• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Rosario + Vampire S2 ep.10-END
Finally finished up the last 4 episodes that continue the standard harem hijinks and comedy. Luckily, the comedy saved the series because as s romance it sucked and as a harem it was ok. Thankfully, the girls were not all depressed and shit like Shuffle and they just fought with one another over our MC. And yes, there
is no "winner" since he tells them he Ned's more time to decide
even though there is clearly only 1 real love interest, wtf...

Do you like Inner Moka?

Quasar

Finally finished up the last 4 episodes that continue the standard harem hijinks and comedy. Luckily, the comedy saved the series because as s romance it sucked and as a harem it was ok. Thankfully, the girls were not all depressed and shit like Shuffle and they just fought with one another over our MC. And yes, there

Its weird. The whole show was about him having chosen early on but the others just not accepting it. Well aside from inner v outer. I liked it though and would have watched more. Which is why I jumped on the manga.

Sadly the manga takes a left turn into a horror fighting shonen thing. Though there at least the decision is made final.

Jarmel

Banned
Fafner Exodus-15
VFRz99F.jpg
Welp. Shit did indeed hit the fan and everybody got sprayed.

Chindogg

Yeah read the manga. The anime ending is god awful and the relationships take a better turn that feels a bit more complete.
Even if it's not what a lot of people want.

Its weird. The whole show was about him having chosen early on but the others just not accepting it. Well aside from inner v outer.

Sadly the manga takes a left turn into a horror fighting shonen thing. Though there at least the decision is made final.

Yeah final
as in he becomes a polygamist lol.

Nijiiro Days 10

Everything's finally coming together for the fellas. I hope the season ends with their pairings established.

Looks like Tokyopop threw up Angel's Egg on YouTube...except it was a bad fansub they seemingly just used. Then Crunchyroll retweeted that they put it up. Then Guillermo Del Toro retweeted it. And I don't know what else has happened, but its funny.

It's still up

CddIkmuW0AALPyL.jpg

lmao. It's a movie with like 20 lines of dialogue tops as well, how hard can it be? Extra fuckery in the description -

If you're expecting an action-packed anime with scantily-clad sex bunnies, don't click here.

Quasar

Yeah read the manga. The anime ending is god awful and the relationships take a better turn that feels a bit more complete.

Yeah final

I don't even remember that.

All I really remember is him being half vampire and inner moka becoming only moka and they cement their relationship

Andrew J.

Gundam IBO 23

This kind of reminded me of Aldnoah Zero, of all things. The aristocratic antagonists have spent so much time with formerly overwhelming technological advantages that their tactical sensibilities have devolved into those of the most long-winded chuunibyou.

Aki-at

Lupin the Third (2015) - 23/Finale Part 1

Man here I was thinking we were going to get an awesome 4 part finale but I find out it's only a two parter and Italy had another extra two episodes in the season :(

Really great episode though, it's been a patient build up to this but it was excellent with some lovely animation and the final background shot was fabulous (But then I'm a sucker for out there floating castles!)

Dimension W - 10

This series has hit another gear when they arrived on the Island, Mira was great (Can you do that again? lol) Kyoma was great (Affectionate one second and the toneless piece of junk the next haha) and the final
berserk mode was perfect, I enjoyed that walloping to the face.

Rakugo Gungrave Brotherhood - Episode 10

What I find most interesting about the backstory which has been slowly unveiled in the last few episodes is that it adds a bitter undercurrent of a cycle of regret and jealousy into the entire generational nature of the story. Even the master recognizes it, and he's not proud of it, but he couldn't help himself from continuing that cycle again. I dunno if the way the story here tells it is what the Rakugo culture is actually like in Japan, but if it is, then the dying art probably deserves to die.

Whether or not this series is true-to-life, that there are flawed people working in an artform doesn't necessarily mean the artform itself should disappear.

Chindogg

All I really remember is him being half vampire and inner moka becoming only moka and they cement their relationship

The prologue chapter has Moka's father training him and discussing that being a polygamist is hard and to learn from his mistakes.

Cornbread78

Yeah final

Nijiiro Days 10

Everything's finally coming together for the fellas. I hope the season ends with their pairings established.

Do you like Inner Moka?

Its weird. The whole show was about him having chosen early on but the others just not accepting it. Well aside from inner v outer. I liked it though and would have watched more. Which is why I jumped on the manga.

Lol, inner Moka would have been fine. She at least tried thete at the end. I'm not sure why they chose to end it there, bit oh well. Such is the harem life. I probably will never read the manga, so I'll be forever stuck with
decisionless Tsuk.
-------------------

Oh and this Heaven's Tower arc of Fairy Tail is pretty damn good as well. Erza backstory man, damn..

duckroll

Whether or not this series is true-to-life, that there are flawed people working in an artform doesn't necessarily mean the artform itself should disappear.

If said artform is dominated and controlled by people who are wilfully contributing to its decline though, then the artform as it is should be allowed to die, if only so it can be reborn in a state which is more open to allowing those who want to keep some form of it alive to do so on their own terms. Tradition is overrated when it holds back progress. People are not beholden to art and culture, art and culture are simply reflections of society as it is.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wait are you guys talking about rakugo or the modern anime industry?

So I occasionally see people saying the Yu Yu Hakusho dub has huge issues.

What's wrong with it? Is it like Funi's early dubs of Dragon Ball Z? Did they made big changes?

I always thought the voices were on point.

Mailbox

the industry should just evolve to where it wants to go. Just 20 minutes of an anime girl's butt on screen.

Idiocracy-no-desu

You know... That's actually an interesting idea in a way.

Have the whole screen obstructed, only hints being lighting & audio, and you have to piece together the story.

I... I actually wanna see how that would turn out.

If said artform is dominated and controlled by people who are wilfully contributing to its decline though, then the artform as it is should be allowed to die, if only so it can be reborn in a state which is more open to allowing those who want to keep some form of it alive to do so on their own terms. Tradition is overrated when it holds back progress. People are not beholden to art and culture, art and culture are simply reflections of society as it is.

If we're talking about the conflict between the masters' rakugo and Sukeroku's rakugo, I partially agree in that the masters should be more accommodating in allowing a place for Sukeroku's style to flourish. With the development of new technologies comes the need for traditional art forms to make use of those technologies, and with a shift in generations comes the need to them to figure out how to appeal to new audiences. But I disagree with the antagonism you've set up between tradition and progress. I think it's best when old and new forms of art can coexist, without one feeling the need to push out and eliminate the other. History should neither be mindlessly adhered to nor entirely thrown aside. To be a whole human being, one must look to the past, present, and future all at once.

The pettiness and jealous towards Sukeroku from his elders rings really true because it's the sort of thing that you see in many organizations towards young and ambitious people that disregard conventions and don't know how to play politics. It's a pretty human thing, not a condemnation of Rakugo in particular. There aren't a whole lot of places where you can disrespect your bosses and still get a promotion.

Haly

It's not really about whose style of rakugo and whatnot, although that's what it appears to be on the surface.

Sukeroku realizes rakugo's value as entertainment is limited in the face of television and film, and it needs to revolutionize itself if it wants to remain a major part of Japan's cultural output rather than a niche curiosity.

That is the actual stakes of the situation and Sukeroku sees it but the masters apparently don't. They're high on the post-war boon and don't realize the Showa period is already on its way out.

duckroll

If we're talking about the conflict between the masters' rakugo and Sukeroku's rakugo, I partially agree in that the masters should be more accommodating in allowing a place for Sukeroku's style to flourish. With the development of new technologies comes the need for traditional art forms to make use of those technologies, and with a shift in generations comes the need to them to figure out how to appeal to new audiences. But I disagree with the antagonism you've set up between tradition and progress. I think it's best when old and new forms of art can coexist, without one feeling the need to push out and eliminate the other. History should neither be mindlessly adhered to nor entirely thrown aside. To be a whole human being, one must look to the past, present, and future all at once.

I think the problem here is that the artform here is presented as a dying art with limited reach but at the same time heavily regulated by a traditional hierarchy of masters. This would not be much of an issue if we're talking about a single organization within a larger artform, where the actions of the group have limited consequence on the overall progression of the art. Here, we are talking about a very localized artform which is seen as an oral tradition passed down and officiated by a small group. A group which doesn't seem to want to address their possible decline.

The pettiness and jealous towards Sukeroku from his elders rings really true because it's the sort of thing that you see in many organizations towards young and ambitious people that disregard conventions and don't know how to play politics. It's a pretty human thing, not a condemnation of Rakugo in particular. There aren't a whole lot of places where you can disrespect your bosses and still get a promotion.

It's a condemnation of Rakugo in particular when it is implied that this organization is the only gateway to performing Rakugo professionally. When an artform is no different from a cartel, and the barrier of entry is so high, the fact that the people running the cartel don't care about the decline of the artform and would rather want their own dicks sucked first indicates that the artform in that state should not have much reason to survive if people continue to lose interest in it.

It's not really about whose style of rakugo and whatnot, although that's what it appears to be on the surface.

Sukeroku realizes rakugo's value as entertainment is limited in the face of television and film, and it needs to revolutionize itself if it wants to remain a major part of Japan's cultural output rather than a niche curiosity.

That is the actual stakes of the situation and Sukeroku sees it but the masters apparently don't. They're high on the post-war boon and don't realize the Showa period is already on its way out.

Exactly. I'm looking at it from a point of industry rather than human relations. There will always be human conflict in anything, but if you're the gatekeepers of this niche art, and you can't put those conflicts aside to open up your art to people who want to make it more interesting, then you're already history.

It's a condemnation of Rakugo in particular when it is implied that this organization is the only gateway to performing Rakugo professionally. When an artform is no different from a cartel, and the barrier of entry is so high, the fact that the people running the cartel don't care about the decline of the artform and would rather want their own dicks sucked first indicates that the artform in that state should not have much reason to survive if people continue to lose interest in it.

Exactly. I'm looking at it from a point of industry rather than human relations. There will always be human conflict in anything, but if you're the gatekeepers of this niche art, and you can't put those conflicts aside to open up your art to people who want to make it more interesting, then you're already history.
I agree with a lot of this, but I'd say a fair amount of the blame for it also falls on Sukeroku and his lack of restraint. It's difficult to change an art form if you're blatantly pissing off all the gatekeepers with immature acts. He's a wild drunkard that doesn't have much of a plan, not just a well meaning visionary blocked by the establishment.

Cornbread78

Heavy Object 02-03:

Whoever made the Metal Gear Solid comparison was spot on. It's MGS-lite with high school aged kids. You could jack up the ages of everyone to their mid twenties and nothing would change, but I've been watching anime and reading manga/VNs/LNs long enough to know why they went with high school aged protags. Oh well, I enjoyed these two episodes, so looking forward to more.

Nice, welcome to the fun! It gets better as it goes along an you'll realize why Havia and Quenthar are so good together and really carry the show.

I agree with a lot of this, but I'd say a fair amount of the blame for it also falls on Sukeroku and his lack of restraint. It's difficult to change an art form if you're blatantly pissing off all the gatekeepers with immature acts. He's a wild drunkard that doesn't have much of a plan, not just a well meaning visionary blocked by the establishment.

Yep. Sukeroku is a talented performer, but he's also very irresponsible and the former can't always excuse the latter.

zulux21

Skip Beat 9-10

iGs5cEC.png

XeT2stY.png

UCKz3nq.png

CQhqDvF.gif

Damn you zulux21, you didn't tell me there would be emotions.

Fun way to resolve Maria's problem but jeez it was very relatable and heart-breaking growing emotionally distant from her father.

And yeah Kyoko's relationship with her mother must be a lot worse than I thought. Its shocking to see her with such a distressed expression(even when breaking up with Sho she was mostly angry rather than sad). Also I guess no prizes for guessing Corn is
Ren

And hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Love that Kyoko goes full on evil at the possibility of sabotaging Sho. There's something about the comedic timing of this show and all the little visual touches that gets me every time. Just constant jokes or reactions that always hit the mark

The emotions are included for free with the character growth/depth :p it just so happens with good characters you can often feel the pain and joy they are going through. but yeah the relationship with her mom is bad.

sadly the arc with some of the best reaction jokes is like 2-3 after the anime :/

Haly

but I'd say a fair amount of the blame for it also falls on Sukeroku and his lack of restraint.

I disagree with this very strongly.

If a business is not minding its competitors and eventually goes down you wouldn't lay any real amount of blame on a single, high performing but non-management employee for not trying hard enough to convince the higher ups to switch their business plan.

If a company is moving into unsafe territory during a war and wound up suffering heavy losses you wouldn't lay any real amount of blame on a rising sergeant for not changing his superior's minds.

If a country isn't modernizing its industry and is instead relying on its fading exports, enjoying a recent surge, to maintain its economy you don't lay any real amount of blame on a city mayor for not challenging their economic policy.

This is the cost of being in charge, especially to the despotic extent as the rakugo heads: you bear most, if not all, the responsibility when your organization falls through. Topical example: American police departments. Who's really to blame for our frequently publicized cases of police shooting, the good cops who don't try hard enough to change the system from the inside? Or the actual hierarchy that keeps the status quo?

Sukeroku might be one of the primary protagonists of Showa Genroku Rakugo, but he is a small time performer with, little if, any influence or power. Don't mistake his prominence in the show for his position in the world of rakugo.

duckroll

Sukeroku is a bad person and does not really deserve much sympathy for the consequences of his actions. I think it is perfectly reasonable for him to have been expelled by his master. My perception of the culture of Rakugo as presented though, extends beyond Sukeroku. The former Sukeroku for example, was apparently a very talented performer as well. Yet he was forced out because the natural son was insecure and jealous. After being forced out, he was unable to perform anywhere respectable and ended up poor, homeless, and unknown. After the current Sukeroku was expelled, it is said that he was unable to find work anywhere, even though he was extremely popular with audiences before that. This seems to indicate a systemic problem, unless it is poorly presented in the narrative for dramatic purposes.

By showing that more progressive Rakugo performers are more popular with audiences, but are forced out because of tradition and bias, the narrative paints a very specific picture. If instead such performers are simply able to get work after being forced out because of their own personal problems, that would be different. Sukeroku never had problems getting asses in seats whenever he performed even when he was drinking, womanizing, and ignoring his personal hygiene. Why is it that after getting expelled by his master, he can't book a single performance anywhere? The problem here, in terms of the artform being held back and audiences being deprived of what they want to see, rests with the organizational structure, not Sukeroku's indiscretions.

Sukeroku is a bad person and does not really deserve much sympathy for the consequences of his actions. I think it is perfectly reasonable for him to have been expelled by his master. My perception of the culture of Rakugo as presented though, extends beyond Sukeroku. The former Sukeroku for example, was apparently a very talented performer as well. Yet he was forced out because the natural son was insecure and jealous. After being forced out, he was unable to perform anywhere respectable and ended up poor, homeless, and unknown. After the current Sukeroku was expelled, it is said that he was unable to find work anywhere, even though he was extremely popular with audiences before that. This seems to indicate a systemic problem, unless it is poorly presented in the narrative for dramatic purposes.

By showing that more progressive Rakugo performers are more popular with audiences, but are forced out because of tradition and bias, the narrative paints a very specific picture. If instead such performers are simply able to get work after being forced out because of their own personal problems, that would be different. Sukeroku never had problems getting asses in seats whenever he performed even when he was drinking, womanizing, and ignoring his personal hygiene. Why is it that after getting expelled by his master, he can't book a single performance anywhere? The problem here, in terms of the artform being held back and audiences being deprived of what they want to see, rests with the organizational structure, not Sukeroku's indiscretions.

Ah yeah, that does get to an important issue. A solo performance art such as rakugo really shouldn't have one organization holding all the strings such that no one not approved by them can perform.

I disagree with this very strongly.

If a business is not minding its competitors and eventually goes down you wouldn't lay any real amount of blame on a single, high performing but non-management employee for not trying hard enough to convince the higher ups to switch their business plan.

If a company is moving into unsafe territory during a war and wound up suffering heavy losses you wouldn't lay any real amount of blame on a rising sergeant for not changing his superior's minds.

If a country isn't modernizing its industry and relying on its fading exports, despite a recent surge, to maintain its economy you don't lay any real amount of blame on a city mayor for not challenging their economic policy.

This is the cost of being in charge, especially to the despotic extent as the rakugo heads: you bear most, if not all, the responsibility when your organization falls through. Topical example: American police departments. Who's really to blame for our frequently publicized cases of police shooting, the good cops who don't try hard enough to change the system from the inside? Or the actual hierarchy that keeps the status quo?

Sukeroku might be one of the primary protagonists of Showa Genroku Rakugo, but he is a small time performer with, little if, any influence or power. Don't mistake his prominence in the show for his position in the world of rakugo.
I wasn't really approaching it on this level, but on the consequences for Sukeroku's career. Obviously one low level performer is not to blame for direction of the entire art form. Though I don't really think criminal acts from law enforcement are really a good comparison to a stagnating entertainment industry. There isn't any moral imperative for Rakugo to continue to thrive.

I wish I knew more about how Rakugo was organized and why Sukeroku couldn't move to another location and try to draw in his audience there. I don't know how much of his failure was because he was blacklisted and not because he was too proud and gave up. But yeah, this doesn't paint a endearing picture of how the Rakugo elite can lock out performers.

Russ T

Banned
I was going to catch up on this weekend's anime but I have a raging headache thanks to my asshole neighbors.

I should probably sleep.

Someone end my suffering.

I was going to catch up on this weekend's anime but I have a raging headache thanks to my asshole neighbors.

I should probably sleep.

Someone end my suffering.

The first time through this post I saw a different h word after "raging." Your post had a whole different connotation to it then.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Ah yeah, that does get to an important issue. A solo performance art such as rakugo really shouldn't have one organization holding all the strings such that no one not approved by them can perform.
Just because the performance itself is an individual effort doesn't mean rakugo is an art practiced and shaped by a single individual. Stories passed down orally need to emphasize tradition and create hierarchies for the works they protect to be passed down through and practiced appropriately. These stories wouldn't exist the way they do without being protected, honed, and passed on appropriately. It seems overly optimistic to assume that Sukeroku's approach would have saved the popularity of rakugo.

Clov

Looks like Tokyopop threw up Angel's Egg on YouTube...except it was a bad fansub they seemingly just used. Then Crunchyroll retweeted that they put it up. Then Guillermo Del Toro retweeted it. And I don't know what else has happened, but its funny.

It's still up

CddIkmuW0AALPyL.jpg

lmao. It's a movie with like 20 lines of dialogue tops as well, how hard can it be? Extra fuckery in the description -

This is... really, really frustrating. How could they have screwed up the handful of lines in the film so badly?! They better not have ended up with home video rights, or I'll throw a fit.

Ojisan to Marshmellow 1-10

I gave it a shot and man is this series funny. I actually lol'd. Dat cliffhanger though, can't wait for the next episode.
ZBoT4e3.jpg

I wish I knew more about how Rakugo was organized and why Sukeroku couldn't move to another location and try to draw in his audience there. I don't know how much of his failure was because he was blacklisted and not because he was too proud and gave up. But yeah, this doesn't paint a endearing picture of how the Rakugo elite can lock out performers.

I haven't found a history of rakugo in the 20th century (probably doesn't exist in English), but this little article indicates that at least in the 21st century rakugo has been adapting somewhat to contemporary times.

According to Watanabe, “the genius of the genre is that it is so flexible. It can be performed in many different places. . . . It was never considered high art, and the government didn’t recognize it with cultural awards until recently. But now rakugo is getting greater play in the whole spectrum of the Japanese entertainment-media world. Rakugokas are hosting TV shows and making DVDs. Nobody’s sure how this will impact the genre, whether it’s good or bad for the future of rakugo.”

Also it's worth noting that Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu has a rakugo supervisor, Shinpei Hayashiya, who I guess is this guy who has also directed films such as Deep Sea Monster Reigo vs. The Battleship Yamato.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom