• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

The 1st Season of The Big O was pretty sick, 2nd Season was tomatoes.

Tomatoes are healthy though, they certainly beat being sick.

Fate/Zero 01

So let me lay down my experience and thoughts on the Fate series.

Kirei a cute !

Does Saekano have any redeeming qualities and if so, should I give it a watch?

It's less bad than the first ep makes you think so after hammering your expectations to non-existence it manages to exceed them ?

And the writer is clearly a compelling character because of the ... internal struggle to keep herself upright despite burdens of adolescence weighing down on her.

C4g6iMBUMAACCSe.jpg:large
Time for GoldCrusader to watch Kemono Friends.

JulianImp

You're making it tempting.

She's Gahara-esque only in that she's abrasive as heck while still liking the MC, but her relationship with him is nowhere near Koyomi's with Gahara by a long shot.

Now that I think about it, Girlish Number also had a similar purple-haired aloof girl. Did Gahara actually codify and/or massify the character trope, or were there other similar characters before her?

KraytarJ

Masamune 8
Member when this show was about revenge? Member when it wasn't a boring, garbled mess? Then Neko gets revealed a bit and it's supremely underwhelming. I'd say this is the worst show I'm still following this season.

Deadly

E86DCqI.gif

I know, but she hasn't been in the lotus blossom position with the MC, or any position with the MC for that matter.

They have to allow season 2 to play off of the fun.

Besides, didn't episode 0 (from the future) kind of lead to the fact that this gets an open ending....
Episode 0 is not the end game

Paltheos

What is it with Gokus family and having women do a 180 on their personalities when they get married.

Chichi and videl are nothing like they were prior to marriage.

Chichi's pretty obvious: She's crazy and always has been. She never grew up from the little girl who believed in her idealized romance and shining, white knight. When she finally married her prince, reality hit her annnd... she didn't or couldn't face it. Any time Goku wasn't being exactly what she wanted for her life, she just ignored the facts and threw a hissy-fit until she got her way. Over time, all that repression seemed to extend that element of her personality to her relationships with everyone. Everything had to be exactly how she dreamed or her whole reality would fall apart. It's all pretty obvious really.

Videl idk. Maybe Toriyama just got bored with the character. Maybe she just happened to begin to realize her feelings after that beating! Or maybe senzu beans can't heal head trauma. I can see her entering into a healthier relationship with her husband though. Gohan's a genuinely good guy.

Cornbread78

Masume-kun ep.8
I'm not sure what is going on anymore, but damn good of the MC to just stand up for himself at this point. That drama at the end though, I guess t was a good device to let more of the truth out.

KraytarJ

I disagree strongly
C5WoA1WVMAEcZTg.jpg

The MC and Maid-chan are fine.
I liked Yoshino at the start but after several episodes where her and her shtick haven't evolved or added anything meaningful, I've cooled on her. As for Masamune, I guess his problem is just the focus of the last few episodes being on Neko hurt the entire plot and since he's so closely tied to it I've just lost a lot of interest in him due to his whole revenge ploy being mostly shelved.

Cornbread78

Which members of the harem have they introduced in Masamune? I only know them based on breast size.

He just dumped that girl......

Well, Master is still on the table, I guess. Not your classic "Harem" set-up though.

I liked Yoshino at the start but after several episodes where her and her shtick haven't evolved or added anything meaningful, I've cooled on her. As for Masamune, I guess his problem is just the focus of the last few episodes being on Neko hurt the entire plot and since he's so closely tied to it I've just lost a lot of interest in him due to his whole revenge ploy being mostly shelved.

Well, hopefully next week they actually start getting into why she is even in the story. They still have not even hinted as to why she is there and what she is trying to do. Is she there to hurt Masume-kun (doesn't feel like it after that episode) or Adaki-san?

Clov

The new PV to Yuasa's new movie looks great. The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl gonna be amazing.

I just watched the PV too, it looks incredible! The fact that we're getting two Yuasa movies in a year still amazes me, but this one looks especially great! The Tatami Galaxy is one of my favorite anime ever, so I'm pretty hyped about it.

Dali

Anyone have any recommendations for things to watch on crunchyroll? Feel like either they didn't get much of new winter series worth watching or I'm missing something. As far as I know there's not a series up on cr right now that I look forward to the new episode like I have in years past. Konosuba is ok but I don't find myself really caring too much about catching the next episode. Same with dragonball. Is there something good on hulu?

"Messy" and "overly simplistic" seem like mutually exclusive descriptions.

I know it may seem that way, and writing that I was like, "how can I make it come across without using these two adjectives that seem mutually exclusive?" But those are the adjectives I came to. It's messy and inconsistent art style/animation paired with overly simplistic coloring and art. He uses harsh and sharp edges to everything, and I am just not a fan of it.

Anyone have any recommendations for things to watch on crunchyroll? Feel like either they didn't get much of new winter series worth watching or I'm missing something. As far as I know there's not a series up on cr right now that I look forward to the new episode like I have in years past. Konosuba is ok but I don't find myself really caring too much about catching the next episode. Same with dragonball. Is there something good on hulu?

I think 3-gatsu and Saga of Tanya the Evil are pretty good picks. 3-gatsu takes a few episodes and Tanya you just need to get to episode 2. Tanya preferably in Japanese. Watched some of the English last night at my roommates request. He was liking it a lot more than I was. Then we watched the end of episode 5 and they totally botched the ending scene. So yeah...better in Japanese.

Crunchyroll
Hand Shakers

Hulu
Accel World
Divine Gate
Grimgar
God Eater
Guilty Crown
Seraph of the End
Buddy Complex
Kakekyo HItman Reborn

Jex

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 7

One thing that struck me about this episode was how the visualizations of Kikuhiko and Sukeroku's rakugo performances - performances we saw before in season 1 - reflect what Amaken said in episode 6 during his analysis of their styles in comparison to Yotaro's rakugo style. Of Kikuhiko/Yakumo, he posited that Yakumo's rakugo was primarily an expression of his own personality through the characters of the stories:
[...]
This is a very astute and well-realised observation. Truly an example of an adaptation actually enhancing the material that it is drawing from.

I was rewatching Konosuba and forgot just how funny the image of Vanir coming at Wiz with his arms in an Ultraman pose while she says "Please stop coming at me charging a Murder Ray" was

Cornbread78

So what are you guys favorite harem animes?

I need something stupid and fun to watch. Please nothing like Shuffle! where everyone was fu(king miserable the entire show.

You tried from this season?

Blue Exorcist
Twin star exorcist
Gundam Iron blooded orphans
élDLIVE

other then those

Good stuff from past seasons on CR

Occultic;Nine
Poco's Udon world
Haikyu
World Trigger
Barakamon
Noragami
CardCaptor Sakura

I need something stupid and fun to watch. Please nothing like Shuffle! where everyone was fu(king miserable the entire show.

Highschool DxD

phaze

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei S1 ( + assortment of various laters eps and specials.)

Don't go into it expecting romance though.
kruemelmonster9bq1o.gif

Jex

I still don't know how to feel about Scum's Wish lol

I don't believe there's meant to be any ambiguity surrounding this work. It's a show about watching bad people who do bad things suffer.

The quality of the series, while not truly exceptional, is largely of a higher calibre than you'd expect from this kind of materiel.

I personally feel that in the last few (?) weeks the series has crossed that thin line from 'depressingly realistic' into 'hilariously dark' which makes it harder for me to take the show 'seriously'. It's just a little much.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't believe there's meant to be any ambiguity surrounding this work. It's a show about watching bad people who do bad things suffer.

The quality of the series, while not truly exceptional, is largely of a higher calibre than you'd expect from this kind of materiel.

I personally feel that in the last few (?) weeks the series has crossed that thin line from 'depressingly realistic' into 'hilariously dark' which makes it harder for me to take the show 'seriously'. It's just a little much.

Nah, not about what the show is about, it's pretty obvious, but whether or not I'm actually "enjoying it", or if it's actually good.

Jex

Nah, not about what the show is about, it's pretty obvious, but whether or not I'm actually "enjoying it", or if it's actually good.

It is good. I don't think that should be in contention. There are areas where the adaptation is a little static, and some of the more recent plot developments have felt rather hokey, but I'd say it's still 'good'.

I guess for clarification sake, I should say that I consider something which is above average to be "good".

Ascheroth

Yeah, Ben-to is definitely stupid and fun.
Also, it's not a harem but also definitely stupid and fun is Binbougami ga (aka Good Luck Girl).
And not a harem either, but definitely fun (with some romance) is Mushibugyo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom