• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Heavy Object - 23

This is like the perfect arc to end things. All the major villains and characters are present and the whole situation is basically the result of Qwenthurs and Havias actions during the show.
Flides ideology is some food for thought. It's very hard to outright call him a villain, because he does have a point.

It's kind of interesting to think about it. Objects are basically the culmination of weapons of mass destruction technology in this universe. And yet exactly that is the reason that wars are 'safe'.
There is no point in fighting a war if you only have to compare the amount of objects and their specs between nations and can determine winner and loser this way. There are no exceptions, no special cases. The power of Objects is absolute.
Enter Qwenthur and Havia. They fought and won against Objects time and time again, while they were in the clearly inferior position. They shattered the preconception that Objects are 'absolute'. And that's why wars are escalating again.

I can't wait for next episode, and fingers crossed for a second season!

Seiniyta

Steins;Gate: All of it

What an incredible series. I loved the way they did the timetravelling aspect in the show. Really good stuff and I was sad when I finished the movie and the alternate version of episode 23. The news they're making a new season definitly excites me.

Now, having watched that. Any anime (or manga) with a really strong timetravelling aspect? (Erased aside)

i just dom't see why kayo even had to be married, i don;t think any of the other friends are married at this point anyway.

She's 25 years old. She didn't have to be married. She also didn't have to be unmarried.

I don't understand why some people want to put some weird-ass restrictions on her for what happened in a short period when she was 10 years old. There's literally no need to argue whether or not she was a good fit for Hiromi and similar stuff when there's fricking 15, f i f t e e n, years that passed and had her living a life. The author made 100% reasonable choices for what happened in that time concerning these characters.

For those who want to complain about something, might I offer the laughably bad thriller elements instead?

Garo Crimson Moon - 22

The watchdog(s) joining in to fight was pretty cool. At the same time it felt kinda out of place, as I never got the impression nor really recall that watchdogs had the strength/authority to get their hands dirty in the field.
Very convenient Omnyou spell drawback for this specific vessel plot. Maybe it really exists in the 'Garo lore' but as of now it feels like bad writing.

2fac9pe.jpg
ZsPd5BA.jpg

Cornbread78

GATE 23
Let's fucking go Itami. Bring Pina into the harem!

LOL

Gate ep.23
KomqBa9.jpg

Way to fall right into Tyruule's plan your idiot prince. Why is it that he is so stupid and can't see that she is purposefully destroying the empire and at the same time the SDF doesn't realize that they needed the princess in this mission (see above) Itami would have gone right in there and buster her a$$ out. fun watching the modern military just completely destroy fantasy armies though, lol.

rrvv

Saekano END

Can see it. The Smile of potential serial Killer. She maybe look quiet. But she just observing. Analyzing her rival. Soon she going to kill everyone that close to Aki. Everyone except herself.

Aki don't realize that he raising one hell of yandere, My god help him

JulianImp

Saekano END

Can see it. The Smile of potential serial Killer. She maybe look quiet. But she just observing. Analyzing her rival. Soon she going to kill everyone that close to Aki. Everyone except herself.

Saekano make people watch it more dumb. You just remind me that.

No worry, it pass off after time.

Cornbread78

What an incredible series. I loved the way they did the timetravelling aspect in the show. Really good stuff and I was sad when I finished the movie and the alternate version of episode 23. The news they're making a new season definitly excites me.

Now, having watched that. Any anime (or manga) with a really strong timetravelling aspect? (Erased aside)

It's got flaws, but Charlotte.

Saekano make people watch it more dumb. You just remind me that.

No worry, it pass off after time.

But it was FUN, lol

phaze

RIP

What happened?

Goddamit Puruzi

Tatami Galaxy has the main guy in eternal loop but the time travel aspect/
or alternate dimensions ?
is never expanded upon or explained. Just magic ! and voila.

Noein is an action show with time hopping but I found it middling at best.

Other than that:

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Super duper good. 12/10

Ascheroth

It's got flaws, but Charlotte.

Don't watch Charlotte.

She and her (not yet dead) Cat 3

Wow her friend looked like she got married super young. They cant be older than 22?

I dont see any shame in moving back with your folks until you get back on your feet. Pride is such a stupid thing.

JulianImp

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Gotta second this. Definitely a great movie that fits the "focuses on time travel" requirement.

Guess we could also include Haruhi's Endless Eight into the mix?
Kyon-kun, denwa!

Time travel is a plot device that's really hard to get right, IMO. All the paradoxes, branching timelines and things such as the presence of multiple people/objects capable of travelling through time tend to make things complicated as hell, and thus prone to crashing and burning in spectacular (but still not fun) ways.

S2 of Haruhi

;p

Saekano END

This is relevant to my interests.

Clov

According to ANN Amazon apparently paid some ridiculous, unheard of amount for the streaming rights it acquired. I wonder if this covers past Noitamina anime in addition to future ones? Would be nice to see some of their currently unlicensed titles gain a new audience.

Also makes me a bit curious about future home video rights to these titles. Do North American anime companies still have to go through Fuji TV, or will they now deal with Amazon? What about Noitamina titles that Aniplex would normally release on home video (or, in many cases, do nothing with)? Very interested in seeing the consequences of this deal on the North American industry.

According to ANN Amazon apparently paid some ridiculous, unheard of amount for the streaming rights it acquired. I wonder if this covers past Noitamina anime in addition to future ones? Would be nice to see some of their currently unlicensed titles gain a new audience..

Kabaneri is going to be that good that that AMZN would pay the full production cost of it to stream it worldwide? If you got it flaunt it I guess. Good for AMZN.

Clov

Kabaneri is going to be that good that that AMZN would pay the full production cost of it to stream it worldwide? If you got it flaunt it I guess. Good for AMZN.

Apparently they actually paid more than the full production cost of Kabaneri, though it's only a rumor. Also, this is bigger than just Kabaneri. I've heard it's for all future Noitamina titles.

Exalted

I only ever watched a couple of episodes of Jojo Stardust crusaders, and while i didn't dislike it didn't really grab me, so i dropped it then. I felt the art style was kinda strange, especially the body proportions of all the characters, but the biggest problem i had with the show was that the story was kinda light, and it was mostly just a villain of the week which just wasn't really interesting to me. Only later i found out that this was only one of the many JoJo shows.

So i'm wondering, how are the other JoJo's compared to Stardust Crusaders, mostly in terms of its storytelling? Same, similar , different ?

phaze

I will some day.

tumblr_mi7qke48T41ry14qgo1_500.gif

I only ever watched a couple of episodes of Jojo Stardust crusaders, and while i didn't dislike it didn't really grab me, so i dropped it then. I felt the art style was kinda strange, especially the body proportions of all the characters, but the biggest problem i had with the show was that the story was kinda light, and it was mostly just a villain of the week which just wasn't really interesting to me. Only later i found out that this was only one of the many JoJo shows.

So i'm wondering, how are the other JoJo's compared to Stardust Crusaders, mostly in terms of its storytelling? Same, similar , different ?

Part 1 and 2 are not MotW. From what I understand every part after 3, more or less , follows that format, though SC is supposedly the lightest on the story. As someone who didn't care much for Part 3 (or 1), Battle Tendency aka part 2 is a much more tighter and interesting experience.

Apparently they actually paid more than the full production cost of Kabaneri, though it's only a rumor. Also, this is bigger than just Kabaneri. I've heard it's for all future Noitamina titles.

The ann line says just for one series

"Amazon has more money than God, and the amount they were rumored to be offering for exclusive worldwide streaming rights for a series was by far the highest price I've ever heard of being paid for anime rights -- enough to pay for the entire production and then some."

Qurupeke

I'd totally recommend skipping the entirety of Charlotte and watching just the finale. The final episode, when taken out of context, is actually cool.

JulianImp

Seriously though, there are average anime fans that appreciate it for what it is, then there are serious die-hard fans that hyper-analyze it.

Overall, it gets very positive reviews despite the rushed story.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/28999/Charlotte

Sadly, it was a completely forgettable anime for me. The delivery was overly rushed, the lack of world and character-building foiled all attempts the show made at pulling my heart-strings with cheap melodrama (I loathe the overly cutesy imouto nano desu~ trope), and it just had too many plot lines that amounted to absolutely nothing in the end.

Zhiend? The mobsters from overseas? The scientists? Charlotte? None of them lasted more than a couple episodes at best, and the resolution to each of their plot-lines was really underwleming for me.

kewlmyc

Seriously though, there are average anime fans that appreciate it for what it is, then there are serious die-hard fans that hyper-analyze it.

Overall, it gets very positive reviews despite the rushed story.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/28999/Charlotte

3 of the 4 "most helpful reviews" are 3/10s. :/

I wouldn't say I'm a "die-hard" anime fan, but I give Charlotte a hard time because it got my hopes up, then crashed them into the earth, then set them on fire. A lot of anime I find to be awful, but I usually never go into them with any expectations. I'm so harsh on Charlotte because I went in with high expectations due to the talent and studio behind it, and the writer saying he learned his lesson from his first original anime, and got let down super hard. There's way worse anime out there, but Charlotte holds a very special place of hate in my heart since it wouldn't have taken much for it to have lived up to expectations. It suffers from amateurish mistakes, which it should considering the pedigree of the team behind it. Aldnoah Zero is kind of the same.

I think Angel Beats is the only Key property I really enjoyed. Charlotte was just a letdown. Had some good moments but overall pretty mediocre.

Just T

I enjoyed Clannad (it dragged in some places) and Angel Beats. Charlotte was the disappointment. Only Key stuff I've seen and probably won't watch the past series Kanon and Air, I have issues with their designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom