• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
The madness begins...

raw

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
FLCL was also an exercise in digital animation right?

So FLCL S2 should be an exercise in CGI and we all know Production IG loves the ol' CGI.

Cornbread78

Using a My Hero Academia voice for a character when the anime has yet to air a gram of a voiced clip of that character is an odd choice. Also couldnt someone other than an Active Raid voice be used, I dont know if most people have watched active raid.

Good points. Those were the defaults from where I got the info from. I'll choose different shows from MAL.

Thank you

Hello everyone. It's my first post here, so I'm kinda nervous as a noob. Haven't been watching anime since a couple years and just recently started with a few shows again. There's so much to choose from and it's hard to even recognize what one will like, phew. But I hope I'll be hanging around here more o/

I started Golden Time four days ago and just finished it. It's one of those shows that make you feel something. So I felt the urge to write here. It's a good show. Not perfect but I enjoyed it. It's no Kokoro Connect or Onegai Teacher where some aspects really hit close but I can recommend it.

Hello everyone. It's my first post here, so I'm kinda nervous as a noob. Haven't been watching anime since a couple years and just recently started with a few shows again. There's so much to choose from and it's hard to even recognize what one will like, phew. But I hope I'll be hanging around here more o/

I started Golden Time four days ago and just finished it. It's one of those shows that make you feel something. So I felt the urge to write here. It's a good show. Not perfect but I enjoyed it. It's no Kokoro Connect or Onegai Teacher where some aspects really hit close but I can recommend it.

If you enjoyed those types of shows that have a focus on characters and growth and development along those lines, I cannot recommend My Teenage Romantic Comedy SNAFU to you enough. I suspect you will find it right up your alley.

pbayne

Welcome. If you like a romance/comedy series set in a college maybe try out Genshiken.

Ascheroth

Can someone take a look at the Mayoiga OT and let me know if anything needs to be fixed/edited:

https://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=191876853

The first sentence of the description feels wrong, but I'm not sure.
"A shady bus tour of young men and women are headed to an elusive village called Nanakimura."

Kodai Sakai: you're missing a period at the end.
Kaoru Sakura: same as above.
Ayaka Shimizu: same.
Yoshiaki Hasegawa: same.
Konomi Tada: same.

You should probably also look if you can find some more prominent roles of some of the VAs (I'm sure barely anyone watched Pupa for example). I'll see if I can find something. Edit: Oh. Never mind. He hasn't voiced anyone else.

Ah, fuck, I just noticed it's a picture...

Welcome!

I second SNAFU.

Qurupeke

I recently watched Golden Time and while I liked it, it could be a lot better if it dropped the drama a bit and didn't try to make the amnesia plot complex. It's worth it though for the university setting. And Kokoro Connect is awesome, glad you like it.

Definitely check out Glasslip.

If you enjoyed those types of shows that have a focus on characters and growth and development along those lines, I cannot recommend My Teenage Romantic Comedy SNAFU to you enough. I suspect you will find it right up your alley.
Welcome. If you like a romance/comedy series set in a college maybe try out Genshiken.
Definitely check out Glasslip.
Thanks for the nice welcome and recommendations folks! I will give them a try.

Cornbread78

Welcome! If you don't mind a little drama, check out Plastic Memories. Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches is also pretty good. Oh Actually, I Am as well.

I'll never understand the mindset of wanting a continuation to a clearly finished work. I mean I understand it from the cynical production point of view which is basically "The Quest for More Money" but from the point of view of a fan? Nah, I'm good. People will say the same stuff as always about the "benefit of the doubt" or how it could be good or how the original series will all exist but that just sounds to me like they've bought into the the production mindset. I have no desire to revisit any of the characters. FLCL is a self contained thing, not a brand. Even if it wasn't a direct continuation I would still feel iffy about it but actually going so far as to make more? That's just a cynical banking on the name itself and what people liked about the original series and it makes me cynical. That'd be like...making a sequel to End of Evangelion (lol). To me it just reeks of Pyramid Head being in Silent Hill Homecoming (thank you for the example Xander Cage.) It doesn't make any sense. It is clearly a move meant to attach a well known part of something in a misguided attempt to bring back faith.

Fuck. That's my rant. Now I know how Nintendoman feels about Rebellion. Maybe I AM jumping the gun but its hard to feel anything but befuddlement and confusion at this point in time. I'm not usually this downtrodden when it comes to anime, this is more like me and video games because I am way more attached to games, and FLCL is at least up there with 'em for me. I'm not going to completely sweep it under the rug now but as it stands FLCL S2/S3 are slightly above the new Berserk anime because at least this could have some merit.

Welcome. You kind of popped in at a time when something big just happened. It's not usually so chaotic.

I can see FLCL as new OVA. But as TV series? Nope.

Surprised Production I.G doing it. Not trigger

Fuck that would be EVEN WORSE.

studyguy

Assuming this doesn't immediately bomb then can I expect then to pull a Cowboy Bebop and literally anything else that blew up on Adult Swim (Champloo, Outlaw Star, etc) prequel/sequel/pre-sequel-prequel/shoehorn? Anything for a grab at some cash if it doesn't flop. Strange times.

ERASED Final

So...I wish I could say this episode ended the series on a high note, but it was just okay.

The whole confrontation between Satoru and the killer, from the plan to catch him, to the "I understand you" bit just felt meaningless. I was bored during it to be honest. The big friendship speech, the scene where they were all kids again, meeting his friend from another life again.

Those parts were all very ehhhh, but not awful.

I'll never understand the mindset of wanting a continuation to a clearly finished work. I mean I understand it from the cynical production point of view which is basically "The Quest for More Money" but from the point of view of a fan? Nah, I'm good. People will say the same stuff as always about the "benefit of the doubt" or how it could be good or how the original series will all exist but that just sounds to me like they've bought into the the production mindset. I have no desire to revisit any of the characters. FLCL is a self contained thing, not a brand. Even if it wasn't a direct continuation I would still feel iffy about it but actually going so far as to make more? That's just a cynical banking on the name itself and what people liked about the original series and it makes me cynical. That'd be like...making a sequel to End of Evangelion (lol). To me it just reeks of Pyramid Head being in Silent Hill Homecoming (thank you for the example Xander Cage.) It doesn't make any sense. It is clearly a move meant to attach a well known part of something in a misguided attempt to bring back faith.

Fuck. That's my rant. Now I know how Nintendoman feels about Rebellion. Maybe I AM jumping the gun but its hard to feel anything but befuddlement and confusion at this point in time. I'm not usually this downtrodden when it comes to anime, this is more like me and video games because I am way more attached to games, and FLCL is at least up there with 'em for me. I'm not going to completely sweep it under the rug now but as it stands FLCL S2/S3 are slightly above the new Berserk anime because at least this could have some merit.

This is pretty much where I'm at. It all feels so cynical and pointless, like all it can do is just sully the original.

I don't think I used to be this cynical about announcements, but after the triple whammy of Eureka Seven AO, Madoka Rebellion and Digimon Adventure tri, I can't help but just look at this with scorn.

FLCL was such a perfect and unique work, and a sequel can't possibly add anything to it. It had a finite end, and there's really no way to do a sequel without harming the original in some way. It's just naked greed for more money, whoring out a beloved title in the hope to extract some extra money from fans.

I'm not sure if I'm more angry at the fact that it exists, or the fact that it's going to work.

FLCL is also like a planetary alignment when it comes to staff, the era and everything surrounding it that compounded into a really amazing work. I guess I would liken it to Chrono Trigger? Which got a sequel...but I didn't play that so whatever.

FLCL S2/S3 - The Fuller House of anime.

Tuck

Erased - END
Solid ending. Seeing all the characters together at the end was really sweet. I figured Airi would show up in the final scene. Tbh I didn't really like her character, and she wasn't super important to the plot, but I am glad they brought her back just to wrap things up.

The confrontation with the teacher was good and played out reasonably well. Maybe a bit hamfisted but whatever. Though its kind of fucked that they only were able to get him on attempted murder. And him thinking about killing himself was a little eh, but sure, I can buy it.

In the end, I think Erased was a great show. It *does* stumble. Quite a bit, and in big ways. The episodes where he goes back to the future the first time were weak. There were stupid details thrown in like the chocolate bar, or the killer using a spray to kill someone. The teacher did not have to be nearly as obvious as they made him. Kenya was far too smart.

But I think the highs outweigh the lows. Seeing the kids interact with each other was wonderful, and they way the story went in the last part (With Satoru being asleep for 14 years) was surprising, and led to even more great scenes. Even when the show was stumbling, I loved watching it, and that counts for something.

Definitely one of the better anime I've watched, and one that I'll remember. Flaws and all.

If you have some other shows you really liked or genres you prefer, feel free to mention them as well, we'll probably have some recommendations : P

Shouwa Genroku Rakugu Shinjuu is one of the best anime in a long time.

Dunno your tastes, but you might also check out the short Ochiete! Galko-chan. If you like the first episode somewhat, it just gets better along the way.

Quasar

Erased 12 - Really quite liked the end. Pretty solid. And really for the most part my only issue with the show was the lack of candidates in terms of the killer. If they had had some more options in there I'd be happier with the 'who could be the killer' part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom