• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Future Card Buddyfight:100 (Hundred) Episode 49
CeFUyHXUsAA4Itm.jpg
CeFUyHTVAAA6l8Z.jpg

A better writing decision would have been to let Ikazuchi do this duel, Yamigedo is really good though.

I guess might sun fighter Gao will win.

JulianImp

Eureka Seven up to #19
Eureka's growing feeling of alienation appears to be all that's been happening for the last couple episodes, which is interesting but at the same time kind of weird since it feels like all other plot lines have nearly come to a halt for its sake besides a couple short scenes here and there, such as the one that introduced the new special forces team that'll probably oppose the gekkou gang directly.

The whole "boy gets ridiculously OP superpowers because he wants to protect the girl he likes" is getting boring though. I get that Renton growing and experiencing love appears to be the main theme of this show, but I wish it wouldn't have had to lean back on the "I wanna protect her!!!1" trope. While some people might want me hung for this, I feel like Eureka slowly getting deprived of all agency is reminding me way too much of Asuna in SAO (even though the rest of E7 is still so much better than SAO that there's no comparing the two). Yeah, she's basically questioning her purpose and rethinking her goals now that Renton has proven he's better at piloting Nirvash than her, but that's where her Rei Ayanamy expy crutch is hurting her the most, since it's like every single feeling out there is alien to her so she just keeps distancing herself from everyone else more and more, creating a negative feedback loop that alienates her even further and makes it even harder for others (especially Renton) to try and reach out to her.

Eureka Seven up to #19
Eureka's growing feeling of alienation appears to be all that's been happening for the last couple episodes, which is interesting but at the same time kind of weird since it feels like all other plot lines have nearly come to a halt for its sake besides a couple short scenes here and there, such as the one that introduced the new special forces team that'll probably oppose the gekkou gang directly.

The whole "boy gets ridiculously OP superpowers because he wants to protect the girl he likes" is getting boring though. I get that Renton growing and experiencing love appears to be the main theme of this show, but I wish it wouldn't have had to lean back on the "I wanna protect her!!!1" trope. While some people might want me hung for this, I feel like Eureka slowly getting deprived of all agency is reminding me way too much of Asuna in SAO (even though the rest of E7 is still so much better than SAO that there's no comparing the two). Yeah, she's basically questioning her purpose and rethinking her goals now that Renton has proven he's better at piloting Nirvash than her, but that's where her Rei Ayanamy expy crutch is hurting her the most, since it's like every single feeling out there is alien to her so she just keeps distancing herself from everyone else more and more, creating a negative feedback loop that alienates her even further and makes it even harder for others (especially Renton) to try and reach out to her.

You won't have to worry about Eureka being deprived of agency in the upcoming episodes. You're very close to the arc where the show really started to hit its stride for me and many others.

Qurupeke

Eureka Seven up to #19

This part was without a doubt the series' low point. I was fine with the drama on their relationship but then they kept dragging it and making Eureka insufferable. Well, the good part of E7 is about to start, so enjoy the rest.

blurr

I'm not sure which episode it starts off but my interest towards E7 reignited from the part where Renton
meets the couple and spends time with them. Very lovely to watch their relationship grow.

JulianImp

You won't have to worry about Eureka being deprived of agency in the upcoming episodes. You're very close to the arc where the show really started to hit its stride for me and many others.

This part was without a doubt the series' low point. I was fine with the drama on their relationship but then they kept dragging it and making Eureka insufferable. Well, the good part of E7 is about to start, so enjoy the rest.

This arc felt like more of a drag than the previous one, but one thing I also noticed is that the little children's characterization is still all over the place. Now they're in an in-between state where they don't prank Renton but they still don't trust him at all either, which is really weird given how they had bonded several episodes ago (and immediately got back to pranking him for the lulz).

Cornbread78

Shirayuki S2 ep.11
deCdiT9.png

Some funny moments, like this one with Kiki. It really is a shame the show won't ship these two, since they are so great together and the show has done nothing but dance around their relationship the entire 2nd season. Mitsu was on right on pointing out that the Shirayuki must choose (or continue to) about her path in life. From the outside it is obvious that she will follow him anywhere, but she has a harem and is pretty strong willed and all, so could they throw us a curve ball here? My question is, does this show really end next week? Is there more source material that can be adapted, or is this manga ongoing?

Cornbread78

The manga us ongoing, and from the spoilers I ran across they probably have enough for more....

Very nice. I wonder where they are with the adaptation, compared to what has already been written. I'm not sure how sales have been so we may or may not get our "anime ending" next week.

Ascheroth

Okada Gundam 18-24

Aaaand caught up. What a ride that was especially the last couple episodes. Death everywhere.
RIP Biscuit, Azee, Lafter, Sino and all you nameless fodder characters : /.
The current battle is pretty uncomfortable to watch and I'm liking that a lot.
Orga is creating his own little cult here, some dangerous thinking going on.
Mika is absolutely ruthless, god damn. It's quite fascinating seeing how much power he actually holds over Tekkadan. He doesn't do it intentionally, but he's constantly escalating Orgas decisions
and now therse is no Biscuit to reign him in a bit anymore.
Kudelia stepping up her game and literally over corpses.
McMask is entertaining. Playing the game on both sides.
Carta ha
d
issues.
Gaelio too pure.
And Ein has become the terminator.
This is not going to end pretty for anyone :/

It's nice seeing this not falling apart, like the initial fears were. Not a fan of the 'Fumitan arc', but overall this has been a very solid and entertaining show with some awesome 2D mecha action,
Now let's see if the final episode next week is going to change my opinion, lol.

HxH 1999 - 11-12

This first insight on Killua's character, in particular his family and assassin's background was better than what we got in 2011. Having that extra character Anita here was quite beneficial. Direction was good as well. Killua looked quite intimidating with those dilated eyes and quickly cutting away from him (at first).

Osomatsu 24

Totoko skits aren't really the best but the second one was really good. I look forward to the punchline next weak.

Koyomimonogatari 11

Such lies.

I'll take Kagenui's sudden disappearance as a sign of her future importance in the final arc and not as "she got offed offscreen" sign.

Cause that would be bad.

Of course. She left because she didn't want to tell Araragi about her relationship with Ononoki. And I don't know of any current character who could even beat her in a fight aside from Oshino Meme or Dramaturgie, and even then

pbayne

Black Jack OVA 1

Can't stress how attractive the character designs are in this. A nice mix between Tezuka and slightly more gritty realism.

Im weak for anything that blends Gothic sensibilities with other stuff so I really dig the atmosphere and visuals of the show. Its a weird thing to say to people act like people in this. Like no one's really exaggerated or gets too emotional over little things, there's a certain dryness to most of the dialogue(which i guess fits the medical lingo). And everyone is very morally grey, even a character I was convinced was a complete dirt bag all of a sudden had moments of gallant heroism.

Also surprised how nihilistic-ally anti-climatic and open-ended the conclusion was. There was no real resolution for most of the events or characters and Hazama didn't really solve the case or save his patient. Like he's a far cry form the maverick doctor that can cure anything that id imagined he'd be.

Osomatsu 24

Totoko-scenes were pretty good, I like her character a lot so I loved the fact that she got some more screentime. that ORA! is just making me hype for JoJo.

I wonder where they'll take the conclusion arc, I'm guessing it keeps being serious, but I like what I've seen so far.

I hope the last ED will be one featuring all the six brothers, that would be a nice note to end things on.

Ascheroth

Durarararararararararararara X2 - 35 or whatever

Hahahaha, everything is falling apart. Mikado is a fucking madman.
Can't wait to see how this is going to end.

Just T

Osomatsu-san: 24

Totoko is horrible but entertaining lol thought her excursion would have lasted a bit longer. As for the second half, yeah that got serious.

Russ T

Banned
What's the anime closest in setting and tone to X-COM (2)? I've got a friend asking, and I can't really think of any suggestions.

Qurupeke

RahXephon 16-20

Some interesting things happened and the plot is finally moving, but the show is still incomprehensible. At least, it doesn't seem to be as close to NGE as I initially thought, the last 10 episodes have made it pretty distinctive. It's not like it's completely different either though. While NGE had the world's worst father, this one has the world's worst mother. At least, Ikari didn't touch his son. Other than that, Episode 19 was a great emotional roller coaster,but it ended quite tragically. Easily the best so far. Also, when the show gives some time to develop a second rate character and gives him a romantic relationship, you know it's a death flag. RIP.

I need more of Mishima Reika, she is the most confusing element in the series. I laughed when she randomly appeared at the Terra HQ. Also, I just realized she is voiced by Maaya Sakamoto, who also does the OP's song, this explains why it's just fantastic. The music on the series is generally pretty good.

Cornbread78

Can anyone help me by adding the text "Mayoiga NeoGAF OT" to this image Probably centered above the bus right below that first cross beam.

jFZrn8k.jpg

(image should be 800x1000)

The show is looking good..

phaze

Arakawa Under the Bridge 05-06
#05, with the new opening, with its Maria&Sister interactions, the heavy cargo joke, P-ko's introduction was probably the best episode yet. Completely enamoured with this show as of now, the already strong source material is elevated even further by great comedic timing and Shaft's usual quirks. But I've to say, the selection of styles they're using for their usual, short art shifts is probably my favourite from all their shows. And not only is the comedy frequently of the laugh out loud quality, even the, so far few, attempts at going for the more serious territory, like with hinting at Nino's past were pretty great. To top it all there is the overarching theme of a man, bound up by the norms of normal society and the slavish need to succeed in everything in life, being taught, by one of the most amazing collection of idiots that I've seen, another way of living.

Episode 5 also featured Chiaki Omigawa emitting sounds that didn't make my ears bleed. If that's not the sign that this show was crafted by Gods themselves than I don't know what is.

I find it simple but effective writing that Ein is doing the exact opposite of what Crank was trying to do all in his name. It makes you hate him that much more for destroying everything the man he respects was about.

I'm not sure how Xcom is, but if EVA is close to it, maybe RahXephon is similar too. Post apocalyptic, alien enemies, there's a human federation in charge of the defense against the threat...

X-Com 2 is more along the lines of Half-Life 2, where humanity got flat out annihilated in an extremely one-sided and rapid manner before they had any time to retaliate and all that is left are small pockets of resistance fighters. They even have genetically engineered human/alien shock troopers. The canonical ending of the X-Com reboot is that you lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom