• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvitor

Digimon Adventure Tri 05-08

@Determination: I swear I see this word 8 to 10 times everyday now, goddamn.

Anyway, some highs and lows this arc. I enjoyed the digimon interactions and there was a nice Our War Game reference in the 1st episode, among other Adv1 references along the way. They rushed the digievolutions again, though. They could've shortened the hot springs subplot and used that time to properly introduce the new evos. Oh well. Still, I enjoyed it.

Meicomoon saying "Senpai" slayed me.

Exalted

Bubuki Buranki Episode 10

The last few episodes were surprisingly fun, and this episode was no exception. Great mecha fight in the first half, and some nice visuals in the second.
I really like the fights in this show, and those metallic sound effects it employs.

E5c0CS1.jpg

yCb0Sl0.jpg

Erased, Konosuba, Heavy Object, Grimgar, Dimension W, Gate.

Starts from very good to good.

Yeah this is nice list form this season for the average user.

Sölf

Heavy Object 22
Poor Havia, getting yelled at from all sides. :(
But a mercenary maid squad was too good to be true I guess. Only 2 more episodes! D:

GATE 22
Shit is about to get real next week. Prepare for slaughter!

Russ T

Banned
The best anime currently airing is Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. Other anime from this season worth watching are She and Her Cat -Everything Flows-, Haikyuu S2, and Prince of Stride Alternative.

Huh, you're still watching that?

I stopped after three episodes; it just fell kinda flat for me. Was kind of a disappointment, 'cause I was initially looking forward to it.

Cornbread78

Sölf;198221458 said:
Heavy Object 22
Poor Havia, getting yelled at from all sides. :(
But a mercenary maid squad was too good to be true I guess. Only 2 more episodes! D:

GATE 22
Shit is about to get real next week. Prepare for slaughter!

Hopefully, sales are good enough to get a 3rd season of Heavy Object because I'very heard there is more than enough source material for a note two cours.

And it about freakin time with Gate. Enough talking, time to break out the guns.

Sölf

Hopefully, sales are good enough to get a 3rd season of Heavy Object because I'very heard there is more than enough source material for a note two cours.

And it about freakin time with Gate. Enough talking, time to break out the guns.

Didn't someone say Heavy Object covered like 3 novels and there are currently 11?

Cornbread78

Sölf;198222076 said:
Didn't someone say Heavy Object covered like 3 novels and there are currently 11?

Yup, exactly! There is more than enough out there, but I'm guessing BD sales have to be good to continue adapting the source material into anime.

Skii

Actually, before I completely move on, does anyone recommend Gakkou Gurashi?

I've watched 2 episodes and although there's a bit of a twist in the first one, this anime is just sickeningly cute. It's just too much for me and I'm about to give it up. I heard it was good but I'm really struggling with it and the story hasn't really progressed at all.

pbayne

I've watched 2 episodes and although there's a bit of a twist in the first one, this anime is just sickeningly cute. It's just too much for me and I'm about to give it up. I heard it was good but I'm really struggling with it and the story hasn't really progressed at all.

Its a fun show but I wouldn't say go out of your way to watch it.

Tbh the twist would have been a million times better if they built it up to episode 10 or something.

Sölf

It definitly changes though. There is a stark contrast between the "sickeningly cute" and the reality. I thought it was okay, in restrospec not the best show of the season, but fun to watch.

It tends to alternate between adorable and bleak as the story progresses. I enjoyed it, personally, but the story doesn't really progress all the quickly until Ep. 7 or so and the characters aren't as strong as they could have been.

Cornbread78

The opinions of School Live varied so greatly by the end because of the presentation and the way it was done. Shit does get real at certain points along the way and may be worth it for the experience, but it is nothing amazing.

EDIT : we all pretty much said the same thing; that never happens, lol.

I tried watching the first two episodes of Prince of Stride twice and fell asleep both times. Show is not at all my cup of tea.

I was also disappointed and uninterested to try again when I heard the girl is basically shoved to the side and doesn't stride herself.

God Eater Episode 11
tumblr_o3xjexIIlK1uqrfrco2_500.gif

Commander Utsugi Lenka was epic and he was so happy all the time for it. Kind of liked the tone of the episode alot because of it and how friendly everyone was overall. Kota especially was friendly, and even the returned Alisa wasn't bad.

Really helped balance out those flashback scenes, Aisha :(

Praying really hard Lindow gets out of this, though Johannes continues to prove to not be trusted. We dont even know why he is doing what he is doing.

Ascheroth

Sölf;198222076 said:

Yup, exactly! There is more than enough out there, but I'm guessing BD sales have to be good to continue adapting the source material into anime.

Yeah, that was me.
Although it looks like novel 3 was completed with this episode and I have no idea what's coming next.
(I haven't read the novels, I just cross-referenced the episode names with the chapter titles).

Pokemon Sakuga MAD, aka the Masaaki Iwane and Aito Ohashi MAD.

Huh, you're still watching that?

I stopped after three episodes; it just fell kinda flat for me. Was kind of a disappointment, 'cause I was initially looking forward to it.

Yeah, I'm not sure what you were looking for but it's been satisfying me. Really strong music and sound direction, generally stylish direction, exciting races, a pretty good balance between drama and humor. It takes itself serious enough to be engaging without being so serious that it becomes dull or frustrating. Just a pleasant watch.

I tried watching the first two episodes of Prince of Stride twice and fell asleep both times. Show is not at all my cup of tea.

I was also disappointed and uninterested to try again when I heard the girl is basically shoved to the side and doesn't stride herself.

Sakurai doesn't run herself, but she is the Relationer for the team (which means giving the runners instructions during a race), and there's an ongoing subplot of her figuring out how to do her job and a bit of drama between her and her father.

JulianImp

The plot meanders about for way too long, and the big twist isn't actually leveraged all that well in later episodes IMO.

Then there's the fanservice with character designs that makes the girls look like grade schoolers. It was already weird when Miki first showed up in lingerie while pondering the implications of the situation she was in at the time, but I hated that the very same lingerie shot was recycled for two flashbacks (or more, I don't remember) and that we began getting crappy stuff such as a beach swimming pool episode and a couple more fanservicey shots. That kind of thing felt really out of place in a show that was mostly about the stark contrast between the moe moe kyun SoL stuff and the OMG zombie apocalypse parts.

The last few episodes were kind of good, but the show never managed to win me over after I got past the first episode twist. It's like the whole zombie trouble and psychological aspects of being trapped in such a situation aren't explored all that much, and most episodes are like "look at these girls doing fun stuff... and here's a scaaaary zombie scene to remind you they're in big trouble!".

Hopefully, sales are good enough to get a 3rd season of Heavy Object because I'very heard there is more than enough source material for a note two cours..

Sadly I don't think it's popular enough, but at the very least we have a solid adaptation.

Which is more than I can say for some series that got shafted... <_< >_>

Speaking of mecha, is Heavy Object any good? I know it's written by the Raildex guy, so I know at least the world building should be good, but how's the plot, writing, and characters?

If nothing else it's definitely one of the more original concept Mecha series, where the main character isn't a pilot of a super OP prototype machine with newtype powers, but instead has to use his wits to takeout giant robots.

Essentially Heavy Object is technically a Mecha anime the same way Metal Gear Solid is technically a Mecha game.

Writing is a bit shaky in the beginning but it eventually finds it's groove afterwards. The main characters are pretty likeable imo and their antics would grow on you. Also it's pretty rare to find a solid buddy cop relationship in these kinds of story, and this is one of the rare cases where the best friend character is a legit important protagonist lol.

Also, speaking from a LN reader's perspective, this is a very faithful adaptation. I would say it's 90% faithful.

Sterok

Aikatsu 175

So intense. Rin and Madoka can be a riot when they put their minds to it. Hinaki and Juri get to catch up with each other. Nono is a surprisingly good cook. Too bad she's stuck with Lucky Train yet again. At least that should be the last of it. Madoka > Nono > Rin? Should be Rin > Madoka > Nono. And Risa > Nono. Rin and Madoka will have more opportunities, so a good sign for them. More importantly, Juri continues to stomp the scrubs below her. Next up, time to see how Hinaki really compares to Juri. And Akari and Sumire will settle their unspoken rivalry once and for all.

Sakurai doesn't run herself, but she is the Relationer for the team (which means giving the runners instructions during a race), and there's an ongoing subplot of her figuring out how to do her job and a bit of drama between her and her father.

Oh that's interesting to note. To be fair it was my own expectations that they'd do something where a girl would evenly engage in a sport with the guys.

Essentially Heavy Object is technically a Mecha anime the same way Metal Gear Solid is technically a Mecha game.

Huh. That's...a good way to put it.

The only real charactar that's kinda odd in Prince of Stride is Fujiwara, he's just there to support Riku I guess.

Sakurai is as important as the rest, her character arc (which she does on her own compared to Heath's arc) is one of the main struggles advertised in the OP after all.

Yeah, fair enough. On paper it's got everything I should want, but it's just not working for me.

Was mostly just surprised anyone was still into it 'cause it seemed like people stopped talkign about it after a few episodes. (Me included, obviously!)

Like 5 people here are still watching it at this point (that I know of), I don't really post individual episode impressions though.

Russ T

Banned
Yeah, I'm not sure what you were looking for but it's been satisfying me. Really strong music and sound direction, generally stylish direction, exciting races, a pretty good balance between drama and humor. It takes itself serious enough to be engaging without being so serious that it becomes dull or frustrating. Just a pleasant watch.

Yeah, fair enough. On paper it's got everything I should want, but it's just not working for me.

Was mostly just surprised anyone was still into it 'cause it seemed like people stopped talkign about it after a few episodes. (Me included, obviously!)

Skii

Its a fun show but I wouldn't say go out of your way to watch it.

Tbh the twist would have been a million times better if they built it up to episode 10 or something.

Sölf;198222371 said:
It definitly changes though. There is a stark contrast between the "sickeningly cute" and the reality. I thought it was okay, in restrospec not the best show of the season, but fun to watch.

It tends to alternate between adorable and bleak as the story progresses. I enjoyed it, personally, but the story doesn't really progress all the quickly until Ep. 7 or so and the characters aren't as strong as they could have been.

The opinions of School Live varied so greatly by the end because of the presentation and the way it was done. Shit does get real at certain points along the way and may be worth it for the experience, but it is nothing amazing.

EDIT : we all pretty much said the same thing; that never happens, lol.

The plot meanders about for way too long, and the big twist isn't actually leveraged all that well in later episodes IMO.

Then there's the fanservice with character designs that makes the girls look like grade schoolers. It was already weird when Miki first showed up in lingerie while pondering the implications of the situation she was in at the time, but I hated that the very same lingerie shot was recycled for two flashbacks (or more, I don't remember) and that we began getting crappy stuff such as a beach swimming pool episode and a couple more fanservicey shots. That kind of thing felt really out of place in a show that was mostly about the stark contrast between the moe moe kyun SoL stuff and the OMG zombie apocalypse parts.

The last few episodes were kind of good, but the show never managed to win me over after I got past the first episode twist. It's like the whole zombie trouble and psychological aspects of being trapped in such a situation aren't explored all that much, and most episodes are like "look at these girls doing fun stuff... and here's a scaaaary zombie scene to remind you they're in big trouble!".

So the consensus is that it gets better but it's nothing to write home about. Disappointing but there's no point pushing through. Time to check out the new stuff.

Thanks for the help!

phaze

God Eater 10
simpsonlaughagskg.gif

Oh come on. They could have at least tried to get into the city with Lenka. I refuse to believe Fenrir would just turn away potential God Eater by refusing his non blood related family of 2 entry.

Looking at OP more carefully, the amount of deathflags Lindow has is unholy. RIP.

Exalted

God Eater Episode 11

Nice episode, we went back to the regular story this episode, but it had been such a long break, i can't remember everything about all the characters.

FTshlX1.jpg

e_i

Nurse Witch Komugi R episode 10

PUT MY FIST SO FAR UP YOUR BUTT IT MAKES YOU TEETH RATTLE!

Good lord, the shipping in this show is ridiculous. Tsukasa likes Yuta. Yuta ships Tsukasa with Kokona. The other girls ship Komugi x Tsukasa x Kokona. I'm pretty sure that Tsukasa and Yuta's fans ship them together (do they think that Tsukasa is a boy?). Does Yuta think Tsukasa is a boy? And then Komugi's little brother likes Kokona.

And then there is the teacher's students. They're something else. "Teacher, put me in a choke hold until I faint from pleasure."

Zaru

The best anime currently airing is Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. Other anime from this season worth watching are She and Her Cat -Everything Flows-, Haikyuu S2, and Prince of Stride Alternative.

I'm here to support Rakugo. Unexpectedly turned into my AotS.

m7mwXhHl.jpg

(that's a screenshot from a different show though)

So I think I'm going to take the plunge to get FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on BD or DVD before it expires this month and goes up in price a couple of hundred bucks. Is the BD good or should I stick to the DVD?

tuffy

So I think I'm going to take the plunge to get FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on BD or DVD before it expires this month and goes up in price a couple of hundred bucks. Is the BD good or should I stick to the DVD?
The BD is good. Unlike the older series, Brotherhood was animated in high definition.

Dynedom

Still not a fan of how Fafner: Exodus ended but I'd be lying if I said I'm not up for a third season. I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

I enjoyed the ending, but there definitely were issues in terms of the pacing that led up to it and a few hanging plot threads.

I wouldn't be against it if it ended there and left everything else up to imagination, but in terms of being open-ended for an implied sequel, Exodus was a lot more receptive to one than DA. Holding out hope for the May event to give some good announcements.

Rose of Versailles 14

I feel bad watching this knowing that most of the characters are going to die come 1789, but I don't know how far this covers historically or if it will portray the raw brutality of that era. I assume it eventually does get to the Revolution because people keep alluding to it and Robespierre is a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom