• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh. There's something I really like about the art for Majin Bone. It feels like his sister stepped out of a Yatterman episode. There's just a very old school style to the reactions and animations. Like the girl's frustrated puffed out cheeks face is drawn very differently than you see in anime today where there's an over-riding emphasis on cuteness, as opposed to them doing it humorously for this. It's sorta refreshing.

The original character designs are from Yusuke Murata.

Is this based on a card game or something?

It's based off a mobile card game.

Non Non Biyori 7

The stars of this episode: Renge,

D4Z1EG6.jpg

backgrounds,

and an evil rabbit.

pbayne

Skip Beat 9-10

iGs5cEC.png

XeT2stY.png

UCKz3nq.png

CQhqDvF.gif

Damn you zulux21, you didn't tell me there would be emotions.

Fun way to resolve Maria's problem but jeez it was very relatable and heart-breaking growing emotionally distant from her father.

And yeah Kyoko's relationship with her mother must be a lot worse than I thought. Its shocking to see her with such a distressed expression(even when breaking up with Sho she was mostly angry rather than sad). Also I guess no prizes for guessing Corn is
Ren

And hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Love that Kyoko goes full on evil at the possibility of sabotaging Sho. There's something about the comedic timing of this show and all the little visual touches that gets me every time. Just constant jokes or reactions that always hit the mark

Cornbread78

Dimension W ep.10
Yeah, as everyone has mentioned, this show just keeps getting better as it goes. Mira was awesome (can you do that again? LOL), Kyoma was awesome and the story is pretty interesting. Also, that Prince scene at the end, lol. Lil' shit!

Sterok

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans 23

Oof Ein. Not a pretty sight. Poor Merribit is the only one trying to stop these kids from becoming future monsters. McGillis doesn't seem to have much problem screwing around his friends. Gaelio does seem to be the most pure character in the show. At first I thought Mika's preemptive attack was funny. Then I realized that was basically a truce and yeah, not cool. Carta is probably alive, though if she is she's going the cyborg route.

Jarmel

Banned
Erased has the subtlety of a sledgehammer, the nuance of someone pissing in your face, and the execution of someone trying to chop your head off with a 30 year old blunt axe.

I knew where they were going with the killer but holy shit is the reveal garbage on so many levels. This is the Ito that directed Sword Art Online on full display. He finally took off the mask.

Berserk: Egg of the king
You know, the cg was fine.

CG for that one looked fine imho. Their biggest issue is the weird frames per second they decided to go with because it looked more animated or some shit. It's stupid, make it look smooth you fuck.

I might end up turning motion smoother on my tv for this movie lol

Erigu

Apparently Tokyopop is making a comeback and decided to post Angel's Egg to their YT channel. This would be good so it could get more exposure but the video might be a fansubbed version they threw up there and I have no idea if they have any sort of licensing rights so it's all murky as hell.
Wouldn't exactly be a first, for that particular title...

kewlmyc

Erased has the subtlety of a sledgehammer, the nuance of someone pissing in your face, and the execution of someone trying to chop your head off with a 30 year old blunt axe.

I knew where they were going with the killer but holy shit is the reveal garbage on so many levels. This is the Ito that directed Sword Art Online on full display. He finally took off the mask.

To be fair, the manga reveal is just as bad. It's accurate to the source material.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not even just mad about episode 10, 9 also pissed me off. No, you don't get to just
throw in a quick scene about the mother being abused as a way of trying to portray her in a sympathetic light. How about cutting some of these scenes of the mother beating up Kayo to instead flesh out the initial domestic situation? That's the most half-assed way to do character development and they didn't even spend more time on it than half a second. So why show it? It's clear they're not going for the subtlety route so why even bother?

If you're going for the notion that everybody has reasons for why they are who they are, actually commit time to it other than three stills.

Ascheroth

The killer reveal gave me a pretty good laugh.
I probably would have laughed even more if hadn't read the manga after episode 9.
So I guess I'd say Erased has been a pretty good comedy show lately!

To be fair, the manga reveal is just as bad. It's accurate to the source material.

The manga at least had the advantage that the identity of the killer wasn't shoved into your face at every possible moment. Although, it's kinda hard to accuratly judge how good the manga handled this for me, since I read it only after watching episode 9.

I'm not even just mad about episode 10, 9 also pissed me off. No, you don't get to just
throw in a quick scene about the mother being abused as a way of trying to portray her in a sympathetic light. How about cutting some of these scenes of the mother beating up Kayo to instead flesh out the initial domestic situation? That's the most half-assed way to do character development and they didn't even spend more time on it than half a second. So why show it? It's clear they're not going for the subtlety route so why even bother?

If you're going for the notion that everybody has reasons for why they are who they are, actually commit time to it other than three stills.

IT WAS ME SATORU, DIO

Jarmel

Banned
The identity of the killer was obvious by a basic process of elimination so whatever on that front but the reveal is so unbelievably lackluster. You have the guy rambling on about his plan in some weird exposition dump and instead of Satoru trying to figure out how to get out of the car, he
lets the killer drive him all the way to the middle of the woods
. Hell there wasn't even much insight into the killer as a person.

Is Satoru really supposed to be almost thirty?

kewlmyc

The killer reveal gave me a pretty good laugh.
I probably would have laughed even more if hadn't read the manga after episode 9.
So I guess I'd say Erased has been a pretty good comedy show lately!

The manga at least had the advantage that the identity of the killer wasn't shoved into your face at every possible moment. Although, it's kinda hard to accuratly judge how good the manga handled this for me, since I read it only after watching episode 9.

It was pretty obvious in the manga as well.
The series never really introduces any red herrings of who it could be, so you're left with the only dark haired adult that the mother would have known in the past that wouldn't have been an initial suspect.

Line_HTX

Now that we're nearing the end of Winter, I'd say that Wednesdays and Fridays were the best.

I need to get ahead on Dimension W soon so I can rewatch it again on Toonami.

Jarmel

Banned
I was at least expecting Satoru to put up more of a fight or try to talk the killer down. Something other than just listen in a car ride, that he knows is going to be his last. He acted how I would expect a ten year old to act.

Come back to watch Grimgar guys, it's been pretty ok so far.

I mean shit, if Erased quality keeps dipping Grimgar will be my AOTS.

They're past gobis now. They're fighting furries.

Qurupeke

Now that we're nearing the end of Winter, I'd say that Wednesdays and Fridays were the best.

I need to get ahead on Dimension W soon so I can rewatch it again on Toonami.

Looking at the Spring season chart, which may not be complete yet, Wednesdays will be lackluster this time. Thursday-Sunday are packed with shows though.

And Jojo Fridays are back, of course.

TUSR

Banned
"He acted how I would expect a ten year old to act."
he got caught up in it all
example: when he was leaving his friends earlier that day, is that how a 28 year old acts?

I'm not bothered by the killer's identity. Some people might be, and I can understand why.

My big problem is how Satoru doesn't feel all that active in the plot. We're near the end of the series and Satoru has done basically nothing to actively stop the killer. He merely delayed the killer.

Line_HTX

I guess we've progressed to this point, so I'll ask. What is the bigger problem here, is it the SAO director or is it the manga in how it presented these events?

pbayne

The identity of the killer was obvious by a basic process of elimination so whatever on that front but the reveal is so unbelievably lackluster. You have the guy rambling on about his plan in some weird exposition dump and instead of Satoru trying to figure out how to get out of the car, he
lets the killer drive him all the way to the middle of the woods
. Hell there wasn't even much insight into the killer as a person.

Is Satoru really supposed to be almost thirty?

Apparently their saving the killer's motives for a spin-off side manga lol.

Id agree on Satoru being a bit of a terrible protagonist. Like he's LN protagonist teir of his personality is basically he's a nice guy who's a bit dense nothing else. There's not much to him at all. Which is a shame since episode one actually set up tons of interesting stuff about him like he has creative pressures as a failed manga artist, he's distant from his mother, leads an unfufiling life etc. They just never really expanded on those to any great amount.

I guess we've progressed to this point, so I'll ask. What is the bigger problem here, is it the SAO director or is it the manga in how it presented these events?

apparently the manga didn't make it AS obvious and some of these scenes of shoving it in your face are anime original, so apparently the direction both brought strengths to the source material and brought an aspect that is shitting it up for many.

Jarmel

Banned
Satoru was more focused on stopping specific murders than going to the root and stopping the killer.

Which doesn't make sense when you know the guy is going to kill again. After Kayo had been saved, he should have shifted to trying to identify the killer. As a result, the conclusion comes about not due to Satoru investigating and therefore killer has to pretty dump all the information to both the audience and Satoru, in an extraordinarily clumsy manner.

"He acted how I would expect a ten year old to act."
he got caught up in it all
example: when he was leaving his friends earlier that day, is that how a 28 year old acts?

I imagine that would be for your cover. You have to act the part to an extent.

Qurupeke

I was at least expecting Satoru to put up more of a fight or try to talk the killer down. Something other than just listen in a car ride, that he knows is going to be his last. He acted how I would expect a ten year old to act.

But what could he do? Attack him or try to jump off the car? He has the body of a child, in both cases he would get overpowered, baring the fact he was on a diminished position because he was trapped on his seat. And in any case, I believe Satoru was mostly shocked about the killer's identity, because it was someone that he trusted a lot, it's not that he wasn't able to figure his identity but that it seemed impossible to him. The show may had a ton of missteps but I think it did a good job, on the later few episodes, on establishing
Yashiro and Satoru's "fatherly" bonds

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 42

I don't like the introduction of Nen and aura to Hunter X Hunter. It doesn't add anything of worth. All it does it set up a complicated system with a bunch of jargon that you have to try to learn and remember in order to follow what's going on in fights, thus making them less immediate. The fight between Gon and Hisoka would have been much more interesting if they weren't spending half their time standing around babbling about Enhancers, Gyo, In, and whatever.

Jarmel

Banned
But what could he do? Attack him or try to jump off the car? He has the body of a child, in both cases he would get overpowered, baring the fact he was on a diminished position because he was trapped on his seat. And in any case, I believe Satoru was mostly shocked about the killer's identity, because it was someone that he trusted a lot, it's not that he wasn't able to figure his identity but that it seemed impossible to him. The show may had a ton of missteps but I think it did a good job, on the later few episodes, on establishing
Yashiro and Satoru's "fatherly" bonds

Try something? If you knew you were going off to your death, I imagine you would try anything like crash the car or try to jump out the moving car. Hell even try talking the guy down. He literally does nothing except just stare down and point out "Oh fuck it was so obvious all along".

Lautaro

Ok, this was a good day.

Gundam, Schwarzesmarken and Dimension W all had good battles and intense moments. I gotta say, at least for the two mecha series it seems they are going with the "good guys gone bad" theme which I'm enjoying greatly, yes, bring more destruction! crush your enemies!

Erased- 9-10

This is dogshit. Satoru has to be one of the stupidest twenty-something year olds in existence.

That's another of the problem of the series. The whole premise is "adult in a kid's body", so one of his strong points should be the emotional stability, social manipulation, wisdom and experience of an adult that no one expects. But now that I'm remembering scenes... I think most of his plans or the way he acts are what one would expect from what we see: a kid that with help of another bunch of kids try to save another kid hiding her or following her.
The author could have done lots of nifty tricks and scenes using that element of Satoru being really an adult, but he basically behaves like the typical baka anime protag and embarrsing himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom