• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Rogue Hero ep.11
HGXScrr.jpg
"IT'S ON MOTHERFUCKER!"

Sorry, that's all I got.

jonjonaug

Holy shit Yuasa Devilman.

Holy shit I just...

Holy shit.

I have to admit I've not read or watched Devilman in any form.

Is that Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman OVA any good?

YES OH MY GOD

Watch the two OVAs from the late 80s/early 90s then read the manga first though so you can fully appreciate just how well the creators of this NAILED Devilman tho.

EDIT: Don't watch the Amon OVA it's garbage.

Did anyone else just see what Science Saru's twitter just tweeted out? Yuasa is directing some sort of Devilman reboot, releasing on Netflix in 2018. How much work can he possibly take on at once!?

It looks really cool, though the name is a bit silly.

Uh...holy shit? That's huge.

Also, late on the train to this but Season 2 of Overlord means animated Lizardman Arc which is far and away the best arc with the best characters and best story. Should be really really good.

Lizardmen are awesome.

Dave1988

Where's the Fassbender gif when you need it? Ah, there it is.

giphy.gif
\

Fantastic episode to end the season with. It's gonna be a long wait for S3 T__T

Cornbread78

Rogue Hero-END
Ok, add this show to the shit pile by ending the show while starting a new arc/plotline. Fuck this shit. At least it's off my list now..

HEYBOT! Episode 22 – Heybot-Style Kitchen Battle?!
C6_u1nNWYAAX60U.jpg:small

Oh wow he was back this episode.

Some of the rejected designs looked great. Kind of wish it took place in school as the characters for that looked quite good.

Chigiru looks amazing, cant wait for more of him next episode.

Andrew J.

Maidragon 10

Aww, that was sweet. And The Little Match Girl is stupid as-is, glad they changed it.

Konosuba S2 10

Some nice animation upgrades with Wiz and Aqua's big attacks.

It's finally over. This season was good from start to finish.

While not as comedic as the rest of the episodes, this finale gave us some really beautiful shots and animation. It's also a bittersweet ending but that's par for the course for the main cast.

I do hope we get a Season 3.

The Devil is a Part Timer (Rewatch) 1-3

Scrolling through Netflix and decided to watch this again last night. Forgot just how amazing it was. Season 2 when!?!?!?!

zulux21

The Devil is a Part Timer (Rewatch) 1-3

Scrolling through Netflix and decided to watch this again last night. Forgot just how amazing it was. Season 2 when!?!?!?!

season 2 is already out in english.... if you are reading the light novels.

beyond that... likely never sadly :(

duckroll

Did anyone else just see what Science Saru's twitter just tweeted out? Yuasa is directing some sort of Devilman reboot, releasing on Netflix in 2018. How much work can he possibly take on at once!?

It looks really cool, though the name is a bit silly.

Specifically the teaser PV is here. Ichiro Okouchi (Code Geass, Kabaneri) is writing the script and Kensuke Ushio (Ping Pong, A Silent Voice) is composing the music.

Holy fuuuuuuck!

So this a Gundam Thunderbolt S2 mecha design...

download.png

Aww geez, guys, don't take my lunch money or my mom will get angry with me!
I hope it's not the main character's mech. It looks so dorky.

Looks like a mech that eats alone at lunch or even worse with a Ball Gundam.

Rb_79.jpg

So this a Gundam Thunderbolt S2 mecha design...

I hope it's not the main character's mech. It looks so dorky.

Looks like a mech that eats alone at lunch or even worse with a Ball Gundam.

It's a GM with a Gundam head. Io doesn't use them, though he does use a regular GM type C briefly
Later the characters that use them upgrade to Ground Gundams
Also Atlas is literally a Ball Gundam

Konosuba 2 - 10

Crazy visual display once again. Not only was this season a whole 1 or 2 steps above on the comedy front, but on the animation side as well.

Gonna miss this show. I was hoping that the announcement for a 3rd season would be waiting for me at the end but alas, that did not happen. Or did it...
"Our true battle has only just begun!"
Gives us more Deen!!!

JCG

Specifically the teaser PV is here. Ichiro Okouchi (Code Geass, Kabaneri) is writing the script and Kensuke Ushio (Ping Pong, A Silent Voice) is composing the music.

Yuasa's influence alone would make this an interesting watch and the PV looks pretty rad. I also can't wait to see people probably trying to credit/blame Okouchi for any plot twists or shocking stuff that Go Nagai may have already included in the original Devilman, Demon Lord Dante or even Violence Jack.

Something seems off with all these Mecha designs. I can't put my finger on it, like they're all a bit too wide or something.

Anyway Patlabor OVA
Finally got a chance to finish these. I really loved the Godzilla Spoof, Ghost, and Brocken episodes. I think I still prefer the way the characters are written for the TV and Films, but it was great to finally watch the OVAs in their entirety. I'd only scene the first five episodes before.

Next up is rewatching Gundam Wing. Going to try and expose my Wife to it a bit. She liked G Gundam for how ridiculous it is, and based off the first episode I think she might get similar enjoyment out of Wing.

-Minsc-

Gintama - 180But of course, precisely as predicted, we get the obligatory sob-backstory, kinda-redemption and Tsukuyo supporting Jiraia so he can gaze upon the moon one last time, clearly in parallel to Housen and the sun (which itself is nice admittedly). It's extremely formulaic by now and the only way I'll get to care for moments like these is if the writing is concise, on point and the villain already felt at least slightly relatable beforehand. I won't shed a tear for a maniac who, while grinning, proclaims his inane actions full of murderous intent, just because you then tack on a supremely tragic story at the very end. I mean, the guy's seriously lying there with a massive cut to his neck and both him and Shounen-Jump-Ninja narrate his backstory for minutes on end. Rather cliched. He just tried to destroy all of Yoshiwara and killing many of its citizens for fucks sake, and every one of those people has their own, perhaps tragic, backstory. I find it perverse how hard the show attempts to get us to empathize with the major scumbags but pays little attention to the small people in these circumstances. It was the worst for the Shinsengumi Crisis arc where literally dozens of loyal Shinsengumi grunts died fighting for Kondo but when Itou is about to die Gin, Kondo and Hijikata risk their lives in order to save his, with Gin (I think) even literally taking the bullet for him. All while grunts are still dying left, right and center.

Since Kagura's brother killed tens of the Hyakka grunts, pretty much for fun, I'd hope he won't get much screen time for his redemption but by now I'm certain it's going to happen.

I'll reply to the replies concerning my previous post in a bit.

Late to the party.

I wouldn't shed a tear for Jiraia either, that doesn't make his backstory less important. No matter how far we fall, we can still be forgiven.

Clov

I just personally don't like his style. It doesn't appeal to me. So I guess... I'm a crybaby. :)

You know, I've seen you say this a few times already, but I still don't understand it. Yuasa typically doesn't stick to one sort of style. The Tatami Galaxy looks nothing like Kaiba, which looks nothing like Kemonozume, which looks nothing like Ping-Pong, etc. Looking at the PV for Devilman, it once again doesn't look like his prior projects. Do you just not like any of his styles at all, or is it just that you dislike anything that doesn't fall under typical anime design? I honestly don't get it.

http://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1489572609

Devilman Crybaby intends to adapt the entire original manga and be faithful to the tone, violence, eroticism, and the original ending. It will bring Nagai's original vision to audience with modern animation techniques. It will debut in early Spring 2018 worldwide on Netflix with 25 subtitle options and 10 spoken languages (Japanese + 9 dubs).

Wow! Sounds like a pretty ambitious project. Netflix really is throwing that money around.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Devilman Crybaby intends to adapt the entire original manga and be faithful to the tone, violence, eroticism, and the original ending. It will bring Nagai's original vision to audience with modern animation techniques. It will debut in early Spring 2018 worldwide on Netflix with 25 subtitle options and 10 spoken languages (Japanese + 9 dubs).

Probably going to have the usual people Aniplex uses to dub in English, so it'll have a good dub.

JCG

That sounds awesome. Which also serves to reinforce my previous point.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcist ep.48
What the fuck is Hairspay doing in the middle of my anime? WTF was that? The rest of the episode was alright, but, what a weird thing to add into something that should be dramatic and empowering for Rokuro.

duckroll

I've been waiting for a full Devilman adaptation since I first got into anime like, 13-14 or so years ago. I'm so happy.

The best part is, with Netflix being the exclusive distributor, no one has to even worry a single bit about TV ratings guidelines, or it getting "Berserk TV'd" or whatever. All the good and all the bad can be shown. It just depends on how Yuasa wants to depict it. This is really... a dream come true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom