• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of companies that regularly provide anime CG, Orange is definitely the best. Toei does some good work as well; the CG portions of the Go Princess Precure film are really strong. Other examples of good anime CG tend to be from studios that haven't primarily worked in anime, such as Studio Gooneys (Show by Rock) and Dimps (Majin Bone).

duckroll

That's true, although they aren't very prolific in anime specifically - to my knowledge, they've just worked on the Jojo OPs, the Gatchaman Crowds OPs, and that City Hunter OVA.

I think most of their clients are actually game publishers and developers. Lots of great work there - the FFT PSP FMVs, the DQ CG trailers, etc. More recently they worked on the Cyber Sleuth FMVs as well, and they did one of the Animator Expo shorts - I think the one by Suda51. Oh and they also worked with Suda51 on the game component of Short Peace. Lol.

I think most of their clients are actually game publishers and developers. Lots of great work there - the FFT PSP FMVs, the DQ CG trailers, etc. More recently they worked on the Cyber Sleuth FMVs as well, and they did one of the Animator Expo shorts - I think the one by Suda51. Oh and they also worked with Suda51 on the game component of Short Peace. Lol.

Ah right, that Suda51 Animator Expo short. I forgot about that because it's so forgettable, but Kamikaze's work on it was fine. And they're the ones responsible for the Cyber Sleuth FMVs? That explains why they look so good; I was actually thinking "this looks like it could be Kou Yoshinari" at points.

Russ T

Banned
I watched the three Berserk movies recently and while the cg wasn't great to start, they really figured shit out by the third movie. Though I noted at the time (and sitll believe) that a significant part of that is that CG works much better once the show embraces the unnatural, the demonic. When it's just people fighting people, it's junk, but when it's giant demons, it's actually pretty solid. Also, though the original anime series did it better, I was still fairly happy with that scene where Guts murders an entire army by himself.

at least tomorrow's Erased impressions will cheer me up

SAVAGE TUSR

Majin Bone 50

fJTnoM7.jpg

This is as final confrontation as it gets.

Jarmel

Banned
The VA work for Kono Suba was so good. Aqua's voice wavering when she was screaming, that indignation on Megumin's part, the scream when Darkness charged in, and the diary entry with the idiotic scientist were all great. That has to be one of my favorite parts of the show.

So I can get this out of the way when I start making the Ace Attorney anime OT next week, anyone have any other ideas for the tagline?

So far I've got:

|OT| Eat your hamburgers, Ryuuichi.

|OT| Stepladders not included.

|OT| In which we all speak autobiographical gibberish

Cornbread78

Phantom World ep.11
Oh Haru was so Kawaii! If that didn't ship those two, and the Reina arc didn't ship them, then there will definately nor be any shipping in this show. This makes sense since it is so episodic. Not a bad episode overall and it actually gave some character backstory. As always, the animation and color for this show are still great though...

duckroll

I've always wondered, with prolific sound directors how does one really tell how "good" the sound director is at... "sound direction", rather than how good the person is at securing contracts with studios and directors? The more prolific ones seem to work on so many shows at once that they seem more like great sound studio managers than anything else. If a show has good performances, is that a credit to the sound director alone? Or to the casting? Or could it be the director of the show providing more feedback than usual during recording sessions? It's a mystery to me...

So the sound director for Kono Suba is Yoshikazu Iwanami who is fairly good despite a few big fuck-ups.

Dedicated sound directors are so prolific in the number of shows they work on, they're not going to be able to majntain a spotless track record. The vision set by the overall director on a given production seems to be more important to the quality of its sound direction than who the sound director is.

Jarmel

Banned
I've always wondered, with prolific sound directors how does one really tell how "good" the sound director is at... "sound direction", rather than how good the person is at securing contracts with studios and directors? The more prolific ones seem to work on so many shows at once that they seem more like great sound studio managers than anything else. If a show has good performances, is that a credit to the sound director alone? Or to the casting? Or could it be the director of the show providing more feedback than usual during recording sessions? It's a mystery to me...

I imagine it like with most stuff in anime is a group effort. Look at the Making of Kill La Kill in that Imaishi and Nakashima sat in the recordings and nixed stuff they didn't like. They made the VA for Mako redo a scene for most of a day. That said, Iwanami was also there too so he almost certainly has input as well. Most of the stuff on the casting side seems to be done in boardroom meetings ala Shirobako so the sound director has to work with what they have. For example there is no way someone with an ear would choose Aoi Yuki for a singing role, but there she is in Symphogear as they need to push her for commercial reasons.

There's also things like when to use insert songs or dead 'space' audibly in an episode.

your lie in april 1-22

im sad

so very very sad

at least tomorrow's Erased impressions will cheer me up

It's been a few days since I finished this series and I still can't get over it lol, I started watching My Little Monster and that's lighthearted enough to get me perked up a bit. Although to be perfectly honest I just want to rewatch this again, and maybe actually buy it if Aniplex ever does a cheaper standard edition of it.

cj_iwakura

Saw the Psycho Pass movie earlier in theaters, wanted to do my part to help see Steins;Gate's film get the same release.

It wasn't bad, wasn't great. Solid first act, great endgame(though it just kind of stops at a certain point), middle draaaaaaaaaaagged.

Wildly uneven dub. I hate Togami's dub, Akane is okay. The robots are fantastic.

Cornbread78

So I can get this out of the way when I start making the Ace Attorney anime OT next week, anyone have any other ideas for the tagline?

So far I've got:
|OT| Eat your hamburgers, Ryuuichi.

|OT| Stepladders not included.

|OT| In which we all speak autobiographical gibberish

|OT| Phoenix can't even save the Vita

|OT| Nothing but cutscenes, where's the game?

Jarmel

Banned
Phantom World-11

This was easily the best episode so far. I highly doubt they'll top it. Ishidate did a fantastic job on both the storyboarding and directorial side. Animation was the best it has ever looked. Just a really notable step up in quality. If anyone dropped the show, I would advise them to at least watch this episode.

Phantom World-11

This was easily the best episode so far. I highly doubt they'll top it. Ishidate did a fantastic job on both the storyboarding and directorial side. Animation was the best it has ever looked. Just a really notable step up in quality. If anyone dropped the show, I would advise them to at least watch this episode.

It's like I said, if only the whole show was like this. This episode actually made me give a shit about the characters. Mai's role was that of a single mother really, and Haruhiko, that of a kid that grew with no parents. The ending broke my heart, when she read his note. If Phantom World had episodes in which the characters were developed like this from the beginning it could have been great, even if they kept the whole episodic thing going. And hey, there was barely any fan service this episode, and it was a,amazing. Fan service != a good episode/show, what a shocker!!

TUSR

Banned
It's like I said, if only the whole show was like this. This episode actually made me give a shit about the characters. Mai's role was that of a single mother really, and Haruhiko, that of a kid that grew with no parents. The ending broke my heart, when she read his note. If Phantom World had episodes in which the characters were developed like this from the beginning it could have been great, even if they kept the whole episodic thing going. And hey, there was barely any fan service this episode, and it was a,amazing. Fan service != a good episode/show, what a shocker!!

i agree completely here, imagine a phantom world where the serier is closer to this type of episode. gives me hope for the last two episodes.

preview for 12 should be up soon.

(there was tons of fan service, maybe just not for you!)

i agree completely here, imagine a phantom world where the serier is closer to this type of episode. gives me hope for the last two episodes.

preview for 12 should be up soon.

(there was tons of fan service, maybe just not for you!)

I echo what Jarmel said, people should watch episode 11 of this show, I think it works well as a standalone episode. I'd say it was one of the most emotional things I watched all season. KyoAni, you still have it in you, I know you do. But this one was too little too late for me, basically none of what we watched up to this episode mattered really, other than getting these kids together. This showed emotion, from beginning to end, and I too noticed how much work went into it in the visuals too compared to all other episodes. It didn't have as many flashy scenes, but damn if the subtle movements weren't captured perfectly.

And I guess you could say there was fan service (man service at the end?). But no swimsuits, no skimpy skirts, no none of that.

TUSR

Banned
Phantom World-11

This showed emotion, from beginning to end, and I too noticed how much work went into it in the visuals too compared to all other episodes. It didn't have as many flashy scenes, but damn if the subtle movements weren't captured perfectly.

And I guess you could say there was fan service (man service at the end?). But no swimsuits, no skimpy skirts, no none of that.

The issue with Phantom World is that most of the episodes seem to be anime original. They haven't even progressed through the first LN yet in 11 episodes.

If you don't care for spoilers, even though I doubt a S2 will happen, you should take a look at the synopsis for the second LN. The tone of the LNs are completely different than the anime. With the amount of filler, its unsurprising.

Two scenes today caught me off guard.

One at the beginning of the episode, when Koito is addressing Reina.

"What the big deal? It's your reward for all your hard work. Right?"

She comes off as actually being a character with emotions.

And the second being a simple joke on "I can't bear to watch"

Even though its low humor, I got a laugh out of it with my basic knowledge of Japanese. Honestly, I didn't expect to get a laugh out of this show.

Chances are it goes back to sucking next week, but its nice to see an outlier like this pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom