• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

Tadashi Hiramatsu on FLCL - English GAiNAX Network Systems said:
In the first half of the 20th Century, a movement arose to overthrow what had up to that time been standard techniques of classical music, to wit, melody, rhythm, and tune, because they were in the way of creating anything new. So what about the field of graphics? What about Japanese animation? Will FLCL become an anime for the 21st Century, one freed from the various conventions of anime?
http://web.archive.org/web/20040803043022/http://www.gainax.co.jp/flcl/staff/index-e.html

And is this now the answer? Resorting to one usual convention in the form of a continuous retreading? A project that was born with a clear and fulfilling purpose of working on new procedures and with new tools for the nascent digital era of animation, and a creative spark that took advantage of such leeway as a unique one-off opportunity. What exactly remains or can be salvaged from all that when so many things have changed and people involved has moved on? What is the point this time?

SO if FLCL was a metaphor of going through puberty, what will a show 15 years later be? The crushing disappointment of being an office worker?

Crocodile

Fuck it, bring on more FLCL. I will agree with the consensus that its likely to not live up to the original and that its an obvious cash grab but I'm not going to proclaim it DOA with so little information available. If it's bad ah well and if it turns out great then sweet <3

I guess America ran out of their own properties to rehash and has decided to look abroad with their barrel scraper.

Maybe it's FLCL the next generation.

ayyyyy lmao

I think I made that exact wish. God fucking damn it. God damn it.

latest

Finally extracted this from the page:

Danganronpa 3 Characters!

What the fuck at the black guy? C'mon Japan :/

Looks like you got your wish, Crocodile!

Jarmel is the one with the monkey paw not me :p

To be fair, unless this is a complete turd, this is probably going to be super popular and make tons of money. Again, this was an obvious cash grab and didn't need to be made as the original stood on its own well enough but I'll remain optimistic for now.

FLCL is also like a planetary alignment when it comes to staff, the era and everything surrounding it that compounded into a really amazing work. I guess I would liken it to Chrono Trigger? Which got a sequel...but I didn't play that so whatever.

FLCL S2/S3 - The Fuller House of anime.

This is not a bad analogy. Chrono Cross was actually a good game even if it was worse than Chrono Trigger in almost every way. With all that being said, if Chrono Break or whatever got announced and was to be a sequel to the other games, I'd by hyped as shit even if I knew it likely wouldn't touch Chrono Trigger in quality.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
FLCL 2 will clearly be an experimental VR anime in purely 3D environments.

I don't know if people saw this but on crunchy they describe the story like this

Turner describes the project
Created in 2000, FLCL told the tale of Naota, a 12-year-old boy who met a woman that would forever change his life…whether he liked it or not.
In the new season of FLCL, many years have passed since Naota and Haruhara Haruko shared their adventure together. Meanwhile, the war between the two entities known as Medical Mechanica and Fraternity rages across the galaxy. Enter Hidomi, a young teenaged girl who believes there is nothing amazing to expect from her average life, until one day when a new teacher named Haruko arrives at her school. Soon enough, Medical Mechanica is attacking her town and Hidomi discovers a secret within her that could save everyone, a secret that only Haruko can unlock.

But why did Haruko return to Earth?
What happened to her Rickenbacker 4001 she left with Naota?
And where did the human-type robot ‘Canti’ go?

here's the link
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/03/24/adult-swim-orders-new-seasons-of-flcl-anime

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gintama 315

So I had already read this arc's ending, but I was still moved by the way the anime just pulls out the same "sad thing is happening" song whenever something sentimental happens. It's crazy though, more is "happening" now in the series than in probably the history of the show. Like all those serious arcs before had what is basically static character and plot development, where things change but not really (like did anything really happen after Four Devas or Yoshiwara?) but these last two arcs basically change the entire complexion of the series.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040803043022/http://www.gainax.co.jp/flcl/staff/index-e.html

And is this now the answer? Resorting to one usual convention in the form of a continuous retreading? A project that was born with a clear and fulfilling purpose of working on new procedures and with new tools for the nascent digital era of animation, and a creative spark that took advantage of such leeway as a unique one-off opportunity. What exactly remains or can be salvaged from all that when so many things have changed and people involved has moved on? What is the point this time?

I suspect the point is that Toonami knows there are many lapsed anime fans who will only pay attention to anime if it is a property they watched many years ago and have fond memories of. People like this, in short. Toonami wants to pull in people like that so they can expand their market and become more profitable.

javac

Why is all I can say in regards to more FLCL, I won't even bother checking it out and I love FLCL, even have the super rare Canti figure on my desk.

Aria is the best anime and is available here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gg2GM-HGfE
(Well, it's my favourite show. I think almost everyone here thinks it is "boring". lol)

I don't think "boring" is the main problem with Aria; it's that it's a Hallmark greeting card world with obnoxiously cloying sentimentality. Even as a piece of relaxing atmosphere, it fails to be as good as, say, the best episodes of Non Non Biyori.

I didnt really "get" FLCL but I did enjoy it so I'm definitely happy about S2 and S3.

But if,

and only if,

The Pillows make a return as well.

Jarmel

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171598316&postcount=5473 said:
Please god. The sooner we get these EVA movies over with, the sooner Khara can do something good again.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171598316&postcount=5473 said:
You know, something Anime Expo and the Animator Expo has reinforced for me is that I can't wait till these damn Rebuild Eva movies are done with. So many super animators have been working on this shit for over a decade at this point and I want to see Tsurumaki direct another TV anime before I turn 40.

Also that Khara is wordplay for color.
MuzkS5Z.jpg

This fucking industry.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think "boring" is the main problem with Aria; it's that it's a Hallmark greeting card world with obnoxiously cloying sentimentality. Even as a piece of relaxing atmosphere, it fails to be as good as, say, the best episodes of Non Non Biyori.
Aria, for me, is the complete package. A positive utopian science fiction story with good writing, interesting world building (even if it's just space Venice) and the perfect music. But sure, every episode is basically Akari crying happily over some mono no aware life lesson. (Which, for me is also sentimental since it was how I was introduced to the concept in the first place)

rrvv

Tamayura is better Junichi Sato works by mile compare to Aria. Thought Aria obviously have much more interesting setting

Aki-at

FLCL getting a third season before a second season is a confirmed success is what gets me heh.

(I'd rather like more Trigun or a closer adaptation to the manga.)

ERASED - 12

There was just so much that I could say that was wrong but
screw it, the ending scenes got to me, I love it when shows instead of giving a regular ending credits use it as an epilogue. I'm glad Airi made a final appearance, my favourite moment of the ending.

Overall a very flawed series, but the highs were great and I loved the show when it reached them but in the end the cons did definitely drag it down. Won't hide the fact it was sweet
just to see every character appear in the end.

Assassination Classroom S2 - 12

One of my favourite moments from the manga and I was worried they were going to rush it, but thankfully it's been turned into a two parter.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamayura is better Junichi Sato works by mile compare to Aria. Thought Aria obviously have much more interesting setting
I'm kind of mixed, because Tamayura relies on the "crutch" of a dead parent to essentially motivate the entire series. Aria is literally about the joy of being an immigrant to a wondrous and literally unbelievable world. It's a show with essentially no conflict, and there's something kind of amazing about telling a story that violates one of storytelling's most basic rules.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Way down deep in the middle of the Congo, A hippo took an apricot, a guava and a mango. He stuck it with the others and he danced a dainty tango. The rhino said, "I know... we'll call it Um Bongo!" Um Bongo, Um Bongo, they drink it in the Congo! The python picked the passion-fruit, The marmoset the mandarine, the parrot painted packets that the whole caboodle landed in. So when it comes to sun and fun and goodness in the jungle, they all prefer the sunny, funny one they call Um Bongo!

Crocodile

Yes. If it succeeds then Watanabe will make a Cowboy Bebop sequel where Spike lived so he can have more wacky adventures, and Ed is grown up now.

FUND IT!

JYAVWj7.gif

Nah I'm kidding. I'd love some more Watanabe stuff though. I've loved everything he's been involved with I've seen except Terror in Resonance (fuck Five!).

Squishy3

Yes. If it succeeds then Watanabe will make a Cowboy Bebop sequel where Spike lived so he can have more wacky adventures, and Ed is grown up now.
But Space Dandy already encompasses all the parts of Cowboy Bebop that aren't related to Vicious

people would want cowboy bebop to have something akin to that arc again and it's the worst part, more refrigerator mold monsters and searching for a betamax player to find out a character's backstory, less dumb villain. or the creepy cult episode, that's good too

From what I've seen, I would agree that Tamayura is superior. It has better backgrounds, always important for atmosphere, and Fuu's deceased father gives it a more sincere emotional core. Aria feels artificial and manufactured.

I would totally take a sequel to Cowboy Bebop that was a midequel just showing more of the wacky adventures the Bebop went on before the original finale. I'd watch a never ending amount of seasons of Bebop that had more adventures of Spike and the gang.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
All we need to do is show Sword of the Stranger on Toonami then we'll get the sequel funded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom