• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
So many conflicting answers.

Just go with the flow
dinner-with-waifu.jpg

The paragraph concerning the video quality sure is needlessly opaque. For all we know that final "higher quality" is the newer, highly compressed stuff. If it were a higher quality they'd be more likely to clearly state as much. If nothing else they're keeping that options open.

The Crunchyroll Twitter account has stated that there will be a blog post with more technical details coming, so let's see what that will have to say.

DiGiKerot

It's a reasonable excuse considering how often it crashes when they air DB Super.

They've had issues for the last three or four years surrounding the release of particularly hot shows - the site has borderline ceased to function when new episodes of things like Sword Art Online and One Punch Man have launched. I had figured they'd turned a corner on that recently, as I've generally had less problems (though, admittedly, being in the UK, I watch Super on Daisuki), but I do now wonder if it's because they've been prioritizing new releases at the expense of catalogue content.

That being said, I usually watch stuff from a distance whilst on a stationary bike or otherwise semi-distracted, so don't tend to notice personally unless things get really atrocious.

zulux21

They've had issues for the last three or four years surrounding the release of particularly hot shows - the site has borderline ceased to function when new episodes of things like Sword Art Online and One Punch Man have launched. I had figured they'd turned a corner on that recently, as I've generally had less problems (though, admittedly, being in the UK, I watch Super on Daisuki), but I do now wonder if it's because they've been prioritizing new releases at the expense of catalogue content.

That being said, I usually watch stuff from a distance whilst on a stationary bike or otherwise semi-distracted, so don't tend to notice personally unless things get really atrocious.

well it makes sense to prioritize new releases.

you keep subs by having new things people want, a big catalog is nice, but it's totally new stuff that gets people to keep paying.

Cornbread78

Rogue Hero ep.9
Hmm, borderline rapey shit from the asshole "hero" next up up, the earth will shake to it's foundations with the hero x hero battle.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But can your wife also be your waifu?

I ask the hard hitting questions.

Or you're just revealing you don't know where the term comes from.

Waifu literally means wife. The person who used the term, Kimura-sensei from Azumanga, was talking about his wife when he says "Mai waifu". Not some pretend fantasy, his actual, married to, wife.

DiGiKerot

well it makes sense to prioritize new releases.

you keep subs by having new things people want, a big catalog is nice, but it's totally new stuff that gets people to keep paying.

Problem is when that "prioritize new things" window starts to get smaller and smaller. I don't always watch things the day they come out these days - there's a couple of days a week when I can't make the time to watch anime, and otherwise I can maybe squeeze in three episodes in the evening. It's normally Saturday or Sunday by the time I can watch the stuff from Friday this season, for example, and if some reports are to be believed, that wait means I've getting a lower quality video stream than people watching when it goes up.

I mean, I could understand slightly more if the quality switch-over was on titles over a year old, but even then, as a paying customer, why should I have to care how old something is? Given I can't even get DBSuper or One Piece here, why should I get worse service so as to benefit someone who can?

Then again, this is all just idle speculation. Part of me also wonders if this is literally just someone who can't tell the difference between the two encodes. Some people are completely oblivious to video problems in anime. I mean, some people like that 60fps interpolation garbage as well, after all.

Future Card Buddyfight: DDD [Triple D] Episode 47
C66ySN-WgAEyLS5.jpg:small

Even the almighty dragon force can fall under rule by dragon deity Kyoya Gaen. What a phenomenal plot for the final fight of this Buddyfight season. Looking forward to how mighty sun fighter Gao can save the day.

Cornbread78

Rogue Hero ep.10
Well, that was, umm, interesting and stupid. From nasty battle to near death poisoning, to near sex scene, to awful reveal. This show hits all the right notes.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G NEXT Episode 14- Are you ready to FIGHT!! (engDub)
C663jYaWoAA6MWH.jpg:small
C664nU4WcAABfMs.jpg:small

One of the better episodes in cardgame anime set before a tournament. Rather than throwing us into something with random fillery OCs of little to no relevance we instead get fun times with each of the teams, and even a surprise with Kamui's Team Hell & Heaven,epic name (as well as Team Dividers!).

Curry challenge was as great as Enishi's experience doing social activities and living up to his nickname.

Or you're just revealing you don't know where the term comes from.

Waifu literally means wife. The person who used the term, Kimura-sensei from Azumanga, was talking about his wife when he says "Mai waifu". Not some pretend fantasy, his actual, married to, wife.

You do know I was making a joke, right? Chill.

Kemono Friends 10

Holy shit, the wolf kept tricking everyone and at the end Serval didn't believe her!

Deep as hell. Rakugo no longer the most thoughtful show of the season

Cornbread78

Hand Shakers ep.10
Oh, look at these two cute kids having a good time.... Oh wait, time to cue in super bad guy that they will have to fight next week.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! Stars 47

These two have come a long way since Yozora smacked Mahiru the fuck up.

If Lily doesn't get into S4 I'm going to

Time Bokan 24 Episode 21 – Versailles Was Actually a ________ Center!
C67UnQTWwAAfM0e.jpg:small
C67U9ioWYAAnlSJ.jpg:small

They really wanted to make everything cute this episode, laughed a ton when Tokio did the Tee-hee thing and it was part of the next comedy moment in the next scene.

Ill miss Tokio.

So I tried watching a couple of different series tonight. Ended up dropping Accel World after two episodes. Worst MC I've ever seen in an anime. Trying to get into Log Horizon but that's not really doing it for me either.

zulux21

So I tried watching a couple of different series tonight. Ended up dropping Accel World after two episodes. Worst MC I've ever seen in an anime. Trying to get into Log Horizon but that's not really doing it for me either.

Log horizon takes a long time to really get going, and in general you have to be more interested in the economics of a video game world becoming real than wanting high end combat and what not.

given your choices, might I suggest no game no life? that one has a great male lead and gets into things quickly. (though fair warning no game no life can get a bit ecchi at times)

Log horizon takes a long time to really get going, and in general you have to be more interested in the economics of a video game world becoming real than wanting high end combat and what not.

given your choices, might I suggest no game no life? that one has a great male lead and gets into things quickly. (though fair warning no game no life can get a bit ecchi at times)

I may have to try it out. I've seen a couple of clips of NGNL so I'm prepared for the fanservice at least lol

zulux21

I may have to try it out. I've seen a couple of clips of NGNL so I'm prepared for the fanservice at least lol

yeah as long as you can deal with that you should be in for a fun ride.

it was my favorite series from 2014 due to the fun games in it.

it has the best word game in the history of anime.
makes chess interesting
and manages to make Gal Gun interesting... what more can you want :p

and yes, those are technically spoilers, but they are misleading spoilers so don't worry about it :p

but it doesn't take long for no game no life to get going so that should be good for you.

Spiritpact Episode 8 – Turbulence with a Chance of Dilemma
C67eSMXWwAAVaOU.jpg:small

Ritsu is back, but wow. I hope he isnt turning evil again, he was a great rival type character for You Keika. And You Keika, such a cool transformation they gave him, but if this ends up like all the other chinese manga adaptations, we wont get to see his power fully used by the time the anime episodes end, very unfortunate.

PK Gaming

White Album 2 (1-6)

Gonna be honest, I don't really like watching these type of anime. The "self-insert protag love triangle garbage" setup is just an instant turnoff, and White Album 2 is very much that kind of anime on the surface. That said, I've been pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable WA2 is in spite of some of its cliched trappings. Nowhere is that more apparent with the anime's main character. Haruki is about as archetypal as it gets. Your standard looking, natural leader, busybody chick magnet who mostly does everything right. I especially love (read: hate) when someone makes a comment along the lines of "Haruki, you're always blunt and honest!" He really doesn't really have much depth beyond his dream, but it's that passion that elevates him above your standard worthless self insert. Haruki has desires. He wants to do perform at the festival, and despite how unrelatable he generally is (will we ever get introduced to his family), it's that desire that actually allows us to connect with him. Touma seems like your generic beautiful tsundere ice queen (and sometimes she is), but the show actually tries to shake things up by making her compelling. Her being a shitty student? Totally didn't see that coming. I was genuinely impressed at how natural her problems, and how relateable she was (Fuck growing up and graduating. I just want to play music all day). Ogiso is pretty good. She doesn't stand out, she's not really offensive either (and she has her moments)

The first half has been mostly build up, so I won't comment on the overall plot, but I really liked these pockets of moments between the characters. Like when Haruki is just practicing with Touma, or when he's taking a walk with Ogiso. These moments the most natural (and imo, enjoyable) moments in the show, and they showcase the best aspects of the characters. The show's soundtrack is also pretty great too, filled with memorable and catchy songs (even if it gets a little repetitive at times).

So all in all, White Album 2 is a good (albeit typical) anime with a ton of promise. Looking forward to experiencing the second half.

Cornbread78

What kind of show do you feel like watching?

So all in all, White Album 2 is a good (albeit typical) anime with a ton of promise. Looking forward to experiencing the second half.

Oh, it goes places, some really good moments coming up...

Cornbread78

Yeah the show becomes more serious the closer it gets to its finale.

If you want some real crazy, watch White Album 1. It's not good, but the protagonist is entertaining for just how stupid he acts.

Lol, yeah, I watched WA a few months ago and was constantly memorized at just how stupid the MC was... I can't have my love, so I'm gonna fuck everything I see...

Manager was Best girl, lol.

blurr

Got my brother to book tickets for Kong, he was pissed off that I didn't agree to go for Dr Strange because I didn't find it interesting. He said Kong doesn't look interesting for him haha, told I'll go on my own if he isn't interested after which he agreed.

I get a feeling he isn't a fan of monster movies in general considering I loved Jurassic World and he hated it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom