• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

FLCL sequel sounds like an awful idea. Then again, I spent years thinking the same about a Gunbuster sequel and how wrong I was to doubt.

Cornbread78

Special A ep.20-END
Entertaining with good comedy throughout the entire series. The romance aspect finally moved forward, but definitely not until the very end. It was a pretty cure moment, but definitely not where you would think it would progress to. At least we got some good shipping with the supporting cast that was fun and interesting to follow as well. All in all, not bad for a classic romcom and can definitely scratch thar itch, but like most, don't expect too much relationship development past a few pretty well done and "cute" scenes.

Erased 12

honestly the ending was solid enough can't have complaints.

But I was laughing uncontrollably for like 4 minutes at the fact that after all of his inspiration from his life, and the
scholarly look he has at the end, and the manga he makes is this generic ass shonen action looking motherfucker
lmao. Like why.

Just T

Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu: 12

Well things wrapped up nicely in this one, its still not good overall and don't want a second season but at least it had a nice finale.

Honestly, disregarding that the very basic idea of a FLCL sequel might be really flawed, so far the information looks to be potentially hopeful at least? At least they're trying to get everyone together and nothing disastrous is confirmed. Whether they succeed in getting the right staff is open, which is better than having already failed to do so.

More UtaPri coming this fall (s4), I cant wait. I wonder if it too will join the top 5 best selling anime of the year list like UtaPri did.

Utapri Maji Love Legend Star
CeWvYJeUsAMl11x.jpg

Kizu Part 1 BD 7/27

Honestly, disregarding that the very basic idea of a FLCL sequel might be really flawed, so far the information looks to be potentially hopeful at least? At least they're trying to get everyone together and nothing disastrous is confirmed. Whether they succeed in getting the right staff is open, which is better than having already failed to do so.

I *hope* it is good (even being harsh on something, I never want something to fail out of spite*) but its got a long fight ahead of it for me.

Erased (Finale)

Wow, that was actually...a solid and happy ending? I was expecting the worst but this show wrapped up pretty well.

I guess this is the new timeline? Though that butterfly in the end made it seem like another revival was in the works. I'm glad Satoru was able to become successful and have his core group of friends. Dude even gets reunited with Airi at the end there, which was sweet. I guess thats the official ship.

lol at how Satoru used talk-no-jutsu to get Yashiro. Glad he started to rely on others instead of doing it solo.

The first 4 episodes were legendary and though the rest of the series never reached those heights again, I loved this show.

i know nothing about this but I assume it's anime about a girl living with musical geniuses?

Here is the premise:

The story follows high school students Kanae and Sōsuke, who live in a provincial town that is trying to revitalize itself with music. One day, suddenly "Classicaloid" versions of Beethoven and Mozart appear in front of Kanae and Sōsuke. When the suspicious-looking Classicaloids play music they call "mujik," it has a strange power: stars start to fall, and giant robots appear. Now every day is tumultuous. Eventually, more Classicaloids start to appear such as Bach, Chopin, and Schubert. What is the great power that the Classicaloids have? Are they friends or foe to humanity?

This is Beethoven and Mozart in the key visual here:

Jarmel

Banned
They showed it off at Anime Expo last year and pretty much said it was off the walls in that the super powers could summon or create pretty much anything.

Shergal

Everything seems disastrous though, from Tsurumaki being merely a consultor to the actual synopsis that places emphasis on irrelevant plot details showing that the dudes behind this don't understand what gives value to the original.

And the random-ass director and scriptwriter they put out are anything but hopeful.

Aki-at

I don't what type of dark magic the Pokemon XYZ team is using to give us animation quality like this...and this on a weekly basis.

But they need to share it with the rest of industry.

I remember seeing a fight between a Sceptile and Greninja and would have probably enjoyed watching it for some of the animations.

Shame I don't like Ash or Pikachu so that rules out me viewing it.

Everything seems disastrous though, from Tsurumaki being merely a consultor to the actual synopsis that places emphasis on irrelevant plot details showing that the dudes behind this don't understand what gives value to the original.

And the random-ass director and scriptwriter they put out are anything but hopeful.

Well hosann said it's unlikely that director is actually going to be the primary one when he's from live action. That's why I'm saying hope isn't lost, yet. (again, if you disregard the existence of such sequels to begin with)

Cornbread78

Love Hina ep.6
This stowaway episode was kind of fun to watch, although I could have done without the "try-hard" romantic stuff with the MC. At least we got a good yuri kiss with the heroine in there and that same dirty girl kissed the MC as well just because. Good stuff to make me laugh at least.

God, why are Crunchyroll so terrible? I've tried every browser, OpenDNS/Google DNS, everything, it still takes about 15 refreshes to hit a good server, and god forbid I ever want to watch two episodes in a row. It's insane that they've had this problem for years, and it's gotten much worse for me over the past few months. It's pretty much impossible to marathon a series, all I'm using the site for now is to catch up on Erased, and even then I'd probably enjoy jumping out of a window more than trying to get the damn video to play properly.

Clov

I don't think "boring" is the main problem with Aria; it's that it's a Hallmark greeting card world with obnoxiously cloying sentimentality. Even as a piece of relaxing atmosphere, it fails to be as good as, say, the best episodes of Non Non Biyori.

Personally I disagree with that. While it's true that Aria is very... pleasant, I've always found that its best episodes were the ones focused on the mysteries of their world (the fox spirits, cat kingdom, etc). It's these strange little things that aren't fully explained, yet entirely accepted that really warm me up to Aria. I also find that as relaxing as Non Non Biyori is, it fails to be quite as relaxing as Aria due to a higher focus on comedy. This isn't to say that Non Non Biyori is entirely focused on comedy; it's certainly not, and it's the little day to day moments that really make the show special, but at least to me Aria is unlikely to be beat in this category. It has a calm, mysterious sort of atmosphere in its best episodes, and I find that more appealing.

duckroll

Huh. Toonami is making more FLCL, with IG, but the director and writer aren't even anime people. Interesting. But like with Psycho-Pass, they'll probably need an actual director for the animation production process. Wonder who at IG is going to draw the short straw for this totally unneeded sequel cash-in.

Jarmel

Banned
Huh. Toonami is making more FLCL, with IG, but the director and writer aren't even anime people. Interesting. But like with Psycho-Pass, they'll probably need an actual director for the animation production process. Wonder who at IG is going to draw the short straw for this totally unneeded sequel cash-in.

It'll be Shiotani.

Active Raid 12 (End)

That was fun. Kind of blew it with having the "every Oscar deployed" in the previous episode instead of this one, but the final fight was still pretty good. AOTS for me, although I don't know whether that reflects badly on my own tastes or the season as a whole. Aside from a few misteps (that "poker" episode), it was a nice watch.

Glad this has another season planned, a few loose threads to pick up. I hope Kyoukai-san actually gets an episode in that one too.

Personally I disagree with that. While it's true that Aria is very... pleasant, I've always found that its best episodes were the ones focused on the mysteries of their world (the fox spirits, cat kingdom, etc). It's these strange little things that aren't fully explained, yet entirely accepted that really warm me up to Aria. I also find that as relaxing as Non Non Biyori is, it fails to be quite as relaxing as Aria due to a higher focus on comedy. This isn't to say that Non Non Biyori is entirely focused on comedy; it's certainly not, and it's the little day to day moments that really make the show special, but at least to me Aria is unlikely to be beat in this category. It has a calm, mysterious sort of atmosphere in its best episodes, and I find that more appealing.

That's why I said the best episodes; Non Non Biyori certainly isn't consistent in its mood, but its best parts are really good.

At any rate, maybe if I rewatch Aria or watch the second/third seasons sometime I'll change my mind, but when I watched the first season I had great difficulty getting into it.

Haikyuu - 16

Very nice episode that focuses on the losers' perspective. I particularly appreciated how they showed the girl's teams loss parallel.

So from ep9 or 10 upwards there wasn't a single moment that was too melodramatic for my taste, so I've been really enjoying it. The team has a really compelling lineup of characters. Now it's time to dive into the first real match. I anticipate some crazy-ass animation sequences. The 2 or 3 times it happened so far were hype when it wasn't even a high stakes game yet :eek:

Clov

That's why I said the best episodes; Non Non Biyori certainly isn't consistent in its mood, but its best parts are really good.

At any rate, maybe if I rewatch Aria or watch the second/third seasons sometime I'll change my mind, but when I watched the first season I had great difficulty getting into it.

While it's been a long time since I've watched Aria, the second season is definitely my favorite. I'm not sure how much you'd like it if you weren't able to enjoy the first season, but I absolutely loved the bigger focus on the world of Aria in season two. Season three focuses more on the characters again.

Prince of Stride Alternative 12 END

The last episode was more exciting - that was really the climax of the character drama going on, while this is more like a capstone. But it was a pleasant capstone, which summed up the themes of the series and brought things full circle back to the opening episode. It was a cyclic but forward-moving ending, cheesy but appropriate. The last run between Riku and Tomoe felt like a "winning or losing isn't the point; it's all about enjoying the race" message, which I can appreciate. It's nice to see that, for as messy as Erased got, Taku Kishimoto can still write good scripts.

The music and sound direction remained the strongest part of the series. Will definitely be looking into the soundtrack when that's released. Ishizuka's direction was fitting for the material, and I can say for sure now that this is the first of her shows and the first otome game adaptation that I like. Which counts for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom