• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

I think hearing that there was a new Pee-Wee Herman movie in 2016 surprises me more then hearing there was a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2 in 2016.

It was better than I expected it to be. It wasn't great, but it was cute movie and Paul Reubens' still got it. Hard to believe he's in his 60's. Has it been that long since I was 5 and watching Pee-Wee's Playhouse in my parent's living room every Saturday morning? :(

Hataraku Maou-sama 4

GpzZoZf.jpg

Hey, this episode actually did a good job fleshing out Emi's character and making her more than just a generic tsundere. Well done.

Chiho, on the other hand, is a completely awful character who needs to go.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Dagashi Kashi 10
Hotaru is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but that exactly what make this funny. She need to go on a rehab.

Subbed Live! 11 - On the Roof, No One Can Hear You Scream
Wait, WTF? They never mentioned this before, right?

I totally take back my statement on Kayo getting married and having a kid, the educational system is DEPENDENT on people boning their friends

It is interesting how there's all these time skips, though. I think every other idol-ish show I've watched hasn't really had time skips. I guess it's just gaiden material (Although I suppose it would have all just been filler -- I'm looking at you K-On) I guess my gripe is it just doesn't make *as* much sense why our girls are doing as well as they are when we haven't seem them really perform much, or really struggle all that much at all.

Kotori's gotten a lot of character development lately, which is nice because she didn't seem to do all that much in the first few episodes. Designated drama queen best hair kotori

Oh hey, this is probably one of the better songs we've had so far in this show. Hi Hi Hi or Hai Hai Hai?
moshi moshi

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Oshiete Galko-chan 11
Probably the most important anime of the decade. Praise butt culture!

Sekko Boys 11

That was awesome. The punchline with Agrippa was great

Love, but Live: 12 - Please Understand
...In which a light sprain and a fever are enough to keep you out of school for several days. Truly, being idoru is suffering.

I'm just trying to imagine Nozomi's boob grabs as the locker room butt slap. But there is something kinda creepy about how they are how she enforces behavior among the girls.

Honoka did nothing wrong

lol, this background dialogue though
Student A: "Hey, did you do the handout for first period?"
Student B: "Nope."

story of my life

Love Live! School Idol Project END
Okay, it's over now.

Honestly, I just didn't like this season all that much. It's too bad, because I thought it started really really strong. I feel like by the end, the girls were just not that great of friends. I mean, sure they all were tied to Honoka as their leader and the central reason for why they all joined the group, but the chemistry between bandmates(?) was just not that strong. Like, I just did not think that Umi and Kotori were *really* friends with the rest, the kouhai trio just spent the whole time just being pushed around by the third years, and especially Nico, in my mind I felt like she just was not the biggest fan of everyone else.

Plot:
I know they only had 13 episodes to develop the 9 main characters, but honestly I actually felt like they spent a little too long. Like now that I think of it, what was even the point of the Akiba episode with Kotori, especially because they were going to use her as drama bait two episodes later? They should have at least given that time for the other girls to develop. Also the climax was just weak. Maybe they expected to make a second season here, but honestly if you name the show "Love Live" I expect the girls to at least show up AT the Love Live! In practically every other sports/performance show, even if our group isn't supposed to win, they're supposed to just *get* there period. Like, this is worse than Ash Ketchum getting rekt over and over again. At least he shows up to the Gyms and the Leagues.

Music:
I usually grab a few songs from these shows, especially ones that focus on music, but I just was not feeling the music for this one. Maybe I've listened to too many songs that sound similar, but the lyrics were fairly generic, the melodies were kinda awkward, and they just were not catchy. I mean, I love to blast idol music on my radio down the highway like the next guy, but I just don't see myself doing that with these songs. Also, Start:DASH! is like their weakest song by far, why was it the choice for the climax?

Personally in the end, I felt like this show wasn't really like the other idol/music shows. I did keep thinking however, that the next closest thing I could compare this show to was
Little Busters.

Really, Little Busters, because they spent a lot of time trying to "rescue" and "recruit" the other club members. The focus of Love Live was converting the other 8 girls to the cause, not really performing at all.

If anything, this all just makes me want to watch Wake Up! Girls again. That show was the shit.

Should you watch Love Live? Sure, if you want to see where the hype is. But there are really better idol shows out there. At least for this first season. To be fair, Symphogear season one was a mess, too, so I will watch a few episodes of season two.

rrvv

Tamayura
You typical "cute girl doing cute thing"\ but theme around photographic. Which happens to be my favorite subject. Nice shoot in here and there. Music surprisingly nice. Generally pretty great in general. I also agree the moral of the story. Take the photo that you like instead doing it to impress people. Personally photograph should tell the memory and the story of photographer

Line_HTX

Please Tell Me, Galko-chan 11

Ass is fine too.

That was the most... interesting lecture I've ever heard, LOL

Sleepover is always fun. They actually watched what Otako brought, wow.

Imaginary Ojou bunny outfit was probably a bad impression, but one can dream, right?

I don't want this short to end... Ahh, I hope they make more in the future.

I actually watched this a while ago, but while browsing Super Mario commercials on YouTube and in light of the recent ERASED melt down I was reminded of
Super Mario Bros.: Peach-Hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen!

This terrible rock song plays several times during the course of Mario's journey to rescue Peach-Hime, who by the way is just playing Mario

Who knew Super Mario Bros. was really a story about NTR

But no, really, the true revelation here is that Luigi was apparently Wario before Wario.

It's an interesting look at the Mario mythos from before any of the other games; Bowser's a sorcerer like in his original incarnation, and Peach has the rebellious streak that Miyamoto originally designed her to have.

Mailbox

Magical Warfare 1-12[END]

UK5tmIy.gif

Uhm... huh.... yeah, okay...

So, when I originally heard how much people detested this on this forum I expected it to be the shittiest of shit anime. Hearing that, I had no choice but to subject myself to such displeasure. I expected to get mad or frustrated or annoyed or even maybe start swearing profanities by the idiocy. I mean, I've done those things before while watching bad shows, so I guess I kinda had my expectations set as such.

I didn't really get any of that watching this. It was just... sorta boring tbh.

Like it was a bunch of cliche ideas mixed with some semi-interesting ones done through either incompetence or people who just didn't give a shit.

Bad animation, Bad scriptwriting, Bad storyboarding, Bad exposition, Bad pacing, Bad sense of story movement between episodes, and honestly It REALLY felt like very important stuff was cut out somehow.
Its basically a poor man's mahouka, only worse than that I guess... (Take that how you will)
And this is a MADHOUSE show for fucks sake!

I mean, its just bad. But that's all it is. Bad. and boring mostly.

Well, that is until you get to the final minutes of the show.

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK HAPPENS THERE.

Seriously, like 3 HUGE twists at the very end and NONE of them make any sense.

I mean, its not as fucked up an ending as "When her flag breaks" and as a battle highschool LN adaptation, its not as bad as something like Absolute Duo, but...

I guess what I'm trying to say was its bad, really bad, but I've seen much much worse.

Maybe I should watch Green Green... Cornbread's reactions make me want to now...

I feel like this is how you guys must see me sometimes:

Sölf

Maybe I should watch Green Green... Cornbread's reactions make me want to now...

If you want something bad, yeah, do it. You could watch all of the Love♥Love? franchise. One thing is horribly bad, another thing just meh, the third one atleast somewhat enjoyable (but still not good).

Jintor

galko-chan 11

this has been a really good show. one more ep!

i might go grab the manga... really build up my collection to drag home.

Just T

Dagashi Kashi: 10

Only a fool like Hotaru would do some crap like that haha.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: 3-4

So after having this on pause for quite some time now, finally picking it back up. Might catch up just in time for Diamond idk. Anyway though, it's a bit more brutal than expected.

Qurupeke

So, any other series like Tatami Galaxy and Trapeze? Episodic with a "core" story, bizarre animation, emphasis on characters, short.

I've already have Ping Pong in my list, and maybe I'll try Mononoke too.

JulianImp

there is more.

I was asking yesterday at which LN volume the SNAFU anime left off, because I was planning on asking a friend who's going to Japan to get the ones that haven't been adapted for me. Sadly, the English wiki page for the show doesn't say which novels were adapted.

phaze

So, any other series like Tatami Galaxy and Trapeze? Episodic with a "core" story, bizarre animation, emphasis on characters, short.

Ping - Pong is a pretty continuous narrative. If you want episodic from Yuasa there is the first half of Kaiba.

Mononoke has 2-3 episode long arcs but they are very much self contained and not some kind of continuous 12 ep long story. But do watch it cause it's great.

I'd say Katanagatari would mostly fit the bill. The animation isn't as weird (though it has its moments) but the unique character designs and art style make it very distinct. It's 12 x 50 minutes though and less episodic then say, Trapeze.

Boogiepop Phantom to an extent too.

Re:Zero(2016 spring) first episode will be one hour long.
MF Bunko push this so hard huh.

That is extremely good news as it most likely means they're getting the 1st volume all done in one shot and moving right on to the real meat of the story. 1st volume is good but all set up and plot/world/character building for the rest of it. Still important as it gives him his reasoning and drive for following the heroine.

I also hope they keep their relationship the same. Their interactions are the most endearing part of it because she doesn't react like a normal Main Girl to his flirting and sexual jokes; they banter back and forth and it does a lot to show why they are the way they are to each other.

The adaptation has a lot of chance to be really good or fumble it hard.

Qurupeke

Ping - Pong is a pretty continuous narrative. If you want episodic from Yuasa there is the first half of Kaiba.

Mononoke has 2-3 episode long arcs but they are very much self contained and not some kind of continuous 12 ep long story. But do watch it cause it's great.

I'd say Katanagatari would mostly fit the bill. The animation isn't as weird (though it has its moments) but the unique character designs and art style make it very distinct. It's 12 x 50 minutes though and less episodic then say, Trapeze.

Boogiepop Phantom to an extent too.

Ah yeah, there's Kaiba, but I really hate its artstyle, it will take some determination to start it. :/ I'll probably watch Katanagatari but maybe not now, 50 minutes episodes will kill me. Booggiepop Phantom seems interesting, a bit old, but I think I'll add it.

phaze

Booggiepop Phantom seems interesting, a bit old, but I think I'll add it.

To expand on the BP bit more, it's visual distinctiveness is less in things like chara designs, rotoscoping or whatever but in the heavy atmosphere it maintains at all times. It's like say, Texhnolyze on crack.

It's also the most confusing story ever told and I dare you to make sense of it without rewinding or rewatching entire episodes. In part it's because it serves more like an epilogue to a series of light novels and thus certain events are not explained at all.

Incidentally I just found it's director is directing Heavy Object as of now. Maybe I'll check it after all.

Regalia - The Three Sacred Stars TV Anime Announced
Summer 2016.

http://regalia-anime.com/

The background looks like it could be from someone who does Bushiroad TCG mech arts.

Magical Warfare 1-12[END]

So, when I originally heard how much people detested this on this forum I expected it to be the shittiest of shit anime. Hearing that, I had no choice but to subject myself to such displeasure. I expected to get mad or frustrated or annoyed or even maybe start swearing profanities by the idiocy. I mean, I've done those things before while watching bad shows, so I guess I kinda had my expectations set as such.

I didn't really get any of that watching this. It was just... sorta boring tbh. :

It was just ugly and always made me wonder why it ever received an anime, same I felt for Sky Wizards Academy. At least Magical Warfare had good ED song and singer

Ah yeah, there's Kaiba, but I really hate its artstyle, it will take some determination to start it. :/ I'll probably watch Katanagatari but maybe not now, 50 minutes episodes will kill me. Booggiepop Phantom seems interesting, a bit old, but I think I'll add it.

Takes some getting used to but it's kinda neat at the same time. First two episodes were a slog for me but the third one was really good. If you do give it a try, see if you can make it there before giving potentially giving up.

Ascheroth

It's sure to be tropey as hell , but it actually sounds interesting. That tracksuit though, Kazuma, is that your brother?

What I've read from the manga was pretty interesting. I'm actually looking forward to this quite a bit, considering the anime should be able to cover what I've read in 3 or 4 episodes, I guess, and then it's new territory, yay.
I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

Clov

Both are great choices (though as noted, Ping-Pong isn't episodic), and Boogiepop Phantom is a great choice as well. I really need to rewatch that one sometime, it's been years!

I'd also recommend both of the Mushishi seasons. though that doesn't quite fit into 'short', even though it's not especially long. It also doesn't quite fit 'core story'; it's almost entirely episodic (there are some episodes that explain who the protagonist is). I think Windy Tales fits your description pretty well. Series like The Tatami Galaxy and Trapeze are few and far between, so it's tough to think of others.

Divine Gate Episode 11
Cd6vc3tW4AAJ-Z2.jpg

Pretty intense episode to finally cover the Aoto plot. I like how they are both based on water and the intense feelings shared. Actually probably up there for one of the best episode overall. Aoto gets to experience all these feelings while we finally learn of the past. His brother tearing up too finally at least shows he isnt *that* crazy and out of touch.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Rakugo 11:

The yakumo melodrama was kind of cheap and not very well executed. I expected better from this show.

Qurupeke

Both are great choices (though as noted, Ping-Pong isn't episodic), and Boogiepop Phantom is a great choice as well. I really need to rewatch that one sometime, it's been years!

I'd also recommend both of the Mushishi seasons. though that doesn't quite fit into 'short', even though it's not especially long. It also doesn't quite fit 'core story'; it's almost entirely episodic (there are some episodes that explain who the protagonist is). I think Windy Tales fits your description pretty well. Series like The Tatami Galaxy and Trapeze are few and far between, so it's tough to think of others.

Mushishi seems pretty cool, and I'll probably watch it some time because I hear about it a lot. I feel that episodic shows are hard for me to binge watch, unless there are not many episodes of them or it's a comedy, that's why I limited my preferences to shorter shows.

About Windy Tales, I don't really like how it looks, but maybe it's good. The story certainly seems interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom