• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heartcatch Precure 07

uSbA1sz.jpg

It's quite refreshing to see gender fluidity present with a recurring character.

Hyouka 17

This cultural festival arc was so good. I really loved the focus it gave to all the other members of the club, and how it all tied together thematically. Especially like the relationship between Satoshi and Oreki.

duckroll

Read on Twitter that A Silent Voice has a misogynistic and dim view of the role of women in the world. Not sure if I want to watch it anymore. Can anyone confirm/deny.

MSMrRound

A Silent Voice

it sure touched on a lot more deeper issues that what I imagined it would. Show was great with plenty of Yamada's trademark leg acting

Read on Twitter that A Silent Voice has a misogynistic and dim view of the role of women in the world. Not sure if I want to watch it anymore. Can anyone confirm/deny.

Lol what. Did they say under what kind of context? I just watched it and it's more about Ishida's personal journey to rediscover himself/trying to fix the mistakes he did in the past. If there were misogynistic themes...I can't really think of any scenes which really come to mind at the moment?

Edit: eh, just saw an article which might be about what you are talking about...

Opinions differ, but I feel the author of the article seems to be pretty dismissive about the subject at hand that they are writing about

Wouldn't go around taking the article too seriously when they are labeling Ishida's mother as his sister instead...way to go with their research >.>

PK Gaming

Absolutely not, it's total fiction. The only problematic aspect of the source material is:

Is how it handles attempted suicide
<---- major spoilers

But even then it's like... nah.

Line_HTX

Wait, where'd you hear that from? And if that were the case, wouldn't that be a huge indictment on KyoAni for making the movie like that?

DiGiKerot

I think we're waiting to see if the new BD out this month is any better than the previous ones.

You better hope they aren't using the subs from the last UK release of the movie, which through out a perfectly good decades old script for one which looks like it was translated by someone who hadn't even watched the movie. I mean, things like clearly misgendered characters and lines which don't make sense in the context of the scene in which they're presented.

DiGiKerot

A Silent Voice

it sure touched on a lot more deeper issues that what I imagined it would. Show was great with plenty of Yamada's trademark leg acting

Lol what. Did they say under what kind of context? I just watched it and it's more about Ishida's personal journey to rediscover himself/trying to fix the mistakes he did in the past. If there were misogynistic themes...I can't really think of any scenes which really come to mind at the moment?

Edit: eh, just saw an article which might be about what you are talking about...

Opinions differ, but I feel the author of the article seems to be pretty dismissive about the subject at hand that they are writing about

Wouldn't go around taking the article too seriously when they are labeling Ishida's mother as his sister instead...way to go with their research >.>

Oh, that's also the review that actually gets the main characters name wrong as well, not to mention misgenders the author of the original manga, right?

Droplet

This isn't much to argue either way, but Yoshitoki Oima, the author of Koe no Katachi, is a woman, and I personally think it shows fairly strongly in her female characters. There's only two things I can think of that the author of the article you read may be referring to, and that's the decision to mostly mute the female lead (who communicates by signs) and her younger sister dressing as a boy to present herself as a stronger person. Both of those are deliberate decisions with much better explanations than "the author hates women".

Branduil

Really sad how it seems like every streaming company is determined to blow themselves up with short-sighted greed and drive people even further into piracy.

jman2050

But if I read it on Twitter it must be true. Maybe I should make a thread about it instead? Where do I start a boycott petition?

Wait I get it now Crossing Eden was your joke alt all along.

You tried to pull a fast one over us, I'm on to your little tricks.

TheChaos0

Ye, no.

No, seriously, it's not.

Ping Pong the Animation 1-11

It starts alright, then gradually gets better and better with each episode. Its "ugliness" reminds me of Flowers of Evil, in the sense that it's different and I love it. Definitely not a sports anime, in case someone had any doubts. Sport is a background, just like with 3gatsu.

Eh, I feel like reviewer is missing the point and lacks the understanding of the issues that are being highlighted in the film. I know because I'm an expert.

duckroll asking questions about a Kyoani film on the same day Breath of the Wild got a 7 and 6 out of 10?

...Maybe I should start asking questions, get to the bottom of this whole thing...

Less than an hour later

Ua_Lp_JOK.png

Qurupeke

Maidragon 9

I was waiting the whole episode for Kanna to do something extreme, but this was really an ordinary sports festival. Okay episode but I find heartwarming moments enjoyable in smaller doses in this show.

zulux21

so remember when people were worried about wit studio with attack on titan and then The Ancient Magus' Bride and Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress season 2 likely coming back to back to back.... they apparently didn't think that those were enough.

they are also doing a laughing under the clouds movie for later this year

Maidragon 9

I was waiting the whole episode for Kanna to do something extreme, but this was really an ordinary sports festival. Okay episode but I find heartwarming moments enjoyable in smaller doses in this show.
I knew she wouldn't because what would be the point of using her dragon powers to beat a bunch of human children who already love her?

Gintama - up to 189

First we get this 4th wall breaking masterpiece arc.

Then follows some mushy Okita stuff that I couldn't care for.

But afterwards...

a double whammy of sadness. Especially the first episode with Madao was ingenious in how it drifted from hilarious absurdity over to a genuinely had hitting story involving Hasegawa, who's 'Madao' antics I already considered played out by this point. That was some top tier storytelling, really and made good use of a previously established character.

Aiii

So not worth it
Maidragon 9

My heart warms whenever Kanna is on screen doing literally anything. Or nothing.

Best character.

so remember when people were worried about wit studio with attack on titan and then The Ancient Magus' Bride and Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress season 2 likely coming back to back to back.... they apparently didn't think that those were enough.

they are also doing a laughing under the clouds movie for later this year

Darn I was hoping it was going to be a tv series, but I guess it would be hard to make something based off of various events into a tv series.

duckroll

It's honestly one of the best monster action movies I've seen. Tight simple script, great setting, AAA cinematography. Every scene is in daylight, great framing, no shakey cam, really nice choreography too. I liked the cast, I loved the monsters. Not a single dull moment.

It's honestly one of the best monster action movies I've seen. Tight simple script, great setting, AAA cinematography. Every scene is in daylight, great framing, no shakey cam, really nice choreography too. I liked the cast, I loved the monsters. Not a single dull moment.
Well there is at least 2 scene during night time, but one of them is god damn cool though.

My heart warms whenever Kanna is on screen doing literally anything. Or nothing.

Best character.

Literally my wife's favorite character. She's been working hard on a Perler design for the character to give away in our next contest and she's constantly crossing her fingers that Kanna will get a Nendoroid to add to her collection.

I really had fun with it too, although it really felt at times like huge swashes of dialogue/exposition had been ripped out of scenes. I feel like at least a half hour of stuff had been cut. Still a very fun movie though.

Following on DTL's Mikleo pic, I think I like Sorey more
C64CvT9VwAAntbe.jpg:large

Ludger tho...heh.
-----------------------------------
There's really only one night scene and it was REALLY well done. The other night on the island was just a transition into day! They know no one wants to watch cantseeshit action!
The only hic I had with the movie was that one transition in
the final fight
...felt weird.

duckroll

I really had fun with it too, although it really felt at times like huge swashes of dialogue/exposition had been ripped out of scenes. I feel like at least a half hour of stuff had been cut. Still a very fun movie though.

I don't really feel that there was any need for additional interactions though. I mean it's basically a story about people who went there and how they got out. I'm not sure if having more dialogue improves the film.

blurr

Fuck, gonna try and watch it next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom