• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Oh wait, I thought he was talking about Seto no...whatever, the mermaid bride. Yeah if you don't like pander-y shows, stay the waaaaaaaaaaaaay fuck away from SnO

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So that's two nos and a yes. I can't find any more comedies that look interesting. If anybody has recommendations I'll gladly take them. I'd say everything that I've watched but I haven't updated my MAL in ages. And I'm so lazy. Guess I'll keep looking.
Even if it's not updated, it's better than nothing. Helps to narrow down the list of possible recommendations instead of blindly throwing out titles.

Just to make sure, have you seen GTO? Irresponsible Captain Tylor? Full Metal Panic Fumoffu? Hare nochi Guu?

Of course, there's always Urusei Yatsura, but that involves commitment since it doesn't actually get good until season 2. There's also Maison Ikkoku which is romance and comedy.

Gazoinks

I need a good comedy after all the drama I've been seeing. Is Sora No Otoshimono any good? I see it's a favorite but is the comedy actually good I mean.

I second this question! I haven't watched a good comedy since Nodame Cantabile, and that's a RomCom so it's kind of different.

Jojo 20

Feels!
Ceasar's death is one of the most emotional ones in the series. Lisa Lisa and Joseph finally breaking down and crying after finding his bandanna is sad times. At least he went out fabulously.

Seriously the worst family tradition though.

Seen Detroit Metal City or Cromartie high school?

Yes I have. Love those two shows. Freddie Mercury-kun and Yagi-sama forever. I've also seen plenty of high school comedies. If ridiculous enough I don't mind ecchi humor such as bloody noses. It worked really well for Baka Test as honestly I wasn't ever uncomfortable with anything ecchi as it was pretty mild (if I recall correctly). Unlike Highschool DxD where everything was extremely perverted and I had to drop it early on.

Oh wait, I thought he was talking about Seto no...whatever, the mermaid bride. Yeah if you don't like pander-y shows, stay the waaaaaaaaaaaaay fuck away from SnO

Mermaid bride is great. The side characters are too much.

Even if it's not updated, it's better than nothing. Helps to narrow down the list of possible recommendations instead of blindly throwing out titles.

Just to make sure, have you seen GTO? Irresponsible Captain Tylor? Full Metal Panic Fumoffu? Hare nochi Guu?

Of course, there's always Urusei Yatsura, but that involves commitment since it doesn't actually get good until season 2. There's also Maison Ikkoku which is romance and comedy.

I've seen Fumoffu. Though you just reminded me that I recently said I was finally going to give GTO a watch, so thanks. I'll see what Captain Tylor and the others are about as well.

OceanBlue

Haha definitely. I can't imagine Admiral Woofington liking the show at all.

Regarding Seto no Hanayome, it does pick up after the first few episodes, but I guess that doesn't really matter if you aren't a fan of the style of humor.

CorvoSol

Mermaid bride is great. The side characters are too much.

Wait, no, I'm thinking of something else, nevermind.

ANYWAY, might I recommend G Gundam if you haven't seen it? It's funny for the sake of SUPAH NATIONALISM if nothing else.

Which reminds me.

SDBURTON HAVE YOU SEEN G GUNDAM YET? Because you should.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 45

That whole thing with traveling into Roy's diary was pretty hard-hitting. Especially watching him break down after seeing the tapestry again as an old man, remembering how he and the other ex-queen's grandchildren had abandoned her, and begged for forgiveness.

Several of them are blatant rips of Urusei Yatsura characters, and not done as well.

I added it. Man has the Inuyasha author done a lot of long-running series. Maison Ikkoku and this are a bit overwhelming due to the episode count. I might leave these for the summer. I also added Captain Tylor and Hare Nochi Guu so thanks.

Wait, no, I'm thinking of something else, nevermind.

ANYWAY, might I recommend G Gundam if you haven't seen it? It's funny for the sake of SUPAH NATIONALISM if nothing else.

Is SUPAH NATIONALISM the equivalent of GOT'DANG PATRIOTISM ala Murica? If so, I'm down.

Also what's the name of the show you were showing with the hyper texan mech rider who fucked all the bitches? I need more GOT'DANG PATRIOTISM

Hare nochi Guu is the same director as Blood-C.

Never seen Blood-C due to MAL ratings being just ok for the first and second season. How is it compared to Blood+? I mean I remember liking Blood+ when it aired on Adult Swim a while back.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
DfUxlP8.jpg

Not really yuri, but I can't believe that someone decided to fill a room full of lilies to symbolize pseudo-tv lesbians. I blame SDBurton.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I added it. Man has the Inuyasha author done a lot of long-running series. Maison Ikkoku and this are a bit overwhelming due to the episode count. I might leave these for the summer. I also added Captain Tylor and Hare Nochi Guu so thanks.
Ranma 1/2 started out fun, but Takahashi ended up tying everything together such that nothing could change without the whole thing falling apart, so everything got inflexible and the show ended up repeating itself with the same stuff because there wasn't much else it could do.

Inuyasha is definitely her weakest entry, at least going by the anime representation of it.

Never seen Blood-C due to MAL ratings being just ok for the first and second season. How is it compared to Blood+? I mean I remember liking Blood+ when it aired on Adult Swim a while back.
The Blood series have nothing to do with each other beyond starring a vampire named Saya that fights other vampiric monsters. Blood-C in particular was designed by female manga author group CLAMP, and their particular brand of tendencies are on display. The result is both entertaining and memorable.

Also, as I told PshycoNinja, MAL ratings aren't something to place much confidence in.

CorvoSol

Is SUPAH NATIONALISM the equivalent of GOT'DANG PATRIOTISM ala Murica? If so, I'm down.

Also what's the name of the show you were showing with the hyper texan mech rider who fucked all the bitches? I need more GOT'DANG PATRIOTISM

Why that would be G Gundam! It's a mixture of GOD BLESS AMERICA JESUS CHRIST'S FAVORITE BIRTHPLACE and Hilarious national stereotypes.

The Zebra Gundam of Neo-Kenya and the Nether Gundam of Neo-Holland.

The Nether Gundam spends literally the entire tournament in a field pretending to be an actual wind mill until the finals.

The other Texan who pilots a mech and fucks all the bitches is TEXAS JACK who pilots the TEXAS MACK. But so far he's been in a grand total of 1 episode of Getter Robo, which, while awesome, is not nearly enough.

G Gundam's Chibodee Crockett and his Gundam Maxter (Plays Football, carries revolvers, has a surfboard and boxes shirtless--the Mech, by the way) is a major character.

You had me at windmill gundam and Texas Jack who pilots the Texas Mack. Added so high into the list it might as well pierce the skies with its wind-drills. I'll probably watch GTO and this throughout the weekend.

Ranma 1/2 started out fun, but Takahashi ended up tying everything together such that nothing could change without the whole thing falling apart, so everything got inflexible and the show ended up repeating itself with the same stuff because there wasn't much else it could do.

Inuyasha is definitely her weakest entry, at least going by the anime representation of it.

The Blood series have nothing to do with each other beyond starring a vampire named Saya that fights other vampiric monsters. Blood-C in particular was designed by manga author group CLAMP, and their particular brand of tendencies are on display.

Also, as I told PshycoNinja, MAL ratings aren't something to place much confidence in.

Ranma 1/2 is honestly really great for me memories-wise. Haven't seen it again now that I'm older but as a kid I remember absolutely laughing my ass off with it. I'll go ahead and add Blood-c to the list though, might as well expand it.

As to MAL ratings, I know. But I tend to look at whether they're ranked within the first 2000 in the list. If it's ranked really low, like way lower than that, I'm a bit wary.

CorvoSol

You had me at windmill gundam and Texas Jack who pilots the Texas Mack. Added so high into the list it might as well pierce the skies with its wind-drills. I'll probably watch GTO and this throughout the weekend.

Do you know who Kallen Kozuki and Kamina call daddy? I'll show you who:

naYPqRZ.gif

This is Domon Kasshu. It's like if you took all of Koji Kabuto and Ryoma Nagare's Hot blood, sewed a cape out of it, and put it onto the world's most hot blooded guy.

THIS HAND OF MINE IS BURNING RED!!

tequila gundam.

tequila gundam

I purposefully did not cite the Tequila Gundam so he could experience that himself.

MAKE SURE YOU WATCH IT IN JAPANESE, WOOF, not because the English dub is bad, but because the mech names are THAT MUCH WACKIER plus Chibodee's frequent Engrish is that much funnier.

Quasar

I second this question! I haven't watched a good comedy since Nodame Cantabile, and that's a RomCom so it's kind of different.

Its a harem comedy. So if you like those, you might like this. I didn't much like the first season But for some reason I went back and tried the second season and thought it was OK for that kind of thing. Enough to then go and read the manga..which as those things tend to do, go off in directions I would not really have expected for a harem comedy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just offered advice on how to set the stage. They made the right decision damn it!
I will say, as perhaps one of the most gay-but-not-gay shows on TV, it makes Sakura Trick seem progressive. Even if they had the lesbian couple run away with each other.

Gazoinks

Its a harem comedy. So if you like those, you might like this. I didn't much like the first season But for some reason I went back and tried the second season and thought it was OK for that kind of thing. Enough to then go and read the manga..which as those things tend to do, go off in directions I would not really have expected for a harem comedy.

Harem is probably one of my least favorite sub-genres, but I've liked some stuff from it. Does Golden Boy count as harem?

That being said, I should probably watch some of the more essential comedies first, like Nichibros and DMC. :p

As to MAL ratings, I know. But I tend to look at whether they're ranked within the first 2000 in the list. If it's ranked really low, like way lower than that, I'm a bit wary.

Yeah, I use MAL ratings like I use Metacritic scores. It definitely shouldn't be a true marker of quality, but it can at least give you an idea of where it stands.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Happiness Charge Precure - 07

bsFpZbT.png
Kn2C0su.png

9HYxFbJ.png
cbmJcIa.png

:SDBURTON

Yeah, this OTP has some legs on it and without a doubt will most likely make its way to the top of the ranks for Precure Pairings. Nowhere close to the level of Love x Setsuna (yet), but damn this may actually get there.
Just kill of Seiji and you're golden!

CorvoSol

Yeah, this OTP has some legs on it and without a doubt will most likely make its way to the top of the ranks for Precure Pairings. Nowhere close to the level of Love x Setsuna (yet), but damn this may actually get there.

All I see are eyebrows and scissors for hair.

Mature

Mobile Police Patlabor - 44
Words escape me. Dirty Pair, Yatterman, Mobile Suit Gundam, Godzilla, Ultraman, Gigantor, Mounty Python and probably many other things I didn't catch were all referenced in this episode. I knew this was a perfect representation of New York CIty when the cab driver tried to murder Shige. CLAT forever.

Only a few more episodes left...

CorvoSol

Macross 7 3

Hey guys remember how Max and Millia fought really hard to overcome racial differences and be the first interracial couple back during the original Macross?

NOW THEY HATE EACH OTHER ENJOY THE FUTURE BITCHES.

The more Macross I watch the more convinced I become that Do You Remember Love is the only good thing in the franchise.

Harem is probably one of my least favorite sub-genres, but I've liked some stuff from it. Does Golden Boy count as harem?

That being said, I should probably watch some of the more essential comedies first, like Nichibros and DMC. :p

Yeah, I use MAL ratings like I use Metacritic scores. It definitely shouldn't be a true marker of quality, but it can at least give you an idea of where it stands.

Definitely watch DMC. One of my favorites due to its ridiculousness. In no other show does a man rape a tambourine and make the Tokyo Tower orgasm in pleasure.

Have you watched Arakawa Under the Bridge, perchance?

I have. Though I don't remember much of it, might give it another watch for old time's sake.

Polar Bear Cafe, maybe?
God I miss that show. I really do want a new season, I think it was announced and someone told me though don't quote me on that.

It's pretty funny. I'd recommend Minami-ke, but it has a mostly female cast.

This is decently rated too and if it's a comedy all the better. If the comedy is solid I don't mind cutesy stuff. It worked with Nichijou* and Acchi Kochi. DIdn't work for Azumanga Daioh, but not everyone is a winner.

*comedy was solid for me, need to mention that before somebody quotes and bolds the solid part and makes a snarky remark such as 'you thought that was solid comedy? PSHA!'

CorvoSol

Oh, okay Basara, yell at the young girl and blame her for the fact that you just punched those dudes in the face. Real manly.

Fuck Macross protagonists. They're like Gundam protagonists if Gundam protagonists could be bigger losers.

Lurky

Is Happiness Charge Precure actually good or are people just watching for the potential yuri?

Link Man

Banned
Toradora 8

iZQ3k0I8RO717.jpg

Now this was an interesting episode. It was cute to see Taiga complain about not having enough meat in her meals, only for
Ryuji to give her a bento full of meat before her big competition. Also, it looks like Taiga is developing feelings for Ryuji, yet she doesn't understand them and is left confused and frustrated.
And that climax, wow, did not expect something like that.

Really good character development, overall.

Tokyo Ravens end

So wait, are
Kon and Hishamaru the same person, or was the former just possessed by the latter or something? Or was Hishamaru sealed away in Kon and she needed some kind of catalyst to awaken her, which is why she never used those powers when they could be super useful?

Tokyo Ravens end

So wait, are
Kon and Hishamaru the same person, or was the former just possessed by the latter or something? Or was Hishamaru sealed away in Kon and she needed some kind of catalyst to awaken her, which is why she never used those powers when they could be super useful?

I think it's more of a situation where
Kon was like her devolved form. Her 'weak' form. Maybe she sealed her powers away until her master came back, and forgot about them until Harutora was in this particular situation of life threatening evidence due to the raven coat. Then she remembered. Or maybe he didn't give enough power before for her to come back.
Chances are the author didn't think it through too terribly much though.

GTO is great. It panders a lot though.

If it has heart, that's what matters. And so far it has heart. I'll keep watching. Like I said i can ignore ecchi humor if it's not the sole focus or exaggerated. So far I've laughed at his faces and how violent he gets. And it's highly rated enough for a reason (I would think)

Jintor

SYD 12

It's always weird when the show does a relationship heavy scene cos it does them... surprisingly kind of well, considering what kind of show it normally is.

Uomi best girl, but Kaichou will get him.

Yandere episode next! \o/ (But probably not)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SDBurton needs to redeem himself by engaging in more lesbianism than ever before!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom