• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Does there exist anything similar to Full Metal Panic Fumoffu ? A comedy series with a similar MC (serious, awkward, bad ass), and same style of comedy?

Maybe School Rumble to a degree. Just don't be fooled by the first few episodes. The main character is not the ditzy girl, it is in fact Harima.

He isn't quite the same character as the main character of fumoffu but Serious, awkward and bad ass could easily fit him.

plus it's just a good comedy show in general.

The Monster Musume Anime was more fun than the manga was.
Your lie in april was better as an anime from what I hear.

I can believe that for you lie in april, as the music and animation could only help the predictable story :p

though to be fair I am someone who likes quite a few anime over the manga.

zulux21

Lots of anime adaptations of manga are better than the manga (and the reverse is also true of course). Only blind purists would say otherwise.

yup just like there are plenty of dubs that are as good if not better than the original japanese voices. and plenty of subs that are better than the dubs.

Well I finished the Erased manga...and I somewhat stand by what I said earlier today with the caveat that the last dozen or so chapters are essentially axed or changed around. I assume they just ran out of time? I don't think I've ever seen an adaptation go from doing it better then the manga to all over the place so fast. I dunno what the fuck happened. It's a weird and unique situation where the anime would have been better had they cut MORE and re-emphasized the strong parts...or cut way less at the end there.

The thriller elements definitely feel more coherent and less bad in the manga but still aren't close to the best part and even then Airi still sucks and feels like a pointless addition.

Its been an interesting series to follow but overall pretty disappointed all around. What should have been an easy 9/10 slid down to around a 7/10 in both of the formats. Yes I am aware the last episode hasn't aired but I don't expect anything satisfactory from it.

Oh yeah, ERASED ends tomorrow...

Well, hopefully it'll end on a strong note. It's far from a perfect series to be sure, but I still enjoyed it.

TUSR

Banned
Phantom World 12

Another episode with cohesive plot progression and character development.

Maybe ill do a little write-up on this episode too.

Lerche Animates Magical Girl Raising Project 'Survival Action' TV Anime

The staff for the anime of Asari Endō's Mahō Shōjo Ikusei Keikaku (Magical Girl Raising Project) "survival action" light novel series opened a website for the anime on Thursday. The site revealed the project as a 2016 television anime, and it posted the first promotional video, a visual, and the staff.

Endō's novels are set in a world where a social game called The Magical Girl Raising Project allows one in tens of thousands of people to be a "magical girl" — possessing extraordinary physical capabilities and looks, as well as special magical powers that set them apart from the rest of the human race. But one day, in a district containing 16 magical girls, the administration announces that it must halve the number of magical girls to solve the problem of magical energy. At first, the 16 magical girls race to collect more "magical candy" than their competitors, but the rules quickly become twisted, and it quickly becomes a murderous battle for survival among them.

Uggggggggghhhhh.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is the Divergent to Madoka's Hunger Games.

TUSR

Banned
Next episode of Phantom World should conclude the first LN.

Which ends on a massive cliff hanger.

The preview for episode 13 should be up soon.

The fact that we have yet another Madoka clone is one thing, but what particularly makes me mad about this one is just how obvious it's being with how much it's pushing the "despair" aspect of the show as one of the main selling points.

Like it's afraid nobody will watch it unless there's a promise of magical girls ripping each other to pieces.

At least stuff like WIXOSS had the decency to make their descriptions vague enough.

Your Lie in April - 5

All right episode. An upcoming tournament arc means more performances, which is always a good thing to see in this show.

Selling any show on despair automatically makes me want to avoid it.

Well...save for the upcoming Danganronpa anime.

I'll avoid that one, because it's probably going to be terrible.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What if it's the only way to get Ando to direct Sword of the Stranger 2?

Is this the one where the Ming Emperor himself invades Japan seeking the elixer of immortality and Nananananananashi has to stop his Imperial Majesty with the help of a plucky boy and his dog?

How does the philosopher's stone figure into the plot?

duckroll

Is this the one where the Ming Emperor himself invades Japan seeking the elixer of immortality and Nananananananashi has to stop his Imperial Majesty with the help of a plucky boy and his dog?

How does the philosopher's stone figure into the plot?

That was the first draft. The story's been modified to actually take place in China now, and it's about Nanashi, the kid, and the dog boarding the Trans-Siberian Railway in a race against time to stop the Emperor. The finale is a 3 way battle between Russian spies, the Mongol tribes, and the Chinese army - horseback, train cars, explosions, derailings, and Nanashi kicking ass.

Very nice.
According to WOWOW channel, Mayoiga will air first 2 episodes at April 1(not april fool, it just that day is Thursday which is Mayoiga's on air date.)
迷家 wow 初回 22:00からで1、2話放送

Quasar

Manga readers are never pleased with anime adaptations.

I'm generally OK with manga adaptations...its LN ones where I'm basically never happy. I guess because generally its easier to get close with a manga whereas with a novel they almost always chop out great chunks of stuff that I frequently get annoyed about. Of course there are exceptions even there. I was mostly fine with Harry Potter for instance, and the anime of Oregairu is generally good enough for me.

zulux21

I'm generally OK with manga adaptations...its LN ones where I'm basically never happy. I guess because generally its easier to get close with a manga whereas with a novel they almost always chop out great chunks of stuff that I frequently get annoyed about. Of course there are exceptions even there. I was mostly fine with Harry Potter for instance, and the anime of Oregairu is generally good enough for me.

i've read 2 light novels I own now.
Sword art online - cut out some stuff that makes the world feel more like a video game and overall flows better in the books through the first 2.5 I read. Overall not a bad adaption of the source material though

No game no life - The anime cut a few things that should have been included as shorts, aside from that it did a fine job. I read the first 3 volumes of that thus the whole thing. Thus I would call it a good adaption of the source material.

no game no life 4 will be the next book for me after sword art 3. after that it will either be dungeon or devil is a part timer for me.

Hamst3r

I'm into the ad-lib bits of Tesagure! It's like listening to an animated podcast, wherein 4 Japanese ladies make wordplay puns and giggle themselves to death. I finished the first season and I'm halfway through the second, I like it.

Line_HTX

Myriad Jump Scare Hellsing World 12

That part in the hallway and sneaking up behind Mai freaked me out a little. That was some nightmare fuel jump scare.

To be honest, I've been content with Phantom World being episodic and not expecting any sort of progression, so I'm not sure how I should take this episode setting up for the finale next week.

The gang had their Konosuba :T faces at that weak sunflower phantom, and Koito delivers again in this episode.

What happened to Ruru? I didn't see any injury or contact made, unless I missed something. I thought she was far away and hanging onto Koito??

Chindogg

Myriad Jump Scare Hellsing World 12

That part in the hallway and sneaking up behind Mai freaked me out a little. That was some nightmare fuel jump scare.

To be honest, I've been content with Phantom World being episodic and not expecting any sort of progression, so I'm not sure how I should take this episode setting up for the finale next week.

The gang had their Konosuba :T faces at that weak sunflower phantom, and Koito delivers again in this episode.

What happened to Ruru? I didn't see any injury or contact made, unless I missed something. I thought she was far away and hanging onto Koito??

Theory is that Ruru is a manifestation of Haruhiko's powers. He was always alone and now she's there to keep him company. Him losing his powers = her passing out.

Line_HTX

This is the Divergent to Madoka's Hunger Games.

I never understood the appeal of the Divergent series. Is it some dystopia or something?

Selling any show on despair automatically makes me want to avoid it.

Well...save for the upcoming Danganronpa anime.

I'll avoid that one, because it's probably going to be terrible.

Obligatory "Do you bleed?" soundbite.

Theory is that Ruru is a manifestation of Haruhiko's powers. He was always alone and now she's there to keep him company. Him losing his powers = her passing out.

Hmm... I have not heard of that beforehand and don't know of any evidence to that, unless all that talk about the concept of Phantoms being manifested by one's conciousness, which I can't even attempt to interpret that coherently...

PW 13 Preview: BAH GAWD, THAT WAS A SLOBBERKNOCKER!!

Chindogg

Hmm... I have not heard of that beforehand and don't know of any evidence to that, unless all that talk about the concept of Phantoms being manifested by one's conciousness, which I can't even attempt to interpret that coherently...

PW 13 Preview: BAH GAWD, THAT WAS A SLOBBERKNOCKER!!

To be fair, Ruru's an anime original character. She's not in the LNs.

Jintor

It is hard to please everyone.

I think K-on anime is far better than manga version. Kyoani really go above and beyond with that adaptation

to a lesser extent lucky star. lucky star manga is completely meh. some would say the anime is meh, too, but at least it was memetically meh if so

TUSR

Banned
Phantom World 13 Preview

43qk6zZ.jpg

qpzYBc5.jpg

GqeDZTk.jpg

This is going to get Amagi Brilliant Park'ed

Jex

You mean it's not worth it?
Nah, it's good, but I wouldn't consider it a 'must-watch'.

What I mean by that is that whenever I consider watching a older title I have to weight it against the backlog of all the great anime I haven't seen yet. Is this particular show better than all those truly excellent shows? What would be a better immediate use of my time, etc etc.

Well, I suppose it depends on what other great shows you haven't seen yet that are more worthy of your attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom