• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
BjqJSDxCYAA3ULz.jpg

new Macross TV series coming.

More info here (well, not really more info, but at least another source)

ugh. Do not want. Let Macross die please.

Articalys

Well, I sure missed a few points of discussion overnight.

Of course they were gonna make more Macross, Kawamori was just busy with a bunch of other stuff in the meantime.

CorvoSol

New Macross? Thank Corvo!

I wish Macross could be better. If it could all be anywhere near DYRL's level it'd be great. Breaking up Max and Millia is almost as bad as the way Gundam wasted Amuro and Char.

That said, at the very least it'll look great. I mean, so far that's been the thing that's held Macross together. The mechanical animation always looks great.

Are we including AGE with that? Because if so, damn.

AGE's main protagonist, Flit, was evil. Macross protagonists are just all shit people. Hikaru jerks two girls around for years after the world has ended. Hibiki is . . . yeah. Isamu is a complete asshole who gets magnificently lucky. If Sharon hadn't decided to go nuts that day Isamu would've just looked like a total jackoff. And now Basara is blaming a little girl because he "had to use force." Which is basically Kawamori's equivalent of Kamille blaming people he kills by saying that if they hadn't resisted he wouldn't have had to kill them.

Except at least Kamille isn't blaming a little girl or trying to get people to listen to rock and roll during a fight.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
But Space Dandy ep13 airs in just 3 more hou.... oh. I see what you did there.
Is it actually? Funimation would be letting me down. I more just meant that last couple days have been super dry. I don't think a single person even bothered to post Sakura Trick impressions.

Space Dandy is cool now.

AGE's main protagonist, Flit, was evil. Macross protagonists are just all shit people. Hikaru jerks two girls around for years after the world has ended. Hibiki is . . . yeah. Isamu is a complete asshole who gets magnificently lucky. If Sharon hadn't decided to go nuts that day Isamu would've just looked like a total jackoff. And now Basara is blaming a little girl because he "had to use force." Which is basically Kawamori's equivalent of Kamille blaming people he kills by saying that if they hadn't resisted he wouldn't have had to kill them.

Except at least Kamille isn't blaming a little girl or trying to get people to listen to rock and roll during a fight.

When you put it this way...yeah, you make good points as always.

CorvoSol

When you put it this way...yeah, you make good points as always.

I do this thing where I paint more negative pictures of shows than I should, though. 'S why I'm rewatching Zeta, so I can see that there's a lot of good stuff with the bad.

Those are good points, but I don't care because I love Macross.

And that's okay. I don't really hate Macross. If anything I want to like it and the prospect of a new show is exciting because it is another chance for me to find more Macross to like. So far, DYRL and II aside, it's been hit and miss elements. I felt that large parts of the plot of + were dumb and Isamu got stupid lucky, but I actually liked the dynamic of three fucked up friends instead of "hero-singer-soldier love triangle." 7 is currently trying to murder Max x Millia and Basara is a dick, but otherwise taking the show too seriously is probably not the best idea. OG SDFM's love triangle was p. unbearable by the end, but it had high moments throughout.

DYRL is pure wonderful and II is pure awful.

hat_hair

DYRL is pure wonderful and II is pure awful.

Yeah, II was the one that was declared completely non-canon and ignored by everyone else, so I don't think about it too hard.
I really like Plus for having these older main characters that, although they all have issues around their past, they're still trying to do what they see as the right thing. It's a tragic situation.
7 is weird, and I think Basara is actually supposed to be insane. I've seen a lot of people who hate 7 because it's really stupid, but I love goofy stuff like that.
While I think SDF benefitted overall from the sudden expansion to 36 episodes, the stretching out of the love triangle was the weakest part of the expansion. I certainly screamed at Hikaru a few times to Just Dump Minmay Already.

Nafe

In response to all the MAL graphs: "Ratings are for nerds." -7Th ;p

Theonik, I tried a couple quick games of that 2048 game. Got one square to 256 and a score of 2300-something. Like most cellphone type games it might be fun to play for a few minutes to pass the time if there's nothing else to be done but otherwise I don't think I'll go back to it.

The question about 70's and 80's characters made me look a little bit at the shows I've watched and I saw Metal Skin Panic MADOX because some others had mentioned it and it reminded me that the disgruntled Vietnam veterans name is Lt. Kilgore,haha.

---

Jesus fuck Gaming side has been like on constant drama for the past few weeks. It's gone from Watch Dogs to Dark Souls II to now Oculus Rift. NeoGAF is going to be known as a bunch of whiners and exaggerators if this shit keeps up.

"Nintendo just keeps making sequels of Zelda,Metroid,Mario etc. Nintendo what are you doing?"
"Nintendo where's the new Zelda,Metroid,Mario? Nintendo what are you doing?"

Yeah, that gets old quick.

Before K-ON sexualized everything. :(

Haha, OK, I see this was mentioned here as well.

Yeah, K-ON ruined anime by bringing sex into it. Back in the day Mecha was pure as the driven snow. Getter Robo NEVER spent lingering gazes upon male and female bodies and Lord knows Koji, Boss and Tetsuya never did anything remotely untoward to Sayaka and Jun, who piloted mecha that fired breast missiles purely for technical reasons. And that paragon and saint of female portrayals in anime, Yoshiyuki Tomino, most definitely never sought to have ladies in scantily clad outfits who liked to shove Judau's face in between their breasts and force him to motorboat.

No sir, it was a cleaner, more wholesome time. Like the Bible, really.

This reminds me of people who will say there's no fanservice in Evangelion and that it all started with K-On or more recently etc. There's even the little gag to start with where Kotono Mitsuishi says there'll be more service next time during the episode previews.

Sadly, it's not quite what it once was in that regard.

Yeah, when I first started reading the forum around new years of 2010 it's not like it was devoid of bad topics or comments,no forum really is, but because of membership signup rules and stricter moderation, it seemed a lot better in that regard. While it's still better than some other forums it certainly seems to be a lot worse with much more junk posting type comments or topics.

Defuser

Tokyo Ravens ep 24 END
Oh my, apparently Ohtomo Jin is not only OP but now he got Doman as a familiar? Goddamn somebody put a stop to this guy!

Overall this show was average with a weaksauce MC that got overshadowed by other characters. Too bad I don't feel for anything for anything happening Natsume or Harutora.

The Good:
- Ohtomo Jin
- Suzuka

The Bad :

-The rest

We won't get a second season since the sales are bombing.

CorvoSol

Yeah, II was the one that was declared completely non-canon and ignored by everyone else, so I don't think about it too hard.
I really like Plus for having these older main characters that, although they all have issues around their past, they're still trying to do what they see as the right thing. It's a tragic situation.
7 is weird, and I think Basara is actually supposed to be insane. I've seen a lot of people who hate 7 because it's really stupid, but I love goofy stuff like that.
While I think SDF benefitted overall from the sudden expansion to 36 episodes, the stretching out of the love triangle was the weakest part of the expansion. I certainly screamed at Hikaru a few times to Just Dump Minmay Already.

For a minute I thought you meant you wanted Hikaru to jump Minmay and I was like "#TeamMisa bro." That's a problem I had with Macross II (aside from every other problem I had with it) the love triangle wasn't as fun to get into as Macross'.

This reminds me of people who will say there's no fanservice in Evangelion and that it all started with K-On or more recently etc. There's even the little gag to start with where Kotono Mitsuishi says there'll be more service next time during the episode previews.

As long as we know I was joking. All the K-On I've ever seen seems relatively low on the fan-service side. Like I think I've seen more fan service in Dexter's Lab.

Ugh, I have so little time to watch anime. I've been spending more time building up a backlog. I'm lucky to even get through one episode of Gundam X in a day.

Anyways, Macross fans. Is the Do you Remember Love movie an okay place to start with Macross seeing as it's basically a retelling of the first series from what I've heard?

But other than that, my backlog is growing bigger than ever so I might as well post it here.

The Fifty-Eigth Man of Nintendo's Anime Backlog

Currently Watching:
Gundam X
Bakemonogatari
Samurai Flamenco
Kill La Kill

Really excited to watch
Macross: Do you Remember Love?
G Gundam
Gundam Build Fighters
Gundam Wing
Toradora
Diebuster
Non Non Biyori
Xabungle
Heroman

On hold but will start up again when I find the time
Full Metal Panic!?
Eureka Seven.
Hunter X Hunter
Shin Mazinger Z.
The Big O.
Yamato 2199

Curious to see, but I've seen some mixed opinions so I might check it out
Aquarion EVOL.
Dancougar Nova
Princess Tutu
Gundam 00 (Season 1)
Vividred Operation

Its weird. To me its at its best with the politics and discussions. That's its thing to me. The adventuring stuff is where I got bored. Well not bored, but less interested. Especially the whole training part. Well except where in intersected with Shiroe.

Right. The kids doing their dungeon raid was meh, but the first adventure where they travel to a different town and it was just the original three was great. The ending leaves me excite for season 2 with the introduction of the new villain.

CorvoSol

Anyways, Macross fans. Is the Do you Remember Love movie an okay place to start with Macross seeing as it's basically a retelling of the first series from what I've heard?

Absolutely. Do You Remember Love trims a LOT of the fat from the show and makes the cast likeable as a result. It also more tightly handles the show's themes. The only down sides to Do You Remember Love are 1)It sort of changes a key scene that I liked from the show to replace it with a reference to an arc from the show that I hated and that the movie doesn't really expand upon and 2) A lot of side characters get their nice character development shoved out of the way by necessity in order to develop the love triangle.

But otherwise it's a beautiful, heartfelt movie that does a MUCH better job of showing Kawamori's "Greatest of Love Stories to the backdrop of the Greatest of Conflicts" far better than the original SDFM.

Bakemonogatari-GOOD
Samurai Flamenco-GOOD
Kill La Kill-MKay
G Gundam-GOOD
Gundam Build Fighters-GOOD
Gundam Wing-MKay
Diebuster-GOOD
Full Metal Panic!?-GOOD
Eureka Seven.-GOOD
Shin Mazinger Z-GOOD
The Big O-GOOD.
Princess Tutu-Yeah okay
Gundam 00 (Season 1)- I mean if you REALLY have to.

hat_hair

I'm thinking of starting another Gundam series. G Gundam or Turn A, which should I go with?

You can't really go wrong there. Those are the two best (non-UC) Gundams.
Having said that, G is more hot blooded action, Turn A is more slow paced and political, so pick based on that.

Absolutely. Do You Remember Love trims a LOT of the fat from the show and makes the cast likeable as a result. It also more tightly handles the show's themes. The only down sides to Do You Remember Love are 1)It sort of changes a key scene that I liked from the show to replace it with a reference to an arc from the show that I hated and that the movie doesn't really expand upon and 2) A lot of side characters get their nice character development shoved out of the way by necessity in order to develop the love triangle.

But otherwise it's a beautiful, heartfelt movie that does a MUCH better job of showing Kawamori's "Greatest of Love Stories to the backdrop of the Greatest of Conflicts" far better than the original SDFM.

Done and done. Adding to the list.

A backlog you can fit into one post? Some backlog!

Hey, before this backlog was like, half of this one's size!

Midonin

Witch Craft Works 12 + Final Thoughts

One of my favorite parts of the show was its visual language. The way it used the right amount of CG, while also making it not too standout, and the aesthetics of everything being different enough - things like the giant gatoroid or someone wearing an entire wolf on their shoulder. Magical romcoms are hardly uncommon, but this one's sense of comedic timing and stylized violence made for something that was worth looking forward to. Maybe the last arc could've been a little more exciting than the proceeding episodes, but it's not enough to drag down the whole series.

My favorite characters were the Tower Witches - it's easy to root for someone who's not necessarily evil, just trying to get by, and the harder on their luck they got, the more lovable they became. Lots of great VAs in this one too. Mamiko Noto, Miyukichi, Ayako Kawasumi, Kugyuu and Ai Kayano seamlessly blending into another role. The dynamic between Kagari and Takamiya was fun to watch. Kagari herself is a great lead heroine, with a lot of elements that have been seen, but often not in this exact way.

I can't think of any problems I really had with it, other than maybe wanting to see more of Kana Asumi's character, because everything was doing just what it was supposed to do with some degree of craft. (Pun not wholly intended.) The ED was also one of the best of the season.

Gj-bu - 01

When i tried to watch this , i dunno why but it didn't grab me ... maybe because i had much better fun shows at the time to watch ..but i had some episodes on my phone and 30 minutes to spare ...

I managed to finish the first episode ...
i think it was alright

Meat eater girl was nice
Tea girl was "ok" but i like her hidden side
Chess girl clumsyness was cute
Tiny girl was ...well i dunno.

i still cannot help to compare this to setokai no ichizon and i liked the randomness of that anime but GJ-bu is different and i think i've watched it far enough that i can accept this anime for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom