• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noirulus

Gundam Build Fighters - 01

Wait, so who's the real main character? Sei is terrible at fighting. Is he going to be Reiji's Lucius Fox and simply build+maintain gandams for him?

Speaking of, did Reiji materialize out of thin air during the fight? Nobody seems to have found that weird other than Sei himself.

VM2ufHa.png
he6Ujn8.png

THIS SHOW PROMOTES CHEATING

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gundam Build Fighters - 01

Wait, so who's the real main character? Sei is terrible at fighting. Is he going to be Reiji's Lucius Fox and simply build+maintain gandams for him?

They're both the main characters.

And it's legal to have one builder and one fighter.

Haly

Yeah they're not getting married or anything.

OR ARE THEY??????????????

Nordicus

Yeah, I use MAL ratings like I use Metacritic scores. It definitely shouldn't be a true marker of quality, but it can at least give you an idea of where it stands.
MAL scores are very consistent... in that shoujo anime scores are inflated in such a way that hasn't been seen since early 1920s Germany

This is decently rated too and if it's a comedy all the better. If the comedy is solid I don't mind cutesy stuff.
Minami-ke is really really good. Hosaka is the best bishounen character in fiction

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Most anime fans are not discriminating consumers of the medium, and this is reflected in score aggregation sites. There is also a strong recency bias since most never bother to go back and watch stuff older than a few years ago.

Eusis

Most anime fans are not discriminating consumers of the medium, and this is reflected in score aggregation sites. There is also a strong recency bias since most never bother to go back and watch stuff older than a few years ago.
I remember someone complaining about that a few years back. Makes me wonder if stuff like Haruhi or Gurren Lagann is ancient news to them now, to me that's still pretty new while you need to go back to the 90s or earlier for something that can REALLY be considered old now, nevermind that I have a great time going back to the 80s for stuff like Urusei Yatsura and Dirty Pair.

And Studio Ghibli, but that's only natural.

You people are just jealous great masterpieces such as My Sister is In Love With Me But I Am a Bit Perverted and Also a Crossdressing Dinosaur are more well known than any of that boring stuff from the 80's and 90's

Haly

I say we just burn everyone who hasn't watched Utena at the stake.

Maybe torture them a bit first.

Eusis

Some 90's anime are starting to become straight-up forgotten, like the El Hazard OVA.
I thought Nozomi had re-released that, if but if I'm not totally misremembering that then I guess it hasn't happened yet. I remember hearing good things about it too, better than the TV series I caught a bit of anyway.

EDIT: Oh it was the TV series they got. Naturally.

I'm glad I'm safe as of about two years ago.

Nordicus

I remember hearing good things about it too, better than the TV series I caught a bit of anyway.
It is. The first version I watched was the TV series, and it was alright. The OVA however was WAY more interesting, had a very different plot, and most surprisingly, the protagonist had a completely different love interest. In the TV anime it was the princess, while in OVA it's the android/demon god Ifurita

Jintor

i just checked and i have two utena collections on the shelf. i'm not sure why, since i don't actually recall ever obtaining them. stuff just turns up

Eusis

It is. The first version I watched was the TV series, and it was alright. The OVA however was WAY more interesting, had a very different plot, and most surprisingly, the protagonist had a completely different love interest. In the TV anime it was the princess, while in OVA it's the android/demon god Ifurita
I wonder what the hold up is with Nozomi getting the OVA. I don't usually follow anime closely enough, but they got all off Tylor out here, and grabbed everything Dirty Pair, is there some weird licensing hang up with the OVA?

This is decently rated too and if it's a comedy all the better. If the comedy is solid I don't mind cutesy stuff. It worked with Nichijou and Acchi Kochi. DIdn't work for Azumanga Daioh, but not everyone is a winner.

It's a comedy, not a cute girls doing cute stuff show. It's structured more like a sitcom than anything else, but the emphasis is definitely on the humor, well other than in the disappointing season 2. Minami-ke is funnier than all of those shows mentioned.

Eusis

Humor for anime/manga can be wildly hit/miss for me. Urusei Yatsura worked well for the most part for me even in spite of the cultural/language based jokes that just don't translate well, but there was kind of a Simpsons-esque angle where everyone's kind of an asshole yet MOST have good sides to them.

Quasar

That's hardly an anime thing. Happens with film and videogames too.

Jintor

Digimon Adventures 02 - 5

"Number one: don't ever talk to me without calling me 'Sir'. Number two: DON'T EVER TALK TO ME!!!!"

I really do love what they did to this show. it's so dumb and cheesy, but it basically fits the way they cut, scored and made the thing anyway.

Eusis

That's hardly an anime thing. Happens with film and videogames too.
Yeah, the latter at least we can find examples of semi-frequently here, annoyingly enough. There was one guy brought up that asked seriously why people would bother with games like Secret of Mana anymore. Neophilia's kind of exasperating to see.

Though admittedly games have a technical angle that can make them harder to go back to as the ability to USE it can be an active hinderance. Going and watching a film from the 50s or 60s if not earlier doesn't exactly have that obstacle.

Quasar

MAL scores are very consistent... in that shoujo anime scores are inflated in such a way that hasn't been seen since early 1920s Germany

Well I can't say I really pay much attention to the scores, I have gotten use out of rankings though. I've frequently selected a genre I'm interested in and then looked at the first page or so of the highest rated things and tried those out. And typically that's worked out pretty well for me.

But yeah...numbers are pretty inflated. Which is which my average is probably 2 points before the average. And I know I'm lenient much of the time Even with shows I drop I rarely can bring myself to given things less than 4. On the other hand my list still lacks and 10s and I think one 9.

Quasar

Yeah, the latter at least we can find examples of semi-frequently here, annoyingly enough. There was one guy brought up that asked seriously why people would bother with games like Secret of Mana anymore. Neophilia's kind of exasperating to see.

Though admittedly games have a technical angle that can make them harder to go back to as the ability to USE it can be an active hinderance. Going and watching a film from the 50s or 60s if not earlier doesn't exactly have that obstacle.

Yeah. I'll admit I have trouble with older games. Or at least older games that I never played in the first place. I mean I can happily go back and player older computer games (and thats where my gaming started), but older console games I rarely can bring myself to play.

Eusis

Yeah. I'll admit I have trouble with older games. Or at least older games that I never played in the first place.
Mainly hits PC games for me. Something like Ultima has its required keys all over the place and the series loves making you create magic the hard way by mixing components together.

Jesus I've been marathoning GTO. Badass teacher with a great personality and a heart of gold is too addicting. I've shed some manly tears already. Gotta get some sleep but will most likely marathon this throughout the weekend

cnet128

Banned
if i don't like stuff i tend to stop watching it and not score it

Yeah, this.

Which is why my rating distribution looks like:

Heartcatch Precure! 40

And finally we have a villain defeated for good. Bye-bye, Sasorina.

So it turns out
even the villains themselves are formed from people's Heart Flowers just like the Desatorians they summon. They're not as easy to purify, naturally, but I guess that's balanced out by the fact that upon purification their Heart Flowers come with inbuilt rocket boost technology to take them straight back to their original owners. None of that manual restoration here! XD

At any rate, this makes me wonder if
one of the villains is going to turn out to be Yuri's long-lost father
. In fact, I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case. The question is, which one?

Quasar

MALgraph's math is pretty funny there. 0 "10s" = 1%, 3 "9s" = 0%.

Yeah. Someones math is fucked.

19 "1s" is pretty impressive.

Yeah. I kind of want to see the list of 1's

With my list, my 2 1's are Urotsukidouji and this seasons Ghost Rapist. And I was probably unfair with the latter it was just an angry gut reaction of episode 1.

Jintor

Digimon Adventures 02 - 6

Hahaha, yolei and mimi running the fuck away from digimon attacks that involve furniture falling from the sky - HOLY SHIT UTENA REFERENCE

06a.jpg

wut

wonzo

Banned

either i'm pro as fuck at choosing what to watch or i'm just another shiteater throwing out high scores like candy
it's the later mars of destruction 10/10 represent

cnet128

Banned
It completely wasted its premise, and was incredibly dull overall.

It's worth more points than that for the OP and ED alone (RIP Kikuchi Hajime's career =p)

Then there's the fact that the show is wonderful on every level. Except for the part where
the MC ends up with the wrong girl, but I thought she was the right girl back when I watched it xp And the right girl's rejection sequence is so beautiful that it's almost worth it. And the manga ending fixes it anyway. (Or the OVA, though I never watched that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom