• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Yeah, I don't get why people were pairing Satoru with Kayo, when Satoru was an adult and Kayo a child. On the other hand, the show clearly pairs him with Airi, which is perfectly normal.

Jaxec

From JoJo OT

We got some new preview images for the Part 4 anime:

tumblr_o48swi7fN81uk758zo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o48swi7fN81uk758zo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o48swi7fN81uk758zo3_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o48swi7fN81uk758zo4_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o48swi7fN81uk758zo5_r1_1280.jpg

Hataraku Maou-sama 1

I kind of wish we got more of the fantasy setting at the start. It was generic, but it looked really cool visually.

The comedy in Japan was pretty good though. I wish the episode didn't leap so far forward in time at the commercial break though. It would have been nice to see Maou gradually get domesticated instead of all of a sudden.

Agreed. I will say that strangely I don't think the comedy hits as high of a high that the first episode did (the lost in translation parts got legitimate out loud laughter from me) but I definitely thought the show was worth a watch and elicited a number of laughs out of me regularly.

I also enjoyed the characters which helped.

phaze

you'd best not find her annoying at all

muri de-ssu yo senpai.

Tekkonkinkreet
Growing really tired of internal character strife being done by the way of "tulpa wars" and consequently, not a fan of how Black's destructive tendencies were handled at the end there. All the more so since this was literally Darkness spewing bullshit like: "Embrace my power" and the like. You can show that struggle without resorting to cheesy devices like that. White's supernatural connection to Black also rubbed me the wrong way. Yes, I got that he had all the screws Black needed, I really got it. You don't need to beat me over the head with it.

I feel like I should like this movie more than I did, cause it certainly is well accomplished on the technical level with some really great visuals, backgrounds in particular, direction and a story that ties everything neatly at the end but I dunno, somehow I just couldn't give a damn about B&W, I even liked those two older gangsters and their stories more.I felt pretty much the same about Ping-Pong though so maybe it's just my deep seated, irrational problem with Matsumoto's characters at large.

Russ T

Banned
A Youtube human made an analysis video of all the red in Erased. What's in a Scene? - Red Means Dead.

He also made one about the scene with Kayo and Satoru meet in the park.

He's really good at analyzing things. Don't necessarily always agree with his tastes, but hey that's even better. Haven't watched this video yet, but I'm curious to see what he thinks of it.

(I'm a pretty big fan of this guy, if it's not obvious.)

Aki-at

Yeah, I don't get why people were pairing Satoru with Kayo, when Satoru was an adult and Kayo a child. On the other hand, the show clearly pairs him with Airi, which is perfectly normal.

Best mum handpicked Airi.

She's the chosen one, all else are pretenders.

Minutes spent on raising death flags: 03

This eerie feeling raised by basically everything the cat does is super unnerving to me.

I wonder how it plays out, MC is already pretty depressed right now, are they going to go even lower in the next and final episode?

Minutes spent on raising death flags: 03

This eerie feeling raised by basically everything the cat does is super unnerving to me.

I wonder how it plays out, MC is already pretty depressed right now, are they going to go even lower in the next and final episode?

The two will go to some Rakugo performance and commit double suicide afterwards.

JulianImp

I prefer a good old-fashioned degozaru myself. Sounds like a bull demon or something.

That made Kenshin fun and also really helped Saori's geeky attitude in OreImo.

My favorite speech patterns would probably be, in no particular order:
  • Imperative -tamae: Krauss used that a lot in Umineko, and his VA did the same in Samurai Flamenco.
  • Old-style refined lady speech patterns: Shinobu does it. Umineko' Beatrice also does, only her mix of refined and impolite speech patterns gives her a much more playful/teasing characterization that really resonates with her character as a whole
  • -souro style formality: Again, Dlanor's underlings Cornelia and that other girl from Umineko. I remember reciting their ubiquitous "謹啓、謹んで申し上げ奉る" phrase to my Japanese teacher and she pointing out that the speech patterns were used by people in the Japanese court in ancient times. Rarely used in anime because I guess archaisms can get hard to understand even for native Japanese speakers

As much as the Umineko anime was...well, whatever it was, I did greatly enjoy Beatrice's voice acting and speech patterns. It fit her pretty damn well.

kewlmyc

As much as the Umineko anime was...well, whatever it was, I did greatly enjoy Beatrice's voice acting and speech patterns. It fit her pretty damn well.

They used the voice actors to voice the PS3 adaptions of the sound novels and it was fantastic. Check out the voice rips if you are interested in the series.

It's funny how the 30 year old paired with the 17 year old is the "normal" relationship of the series. :p

What's also a lovely little fact is that these moronic shippers are basically pairing up a 29 years old man with a girl aged 10. Sure Satoru is trapped in the body of a ten-year-old due to the 'revival' event but mentally he's always 18-19 years her senior. Not only that, he's also 'from the future' and can basically control her outcome to his liking.
[...]

Yes, it's stupid, both because there was never a true romance angle in the series, and because the true age gap.

But about the last point, I'm going to add that maybe some people ships come from a problem that I already commented before, the protagonist adultness is very dialed back and the story is almost told as he is truly a kid with some knowledge of what it will happen in the future. So much that I think some viewers forgot he wasn't really a kid.

JulianImp

They used the voice actors to voice the PS3 adaptions of the sound novels and it was fantastic. Check out the voice rips if you are interested in the series.

I love spotting the Umineko VAs when they show up on other shows. Off the top of my head, Rudolph's is freaking everywhere (always as a badass smug grown man), Krauss was that axe ranger mentor guy in Samurai Flamenco, and Kyrie was Caster in Fate/UBW. The rest I don't know all that much about, but it was surprising for me when I saw both Battler and Kinzo were voiced by the same actor. BEATORICHEEEEEEEEEE!

Yes, it's stupid, both because there was never a true romance angle in the series, and because the true age gap.

But about the last point, I'm going to add that maybe some people ships come from a problem that I already commented before, the protagonist adultness is very dialed back and the story is almost told as he is truly a kid with some knowledge of what it will happen in the future. So much that I think some viewers forgot he wasn't really a kid.

While I agree with you, I feel like Satoru saying "Come on, you're 29 years old!" to himself a bunch of times should've reminded people about his age.

JulianImp

I feel like Satoru saying "Come on, you're 29 years old!" to himself a bunch of time should've reminded people about his age.

He's like a reverse Conan, where he has the mind of an adult in the body of a kid but forgets to use his adult wits because he loves clinging to that idiot ball of his.

I mean, it would've been interesting to see him psych the killer out with all his knowledge of the case (didn't the perp kill some people in nearby towns before?) or who his original targets were... but no, he had to act as a kid and stay frozen by fear while the killed got to do whatever unimpeded.

Nightii

Banned
Satoru clearly got too into reliving his childhood for his own good, it could be seen from the beginning when he is reliving things he had forgotten and gaining appreciation for things he ignored or took for granted (his Mom, for example).

Was it stupid of him? Yeah, it definitely was, but I'm ok with him being stupid.

JulianImp

Satoru clearly got too into reliving his childhood for his own good, it could be seen from the beginning when he is reliving things he had forgotten and gaining appreciation for things he ignored or took for granted (his Mom, for example).

Was it stupid of him? Yeah, it definitely was, but I'm ok with him being stupid.

That's alright for "safe" things, and maybe even acceptable for some moments of his everyday life that he learned to appreciate as he got the chance to live through them again... but don't tell me he keeps that childish and easygoing attitude when faced by the freaking murderer he had set out to stop in the very first place. His whole goal was to thwart the mastermind's plans, so staying in child mode when facing things related to the crimes makes absolutely no sense.

I also loved his "I know your future" line, because that was the best comeback he could muster and it was obviously completely wrong: Satoru changing the past means the future he came from would be replaced by a new one with a safe Kayo and all that. Like, come on.

Garo Crimson Moon Episode 21

So, stuff is finally kinda happening. Seimei has been possessed by an ancient horror, and the gang traps her so Raikou can enter her heart to drive it out.

Apparently Seimei's heart is full of nothing but fog...
I don't get it. Why wouldn't you use this moment to flesh out Raikou and Seimei's relationship more? How couldn't you?

Cornbread78

Dagashi ep.10
c80gqzF.gif

oKWR2Vj.png

Good for a couple laughs at poor hotaru still not taking care of herself and her candy illness. The shows better (for me) when it's not completely about different types of candy I've never heard of before, so I could definitely keep up with this episode.

But he didn't. He already lived those years.

But he wasnt happy. Didnt he slowly become estranged from his friends? They showed how his guilt from Kayos murder affected him into adulthood and he grew up depressed and unhappy. I always felt this was a second chance for him to, well, live again.

I'm fine with it, sometimes sacrifices are needed in the story or the emotional impact will fall flat. That being said... what happens to the people Satoru saved in the original time line like the kid in the first episode?

Plus
he might have lost Kayo but from the looks of things he's set her up with a happy life with a friend he saved AND above else seems to have saved his mother.

I was a little bummed that
Kayo and Satoru didnt meet in the future and got together but I dont think Satoru's intention was ever to romance her. We dont even know if he ever had romantic feelings for her. IIRC he just wanted to save her. He did what he set out to do and thanks to his efforts the two friends he rescued were able to live a happy life together and create another life of their own.

I feel like Satoru has sacrificed a lot already and he deserves a break. Cant have everyone have a happy ending except for him. That being said, I'm not convinced that this is the true timeline as he still needs closure from his other adult timeline. I definitely think another revival is coming. Was 2003 the year his mother was killed or was that much later?

killer cucked

Thanks, using this for my debut album title

Szadek

I tried to watch the new Erased, but I really don't care anymore.
Will just wait till the anime is over and read the spoilers.

Mailbox

So I decided to make my avatar for next season early this time. I don't wanna be stuck with last season's avatar for half the season like I did this one :p

Its gonna be Midoriya.

Ahh, damnit. I'm sorry, Mailbox... Damn sleepiness...

No worries.

Dagashi ep.10
c80gqzF.gif

oKWR2Vj.png

Good for a couple laughs at poor hotaru still not taking care of herself and her candy illness. The shows better (for me) when it's not completely about different types of candy I've never heard of before, so I could definitely keep up with this episode.

Looks like I need to watch the latest episode. Thanks for reminding me Candybread!

kewlmyc

GATE 23

This show is at its best when it features modern military blowing the fuck out of medieval armies. Not sure what Bozes was thinking when trying to rescue the princess. Did she think they were just going to let her walk through the palace gates? I wonder how Itami and the gang are going to take on the entire capital by themselves. Hopefully the prince and his bunny slave get what's coming to them next episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom