• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunter X Hunter (1999) 39

EZfwoc9.jpg

ZA6kPNh.jpg

I love that the animators are just going to town with all the female Arena employees.

Jarmel

Banned
Zootopia-

A good film until the final act where it becomes a fucking great film.

Easily the best Disney Animation film since the Renaissance.

JulianImp

Yup. Hotaru is a lot less anime in S2.

But there's no Gu in it. That's just not right.

Sorry for being hung up about a one-trick raccoon, but I liked it too much for my own good. The cameo during S1E4 was good enough for me, and I really hoped to see it again in S2.

I also liked how S2's full OP and ED both have a couple cameos of the first season's lyrics.

Seo da best

More like Sawashiro da best.

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 41

I have to say, Gon vs. Hisoka ended up being something of a letdown. Sure, it's well-animated, but the episode as a whole lacked the directorial flair this show has at its best. The past couple episodes were more engaging, despite less important events going on. With Gon returning Hisoka's exam badge to him being an important goal he set for himself, there needed to be a greater sense of accomplishment when he finally reached it. Instead it felt perfunctory.

Jarmel

Banned
Zootopia-Bit lengthier impressions

This was a movie that showed the most creativity I've seen from Disney in a long time. The world building and setting is phenomenal from the different ecosystems in Zootopia to things like how bathrooms or door entrances are designed. Tthe idea of all of these animals living in one city sounds insane but they make it believable and have a lot of fun with it. How cool is it that you have a desert, rainforest, and ice caps all in one city?

As I'm sure everybody knows, the film is largely about racism and stereotypes. That's obviously nothing new but what impressed me was some stuff in the third act in which it talked about how
minorities can be just as racist too
. I can't ever remember the last time a film brought that point up, especially a kid's film. On that note, a very high percentage of the jokes in the film are oriented around adults. How many kids are going to get a Breaking Bad reference? The tone at times too surprised me in how dark the material got.

On the animation side, it was fine although I liked Hopp's animations where she would stamp her feet when annoyed. I wish this was done in 2D but we all know that era is dead and buried. I do have some issues with the movie like the pop song coming across as forced but it really is a great film.

But there's no Gu in it. That's just not right.

Sorry for being hung up about a one-trick raccoon, but I liked it too much for my own good. The cameo during S1E4 was good enough for me, and I really hoped to see it again in S2.

I also liked how S2's full OP and ED both have a couple cameos of the first season's lyrics.

I completely forgot that Gu wasnt on the second season. I'm sure he was there at least once. Had to be.

I was happy they included more Hikage scenes in S2. Hikage and Natsumi are such a great comedic duo. Konomi is pretty cool too.

Clov

Just got around to watching the new Rakugo episode. Kiku's performance in it was phenomenal. Fantastic voice acting right there. Definitely the anime of the season for me!

Mailbox

So today is Dengeki Bunko Spring 2016 Festival, and the last stage just ended at about 20 minute ago.

Index and/or Railgun s3 is not happening, move on guys.

I kinda assumed that since the director had an AMA and said that everyone wanted to work on a season 3 but that it wasn't happening yet.

Theres just enough material (iirc) to make one more season of index, too. :S

zulux21

I tried watching the first two episodes of Prince of Stride twice and fell asleep both times. Show is not at all my cup of tea.

I was also disappointed and uninterested to try again when I heard the girl is basically shoved to the side and doesn't stride herself.

It's a paint by numbers sports series, you really aren't missing much by not watching it lol.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that it's either not gonna get an ending or is going to be announced right before the last episode airs that it is actually a split curr series.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I do have some issues with the movie like the pop song coming across as forced but it really is a great film.

What's one pop song for a Disney flick?

Frozen had a musical number every 15 fucking minutes and then, if that wasn't enough, the internet perpetuated them for another few months!

zootopia-concept-art.jpg

cry.gif
RIP 2D
cry.gif

You know I wouldn't mind if someone made an anime or cartoon or whatever that's just all cels and basic colors overlaid on concept backgrounds. I always liked the rough, pencil-y, block-y look.

Line_HTX

Dimension W 03

Poor Mira got her head detatched.

This is a good break from the hectic pace it was going on. I don't want the plot to go at crazy speeds without taking a breather, and this episode was appropriately timed for a character focus without having anything important happening.

Quasar

I kinda assumed that since the director had an AMA and said that everyone wanted to work on a season 3 but that it wasn't happening yet.

Theres just enough material (iirc) to make one more season of index, too. :S

Just enough? theres like 40 books. How how far through did the show end?

Guess that means I need to start reading.

TUSR

Banned
we are so blessed

another SAO game coming, and a movie

hopefully they announce S3 soon after the movie releases, or even sooner would be better!

Mailbox

I'm probably lowballing the amount left.
There seems to be 22 volumes with the first 2 seasons using 13 of them.

I was assuming only 1 more season because there are only 6 more arcs left, but I guess those arcs are kinda long so idk.

zulux21

we are so blessed

another SAO game coming, and a movie

hopefully they announce S3 soon after the movie releases, or even sooner would be better!

given the movie is all original content I imagine it will merely end with a trailer for season 3 of the TV show likely airing in 2017 (likely the same for the irregular at magic high)

I was assuming only 1 more season because there are only 6 more arcs left, but I guess those arcs are kinda long so idk.

there is 22 volumes to the first index series of books, there is another 13 volumes to the index 2 novel series. and 3 spin off books. I'm not sure what the animes covered though.

given the movie is all original content I imagine it will merely end with a trailer for season 3 of the TV show likely airing in 2017 (likely the same for the irregular at magic high)

there is 22 volumes to the first index series of books, there is another 13 volumes to the index 2 novel series. and 3 spin off books. I'm not sure what the animes covered though.

Index II ended at SS1 (Side story) but is essentially Vol 13.5

There are 9 more volumes to finish the rest of the first series, not including more Side stories.

That's more than enough to make a three cours season (hint hint DRRR)

The second series is currently at 15 volumes.

Mailbox

From what I can gather,
Its covered 13 Volumes of the first series, and 1 spinoff volume

Line_HTX

The timing of the SAO movie news coinciding with Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Kirito) winning the Seiyu's Best Actor award...

Somewhere Kiritobread is laughing all the way to the bank.

zulux21

Index II ended at SS1 (Side story) but is essentially Vol 13.5

There are 9 more volumes to finish the rest of the first series, not including more Side stories.

That's more than enough to make a three cours season (hint hint DRRR)

The second series is currently at 15 volumes.

ah... I should watch the second seasons of index and railgun...
that might summon a new series :p

either way I started snagging the light novels.

Mailbox

ah... I should watch the second seasons of index and railgun...
that might summon a new series :p

either way I started snagging the light novels.

The second season of railgun is a LOT better than the first season (mostly because it give a longer and better done sisters arc)

The second season of Index is pretty on par with the first, though I feel like the arcs have more gravity and better variety to them.

Quasar

Summer Wars - Due to it being on a local tv networks catchup service I got to finally see this. Really not what I expected at all. Pretty decent I must say.

Utablablamono 23

The scene when they wanted to torch the mansion was pretty good, Kuon also unlocked her persona I think? All those blue flames man, fortunately we got to see the arrows getting burned from four different angels.

How can one bird keep being so based?

8wxgj1O.jpg

Godzilla fight next week

Gundam IBO 23

#StopMerribitBullying2016

Great episode once again, I'm loving this show.

-Minsc-

Gundam IBO - 22

Not much else I can say about IBO that hasn't been said. It's a show I've had consistent enjoyment throughout.

---

As a Canadian I do find it amusing they are heading to Edmonton. Until I saw the map I wasn't sure if it was the same one.

pbayne

Gundam IBO 23

Sick fights this week. Great lead in to the ED as well with Mika eating the chocolate. Thought that was a pretty clever transition.

Is Carta the stupidest character you've ever seen? Like I feel sorry for her at how bad she is at her job. Although Gjllarhorn on the whole seem pretty dense that they can't spot McGillis clearly manipulating them.

One thing that irked me was the writing for the adviser lady. She's watched these kids kill countless people but only now is she taking exception to it? Dunno felt that came from nowhere.

Gundam IBO - 22

Not much else I can say about IBO that hasn't been said. It's a show I've had consistent enjoyment throughout.

---

As a Canadian I do find it amusing they are heading to Edmonton. Until I saw the map I wasn't sure if it was the same one.

Another Canadian *brofist*

Yeah I haven't seen today's episode yet, but when they mentioned Edmonton I couldn't help but grin. Even if I don't live there, the fact that it's still in my country made me happy. Can't think of any anime that showed Canada really.

Cornbread78

The timing of the SAO movie news coinciding with Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Kirito) winning the Seiyu's Best Actor award...

Somewhere Kiritobread is laughing all the way to the bank.

No need to laugh when it's something well deserved. You can't blame the VA's for LN writing.

Dynedom

Another Canadian *brofist*

Yeah I haven't seen today's episode yet, but when they mentioned Edmonton I couldn't help but grin. Even if I don't live there, the fact that it's still in my country made me happy. Can't think of any anime that showed Canada really.

Macross had the Ontario region or something.

Re: IBO 23

I don't see
Shino or Lat surviving
next week's episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom