• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

So what are you guys favorite harem animes?

I need something stupid and fun to watch. Please nothing like Shuffle! where everyone was fu(king miserable the entire show.

Miyuki-chan, Ikkitousen, Simoun, Yami to Boushi to hon no Tabibito, Kashimashi, Kampfer

You know, the good stuff!

kewlmyc

I need something stupid and fun to watch. Please nothing like Shuffle! where everyone was fu(king miserable the entire show.

Seto no Hanayome (My Bride is a Mermaid)

The most I've laughed at a "harem" anime. Also Konosuba if that counts (it pretty much turns into a harem later on in the LN).

Edit: Oh yeah, The World God Only Knows is also good, even though the manga shits the bed pretty hard in the final act.

PK Gaming

Are you TRYING to mentally scar this man?

Yes, 100%

The most I've laughed at a "harem" anime. Also Konosuba if that counts (it pretty much turns into a harem later on in the LN).

Stukr7g.png

Dio

Banned

The Majikoi adaptation was really rushed and skipped over tons of content and was generally bleh, but it has some really funny/stupid moments in it. If you're not willing to read it (it's actually good) then give the adaptation a shot.

Says who? Everyone I've talked to says (LN spoilers)
Megumin and Kazuma are forming the OTP with everyone else by the wayside

Chindogg

Urusei Yatsura
To Love-Ru
Highschool DxD
Strike The Blood
Testament of The Sister New Devil
Cat Girl Cuties
Monster Musume

kewlmyc

As someone who's actually read it,
that's partially true, but its like saying Saekano isn't a harem because the end game is obvious. Darkness and a new character, Iris, also both like him. That's 3 girls right there.

Now I am curious...

giphy.gif

Let me explain to you just what kind of nightmare Yami is from everything I've heard from impressions throughout the years.

One, it was too yuri for SDBurton. Really think about that.

Too yuri, for SDBurton.

Two, do you want to never want to eat pancakes again? I bet you most certainly won't after Yami.

Three, considering how you reacted to School Days, I'm convinced that watching Yami will probably kill you.

Are you still curious?

Cornbread78

The Majikoi adaptation was really rushed and skipped over tons of content and was generally bleh, but it has some really funny/stupid moments in it. If you're not willing to read it (it's actually good) then give the adaptation a shot.

Sounds like good fun

Edit: Oh yeah, The World God Only Knows is also good, even though the manga shits the bed pretty hard in the final act.

Yeah, Mermaid was really fun. WGOK was pretty good as well.

Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu
Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan
Seiken Tsukai no World Break
Seitokai Yakuindomo

Will look into, ty

Miyuki-chan, Ikkitousen, Simoun, Yami to Boushi to hon no Tabibito, Kashimashi, Kampfer

You know, the good stuff!

Da fuq is this? Siscon yuri?

PK Gaming

I mean, it's still hilarious, but yeah. The biggest thing is that Aqua and Kazuma still have their brother/sister dynamic in tact and Kazuma is still a scumbag for the most part.

I don't doubt it's still funny, but Konosuba potentially conforming to the tropes it was constantly making fun of would legit make furious. Hopefully that's not the case, but If it does end up being a situation where Darkness and Megumin vie for Kazumi's (ugh), I really hope the anime takes it in a completely different direction.

Let me explain to you just what kind of nightmare Yami is from everything I've heard from impressions throughout the years.

One, it was too yuri for SDBurton. Really think about that.

Too yuri, for SDBurton.

Two, do you want to never want to eat pancakes again? I bet you most certainly won't after Yami.

Three, considering how you reacted to School Days, I'm convinced that watching Yami will probably kill you.

Are you still curious?

I think some people would love to see that. And I need something to break my mind again...

God...

What has School Days done to me...

kewlmyc

I don't doubt it's still funny, but Konosuba potentially conforming to the tropes it was constantly making fun of would legit make furious. Hopefully that's not the case, but If it does end up being a situation where Darkness and Megumin vie for Kazumi's (ugh), I really hope the anime takes it in a completely different direction.

It's not as blatant as what you posted and outside of like a few chapters, romance is never the focus, so it should be fine if the anime ever gets that far.

PK Gaming

It's not as blatant as what you posted and outside of like a few chapters, it's never the focus, so it should be fine if the anime ever gets that far.

Just read your spoiler

Self-restraint? Nuanced friendships with girls who aren't Aqua? Genuine subversion?

iY6EpXL.png

zulux21

Hayate no Gotoku has been on my list forever, but it is 50 episodes and that slot is currently filled by Nana. I need something to off-set that drama, lol.

I've already watched the others (outside of Ouran, but that has been on the back-burner for a long time, but the reverse harem thing just isn't as fun for me)

to be fair the reverse harem bit from ouran really isn't important, it's a comedy first and really only focuses on being a reverse harem from time to time and typically when it does it's great.

scene from host club without any real spoilers (dub warning for those purists in there :p)

What kind of shows do you like brotha?

Older stuff:

Drama:
Anohana (will make you cry)
March Comes like a Lion
Your Lie in April (now airing)

Just good:
Yona of the Dawn
Blast of Tempest
Strike the Blood
Fruit of Grisaia

Action/Shounen:
Blue Exorcist
Full Metal Alchemist
Fate/Zero

Rom Com:
Ano Natsu
Toradora
Golden Time
My Love Story
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches

Slice of Life:
Barakamon
Eccentric Family
Working
Humanity has Declined

Literally every show on this list aside from FMA is super recent. Hearing that stuff called old makes me feel like I'm about to lose my hip or something.

zulux21

Literally every show on this list aside from FMA is super recent. Hearing that stuff called old makes me feel like I'm about to lose my hip or something.

Blue Exorcist is 6 years old
Fate/Zero is 6 years old
Anohana is 6 years old
strike the blood is 4 years old
blast is 5 years old
Ano Natsu is 5 years old
golden time is 4 years old
Eccentric Family is 4 years old
Working is 7 years old
and finally toradora is 9 years old

none of those I think can be classified as super recent :p

Thanks. Heard of it and iirc read the cr summary when perusing but wasn't pushed to actually watch. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Also you can't go wrong with any Key show by Jun Maeda, like:

Clannad
Angel Beats
Little Busters
Air
Kanon 2006

...And Charlotte, I guess, if you watch all those. :p

Fate/Zero is 6 years old
Anohana is 6 years old
blast is 5 years old
Ano Natsu is 5 years old
Working is 7 years old

Well no, but they're hardly older stuff, at least not what I'd think of. Evangelion could be considered old by this point, Nadesico, Patlabor, Lupin The 3rd, etc. 6 years isn't recent, but it's not that old either I'd think.

Szadek

Princess Precure - Ep. 26
This episode was fucking hialrious.
A pure Cicada turned into a monster,because shut couldn't find a human.
Said cicada than almost got his ass kicked my the fairies.
Also this happened:

Fate/Zero is 6 years old
Anohana is 6 years old
blast is 5 years old
Ano Natsu is 5 years old
Working is 7 years old

I'll give you Toradora, but the rest are all from the current decade. That's pretty recent in my eyes. Certainly nothing on that list could be called old.

zulux21

Well no, but they're hardly older stuff, at least not what I'd think of. Evangelion could be considered old by this point, Nadesico, Patlabor, Lupin The 3rd, etc. 6 years isn't recent, but it's not that old either I'd think.

I think those all qualify as classic, or retro anime instead of just old.

I mean it really depends on how people want to define recent and old.

I have seen this thread plenty of times yell at people for listing shows more than a year old when someone asks for a recent show :p

Also you can't go wrong with any Key show by Jun Maeda, like:

Clannad
Angel Beats
Little Busters
Air
Kanon 2006

...And Charlotte, I guess, if you watch all those. :p

angel beats > clannad > Charlotte > Air > Kanon 2006.

little busters is off to the side because I haven't been able to force my way through it yet but from what I have seen would slot between air and kanon 2006.

kanon just has to many girls that have been beaten by a moe stick that are unable to hold intelligent conversations beyond that of a 5 year old's level to be higher on the list.

Sterok

Masamune-kun's Revenge 8

Stuff happened? I think. Everyone is just kind of moping or being a prick without doing much of anything.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have no idea why this thread is always managing to post spoilers of adapted works. The manga thread has a no tag policy and they manage to spoil less things than you guys do.

Dali

What kind of shows do you like brotha?

Older stuff:

Drama:
Anohana (will make you cry)
March Comes like a Lion
Your Lie in April (now airing)

Just good:
Yona of the Dawn
Blast of Tempest
Strike the Blood
Fruit of Grisaia

Action/Shounen:
Blue Exorcist
Full Metal Alchemist
Fate/Zero

Rom Com:
Ano Natsu
Toradora
Golden Time
My Love Story
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches

Slice of Life:
Barakamon
Eccentric Family
Working
Humanity has Declined

All-Stars:
Barakamon
Toradora
Your Lie in April
Anohana
Yona of the Dawn
Blast of Tempest
My Love Story
Working

I like some of everything except fringe stuff like yuri or yaoi but even then some stuff is watchable like fruits basket.

My favorite stiff is probably yokai/god/myth related be it natsume, nura, or spice and wolf it doesn't matter the genre.

The main shows I've been watching this season (on Crunchyroll) are Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (slice of life comedy) and the second season of Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (drama). I have no idea if either of those are up your alley.

Also for Cornbread, Ben-to is great dumb fun.

Kobayshi (The show) was kinda too sick/obsessive to have me keep watching. Don't know about the other.

Cornbread78

I like some of everything except fringe stuff like yuri or yaoi but even then some stuff is watchable like fruits basket.

My favorite stiff is probably yokai/god/myth related be it natsume, nura, or spice and wolf it doesn't matter the genre.

Campione is a harem anime with lots of mythological references and is pretty fun.

K-ON!! 16

Noriko Takao did an excellent job on this episode, delivering superb direction with a good rhythm and structure throughout. The regular ritualistic repetition of Azusa talking with her classmates, going to the club room fired up to practice only to find just one other person there, doing a little bit of music work but mostly getting distracted, then her horrible realization that she had gotten off track - all bookended by the extra slice of cake scenes - that's good planning. It mirrors the rhythm of daily life while providing extra opportunity to characterize Azusa and the other club members in context of their relationship with her. Despite the mundane nature of the events, it's clear that a lot of thought and care went into this episode's creation, which I respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom