• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I've seen you say this a few times already, but I still don't understand it. Yuasa typically doesn't stick to one sort of style. The Tatami Galaxy looks nothing like Kaiba, which looks nothing like Kemonozume, which looks nothing like Ping-Pong, etc. Looking at the PV for Devilman, it once again doesn't look like his prior projects. Do you just not like any of his styles at all, or is it just that you dislike anything that doesn't fall under typical anime design? I honestly don't get it.

Really? I see a lot of similarity in the art style of Ping Pong, Tatami Galaxy, and Devilman. The way he frames scenes. The way he uses color. The way the characters are animated. It's all very similar.

I have a pretty wide pallet when it comes to animation style. I can usually go for anything. But, as described above, the way he does things is not to my particular liking. It's unique, but to me just because something is unique doesn't make it great.

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

Everything was fantastic besides the just ok story. Contender for GOTY, but so many games I've been looking forward to also come out this year.

Clov

Really? I see a lot of similarity in the art style of Ping Pong, Tatami Galaxy, and Devilman. The way he frames scenes. The way he uses color. The way the characters are animated. It's all very similar.

I have a pretty wide pallet when it comes to animation style. I can usually go for anything. But, as described above, the way he does things is not to my particular liking. It's unique, but to me just because something is unique doesn't make it great.

I'll give you the way he frames scenes, but art style? Quite distinct between all three. I can't say that I find the color usage very similar either, though to be honest, though admittedly I'm not great at noticing colors. I don't think we've seen enough of Devilman yet to judge how the characters are animated, though Ping-Pong's cast tended to be exaggerated less of the time compared to The Tatami Galaxy's.

It's really too bad you don't like his various stylings, but that's alright. Though I'd like to add that people like Yuasa's work for more than just being "unique"; it is unique, but it's also well realized and executed, whether it's the surreal future societies of Kaiba, or the subjective world of The Tatami Galaxy. It's not just that it's different, it's that it's different and it works well. Well, not for everyone, I suppose.

duckroll

HOT TAKE: Yuasa's style isn't different for the sake of being different. It's different for the sake of showing us how shit PshycoNinja's taste is.

Discuss.

:D :D :D :D

zulux21

Does Hachi sleep with the drummer or the guitarist?

I don't actually remember what instruments people play lol. (note not nessicarily a confirmation she sleeps with any people in a band, just an outright statement of I can't tell you what anyone played... Nana is a singer... and yeah...)
I will also just say... there are quite a few episodes left :p

Twin star Exorcist 47

From Cornbread's reaction I was expecting worst, but it wasn't that bad. Still dumb but not that bad. Shame we go to this from the amazing episode 46 though.

élDLIVE 9-10

Perv Chuta is best Chuta haha. His reactions are just the absolute best. I love how wild his imagination can get. Also Mukuro Rokudo escaping from Reborn anime to hide from the Vendicare confirmed. I knew all these Reborn cameos weren't for nothing!

Narag

http://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1489572609

Devilman Crybaby intends to adapt the entire original manga and be faithful to the tone, violence, eroticism, and the original ending. It will bring Nagai's original vision to audience with modern animation techniques. It will debut in early Spring 2018 worldwide on Netflix with 25 subtitle options and 10 spoken languages (Japanese + 9 dubs).

hype

HOT TAKE: Yuasa's style isn't different for the sake of being different. It's different for the sake of showing us how shit PshycoNinja's taste is.

Discuss.

:D :D :D :D

But everyone already knows that.

Aki-at

Logan

I did not cry as much as I thought I would. Still enjoyable and I'm going to miss both Jackman and Stewart :(

Basilisk - 13

This is like a football match, I know I was calling the Kouga useless but ever since they found out they're involved in a competition to the very end they've brought their numbers back up.

kewlmyc

Konosuba S2 10

Good episode. I'd say that this season was ultimately better than the last one. Hopefully we get the 3rd season since it should cover volume 5 and 6, which has some of the best scenes/scenarios of the series in them.

Twin Star Exorcist 48

-Allies sacrificing themselves in funny meaningless ways to let the Rokuro go on
-Disney like singing to cheer up Rokuro
-Maximum shonen cheese
-bad animation quality

10/10

Ok THIS episode was pretty bad lol.

Cornbread78

Fantastic Children ep.3
6rOC6M6.jpg
I'm not sure how everything works yet, whether it's time travel or reincarnation but the "new cast" is assembling currently.

Tuck

Denno Coil 1-3
I like this so far. Augmented reality is the major thing here and they do some pretty cool things with it. Seem to have some secrets up its sleeve. Good animation so far.

One minor thing is that some of the augmented reality stuff doesn't quite make sense - i.e humans aren't part of the digital space, so when Satchii is coming right for them, they should be able to run right through. In Episode 3, a girl put up a digital wall and couldn't run through that either. So, I guess they are being consistent, at least?

Devilman Crybaby intends to adapt the entire original manga and be faithful to the tone, violence, eroticism, and the original ending. It will bring Nagai's original vision to audience with modern animation techniques. It will debut in early Spring 2018 worldwide on Netflix with 25 subtitle options and 10 spoken languages (Japanese + 9 dubs).

So CGI then?

Either way, I'm down for this.

duckroll

Science Saru is a digtial studio: https://www.sciencesaru.com/

I believe Yuasa founded it as a place where he and his collaborators can make anime more easily without the constrains of traditional studios and their backward production processes. I don't think Yuasa is particularly interested in CG or anything that is cost prohibitive. He's just very good at putting together the top animation talent in the industry and getting work out quick.

We gotta keep in mind that Japan's animation production process is still REALLY dated. Most studios aren't well equipped to handle animators who work with tablets rather than paper, etc. It's sad.

Cornbread78

Denno Coil 1-3
One minor thing is that some of the augmented reality stuff doesn't quite make sense - i.e humans aren't part of the digital space, so when Satchii is coming right for them, they should be able to run right through. In Episode 3, a girl put up a digital wall and couldn't run through that either. So, I guess they are being consistent, at least?

There are a few things that still didn't make sense to me at the end because they don't really hold your hand when talking about the tech. However, that doesn't mean that it isn't a good story and fun ride to the finish.

Nana ep.12
8Hwq0Hk.gif

Fuck you Shoji, fuck you.

You haven't seen the half of it yet.

Man, this just sounds better and better. Netflix finally stepping up to the plate and delivering something really promising.

No kidding. That looks stunning.

Suite Precure 3

We finally meet Hibiki's wondercunt dad, the man responsible for killing 3rd grader Hibiki's ambition of music in an otherwise talented kid. Granted it's one peek into a future set of issues Hibiki has with her parents.

Hibiki and Kanade still fought, but it was rather toned down now that I look back on this. Kanade is simply trying to be a good friend despite losing a year of their friendship over something that was easily solvable. In a sense, she finally realizes what her dad meant, enough to fully initiate her subplot throughout the show.

Given how low conflict later seasons have become, as friends are rather chummy the moment they join (MahoGirls broke that recently), it's rather refreshing that they don't just act like they're chummy immediately, but making strides to get back to where they were before.

duckroll

That would be cool. Going to do a massive "Called it" if I end up being right though lol

End up being right on what? There's a teaser trailer, and we know the studio making it. It's 2D. Both of Yuasa's films coming out this year are from his studio too. It looks like he doesn't need to work with a main studio like Madhouse or Tatsunoko anymore.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Maidragon would be a lot better without loli yuri and shotatits.

End up being right on what? There's a teaser trailer, and we know the studio making it. It's 2D. Both of Yuasa's films coming out this year are from his studio too. It looks like he doesn't need to work with a main studio like Madhouse or Tatsunoko anymore.

The animation of the new series winding up being CGI. I'm only kidding around.

Lucoa is in MaiDragon because the mangaka can't goddamn help himself and has to put massive titties into everything. Except I can't understand what my husband is saying? Maybe? Probably not.

Lucoa doesn't even have the largest in the series either. Dont think the anime will get that far though

That's a big if and not much different than what people say about things like No Game No Life at this point.

NGNL was far more egregious with that stuff.

Also MaiDragon is a good looking show, unlike NGNL

Well it's true.

If No Game No Life got rid of it's excessive fan-service and loli bullshit it wouldn't take away from the rest of the excellent shit going on.

If Maidragon avoided the shotatits lolilust stuff, it would likewise strengthen the show.

For people who hate Lucoa. I.E. not me or Puruzi

PK Gaming

You really hate Darkness, don't you? What did she do to you, grind her feet on your new couch?

I don't really hate her, but she's by far the worst character on the show. Not even just the worst character, but the weakest aspect of the show personified (ie: jokes drag on for too long and it kills the pacing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom