• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

What even is this show? Looking at the MAL description and the PV doesn't really help me. Death game anime is the only thing I can come up with, but it could be anything I guess.

how good?

Platinum good.

No really though, it has an excellent staff that sounds like it could put together a good mystery/thriller/drama. The PV didn't show much, but that's probably by design. That newest art released kinda hints at looming darkness as well.

Gundam IBO 24

This episode was great. This blonde dude is a trip, just where does his loyalty lie?! And it's pretty sad how many characters we love have died up to this point, I sure hope they manage to finish things off and achieve their goal so their sacrifices weren't in vain. Glad this is getting more episodes, I really enjoyed the show. 1 more to go, many more to come in the future, sounds good to me.

First 3 episodes of Not Attack on Titan were apparently screened in theaters in Japan.

Copied and pasted from that reddit thread:

Viewers Thoughts

1. It's a bit erotic/lewd!
  2. It's fun to see Mumei kills everything
  3. I'm sad because I have to wait until the end of April to keep watching.
  4. Sawano's work is far beyond his average!
  5. A lot of talking
  6. All the female characters look good!
  7. It was scary
  8. I wonder how many people died to animate this
  9. OP and ED don't fit the show
  10. Mixed audience (male and female of all age, not just otaku or fujoshi)
  11. That samurai with a sword is "nippon banzai" at its strongest
  12. You need to watch it in theater!
  13. Why does this TV anime looks so god when a movie like Digimon Tri looks so bad?
  14. Anonymous-chan is super cute!
  15. Attack on Kotetsujou : Kabaneri of the rebellion : Sengoku Basara edition
  16. The tension is high thanks to the music
  17. Beautiful ending
  18. How are they going to maintain this quality until the end?
  19. The story didn't start so far
  20. Music doesn't disappoint
  21. A lot of blood and violence, a bit grotesque
  22. "Japanese-made steam punk proximity fighting ®!"
  23. Script is way better than Valvrave (so far).
  24. I had flashbacks from Guily Crown

Doesn't sound promising. Not that it ever could live up to the original tsktsk!

Sterok

Shirayukihime 23

Mitsuhide knows how to be funny when necessary. Kiki is never not on top form. Shirayuki gets to do her job for once.

Quasar

Installed the AppleTV 4 update that includes voice dictation so you can voice search within apps like crunchyroll.

Total disaster for shows without an english name. My many attempts at searching for chihayafuru or even saki produced gbberish. Total fail siri.

First 3 episodes of Not Attack on Titan were apparently screened in theaters in Japan.

Viewers Thoughts

1. Sawano's work is far beyond his average!
  2. Music doesn't disappoint
  3. I had flashbacks from Guily Crown

Wow sign me up, I was hoping we'd get definitive Sawano and something that feels like Guilty Crown. I had this on a will watch with reservations list but now its a must watch.

Crying hard for Digimon in that one comparison, and is this really 12 episodes if even at ep3 *the story didnt start yet*.

fertygo

Ace of Diamond - 49

Furuya would choke this, right?

man that coach is goddamn moron, am I supposed to sad dude want to gone?

Russ T

Banned
I'm not sure how Xcom is, but if EVA is close to it, maybe RahXephon is similar too. Post apocalyptic, alien enemies, there's a human federation in charge of the defense against the threat...

I was gonna explain it but MPR beat me to it! Damn you MPR.

X-Com 2 is more along the lines of Half-Life 2, where humanity got flat out annihilated in an extremely one-sided and rapid manner before they had any time to retaliate and all that is left are small pockets of resistance fighters. They even have genetically engineered human/alien shock troopers. The canonical ending of the X-Com reboot is that you lost.

If the impressions I read are anything to go by, Fafner seems close.

On a surface level it seems about right! I'll toss it his way, even though I have no idea whether or not it's any good, haha.

Ascheroth

If nothing else, Kabaneris soundtrack is going to be awesome.
It has, what? Opening song by Egoist, ending song by Aimer + Egoist + Sawano and general OST by Sawano. My ears can't wait.

And on that topic.

Haikyuu!! - 22-25 (END)

Finally got around to finish it.
That Hayashi soundtrack. Can't wait for My Hero Academia and Kiznaiver.
The match against Aoba Johsai was intense. Lots of growth and the aftermath was great. Perfect ending spot.
On to season 2!

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 7

Under the sea. I guess mermaids are kind of a secret if no one knows about them. I'm starting to think those taking supplementary lessons are the lucky ones. Did no one think to ask the clams please? Mofurun knows how to put on a show. Ruby transformation was better, but Saphire is still good. Plus it has cooler speed/flight skills. And damn, a wave motion torrent from space. These two don't screw around. Too bad Jun didn't see what was going on. Hopefully it happens before the end.

Grimgar 11

This show has been getting better for me each and every week. Some really cool actions scenes took place this time. Mary finally fulfilled her wish. Now to see if Ranta makes it next week. As much of a little shit as he is, I hope he does.

Dimension W 10

EMC3SCe.png

Damn. I havent seen Mabuchi this pissed. Beast of Grendel is right. And awww at how Kyoma is starting to be nicer to Mira. Great action this episode, from start to finish.

I wonder just how much of Lwai is human? He cant have two brains right?
Either way, Lwai is one of my favorite designs in this show.

Crocodile

Viewers Thoughts

5. A lot of talking
  7. It was scary
  13. Why does this TV anime looks so god when a movie like Digimon Tri looks so bad?
  17. Beautiful ending

Seems like we have a hit for the Western Anime Fanbase on hand. Can't wait to see it on Toonami in 2017!

ibyea

Banned

Viewers Thoughts

5. A lot of talking
  7. It was scary
  17. Beautiful ending

Sounds like antihype for me. ^_^

Osomatsu-san 24

Totoko is as bad trash as the sixtuplets LOL. But wow at the second half, I was not expecting that. All of the brothers seem to have moved on with their lives except for Osomatsu.

Grexeno

It's probably already been posted, but Crunchyroll has Twin Star Exorcists, Anne-Happy, and The Asterisk War Second Season.

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 54

OK, we're getting there. Good tension in everything surrounding Kurapika. Using Gon and company as comic relief was unnecessary, but whatever.

ibyea

Banned
I did a rewatch of Hikaru no Go because my brother started watching it so I watched it along with him. Also I never did finish the last seven episodes. Show is still so good. And it's even better now that I know a lot more about go now. Although I wonder why in my first watch I never noticed how bratty and unlikeable the protagonist was. I am going to chalk it up to me being a grown up now.

HxH 1999 - 11-12

This first insight on Killua's character, in particular his family and assassin's background was better than what we got in 2011. Having that extra character Anita here was quite beneficial. Direction was good as well. Killua looked quite intimidating with those dilated eyes and quickly cutting away from him (at first).

Yes, Anita really raises the stakes for Killua's character and makes his past present. This moment was a good use of visuals to depict Killua's interior battle.

It's even more depressing when considering her life situation along with the cat dying.

Exactly. The cat dying I can take, but if we don't get some kind of hopeful outlook for the girl I'm going to be upset.

Installed the AppleTV 4 update that includes voice dictation so you can voice search within apps like crunchyroll.

Total disaster for shows without an english name. My many attempts at searching for chihayafuru or even saki produced gbberish. Total fail siri.

Man Siri couldnt even find Crunchyroll when I was asking for it. Siri is only good for jokes.

Exactly. The cat dying I can take, but if we don't get some kind of hopeful outlook for the girl I'm going to be upset.

For sure there will be some kind of hopeful outlook. The girl could solve her problems by moving back in with her mom until she gets things together. She was too much pride imo.

Crocodile

We'll probably be saved that fate due to Amazon having it.

IF the show ends up good, I have no qualms with it being on Toonami. Attack on Titan was a bad show but that was because of the execution/writing and production. The premise is fine and could be done well. Is the Attack on Titan anime staff with free reign on the writing/pacing the people to do that? I have no clue - but I'll wait till I see something before I start shitting on the show.

It probably is going to be bad though

Dimension W 11

Awesome info dump episode. Resolved a lot of the plot threads. Damn, I feel so bad for Loser :/
Theres no hope for his wife coming back is there. I just hope Julian at least gets a happy ending, somehow.

That scene in the beginning with Cassidy flying around looked like a Donkey Kong rocket barrel sequence. Hilarious stuff.

Hyped for the next episode. This show has been excellent thus far.

Mailbox

So "Unhappy♪" is apparently gonna be called "Anne Happy" stateside. Because its totally necessary to localize an English word... There isn't even a character named Anne on the show...

I can't tell what's more dumb, this or "When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace".

Edit: just for extra dumb, the manga's english name is apparently "Unhappy Go Lucky!". I'm... i'm just...

Dimension W isn't the best animated show.

Hell there are times when it's almost a powerpoint presentation.

But I really like the art of the show.

Jarmel

Banned

Viewers Thoughts

5. A lot of talking
  7. It was scary
  17. Beautiful ending

Honestly, that sounds fine. That said, Wit will almost certainly fuck it up.

That comment about the OP and ED is kinda interesting as Araki tends to have his theme songs be out there but we've heard both the Egoist/Aimer songs and they sound fine so I wonder if the visuals are trippy.

So "Unhappy♪" is apparently gonna be called "Anne Happy" stateside. Because its totally necessary to localize an English word... There isn't even a character named Anne on the show...

Yes there is. The main character is named Anne. The Japanese title is supposed to be a pun on "unhappy" and her name. The official Twitter account for the anime is @annehappy_anime.

Mailbox

Yes there is. The main character is named Anne. The Japanese title is supposed to be a pun on "unhappy" and her name. The official Twitter account for the anime is @annehappy_anime.

Welp, MAL lied to me again.
It told me that it was "An" being short for "Hanako" or something... No picture there so I couldn't tell which character it was.

I still think the name alteration is dumb.
Edit: my point on Trigger's LN anime still stands, though.

Cornbread78

Otome x Amnesia ep.7-9
How did he really fall in love with the ghost that literally
threw his ass down a set of stairs
This is like a reverse abuse relationship because there is no way things are gonna work out for our boy. I must say, at times the artwork of the scenery can really be stunning, albeit too dark at time, but I'm guessing they do that to match the darker tone show has. Also, in regards to the story.
good Yuuko is already showing signs of being tainted by her bad emotions, wouldn't it make sense to just merge both emotions/ghosts into one, or would that lead to her disappearing as a ghost and moving on?

Welp, MAL lied to me again.
It told me that it was "An" being short for "Hanako" or something... No picture there so I couldn't tell which character it was.

I still think the name change is dumb.
Edit: my point on Trigger's LN anime still stands, though.

It's not a name change; it's the Japanese title directly transliterated into English! You can see this English title on the Japanese website for the anime! And what did you want Trigger's show to be called, "Inou-Battle in the Usually Daze", as the official website has it? There are cases of poorly localized anime titles, but these aren't.

Dimension W isn't the best animated show.

Hell there are times when it's almost a powerpoint presentation.

But I really like the art of the show.

Yeah they get lazy with some of the fight scenes. Like the backgrounds are just some stylized checkerboard wallpapers at times. Its weird.

But I love its art style and character designs. The storyline is a nice departure from the shows I regularly watch.

You'd think how front and centre it is on the ATV that they work on getting it to actually work.

I really hate the remote too. I thought it was super cool during the presentation but that novelty wore of quickly. It could have used a lot more buttons so the user experience wouldnt be so confusing. Picking it up is also an issue sometimes since its so small and thin.

I still use my Xbox One for most of my streaming. Will probably use the ATV more when Game of Thrones start again.

kewlmyc

Osomatsu-san 24

Good overall episode with a lot of growth of all the characters. Can't wait for the conclusion next episode, though I hope they don't make the whole thing one huge punchline that restores the status quo. It'd be a waste to throw this development out of the window.

Quasar

I really hate the remote too. I thought it was super cool during the presentation but that novelty wore of quickly. It could have used a lot more buttons so the user experience wouldnt be so confusing. Picking it up is also an issue sometimes since its so small and thin.

I still use my Xbox One for most of my streaming. Will probably use the ATV more when Game of Thrones start again.

I'm fine with it for the most part. My only issue tends to be holding it upside down in the dark. Maybe having it backlit would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom