• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

RahXephon 1-2

75mM3rM.jpg
42knwut.jpg

That was... something. Thematically, it's very close to NGE and it even has other similarities too. It appears to dive deeper to the Christian imagery though, with some solemn, yet creepy, designs for the enemies. And the music really boosts the atmosphere, especially this monotonous chant. Story wise, I have no idea what's going on and what's supposed to be true in this. The girl is even more suspicious than all these people with blue blood. And I really love that this, for once, doesn't seem to involve kid pilots.

The only thing I didn't really like is the design of the main mecha. It reminds me a lot of a rabbit, it's somewhat ridiculous, and I'm sure they didn't go for that... It sure looks sacred and majestic but, still, I'm not a fan.

Jarmel

Banned
Fafner-Exodus (1-13)
You can't have despair without hope. That seems to be the running theme of Exodus up to this point. The second season of Fafner kicked off with a bang, covering the Hawaii invasion by the Festum. The Hawaii invasion ended up being a bloodbath because of both the new Festum models and the Neo-UN deciding to nuke the base. It's a good preview of the season in that it shows how complex everything is getting. Unlike the first season, it seems like almost all the major players are broken up into different factions with many having large scale goals. On top of that, there is a potential doomsday clock having over everybody's head. Unlike many sequels, Exodus feels very different than its predecessors even if similar events occur. For example, Tatsumiyajima Island's core takes on human form in both. However unlike Tsubaki who was aloof and friendly, Orihime is extremely cold and authoritative. Two similar events occurred but they are completely different due to the personalities of the participants. There's also less focus on Tatsumiyajima Island in particular as the show focuses on the world theater. As a result it definitely feels bigger and more theatrical than Dead Aggressor.
On the visuals side, I think I'm being a bit too anal. The background and setting shots look really gorgeous but it can have a processed feel to it at times. Sort of similar to Studio Easter's work although Exodus would compare pretty well to the higher end of Easter's work. The quality definitely reminds me of Yamato more so than Dead Aggressor or the rest of Xebec's shows. The storyboarding for the anime is good but in a very subtle way. There aren't many shots done on the storyboarding side that blow my dick off but there's a lot of camera angles and a general level of confidence to the work. The character designs look vastly better than previous entries in the franchise for a number of reasons. The first is that many of the characters are older and so the longer hair or glasses make them pop out a bit more. The other thing is that the level of animation is much higher than Dead Aggressor or Right of Left. While I still hate Hiraiface, it's much less distracting than earlier entries. There isn't much on the character animation side in that the characters all look 'nice' but not any sakuga moments. That's generally true of the show in general in that it's not a real showcase for 2D animation despite there being a few very quick highlights you might pick up here and there. It's all about the art direction as a whole. If there is a showcase of animation for the show, it's on the CGI side. The transition from 2D to Orange has served the show well. Again there's a few times where a movement might seem janky but it's largely high quality stuff and at no point was I wishing for this to be in 2D. Maybe because I've seen how bad it actually was in 2D. Anyway the fights are significantly more dynamic in setup, motion, and camerawork. The fights almost certainly wouldn't be this lively in 2D. I really wanted to show the orbital drop sequence as an example but that's better saved for when you're watching the actual show. So here's two other examples:

Oh and of course the user interfaces and monitor design work are gorgeous. There have been times when watching the show where I literally said out loud, "Oh you're just showing off." I honestly can't think of a TV show that has monitor design work of this quality. It's both aesthetically pleasing and informative at the same time. It's generally a very good looking show despite my pet peeves. As for the music, I'm enjoying many of the newer pieces, particularly over the older themes. There's a bit more variety to them than the past. I also loved the insert song in episode 9 by Angela.
If there is a word I would use to describe the scenario in Exodus, it would be powder-keg. On the writing side, there isn't anything particularly new, or fresh if you will, about the show but it does spend a surprising amount of time on the characters. I actually could see this being a frustrating show to watch on a weekly basis due to how slow the pacing could be. However in a marathon format, I think the slower periods work to break up the action and make the show feel less about the mechs and more about the situation as a whole. The show feels like it's heading towards Arthur Clarke's Childhood's End. The season's primary focus is on the Esperanto (I thought they were referring to esperanza which would be a Spanish name but I guess it's own thing?) and now the superhuman pilots. This ties into the 'bigger' element I mentioned earlier in that it looks like the human race is being forced to evolve, just like the Festum. In addition to that, the focus on India makes the world seem larger than in Dead Aggressor.
Something I thought was fairly clever on the writing side was the new Assimilation effects. Ubukata knew that the old threat of death or Assimilation wasn't particularly effective so he gets around it by adding in essentially body horror and these side effects that don't inherently threaten the pilot's life but makes their life off the battlefield hellish and gives them long term consequences. It's a way of keeping the threat that piloting the Fafners is bad while not having to go to the well of axing people off. Sort of like the difference between Madoka and Yuki Yuna.
The multiple factions component I'm finding genuinely enjoyable as there is a feeling of chaos to the plot. Everybody is essentially out to fuck each other over, even the Festum who were once one entity. Now it's just a big scramble except everybody is playing with larger guns. It's significantly more entertaining that the Festum are coming up with strategic plays and the battles are becoming something akin to chess. For example the Walker and the Island are both in a race to figure out the other side first. There's also the guerrilla tactics being used by the Festum in India. I'm also looking forward to the human vs human fights that are coming up. The ROE Alpha squad are talking like they're hot shit so I assume that's going to get messy. It should serve as a good test for Kazuki who hasn't really gone against human pilots and the one time he did, he lost. Of course humans love to backstab each other so I find the Neo-UN factions to be somewhat realistic.
Episode 9 was absolutely a peak for me hype-wise. They built up to it for most of the season and you finally get to see Kazuki and Soushi go ham. It's sorta like Kira appearing in Destiny. That insert song in the background too worked beautifully to just pump everything up.
I'll see whether the show sticks the landing but so far this season has been unquestionably solid. It doesn't come off as laughably grimdark nor as corny as the first season could be. The only thing that annoys me at times is Maya and that's more due to her VA than really the writing. There are some larger mysteries still at play in the show but I don't have a particular need to know right now. This is probably the best 'serious' mech show I've seen come out in the past five years. Yes, I know that bar is so low, it's below the London Underground.

Oh and this is how you know the show was made by Xebec staff:

Sterok

Komugi R 10

The rumor mill is a killer here. Teacher is the real winner this time. And now Sister's identity is at risk. Dun dun duuuun.

Mailbox

I've been having trouble with gaf since last night.
isitdown said gaf was under maintenance last night, but its still... not working right sometimes.

Its not just me, right?

Also, regarding the recent episode of Myrid Colours, I really didn't need an upfront shot of cat balls.

RahXephon 1-2

That was... something. Thematically, it's very close to NGE and it even has other similarities too. It appears to dive deeper to the Christian imagery though, with some solemn, yet creepy, designs for the enemies. And the music really boosts the atmosphere, especially this monotonous chant. Story wise, I have no idea what's going on and what's supposed to be true in this. The girl is even more suspicious than all these people with blue blood. And I really love that this, for once, doesn't seem to involve kid pilots.

The only thing I didn't really like is the design of the main mecha. It reminds me a lot of a rabbit, it's somewhat ridiculous, and I'm sure they didn't go for that... It sure looks sacred and majestic but, still, I'm not a fan.

All I know about this show is that Corvo hates it because it's apparently one big Evangelion rip-off.

There's actually a website that compares everything in this show to Evangelion side by side.

That might contain spoilers, so be warned.

Quasar

Tamayura Movie 3 - Another nice part of the final Tamayura story. Going to be sad when its over. Some nice story beats with both Maon and Potte as well as showing the strength of the friendship amongst the girls.. And of course getting to see some of the peripheral characters, such as Kanae and Sayomi. Especially Sayomi who I have always loved.

And of course it easily got me tearing up at the end. Anime does that so easily for me unlike basically every other medium. Not sure why.

World Trigger Episode 70

How do people think this is going to end when they are already introducing the next arc?

Good episode, I was tickled when Kazama was imagining Yuichi Jin taking orders from megane kun.

Hyuse eating with Yotaro was the best.
CdYYaeZUUAAYLQx.jpg

Majin Bone 46

Have they done it this time?
So far the show has been very reluctant to kill anyone. There was the one Nepos guy who was devoured by the Primordial Majin, but otherwise no non-Bone casualties I can recall. The moments where people were in danger of dying, Liebert is around to teleport them out at the last second, such as in the Melbourne lab attack and this episode's cutting up of buildings. If Klude and Stolz have actually been killed by Revolt, that'll be a significant heightening of the stakes as we enter the endgame.

pbayne

All I know about this show is that Corvo hates it because it's apparently one big Evangelion rip-off.

There's actually a website that compares everything in this show to Evangelion side by side.

That might contain spoilers, so be warned.

Damn I watched it and knew it was similar but not to that degree. I sort of hate Rahxephon too. It had a great OP though.

High Q 23

Its weird to see Hinata be so useless in a game. Tsuki, Daichi and Asashi are doing all the heavy lifting here for Karasuno.

Komugi 10

BAH GAWD! Sensei busting out the wrassling moves.

Please make Tsukasa and Yuto get together before the end. C'mon. Do it. Stop teasing it and do it.

Lol I forget what the point of the cards or even just being a magical girl is"was there ever one?). Hype for fourth girl next week.

ibyea

Banned
The best anime currently airing is Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. Other anime from this season worth watching are She and Her Cat -Everything Flows-, Haikyuu S2, and Prince of Stride Alternative.

Wait, what is the show I bolded about? I don't think I have heard of that one. It's not even in this season's OP!

Quasar

Wait, what is the show I bolded about? I don't think I have heard of that one. It's not even in this season's OP!

Its a short that just started. Its based on the Shinkai short film. Its about a cat and his owner, told from the cats POV.

I find it delightful.

Mandelbo

Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gautaman

lgIQQFI.jpg

And there were Darth Vader, Octopus-Turtles, Terminator and The Pope as well.

Truly an eye-opening experience - an absolute masterpiece on every level. I cried so much when
blue hair man
got
killed
by a
butt
! And who could forget that magical moment when
phoenix wright
pressed some
butts
onto a
butt imprint
to find out whose
butt matched it
?

Just magical. 10/10.

Szadek

Monogatari SS - Ep. 26
Kaiki, not the hero we deserved, but the hero we needed
and then he died, I guess.

Alright, time to look back at this season:
- it made 2 great characters, Hanekawa and Shinobu even better.
- it took 2 characters that very few people liked and made them amazing
- it killed the one of the best characters and killed her.
Needless to say, it still looks amazing.It's also much better paced than nise was.

A 10/10 seems appropriate here.

John Blade

RahXephon 1-2

Welp...get ready for an interesting ride from this show as I was interested of how the story of the entire show take me to the end. It does have a bit of evangelion feel but don't let that stop you from watching it. Do hope you like it or at best entertain from it as the show have quite a bit of dialogue from the characters which you need to follow.

Non Non Biyori 6

Does Hotaru spend all her free time making Komari dolls? It's a shame these moments of otaku humor have to show up, because otherwise I really like how the show portrays the experience of hanging out and the atmosphere of rural life.

These environmental shots are really nice. The fields in sunset in particular gives off a sensation of peace and quiet contentment.

GATE 22

This was an episode of preparations. It was much better than what we got in the past few episodes, but the real deal should only start next week.

Mailbox

Non Non Biyori 6

Does Hotaru spend all her free time making Komari dolls? It's a shame these moments of otaku humor have to show up, because otherwise I really like how the show portrays the experience of hanging out and the atmosphere of rural life.

These environmental shots are really nice. The fields in sunset in particular gives off a sensation of peace and quiet contentment.

Non non biyori repeat is pretty much all that. I recommend you watching it after you're done the first season

Brave Beats Episode 20
CdZBH3XWoAIIKIH.jpg
CdZBHrVW0AAO_3J.jpg

Maito could have got in the poolside fun too.

but it finally happened. I thought we would avoid the obvious but it happened, that is, Maito = Choreo. And he had to be all mean and nasty about it, poor Breakin

Haikyuu!! S2 23

Holy crap seeing Hinata getting cut off for the past two episodes has been suffering. But damn if it wasn't worth it just to see the new move right at the end. Outside of that I liked how they made Kyotani a little bit more likeable, by showing just what is going on through his head. He has a great team on his side, and he got whipped up into proper shape. But could it be too little too late now? Sure hope so. Want to see Karasuno getting their revenge.

Mailbox

Ah! My Goddess Flights of fancy 1-4

Screw it, i decided to just jump into the sequel :p

Its good so far. I like the first 3 episodes and their return to being more like the first 8 in the original season. Episode 4 is a bit more off the wall but still good.

This is the second set of anime anime testicles I've seen today though...
:/

Jarmel

Banned
Nice writeup, hope you have fun with the second cour. How did you feel about the split focus between the new and returning cast?

I enjoy it. It gives a generational feeling to the show that most mech shows lack. There are shows that try having a new cast and saying that they're the 'new' generation but it feels artificially forced most of the time like with Shinn in Destiny or the Gundam Build Try crew.

The early parts of Fafner S1 have been such a struggle for me to get through that I'm losing the will to continue with it.

Yea I know. It's sad I have to put such a strong caveat however it does get better around the end of the first cour. I wouldn't necessarily say good but better.

Edit: Now that I think about it, you could probably skip most of the first cour and you wouldn't lose much.

GOD EATER 11

More God Eaters coming. And look who's back with a brand new resolve. Anyway I found it cool how they integrated the bullet fusion from the game as something that is part of this world also, with Sakuya explaining it to Kota. As for everything else happening, I honestly can't tell where things are going to go. Plot is totally different from the game, which I like.

Digimon tri 5-8

Evolutions feeling weird was the only part I didn't like but otherwise I enjoyed it better than the first 4 episodes. I really enjoy the characterization this time around and the slice of life stuff they have been adding in.

e_i

Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun episode 2-3

Chiyo's friend is something else. Also, we get a "prince" who gets her ass kicked by her senpai on a regular basis. I can't believe that's Monica Rial doing the voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom