• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frontwing's VN Island TV anime announced.
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/244/1244405/

Game official site(it's all-age VN don't worry)
http://never-island.com/

Urajima, an island far from the mainland. The people who live there lead carefree lives. But five years ago, the island's three great families suffered a series of misfortunes, and succumbed to suspicion. The people of the island cut off all contact with the mainland, and began a slow decline. The key to saving the island lies in three girls who belong to the three families. But they are bound by old traditions, and are conflicted. On that island, a lone man washes ashore. The man claims to be from the future, and he begins a solitary struggle to change the island's fate.
R8CrrKe.jpg

javac

Okay so to follow up on my previous impressions, I'm liking this show a lot more now after watching two more episodes. One might say that I was a little harsh on the first episode; however I do stand by my feelings towards it but it will be fun to go back to it retrospectively once it’s all said and done. I will say that even though I hated the first episode, it was apparent that the soundtrack was great and after watching two more episodes it's safe to say that the soundtrack and audio are indeed sublime in The Tatami Galaxy. Likewise, the animation and art-style can only be described as inspired and stylish. A myriad of live action shots find their way into the show and they work to add a lot of flair to this already visually striking series. This is to say that I’m liking the way that this series both looks and loving the way that it sounds. People who know me know that I’m a sucker for unique visuals, be it the Yuasa directed Ping Pong or the various experimental shorts in Robot Carnival or even the divisive rotoscoping that was utilised in Aku no Hana and so I feel right at home here.
Now with that bit of praise out of the way I’ll follow up on one of the main issues that I had with the first episode, the dialogue. Going hand in hand with my praise regarding the audio I have no qualms with the voice cast but rather that speed at which the script is delivered by the main character during many segments. It’s a deliberate choice to be clear, and the notion that the viewer isn't necessarily supposed to digest every single word is plausible however it felt at odds with the beautiful visuals that I couldn’t enjoy due to the need to keep my eyes glued to the bit of white text at the bottom of the screen. To follow up on this I have to say that I've found myself acclimated to the fast dialogue, at least just a little bit. I still do believe some moments could be a little slower and I now found myself often reading ahead of the dialogue in order to compensate but I got more used to it by the end and can only see myself getting more used to it as each episode progresses.
I wasn't a fan of the character designs during the first episode but have since warmed up to them and by doing so I've found appreciation for characters like Ozu who I hated at first but now find him pretty funny, particularly the way he looks as well as his mannerisms. The repeating nature of the series thus far works in its favour too as you the viewer become more acclimated to the visual style and the repeated jokes that often evolve as the episodes go by adding personality to the cast.
I find that the pacing is a lot better during these two episodes too, and whilst I couldn't wait for the first episode to be over and done with I found that these episodes went by a lot quicker than I expected. As I mentioned prior, a few of the jokes got a little giggle out of me here and there as opposed to the completely dry first episode and I'm having a bit of fun with the show now. I have to also make note of a few of the visual transitions that grabbed my attention. It’s not as apparent as Ping Pong off the bat, a show riddled with unique camera angles and clever transitions but the talent is apparent when watching The Tatami Galaxy and there’s a thought behind each shot and the way in which they are framed.
Do I love the show? No, I wouldn't go that far but I am enjoying myself a little more than I was at first. The repeating nature of the series lends itself to the show being watched an episode or two a day and so I'll refrain from blowing through it all in one fell swoop although I will admit that after episode 3 I wouldn't have minded watching a little more which is always a good sign.

Just T

Assassination Classroom 2nd Season: 12

Some nice feel good vibes from Class E's victory until the Principle decided to come through with the bitterness smh, he did his son wrong too.

Assassination Classroom S2 12

It's funny to once again see and reconfirm (since I have a new translation) that Karma did indeed actually NOT get the last problem right. He's on the right track, far more than Asano whose work is pure garbage to anyone even remotely understanding such a problem, but Karma still ignored a crucial fact: In any crystal structure, there is void space. Because of this, the volume of the atoms in a unit cell is slightly less than the volume of the cube. So while he's correct that half of the total volume of atoms is represented by the whole atom at the center, he's wrong about the actual answer.

You can look up the actual volume of atoms in any type of crystal structure. I don't remember the actual answer off the top of my head, and while solving it is actually pretty simple, I don't really feel like doing the work

Quasar

Tamayura is better Junichi Sato works by mile compare to Aria. Thought Aria obviously have much more interesting setting

Certainly I think so, with Tamayura being a favourite whilst I failed to get past 2 or 3 episodes in Aria. Though maybe I just didn't given Aria enough of a fair shake.

I actually really like Tamayuras setting though and would like to visit the place its based on (Takehara). Maybe that's because we've spent so long in one little town that it feels quite familiar.

From the New World 1

CeXiqktWEAABsLq.jpg

I may not be too fond of the character designs, but the clothing design is ace.

Coming back to this now, I can see a lot of the same techniques Ishihama used in Garokawa. Multi-plane camera, fades to black, dark horror imagery,
middling character designs
, it's all there. It's not carried to as much excess here though, and the narrative is stronger such that the imagery can be effective. I like how this episode introduces us to a world with its own rules and mysteries without sitting us down for explanations. Saki entering her new school would have been a good excuse to dump some exposition about the structure and history of the society, but instead we just get overheard snippets and fragmentary rumors.

But wow, is the editing fast, almost to the point of becoming spastic. It reminds me of some of the faster "Shaft style" episodes, the way it quickly cuts from one image to another. It's got a fairly spooky, off-kilter atmosphere, helped by the constant music, but at the same time it feels like the show's got ADD, kind of like Ishihama's Erased ED. I'd prefer a little more lingering in places, taking time to let the fear and tension soak in slowly rather than speeding along to the next scene. If there's a deliberate build-up, that would make quick cuts entering in at a narrative climax more effective.

At any rate, considering the mixed reception of this series, I'll be curious to see how it pans out.

Mailbox

Rosario + Vampire season 2 episode 5

I... I'm not the only one who thinks this episode is offensive to Indian people, right?
I mean, holy shit the amount of stereotyping is kinda surprising. wow

Also, is there an anime that has more panty shots than this season? There are so damn many.

Narag

I... I'm not the only one who thinks this episode is offensive to Indian people, right?

Also, is there an anime that has more panty shots than this season? There are so damn many.

MEi177T.jpg

I'm dying that someone actually put that shit on a fucking bar graph. God please tell me that some high school Anime club member brought that presentation into a meeting with PowerPoint transition effects and everything.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Erased

My wife spent 2/3 of the episode being salty that Kayo got married while Satoru was in a coma. Then she spent the last 1/3 demanding Airi show up and hook up with Satoru. At the end she asks

Her: "so does he get together with Airi?"
Me: "I dunno, it ended ambiguously on purpose. Besides, Airi's like 10 years younger than him.
Her: "So? She's legal."
Me: "...awkward."

OceanBlue

Narag

What qualifies as a "True Pantyshot?"
I'm dying that someone actually put that shit on a fucking bar graph. God please tell me that some high school Anime club member brought that presentation into a meeting with PowerPoint transition effects and everything.

It's part of a larger .pdf that might be lost to the ether, might not. Remnants exist though.

This guide covers pantyshots of 11 Sailor senshi (Inner, Outer, Chibiusa, Chibi Chibi) appearing in "Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon" anime series.

Pantyshots were screencapped by scenes. If pantyshot appeared in one frame, or in several frames without motion, it was recorded as one picture; if it appeared in several frames with motion, revealing different areas of panties, it was recorded as a series of captioned frames (to the maximum of six frames), side by side to show the animation. If pantyshot animation sequence was interrupted by camera showing a different scene, and then returning to the same character and showing the pantyshot again, it was treated as one pantyshot instance if camera returned to the same frame and the character didn't change the pose (e.g., pantyshot instance 023b interrupted by camera showing Nephrite, but then returning to Usagi still sitting in the same pose); if after the interruption character changed the pose, or camera showed them from a different angle (distance), it was treated as a separate pantyshot instance (e.g., instances 023a and 023b – in the first one Usagi is flying after being attacked by Nephrite, and in another she is sitting on the ground and camera giving a closer view).

All pantyshots are enumerated according to episodes (movies) they originate from. If there was more than one pantyshot per episode, they were enumerated by adding a letter to the end (A, B, C, etc.). Also, all pantyshots are marked by a letter in parenthesis to denote the kind of pantyshot: (f) – sailor fuku; (s) – sportswear (episode 039 only); (t) – true panties (as opposed to sailor fuku and sportswear). Special episodes (SuperS special (3 episodes combined), Ami-chan no hatsu koi, Make Up

Narag

People will catalog every panty shot in a 200 episode series but no one wants to help me start the anime shirts wiki smh

The trick is actually starting it then advertising it. Once there's awareness, people will think of it when they see anime shirts and may even update it for you.

Erased 2-12

This is the first anime in a while that I kept up with on a weekly basis; I'm not ashamed to admit that I decided to watch it because all the hype surrounding it and so many people telling me to watch it. Having finished it I'm glad that I stuck with it. The animation was movie quality for every episode, and the decision to letterbox it help set up the cinematic feel. This show had a knack of setting up suspenseful scenarios that rival some of my favorite American shows. Even with it's fantasy-esque plotline it was a very down to Earth show that relied on the strong writing of its characters. As for the mystery part of the show, I like everyone else saw the ending coming a mile away, but everything else was so strong that I didn't mind a poor mystery aspect. 10/10

Line_HTX

Erased 12 END

Final episode dialogue sort of dragged a little, but by the end it seems almost everything was wrapped up in a satisfactory manner, predictable as it is. I'm glad things worked out and justice was served.

Overall, this was more suspense than actual mystery since the latter could be easily figured out early on. I enjoyed watching the show, but there's no denying the middle parts were pretty bad in its execution. I also wish there were more red herrings to not have the mystery be so obvious.

I liked how the title of the OP "Re: Re:" was written under the bridge. And lo and behold, a trustworthy friend gets reacquainted in a different time with everything else taken care of, haha

I almost couldn't recognize two of the other girls at the bar besides Kayo. Which one was which?

Despite its problems, it's a good enough show to watch. Thanks, A-1 Pictures. Thanks, SAO director.

Chindogg

To be fair, the entire series is basically a long string of stereotypes and ecchi moments. Not even the manga was as brazen.

Quasar

I don't remember any indians in it. Hell has there been any in any anime ever?

Mailbox

I don't remember any indians in it. Hell has there been any in any anime ever?

No joke, episode 5 of the second season is all curry and Indian stereotypes.
It was just so blatant and in your face that it took me aback a bit.

The creativity in the panty shots is something I'm enjoying though. There have been so many shots where a skirt has just been blown up for no good reason and sometimes its actually a surprise. Sometimes its not even low angles. Its just... did they meet and figure out the most weird ways to get panty shots? I wanna know how that meeting went.

Obviously not enough to make a shirt wiki.

of course not, that takes time and effort.
I'm far too lazy for something like that :p

Thoraxes

I hope they do the US release near simultaneous. I'll pay all the money for it. AoA has been pretty timely with some of those releases. The P3 BDs from them (imports) have been near day and date with the JP releases.
Classicaloid PV.

I hope the show has better music arrangements, but otherwise it looks pretty interesting.
Yeah I hear you on the arrangements. I like that they made Mozart look like the joker he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom