

Rakugo 10

I like the progression of Kiku's performances. As he gets better they seem to have far more embellishments and stylistic touches.

Still 3 more episodes? So im guessing 2 to finish the past up and then 1 in the present to bookend the series. Ill probably check out the manga when its done cause im super interested to see where the story goes.

Rakugo 10

I like the progression of Kiku's performances. As he gets better they seem to have far more embellishments and stylistic touches.

Still 3 more episodes? So im guessing 2 to finish the past up and then 1 in the present to bookend the series. Ill probably check out the manga when its done cause im super interested to see where the story goes.

I hope you can read Japanese.

Just T

Assassination Classroom S2: Episode 10

This was a pretty good episode all around. Even had a sweet moment with Nagisa's mom. Though the beginning was unfortunate for Nagisa lol smh.

Dagashi Kashi: 9

Guess that ending was inevitable huh.

Jex

God Eater - Episode 11

This was an episode of God Eater. There were characters in the episode who said lines. There were flashbacks. There was blood. There was music. There are now only two more episodes remaining.

Those are all facts.

I need to know.

Have they finished eating God yet? What's taking so long?

Does anyone really hate Grimdark?

I hate the word, along with edgy and try-hard which seem to be the calling card of the mentally bereft when they can't formulate a legit opinion about something.

Also, Japan needs to step it's religious iconography appropriation up. We've seen enough Christian stuff. I want some fresh eyed youth to enter the cockpit of some giant robot and start it up to have "SHALOM" flash on the screen and the word EMET appear on it's forehead while shooting Star of David shaped blasts.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh speaking of names, so the new generation of Fafner pilots get these awesome Irish names for their mechs and you know what they do? They complain that the names are too hard to pronounce and get some generic Japanese gods instead.

God damn it.

I hate the word, along with edgy and try-hard which seem to be the calling card of the mentally bereft when they can't formulate a legit opinion about something.

Also, Japan needs to step it's religious iconography appropriation up. We've seen enough Christian stuff. I want some fresh eyed youth to enter the cockpit of some giant robot and start it up to have "SHALOM" flash on the screen and the word EMET appear on it's forehead while shooting Star of David shaped blasts.

Like there's a better way to describe Akame Ga Kill

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Daga Shikashi 9
Title drop by kokonotsu. I still like the joke and candy trivia, and they at least admit eating too much candy is not good for you (lol)

Luck & Logic Episode 10
CdW-e7eXEAQs2yL.jpg

Yes it finally happened. Im mixed on his outfit though though he seems to be shirtless some of the spikes and other things on it ruins the look :(

I think Another Logic Counter Agency is partially responsible for this, they should have done something to keep Olga mentally stable as anyone in his situation would have great self-esteem and acceptance issues.

Just T

Rakugo:10

Another great episode. The bedside scene, the chilling performance, and of course seeing Konatsu at the end, it was all just great.

She and Her Cat: Everything Flows: 2

Very sweet and relaxing episode.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.32-33
Episode 32 was finale for the Loke/
Leo the lion
arc, which worked as a bridge directly into the beginning of Erza's "Tower of Heaven" arc. Nintendoman said I'll probably really enjoy this arc, so I'm looking forward to it. Plus, it looks like we will get a ton of Erza backstory. The only problem is that the arc started off with yet another
kidnapping.
Like WTF..... (Dammit Shirayuki, what have you done to me!!!) Jellal is going to be a hated douchebag antagonist that I'm gonna hate, I can already tell.. Oh, also of note that Julia a.k.a Element #4/rain, who has been a Gray stalker since the Phantom arc, looks like
she will be joining Fairy Tail
This did lead to a hilarious entrance when she announced Gray was "inside Juvia" to Lucy... Dirty, but hilarious at the same time, lol. Let's see where this arc takes things, since it's time to get Erza info.

Bubuki Buranki Episode 10

I thought the mom would have died or something but then I forget that Azuma did say if she did then more would have fell upon the Earth. Im just glad we're finally at Treasure Island but that can only lead to disaster.

All the teenager romances lol.

I should probably continue watching this at some point. I stopped at ep.6 a long time ago and need to finish it up.
Ah My Goddess is a real slow burn. I love that show to death (first romcom I watched) but there's less progression than Nisekoi.

Also Viridi in Kid Icarus is totally Skuld in my headcanon

The Oh! My Goddess! anime series are pretty mediocre.
The manga was pretty enjoyable for all the interesting side characters and their stories.

If you read it for the Belldandy & Keichi romance then you are doing it wrong.

Sakamoto desu ga? PV. Too much swag. Can't handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc2JV9n741U&feature=youtu.be

Meh. I guess we'll see how the timing works out in full episodes.

Yeah, I'm talking about animations and also used terms performances and acts for a reason, which are done with limited animations in the Rakugo anime. You and the blog post are talking things which I didn't comment or even have a different opinion.

I'm still not sure what you're trying to say, so let's leave it here.

Future Card Buddyfight:100 (Hundred) Episode 48

Ikazuchi trying to become Bolt is a great plot development. I actually am glad we get to see him Buddyfight again. He doesnt appear to be in any material for Buddyfight DDD so I was worried the last we'd see of him is his inverse form and him being saved by Gao Mikado. In any case, now he gets to be the one to save Gao Mikado hopefully.

I love Ikazuchi Yamigedo buddy, its really cute'ish in its small form.

phaze

Blood-C: The Last Dark

Not enough blood.

And too much time spend on pointless characters, bizarre youth curfew plot, inane attempts at characterisation and anything else that wasn't Saya slashing things. (So I guess it was exactly like tv show proper huh.)

But uhhh, the opening sequence in the subway and the subsequent chase was really good. Like really. The movie generally looked very well with some nice backgrounds, detailed character models and animation. I guess that's kinda given since it's a movie but still. The final fight is unfortunately subpar compared to the show cause they went for the GoW spectacle boss fight (and 1 hit ko) instead of two people duking it out in close quarters. There is some extensive CG usage that gets obnoxious in spots but on the other hand it enables some great scenes featuring loads of camera and background movement, specially in the aforementioned, opening chase, so all in all I'd call it a +.

Really, it's more Blood-C with more funny twists, more incomprehensible villains but this time with an actual ending to the story.

Skii

I just finished Death Parade. Brilliant anime. It's very unique compared to the other animes I've watched (mainly romantic/shonen).

Has anyone got suggestions on the best winter anime? Might as well start one of those as I think I'm finished with last summer's animes.

I just finished Death Parade. Brilliant anime. It's very unique compared to the other animes I've watched (mainly romantic/shonen).

Has anyone got suggestions on the best winter anime? Might as well start one of those as I think I'm finished with last summer's animes.

The best anime currently airing is Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. Other anime from this season worth watching are She and Her Cat -Everything Flows-, Haikyuu S2, and Prince of Stride Alternative.

Cornbread78

Erased, Konosuba, Heavy Object, Grimgar, Dimension W, Gate.

Starts from very good to good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom