• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puruzi

Banned
Well it's true.

If No Game No Life got rid of it's excessive fan-service and loli bullshit it wouldn't take away from the rest of the excellent shit going on.

If Maidragon avoided the shotatits lolilust stuff, it would likewise strengthen the show.

For people who hate Lucoa. I.E. not me or Puruzi
Im glad you know how great Lucoa is

Also Darkness is excellent.

Line_HTX

duckroll was right. Augmented Reality IS The future!

Of course, Kiritobread created this timeline where this movie was the best, lolol

To be fair, since most of the jokes and shota shit with her in the manga are like...a panel or page it can be ignored or go by way quicker than in the anime so it's not nearly as abrupt or invasive, coupled with the fact that when she's in semi-serious scenes she is significantly more interesting and doesn't focus on boobs/shota.

On the other hand, booooooOOOOOOoooooobs

KraytarJ

Konosuba S2 END
I got my hopes up that this season wouldn't just be another 10 episodes. They were so expertly dashed, but on the bright side that was one hell of a ride from start to finish and unlike so many of the heavy hitters last year they stuck the landing with some truly epic shit.

Now we just need season 3 next year.

PK Gaming

It's a shame too cause her arc was really interesting but Jesus

If twitter were to find out about the events of that arc...

k55haX1.gif

zulux21

NGNL was far more egregious with that stuff.

Also MaiDragon is a good looking show, unlike NGNL

personally I think NGNL is the better looking show. I really liked how NGNL looked while maid dragon is pretty boring to look at. I mean maid dragon doesn't look bad, but it's just meh to me.

granted I am also sitting here talking with someone about how I think Zelda Breath of the wild is going to take the crown for biggest disappointment of the generation for me (Halo 3 had it last generation) so my tastes are clearly abnormal :p

zulux21

Aren't the novels meant to be pretty bad?

I haven't actually read them yet, but my wife has and she is enjoying them. (yen on in general does a pretty good job localizing them, with just a few typos here and there)

I mean, they are what the anime is based off of, and they really didn't change much from what I know.

they might be the next ones I read after I finish the sword art online ones and no game no life 5 though.

sword art online progressive is going to be interesting to see reactions if it gets animated. (quite a bit different than normal sword art online, though normal sword art online is already decently different from the anime)

DiGiKerot

Aren't the novels meant to be pretty bad?

They're fine as far as light novels go - I mean, I've not dropped off them yet - but it is one of those cases where the anime covers all the best material and stops at what is arguably the best spot. They really ratchet up the DEEP LORE and the level of narrative convolution from the next volume onwards, and its mostly not to the benefit of the work itself.

[A Silent Voice] - Round 2

Why hasn't duckroll watched the AOTY 2016/2017 yet?

I've seen it three times at this point, and still feel like I could get something new out of watching it over again.

What other loli?

Sounds like a bad, NON-CANON doujin.

It's a shame too cause her arc was really interesting but Jesus

If twitter were to find out about the events of that arc...

k55haX1.gif

I don't remember what you guys are referring to, is it iruru

all i remember is
kobayashi turns into a dude for like two chapters

personally I think NGNL is the better looking show. I really liked how NGNL looked while maid dragon is pretty boring to look at. I mean maid dragon doesn't look bad, but it's just meh to me.

One is KyoAni and the other looks like...uh, I mean literally any image of the show says it for me;

but in the hand shakers/berserk era this is actually pretty good.

zulux21

so finally did my dig through next season as my friends and I are going to do our spring anime picks.

and... I am not going to have any free time at all during the spring anime season @___@

so many series that I know for a fact I will be checking out regardless of ratings, I haven't had this many in a very long time.

heck I didn't even realize we were getting a spirited sequel to Oremo :p

I only watched two episodes of Dragon Maid, but I would describe it as an okay looking show. It's attractive, and definitely has the kyoani polish, but I never found the show particularly interesting looking.

Definitely better looking than NGNL tho.

They're fine as far as light novels go - I mean, I've not dropped off them yet - but it is one of those cases where the anime covers all the best material and stops at what is arguably the best spot. They really ratchet up the DEEP LORE and the level of narrative convolution from the next volume onwards, and its mostly not to the benefit of the work itself.

Eww... More MgRonald's, less lore.

That's a big if and not much different than what people say about things like No Game No Life at this point.

I can't speak to No Game No Life, which I haven't seen. But my main problem with Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is that I really like what the show is going for when it focuses on a more warm, emotionally sincere, tender tone - something which from all accounts is to an improvement over the source material. But then it lapses back into crude sex jokes of the most eyeroll-worthy variety, undermining the sincerity of the quieter moments. It's hard to take the relationships between the characters as seriously as the show sometimes wants me to when at other times it's portraying the characters as merely taking advantage of each other for immediate sexual gratification. The show is a poster child for the kind of thing lapsed anime fans frequently complain about, the "otaku pandering is ruining anime that could otherwise be good" position.

rofl. I thought I saw a thread on the OT saying it looked normal now? Still looks like the Dreamcast game.

That thread title was a joke/troll.

Szadek

Twin Star Exorcists - Ep. 48
This week: Twin Star Exorcists : The Musical.
Seriously, what the fuck was that?
I kind of like Suzu, but this was just so random
The rest of the episode was alright.

I haven't actually read them yet, but my wife has and she is enjoying them. (yen on in general does a pretty good job localizing them, with just a few typos here and there)

I mean, they are what the anime is based off of, and they really didn't change much from what I know.

they might be the next ones I read after I finish the sword art online ones and no game no life 5 though.

sword art online progressive is going to be interesting to see reactions if it gets animated. (quite a bit different than normal sword art online, though normal sword art online is already decently different from the anime)

Having read both 1 and 2 of the Light Novels they're pretty close to the anime. The first novel feels a bit boring at times, and the writing for it... I dunno, something seems a bit bland in the way the story is told. I actually thought the second was an improvement, but neither really captures what the animation and voice acting brought to the story.

Also, the anime contains, as far as I can tell, a slew of original subplots that aren't in the Light Novels. The late night school episode, the buying stuff online and trying to return it plot, and the trip to the zoo/fan service episode. None of that is in the Light Novels (at least through Vol 2.)

So I wouldn't say they're bad per se, I had fun with Vol 1. and quite a bit with Vol 2, but the anime really is the better experience. In fact the way the the anime wraps you could basically jump into Vol 3 and not be too lost at all.

Cornbread78

Nana ep 13-14
9QFdM6h.jpg

Man, I wish Nana just punched
Shoji and the little tramp, Sachiko
He is truly a despicable human and needs to get a beat down. Where Hachi is weak and needy, Nana is strong willed and independent, which is why their relationship works so damn well and is a pleasure to watch develop.

Cornbread78

Sekirei ep. 10-END S1
3ZonJI0.jpg

I'm not sure why I never cleared this off my MAL, but I definitely watched these episodes before; not a bad recap, however, the show is still meh at best. The fight scenes were all-right, but the whole a$$-pull power-up was a bit much....

Oh well, I'll continue my onslaught of finishing all of these incomplete shows on my "currently Watching" list. Next up is DearS.

I just realized how many trashy shows I've started watching, but just couldn't finish.... Maybe I don't like trashy anime that much after all, lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Maid Dragon 10

I wish Kobayashi was my mom, but I want Elma and Lucoa as my big sisters, not Tohru.
Who's going to feed you then? Or are you just going to suck Lucoa's tits forever?

I think it can get boring.
I doubt life with dragon big sisters would be very boring going by how Kanna and Tohru's relationship is.

Someone bullying you? Have Elma nee-san turn them to dust. Wanna go somewhere? Hitch on ride on Lucoa's back to the north pole!!

Haly

I doubt life with dragon big sisters would be very boring going by how Kanna and Tohru's relationship is.

Someone bullying you? Have Elma nee-san turn them to dust. Wanna go somewhere? Hitch on ride on Lucoa's back to the north pole!!

Yeah but you're not living with Kanna/Tohru. You're living with bouncytits mcbreastmilk and useless Elma who always plays by the rules.

Haly

Personally I think Fafnir/Tohru is best combo. Fafnir to play Dark Souls with. Tohru to take care of the household.

Haly

Elma is the kind of dragon who, after accidentally destroying your room with her dragon powers, would offer to pay for the repair fees instead of fixing it with magic.

DiGiKerot

Apparently SAO: Ordinal Scale has done 1.7 billion yen in 4 weeks. Is that a lot? Not so much? ????

It's very good for a late night anime movie. I think Garupan topped out at 2.45b, and that was after being open for an entire year. It's hard to say how much momentum it'll sustain, but it'll probably end up at least around the same ballpark as theatrical K-On, and will have far better international takings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom