• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
So are they using any of the footage from the TV show? I remember hearing that they were despite how stupid that sounds.
You might have asked for this: TVシリーズで何度か言及されながらも詳細は描かれなかった「ファースト・サマー・オブ・ラブ」がついに映像化される。
This is how they get you. They tempt you with something you want. You know it's going to end badly but you still want it.

duckroll

So are they using any of the footage from the TV show? I remember hearing that they were despite how stupid that sounds.

新作映像
と
再撮影された
新たな映像
で
構成
。

(Answer is yes, but it is probably literally like Rebuild where it's keyframes being completely refinished and recomposited and not in a cheap way... hopefully)

Jarmel

Banned
新作映像
と
再撮影された
新たな映像
で
構成
。

(Answer is yes, but it is probably literally like Rebuild where it's keyframes being completely refinished and recomposited and not in a cheap way... hopefully)

That seems stupid. It would have to be completely redone though as hell the resolution isn't even the same.

Cornbread78

Fantastic Children ep.4
GXj0dkn.jpg
Pretty fun adventure to free
Helga from the children's home
but there are also a ton of little things going on that are completely unexplained....for now, lol.

Jarmel

Banned
The only major staff member that isn't coming back from the original TV show is Eiji Nakada. This is probably because he's working on the Code Geass revival project.

JCG

The only major staff member that isn't coming back from the original TV show is Eiji Nakada. This is probably because he's working on the Code Geass revival project.

That would be a shame, though I imagine a lot of his original animation could be repurposed all the same, but you'd think he may be able squeeze in some time since Code Geass is also going through the whole compilation routine this year.

Can't imagine that these compilations, even if they go the early Rebuild route, would be as demanding as working on a weekly TV show.

Jarmel

Banned
This is really frustrating as the staff list is really really fucking good. Kurashima did an outstanding job as Chief AD for Xam'd and is excellent at replicating Yoshida's character designs. This should visually look goddamn great. They even have Dai Sato doing scripts so the story might not be a dumpster fire.

It's a fucking tragedy though that they're going back to this same well instead of making something new.

JCG

It's a fucking tragedy though that they're going back to this same well instead of making something new.

It's the same curse/blessing of appealing to nostalgia as a source of profit.

Still, I'd also rather see more new things (even though they might not always be what I or others care to watch).

Hamst3r

Wait, Naruto Shippuden is actually ending next week? Sure there's Boruto after that, but still, I'll finally be able to mark Shippuden off as complete on MAL.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 78 - I think I'm liking this arc more than the tournament arc. Territories are neat. I wish the mansion bit went on longer than just 4 episodes though, I was enjoying the mind-fight.

duckroll

Can't imagine that these compilations, even if they go the early Rebuild route, would be as demanding as working on a weekly TV show.

Errr. It's much more demanding working on feature films than on a TV series. Especially with regards to being able to work on multiple projects at a time.

JCG

Errr. It's much more demanding working on feature films than on a TV series. Especially with regards to being able to work on multiple projects at a time.

I can see your point but, to be fair, I was specifically thinking about this type of film (a compilation or re-edit that's at least partially based on old material) rather than making completely new content. Though I might be underestimating the complexity.

duckroll

I can see your point but, to be fair, I was specifically thinking about this type of film (a compilation or re-edit that's at least partially based on old material) rather than making completely new content. Though I might be underestimating the complexity.

It depends on the project. Something like Pocketful of Rainbows was super weird and probably didn't need a ton of animation resources so much as editing resources. Something like the Code Geass films require almost no effort at all comparatively.

Rebuild is a very different beast. It referenced a lot of existing footage by using the original layouts and keyframes as a base, but pretty much all the backgrounds, cleanup, finishing, etc were brand new work. In many cases the scenes were redrawn with the original as reference. I dunno if they are putting in as much effort here, but based on the trailer they want this to look brand new with theatrical quality animation. So...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
My fear is that this is coming out back to back to back years. Doesn't it normally take a while for these movies to be made and to be of high quality? Sorry for the dumb question. I'm not familiar with the movie making process for animes.

Cornbread78

Re:Zero - All:[/B]
I actually quit this show on the first episode like, 2 minutes before
THE WHOLE POINT OF THE SHOW IS REVEALED
Really glad I gave it another chance. The concept goes exactly where I wanted it to go, and most of the characters have decent personalities. (Emilia is literally garbage.)
I get the complaints about Subaru, but goddamn the guy works with what he has and makes it happen. It's a nice play on the "coming to another world" concept and I hope there's a second season soon.

Yeah Re;Zero didn't invent the wheel, but it had really good inpleimplementation or the concepts. Also, regardless of his good qualities, Subaru is a douche and who is Emelia again? Rem is the only "girl" worth talking about...

JCG

It depends on the project. Something like Pocketful of Rainbows was super weird and probably didn't need a ton of animation resources so much as editing resources. Something like the Code Geass films require almost no effort at all comparatively.

Rebuild is a very different beast. It referenced a lot of existing footage by using the original layouts and keyframes as a base, but pretty much all the backgrounds, cleanup, finishing, etc were brand new work. In many cases the scenes were redrawn with the original as reference. I dunno if they are putting in as much effort here, but based on the trailer they want this to look brand new with theatrical quality animation. So...

The impression the Eureka 7 trailer gives me is that the prequel sequences showing the First Summer of Love are guaranteed to be entirely new and full of movie quality, but I don't know if they'll really go that far with the rest of it. Well, it will be interesting to find out!

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't really into anime anymore, but I can't help but be excited considering the OG team is working on this, and that they will flesh out the Summer of Love concept from the series.

Also I kinda always felt that BONES would eventually trilogy up the original E7.

I just hope with Sato back the tone of the original is brought back. That they actually got Hardfloor to record Acperience 7 for the first movie is kind of amazing and is a good sign to me...

trejo

Guys, these movies are going to be shit. Eureka Seven is dead. Pocketful of Rainbows and AO murdered it and buried the corpse.

Just hold on to those memories of the original and let go. It pains me to see you falling for it again. :(

I want to believe.

PK Gaming

Guys, these movies are going to be shit. Eureka Seven is dead. Pocketful of Rainbows and AO murdered it and buried the corpse.

Just hold on to those memories of the original and let go. It pains me to see you falling for it again. :(

I want to believe.

You're looking at it the wrong way.

AO was so earth-shatteringly terrible, that there's literally nowhere to go but up. Regardless of how good these movies are, you don't have to let it affect your fondness for the original.

duckroll

My fear is that this is coming out back to back to back years. Doesn't it normally take a while for these movies to be made and to be of high quality? Sorry for the dumb question. I'm not familiar with the movie making process for animes.

From what I heard they could have been working on these for a year already. Or more?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I watched all of Madoka in the past 2 days, and honestly wasn't that impressed. It likely doesn't help that I know that the Cat is evil and that its a deconstruction anime going in, but I didn't really get attached to or care about any of the characters, which killed the show for me.

The OP having nothing to do with the main show was pretty neat misdirection though.

LotusHD

Banned
I watched all of Madoka in the past 2 days, and honestly wasn't that impressed. It likely doesn't help that I know that the Cat is evil and that its a deconstruction anime going in, but I didn't really get attached to or care about any of the characters, which killed the show for me.

The OP having nothing to do with the main show was pretty neat misdirection though.

The show was good enough, but I thought the movie was a pretty damn good sequel tbh

PK Gaming

Knowing about Kyubey and the show's themes definitely takes away from the intrigue, but it's still a solidly constructed anime, and absolutely deserving of the overwhelming praise. Maybe you might have liked it more when it was airing.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Knowing about Kyubey and the show's themes definitely takes away from the intrigue, but it's still a solidly constructed anime, and absolutely deserving of the overwhelming praise. Maybe you might have liked it more when it was airing.
I think that is very true, the twists don't have much impact on me.

I also came off watching all aired episode of Rewrite, which also deals with multiple time lines. Now Rewrite, thats a fun show. Complete nonsense, objectively bad first season, but fun.

trejo

I know for me half the fun was losing our collective shit in the OT back when it was airing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Every shounen ever made > Iron Fist.

(duckroll tried, but I still don't understand why these magical Asians are different from the Cumberbatch magical Asians)

/XX/

「吉成曜画集 ラクガキ編[手塚治虫キャラクター]」刊行短編アニメーションを収録したBlu-ray付き! | WEBアニメスタイル
http://animestyle.jp/news/2017/03/17/11072/

Another sketchbook from Yō Yoshinari published by Yūichirō "animesama" Oguro, of WEB ANIMESTYLE fame. This time it is centred on his fan illustration work of Osamu Tezuka properties... and the best thing is that the product includes a Blu-ray Disc with what I suppose is a good quality version of Mr. Yoshinari's animated short film tribute to characters of Osamu Tezuka, that he uploaded to OPEN POST (and titled 「手塚キャラ動かしてみました」) under the pseudonym Otonari Kobo (おとなり工房). Unlike his posts to flipbook.in that are still up, the original homage video is sadly long gone, but thankfully Tsuka is always watching:

:: CATSUKA PLAYER :: You Yoshinari - Animations hommages à Tezuka
http://www.catsuka.com/player/you_yoshinari_openpost_tezuka

Now imagine those cuts on a video with some decent picture quality! :-O

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Scum's Wish Episode 10:

Well, the show has gotten more interesting now that we are back on the main focus full time.

Szadek

Sakura Trick - Ep. 3
Decent episode, but not too much happend.

Of course there was some more yuri, but obviosly nobody cares about that.

Cornbread78

Scum's Wish ep.10
Oh Ms. Akane, who's your student baby, who's your student.... Meh episode that didn't really go anywhere. At least Mugi is developing, then regressing at the same time..

Nana ep.15
Oh Hachi, you are definitely a handful and very childish... Looks like she will go into full slut mode soon.

Narag

Milky Holmes Alternative 1

Concept is being played straight here with Milky Holmes retaining their powers and also being rather competent at their actual detective work. Expected it to suck but there's some good drama therein and, like I said on twitter, I think a strength of the franchise is Milky Holmes works so well in various incarnations due to the main four mostly bouncing off a stronger action character who sets the tone. I'd seen Kobayashi here and there in the other stuff but he was pretty good in this.

blurr

Next season I'm looking forward to

MHA S2 - looks great and I liked the first season
AoT S2 - any amount of enthusiasm towards this franchise has been deflated due to the long gap and a lot of quality shows since the first season but let's see
Kabukibu - I've only see a promo image but that's been compelling enough
Sakura Quest - need I say more
Key and Peele - Gonna watch whatever I've left over

Question regarding E7 movies - how do they tie in with the 2005 TV show? I don't have a fair memory of its ending so I'll probably read up on it some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom