• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

KraytarJ

Scum's Wish 7
With that the final domino has fallen, welcome to the world of depravity and misery Moca. Such a raw and painful episode, with Hanabi and Moca's desperation being the forefront coupled with the problems associated with those feelings for each of them. I'm especially curious to see where Moca heads after the realizations she came to though.

I'm sure the title has always been intended to be the English phrase "March Comes in Like a Lion" so I have no idea why people are so committed to calling it "3 Gatsu No Lion" given that the only reason the title makes any sense at all is because its a reference to a a seventeenth century English farming idiom - "March comes in like a lion, and goes out like a lamb."

It's kind of like people who insist on calling the Naruto character "Pein" despite the fact its clearly intended to be a direct use of an English word and not the Japanese transliteration of the English word. It's not even an annoying transliteration like "Attack on Titan" which makes no sense with or without context.

Because it's shorter, which is why people call Hunter x Hunter HxH or Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon MaiDragon or Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o KonoSuba. These titles are long and dumb.

Blue Exorcist is 6 years old
Fate/Zero is 6 years old
Anohana is 6 years old
strike the blood is 4 years old
blast is 5 years old
Ano Natsu is 5 years old
golden time is 4 years old
Eccentric Family is 4 years old
Working is 7 years old
and finally toradora is 9 years old

none of those I think can be classified as super recent :p

Yes well TV anime started in the 60s so those are all pretty recent.

Cornbread78

Absolute Duo ep.6
Oh Lilith how dare you kiss and declare the MC your future husband right in front of all the other girls.. lol. At least the fighting was ok before that, but she is OP as hell.

NeonZ

having a debate with my friend.

Could Yamcha from dbz throw a rock 90 miles?

If you go by Tao Pai Pai's pillar throw he should be able to do that easily. However, later in the series at points it often feels like Toriyama was downscaling everyone. Yamcha and Kuririn clearly had to put some effort to lift Goku's 50kg shirt in the 23rd Budokai, for example. Or Vegeta still training with 150G in the Buu Saga, when Goku had mastered 100G by Namek.

Heavy Metal L-Gaim #03 Coming Man

Daba is a nice lead that at least tries to ensure everyone stays alive, for example when fighting the bandits he would catch them midair then place them on a tree.

Rip Lillin, too bad you died by your own man, Hasha Masha.

Some of the silly moments are good, Daba and Kyao occasionally on each other teasing each other, lol.

Scum's Wish 07

XQ0AidT.png
TUnQvmz.jpg
7FC6M3F.jpg
PXBf5yu.jpg

Now entering the Moca Medusa arc.

Scum's Wish - 07

This showwwwwwwww!!! Loved the ending though. It was a very humanly disgusting decision mind you, but one that is believable from these two. They tried to get attention from others and weren't satisfied. They ended up going back to each other because they had no one, and decided to break the shackles that are holding them both
by accepting a rejection by the end of the Summer.
Again they go back to sticking to each other out of loneliness and emotional necessity, but at this point, this choice is better than whatever they were trying to achieve by fucking around with others around them.

This show can be uncomfortable to watch, but its plot is fascinating to me.

Hand Shakers Episode 5

Whoa, if only Hand Shakers had only truly became a traditional card game anime set in a card shop. PreMemo is such an awesome game, and this has to be the best looking card game in anime so far.

C5ZLR-FWcAEwaO-.jpg:small
C5ZL4-vXMAEHGzO.jpg:small

C5ZMBcPXQAApjZD.jpg:small
C5ZMMGCWYAEy42Y.jpg:small

President Lily and Koyori had the best duel. The commentary offered from Masaru during their duel was really amazing. I also loved how perfect Koyori was at it, great advancement for her character. Characters in YGO need to learn from here.

Masaru was actually the best and I loved all his cards, Crimson Emperor was the best. I also like how he has a good personality and all usually the person who is like him would belittle the characters or be all arrogant, but he is just friendly all over. I can only hope we get a good end for the next episode.

C5ZOtlCXMAAFHPK.jpg:small
C5ZO4xgXEAA1o5p.jpg:small

C5ZPULHWgAAeG-N.jpg:small
C5ZQyugWUAEVSdU.jpg:small

I don't know why but whenever I see people talking about Scum's Wish I keep remembering people watching Victory Gundam and complaining about it for all the same reasons people praise Scum's Wish.

As in, they didn't enjoy getting uncomfortable watching a show with shitty people getting into sexually depraved situations.

I mean, the key difference there is obviously the facts that Victory Gundam was created by Tomino while he was depressed and Scum's wish was not made by Tomino, Scum's Wish did not involve people using wheels in space, and the above from my understanding was only just a mere large fraction of Victory Gundam while the rest of it was bogged down by typical depressed Tomino Gundam nonsense.

So Scum's Wish probably does it in a way that's strangely engrossing and certainly more well written to some, but whenever something reminds me of Victory Gundam, a principle in my brain instructs me to stay far away from it.

I wonder if Ranma 1/2 still holds up after all of these years. 8-10 year old me thought that shit was hilarious back in the days. Maybe it was the dub though.

Did you get to see boobies back then? I can't quite recall if that kind of nudity was shown here on German TV. I must imagine America's censorship in regards to nudity would've prevented that?

Did you get to see boobies back then? I can't quite recall if that kind of nudity was shown here on German TV. I must imagine America's censorship in regards to nudity would've prevented that?

I don't think so. It was being aired in a national tv channel back in Colombia during the kid's shows airing slot. It was probably booby-less

Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 (Subtitled) Episode 44 – DM Quest 2 - Yugi the Legendary Hero
C5Zdt9jXQAAS0HL.jpg:small

Great costume Jonouichi kun.

I always like the anime using the time wizard spell in a literal sense of going back or forward in time 1000 years.

Cornbread78

Nana ep.4
Shoji finally showing some balls and some sly moves as well.

Now, most importantly, I finally got some background info on Dark Nana, yup, she's gonna be awesome.

Hamst3r

I wonder if Ranma 1/2 still holds up after all of these years. 8-10 year old me thought that shit was hilarious back in the days. Maybe it was the dub though.

I watched it a few years ago and think it holds up for the most part. It's still funny and enjoyable a lot of the time. The English dub is also A+ up until they swap out Ranma's voice actor and it sounds weird as fuck for a while. The OVAs for it are particularly good, including the Specials, Super, and the Legendary Phoenix movie.

At some point it does get kind of repetitive though with an overwhelming number of episodes involving Happosai. Those were the worst.

NeonZ

The first couple of seasons are pretty decent. They're even better than the manga in some ways, with the anime doing little tie ins between the different stories early on. At some point during season 3 though, when it becomes mostly filler the anime's quality immediately drops. The filler writers enjoyed very specific types of stories and mostly wrote them over and over. Elements of the manga that didn't fit with what the anime staff liked were often sidelined or ignored in those stories too.

And then there's the overuse of certain characters, especially Happosai.

zulux21

I found the first few seasons hold up well enough, the last few though >.>

The first couple of seasons are pretty decent. They're even better than the manga in some ways, with the anime doing little tie ins between the different stories early on. At some point during season 3 though, when it becomes mostly filler the anime's quality immediately drops. The filler writers enjoyed very specific types of stories and mostly wrote them over and over. Elements of the manga that didn't fit with what the anime staff liked were often sidelined or ignored in those stories too.

And then there's the overuse of certain characters, especially Happosai.

ah cool basically my exact thoughts without having to type them out lol

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.80-81
*get up abd stoo being a lil' bitch alt Natsu)
This Edilas world arc has a lot more comedy than I thought it would, but it is keeping the normal Fairy Tail balance of seriousness mixed in to make it enjoyable to watch.

Chindogg

Sword Art Online 13 & 14

I'm assuming this is the end of the first major arc so I thought I'd post my thoughts about it.

I really do love the relationship between Kirito and Asuna. Asuna's such a great complimentary character to Kirito and their relationship feels natural. They're the best part of this series for me.

That said, I saw the twist a mile away and the first arc was still really uneven. If I didn't love the relationship between the two MCs so much I probably would have given up on this.

Now given that
they're out of the game
I'm expecting everything I liked about the show to fall apart. I'll press on, but now I understand why SAO is so popular. Kirito and Asuna are arguably the greatest relationship in anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom