• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I'm finally seeing the Psycho-Pass film.
Okay, who the fuck thought it'd be a great idea to dub half of it in the worst engrish i've seen put to golden screen?
Seriously, what the fuck.

KraytarJ

Konosuba 2-7
I think what helps make this season so great is how the show is just leaning into its characters being terrible people, as evidenced by when Megumin sees Aqua and Kazuma acting cordial to each other she freaks the fuck out. Then there's Yunyun's continuing quest to try to make a friend coming up just as fruitless as ever. It's just so damn good.

Jex

Konosuba 7

I don't think I've ever seen an anime that was enhanced so much by the quality of it's voice acting. I keep harping on the VA, but it's so completely obvious that the voice actors are just having a BLAST voicing this anime and having a ton of fun with it. And for a comedy the variation in acted lines and dialogue as well as the infusion of fun they throw into their lines, it just brings everything out so much more.
Monogatari, which is enhanced even more because it has such barebones visuals!

kewlmyc

Konosuba 2 07

Aqua works mostly because of her relationship with Kazuma and how they work off each other, as shown during this episode with their petty fighting while trying to see who would right in the back of the cart. That and how her "high and mighty" persona is constantly falling apart due to no one taking her seriously and her being a complete idiot. The comment made earlier about "how Aqua fans must also be fans of shitty tsundere" doesn't make much sense to me. Like if tsunderes weren't taken seriously in their world, made fun of the entire time for being useless and stupid, and their "above you" attitudes were ignored and/or laughed at 100% of the time by the people around them, then maybe I would actually like tsunderes. For example, if a tsundere went to hit someone and the person they went to hit dodged the hit and she ended up hurting herself and freaking out in pain about it. Problem is that I can think of a tsundere that actually fits what I described above.

Also I'm glad this series is doing so well. It was hard as fuck to find any decent merch for this show while I was in Japan due to most of it being sold out. Plenty of Rem stuff though...

While Darkness may be my favorite because the M gag never gets old for me, I'd be lying if I didn't say that the main reason the show works is because of Kazuma and Aqua. The way they play off each other is exactly why this show works.

It's kind of like the joke in Gintama where Shinpachi is the glasses. It just works on a fundamental level.

Fuck that's gonna be a lot of filler. Maybe they can give the space mice their own episode.

The Space Mall episode was the closest thing to 'filler' in the usual example, but it was still fairly solid and had one of the best action scenes in the show. So I have hopes they simply use the additional episodes for expanding on the characters and introducing a larger cast.

duckroll

The Space Mall episode was the closest thing to 'filler' in the usual example, but it was still fairly solid and had one of the best action scenes in the show. So I have hopes they simply use the additional episodes for expanding on the characters and introducing a larger cast.

More like the Space Mall was the only good episode in the entire season!

(Hot takes)

It's a shame too because the plot is actually pretty good and topical. It's not as good as S1 but it's still got good writing and good direction.

Really? Lol. I'm not sure if I can categorize it as "good".

jonjonaug

I'm finally seeing the Psycho-Pass film.
Okay, who the fuck thought it'd be a great idea to dub half of it in the worst engrish i've seen put to golden screen?
Seriously, what the fuck.

It's a shame too because the plot is actually pretty good and topical. It's not as good as S1 but it's still got good writing and good direction. But the Engrish just takes you out of the experience so much.

Aikidoka

I just watched Yuri!!! On Ice and jesus that is one of most beautiful and charming shows I've ever watched. All the music is amazing and now I'm addicted to listening to it and watching youtubes videos of it put to professional skaters (or live dances for it). Shame I waited so long to check it out.

mAcOdIn

Konosuba 7

I don't think I've ever seen an anime that was enhanced so much by the quality of it's voice acting.
Oh man, I think Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei fit the bill.

Omigawa made Soredemo and the whole cast of SZS is amazing. Love Kobayashi.

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions

This was as great a return of the original cast as it could have possibly been. Not only is this a love letter to anyone who was a fan of the original show, but it also does a great job on expanding the story of the original series by tying up some loose plot threads with Bakura and Kaiba.

It's only really good by Yu-Gi-Oh! standards though. As in, it was cheesy as all hell, friendship speeches up the wazoo (okay there wasn't THAT much), and Kaiba being a tech-crazy egomaniac.

It's really easy to sum this movie up as just fanservice, since the plot in general is pretty minimal and the movie is 75% duels, but it's the good kind of fanservice.

Still, despite that, I got my complaints.

One are the Dimension Duels. They just felt really pointless and confusing.

Second is that there are some scenes that dragged out waaaay too long and added nothing to the plot.

Third were the asspulls. Okay, this isn't really a complaint, since for the most part they were amazing
(Obelisk the Tormentor coming out of nowhere and given no explanation for it at all was a hilarious SCREW THE RULES moment)
, but it's hard not to shake my head at one of the last scenes where
we're not even given an explanation as to what the card Atem summoned was or why it won. I wouldn't be complaining about this had we actually gotten to hear Dan Green's Atem voice in that moment but noooo he just HAD to be all silent! Sigh. At least he spoke in Kaiba's virtual duel.

But all in all, as a longtime fan of the original Yu-Gi-Oh!, I enjoyed this a bunch. Can't wait to see LittleKuriboh abridge this.

sonicmj1

Maidragon 7

afeGIbP.png
Remove Lucoa and it's a pretty great show.

duckroll

They should just cancel Voltron and make Space Blart: Galactic Mall Cop.

I thought Voltron 2 was mostly OK, but, yeah, that was far and away my favourite episode of it

Would watch.

IIRC, the episode also had the best fight in the entire series so far, connected to the ~deeplore~ too!

That doesn't look like it has the comedy or epic over the top fight scenes or mindbending overly complicated plots that I'm looking for...

I know a lot will disagree, but Saga of Tanya the Evil has been super enjoyable and actually has a few unintentional (or maybe intentional) funny laughs to be had. But it's mostly a thriller with some crazy twists.

End of episode 5 in Japanese is absolutely amazing.

Jintor

Kobayashi-san 7

Well that washed away the bad taste of last episode quite well. A lot of melancholy shots mixed with realisations of fulfillment.

Poor fafnir

The casual revelation other off-worlders beside the story group are just here chilling was pretty rad

Is it wrong I hope YunYun gets her own Gail the Snail treatment during the final episode?

Yunyun gets better later on, but it probably won't be covered by this season. The rival thing gets played down a lot. They have been teasing some things in the next episode preview letters, so we might see another season or at least an OVA covering Volume 5.

I really do hope for a 3rd season because by Volumes 5 and 6, the author has a pretty good handle on all of the characters. Given the source material, it might end up being the best season.

Fuuka Episode 8
download.png

Okay let's see how that works out for you...
It's amazing the abundance of human stupidity in the first three minutes of this episode. So when we last left our heroes they were about to kick off their debut to a group of soon to rioters. Yuu is confident though because of his band friends we don't know, and they get ready by setting up their poorly rendered CG equipment. Clearly everything is gonna go fine...

download_1.png

Fucking hit him again!

So at this point, Yuu is bleeding out and his guitar is broke. Naturally upon seeing this, Yuu's sister decides to rush in to his defense by running into the crowd of lunatics.
download.png
download_1.png

This was a good idea.

So naturally when that goes poorly, Koyuki, pop-idol sensation that has the weirdos in such a fury decides to reveal herself in the audience, seemingly thinking an apology from her will obviously cool things down.

Again, this is all in the first three minutes.

Is the twist gonna be that everyone in this show suffers from lead poisoning or something?

Chindogg

I read Fuuka the other day.

Yeah I'm still reading Fuuka. I know I should stop but at this point I'm committed to seeing it to the end.

Given what's happened recently unless they do another stupid plot twist it should be wrapping up soon.

BTW at this point people are quitting the anime so the twist is
that Fuuka meets Truck-chan and dies fairly early into the story. The rest of the series is about Yuu coping with his loss and learning to love again (another woman named Fuuka lol.)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's literally no point in posting a massive, series ruining spoiler just to post it, tags or not. People could just fucking look it up if they wanted to know that bad. Poor form.

TUSR

Banned
Anime thread Chindogg, come on.

If people want to sate their curiosity, like I did, let them read it on their own accord.

It serves no function to post a major spoiler from the source material here. Those who have dropped Fuuka due to disinterest can find out what the spoiler is themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom