• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chindogg

Pretty sure its 13.

There's an OVA too designated as episode 14.

Didn't know we were counting OVAs as episodes now.

Missed that.

I'm only counting it since they're counting it as episode 14. Whether it has anything to do with the story or not remains to be seen.

I only mention it because they've labeled Episode 13 as "Final Episode" which leads me to believe the OVA will just be a throwaway.

I miss ultimatemegax.

Gotcha. It's probably where all the fanservice they left out the last couple of episodes will go.

TUSR

Banned
There's an OVA too designated as episode 14.

Didn't know we were counting OVAs as episodes now.

Missed that.

I'm only counting it since they're counting it as episode 14. Whether it has anything to do with the story or not remains to be seen.

I only mention it because they've labeled Episode 13 as "Final Episode" which leads me to believe the OVA will just be a throwaway.

I miss ultimatemegax.

Thoraxes

Was listening to podcasts on my commute to university today. Was listening to Lore when I noticed that in the latest episode the music at the beginning was a slightly altered version of the main theme in Elfen Lied.

I wonder if anyone else noticed, or if the creator of the podcast had any idea.

I try to forget that I watched Elfen Lied.
RIP Fumoffu
I finally got around to binge watching FMP+Fumoffu last weekend and it was great.

I lost my shit at the Tessa episodes of Fumoffu. (also cause she's the best)

I'll start Second Raid in a couple weeks hopefully.

Just got around to watching today's Phantom World episode. I was pretty enthralled, and it was interesting to see an actual villain. Kind off sad though. Episodes like this prove that the series could have been really exciting instead of just okay.

I never understood the appeal of the Divergent series. Is it some dystopia or something

Divergent is apealing because Tris is really and isnt as cold or out of touch like Katniss. Then it also has Peter who is probably the best character in these type of seeies outside of Newt, Minho, and Thomas in husbandoRunner. Peter is a breath of fresh air, is hilarious, and kind of fun with Caleb who is a nice opposite to ultra outgoing Tris. I love seeing caleb and peter together. Caleb is great too when he has to things outside of his Candor nature. Then also is Jeanine who is best antagonist in the dystopian series love of strong powerful women antagonist. Shes got the best personality of the mix, isnt afraid to use power, is well meaning, and actually someone one almost wants to win.

Divergents just really exciting, well polished in the looks and science, and has great action and adventure. I like it a bit more than Hunger Games.

TUSR

Banned
Kimi no Na wa - New Key Visual
tC5F8Oz.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Gintama 309 spoilers
If you can't decide on a name we'll just go with whatever because it doesn't matter. Vagina.
And here my pure unlewd mind thought it was another Vegeta joke.

Then I remembered how it's spelt (well it went by so fast and I didn't pause (since it was kind of disrupting the mood of the scene to keep doing that) to read so I just saw V something g****)

Cornbread78

:p

I'm actually starting Rosario + vampire season 2 and theres like 3 panty shots in the first 2 minutes

Well, lots of bats in S2, they went the censorship route, which got distrating. Tey should have drawn longer skirts.

Very nice.
According to WOWOW channel, Mayoiga will air first 2 episodes at April 1(not april fool, it just that day is Thursday which is Mayoiga's on air date.)
迷家 wow 初回 22:00からで1、2話放送

So two 22 min episodes back to back? Why not just a 44 min episode like Re:Zero?

Everyone is excited for more Illya this summer.

With you it's always hard to tell where your priorities lie with that show.

Liking parts genuinely. Liking parts ironically. Liking the lewd. Liking the drama when people discuss it's depravity. Liking it when people get banned for the latter and/or posting lewd imagery.

Gotta be the last one with how eager you're to push everyone into commenting on this show while simultaneously being the first to ask for bans.

TUSR

Banned
With you it's always hard to tell where your priorities lie with that show.

Liking parts genuinely. Liking parts ironically. Liking the lewd. Liking the drama when people discuss it's depravity. Liking it when people get banned for the latter and/or posting lewd imagery.

Gotta be the last one with how eager you're to push everyone into commenting on this show while simultaneously being the first to ask for bans.
I genuinely like the show while acknowledging it's faults.

The latter part of 2wei Herz! was good, and I've heard positive things about 3 rei!!

3rei...

As a German I can handwave 2wei because a 2 looks similar to Z.

But 3rei instead of drei/Drei. It's so dumb it may actually make it even better of a title :/

TUSR

Banned
Since we're on the topic of Fate, I've always seen Fate/Zero in recommendation threads and I too have recommended it to friends.

But I never realized how much additional information the viewer needs to understand the whole situation. From the Holy Grail war, to why the Grail is cursed, names mentioned, heroic spirits and how they function, etc.

Unless you just accept the show as is, instead of trying to understand what's going on, it becomes a convoluted mess.

duckroll

That's not really true. It's all explained in a ton of exposistion in the hour long first episode. :p

Not like it's very complex to begin with. Bunch of magicians created a wish granting device. Realized only one of then could use it. So they set up a multi generational deathmatch game with silly rules to determine who uses it.

TUSR

Banned
That's not really true. It's all explained in a ton of exposistion in the hour long first episode. :p

Not like it's very complex to begin with. Bunch of magicians created a wish granting device. Realized only one of then could use it. So they set up a multi generational deathmatch game with silly rules to determine who uses it.
I can't even recall what was covered in the opening exposition. I only brought this up because a friend watched it on my recommendation and he had more questions than I had answers.

Which I can now that I think about it isn't really a valid complaint, because there is always going to be more background information than what an anime can provide without having multiple info dumps like the opening.

The end of Fate/Zero didn't make much sense to me. I don't think it was really explained what the heck this grail is all about.
Was it explained who Angra Mainyu is, and how he came to be and his cursing of the cup?

phaze

The end of Fate/Zero didn't make much sense to me. I don't think it was really explained what the heck this grail is all about.

Still waiting for HF to explain that. ;_;

But I agree with Duckroll, I went to F/Z knowing nothing about the franchise and didn't feel 95 % confused percent of time. The grail being not all it was purported to be was supposed to be and was a twist placed at the very end of the series and not something you were supposed to be aware of. The reasons for this state of things being unexplained in F/Z is my biggest gripe with that ending but then again, it stems from it being a prequel and this being a plot point designed to be resolved in the sequel. (I fucking hope)

I think one thing that bothered me in exposition was that it's common knowledge that there were previous Holy Grail Wars, yet none of the characters deemed it interesting to find out what exactly happened in those and why someone didn't already wish for dominion over the world or something.

Ascheroth

3rei...

As a German I can handwave 2wei because a 2 looks similar to Z.

But 3rei instead of drei/Drei. It's so dumb it may actually make it even better of a title :/

3rei makes it look more like Brei.
Can't wait for 4ier, 5ünf, 6echs, 7ieben, 8cht, 9eun, 10ehn and so on : P

Qurupeke

I wonder if I should continue Dagashi Kashi, or entirely drop it, now that the season is almost over. It doesn't seem that many people here are watching it anymore, or at least, they don't talk much about it.

Cornbread78

I wonder if I should continue Dagashi Kashi, or entirely drop it, now that the season is almost over. It doesn't seem that many people here are watching it anymore, or at least, they don't talk much about it.

Might as well finish the final episode(s) now. Is it multiple cours? I'very been watching it, but the comedy has been so so and there really has been no plot outside of the "candy of the day" episodic approach.

Line_HTX

Gotcha. It's probably where all the fanservice they left out the last couple of episodes will go.

Huh... I probably missed on their OVA announcement or something... I thought 13 would be the final one as well.

jonjonaug

Fate/Zero when written was meant only for people who had read the original work. The idea that it might be people's introduction to Fate wasn't on Urobuchi's mind while he wrote it. It ended up being a great stand alone work, but there's still some "you should know this already" elements to it.

Nah, it's good, but I wouldn't consider it a 'must-watch'.

What I mean by that is that whenever I consider watching a older title I have to weight it against the backlog of all the great anime I haven't seen yet. Is this particular show better than all those truly excellent shows? What would be a better immediate use of my time, etc etc.

Well, I suppose it depends on what other great shows you haven't seen yet that are more worthy of your attention.

Still have a huge backlog of stuff, but I don't really pick which to watch according to their quality. It's more of a "am I feeling X genre or Y this week?". RahXephon sounds a heck of a lot like Eva, so that alone makes me curious to watch it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Still waiting for HF to explain that. ;_;

But I agree with Duckroll, I went to F/Z knowing nothing about the franchise and didn't feel 95 % confused percent of time. The grail being not all it was purported to be was supposed to be and was a twist placed at the very end of the series and not something you were supposed to be aware of. The reasons for this state of things being unexplained in F/Z is my biggest gripe with that ending but then again, it stems from it being a prequel and this being a plot point designed to be resolved in the sequel. (I fucking hope)

I think one thing that bothered me in exposition was that it's common knowledge that there were previous Holy Grail Wars, yet none of the characters deemed it interesting to find out what exactly happened in those and why someone didn't already wish for dominion over the world or something.
I think no one ever win the previous holy grail, since if someone already won, i'm sure someone will mention it.

Rider and Waver were the best part of Fate/Zero and the best episode is episode 11.

Still have a huge backlog of stuff, but I don't really pick which to watch according to their quality. It's more of a "am I feeling X genre or Y this week?". RahXephon sounds a heck of a lot like Eva, so that alone makes me curious to watch it.

I haven't seen RahXephon mostly because of how I've heard it's borrows a lot from Evangelion to the point where it becomes a straight-up rip-off. Given that website I linked before and from what else I've heard, I still have no intention of watching it.

tuffy

I haven't seen RahXephon mostly because of how I've heard it's borrows a lot from Evangelion to the point where it becomes a straight-up rip-off. Given that website I linked before and from what else I've heard, I still have no intention of watching it.
This is not remotely true, and you shouldn't believe everything you read from some site whose purpose is to squeeze out as many trivial parallels as it can. Both shows fit into the same genre and had some similar inspirations (like the aforementioned Raideen), but are very different in terms of plot, characters and conclusion.

Cornbread78

This is not remotely true, and you shouldn't believe everything you read from some site whose purpose is to squeeze out as many trivial parallels as it can. Both shows fit into the same genre and had some similar inspirations (like the aforementioned Raideen), but are very different in terms of plot, characters and conclusion.

In a related note, it's pretty old, but I just say this online:

ADGrUqr.gif

I want to watch Rahxephon primarily because I loved Yamato 2199 episode 14, and duckroll told me I can expect more like that episode in Rahxephon.

Personally, I don't know how I would begin to make a rigorous ranking of all the anime I haven't seen. (I'd have a hard enough time doing it for the anime I have!) So when I decide to watch something, I don't really ask myself "Is this better than everything else I could be watching?" Once you ask that, you open yourself up to wondering if this anime show is better than all the other forms of entertainment you could be partaking in, or if watching a TV show at all is a better use of your time than every other possible activity, and there's no end to questions like those. So I just watch whatever looks good and interesting at the moment, and as long as I'm not feeling I'm wasting my time, I'm happy.

the race to make the most LN-ass LN continues

Who has the lead currently?

I mean I would have given the prize to SAO but then I got ten episodes into Brynhildr in the Darkness and just gave up as it oscillated wildly between a somewhat interesting mystery/scifi show, a terrible harem comedy and a fan service fest. The whiplash will stay with me for days

BluWacky

Zegapain 10th year anniversary project will be announced on AnimeJapan 2016.
http://www.zegapain.net/news/?id=9949
Really hope more than just something like BD-BOX.

But... it's Zegapain. I mean, it ended up being more interesting than it seemed, but it's not like it's some long-remembered cult franchise, is it? It's just another one of Sunrise's post-Eva mecha-angst shows that have disappeared into the vault of time.

Don't get me wrong, when announcements get teased I always want to see more out of it than just a disc release, but I wouldn't have thought Zegapain was going to be ripe for reviving. That said, any excuse for a new Akino Arai OP is a good one!

Qurupeke

I watched Summer Wars, I liked it a lot. It's really easy to see that the Digimon movie was basically an early idea for this. The blu ray also has a second movie (The Girl who leapt through time), I may watch this too sometime.

I checked all the pages on that website when I finished it and there's a lot of points that are just far-fetched. The show has undeniably similarities with NGE but it's not like they're the same thing. And in any case, it's mostly visual similarities, along with some characters, who turned out completely different eventually. You'll notice some of them when you're watching it, but it mostly seems like they're paying homage to NGE, rather than copying it.

You didn't like phaze's attitude towards Eureka 7, but he watched the show and judged it based on his own experience. You've formed a negative opinion on this and you repeat the same thing because of the negative experience some people may had, while it's apparent that there were people here that enjoyed it. At least, please try to watch it before condemning it as nothing more than a rip off.

March Comes in Like a Lion full staff:

Director: Akiyuki Shinbo
Character Design: Nobuhiro Sugiyama (Arakawa Under the Bridge, Nisekoi)
Art Setting: Yasuhiro Nakura (Space Dandy episode 21)
Art Director: Seiki Tamura (Osomatsu-san, Lupin: Fujiko Mine/Jigen's Gravestone)
Sound Director: Toshiki Kameyama (Hidamari Sketch, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei)
Music: Yukari Hashimoto (Osomatsu-san, Penguindrum)
Animation Production: Shaft

rahXephon is pretty great. I prefer NGE just because...well, NGE is a pretty amazing work and I love dissecting it and examining it. But rahXephon is still a great series that doesn't ride on NGE's coat-tails or anything.

It also has a specific episode that destroys me emotionally every time I watch it. Jesus Christ, just thinking about it now is getting me to tear up.

Music: Yukari Hashimoto (Osomatsu-san, Penguindrum)

FUCKING IN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom