• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Jeff

Talking about Chrono Crusade and its ending just reminds me of the scene near the end where
Rosette finally breaks down and starts crying saying "I don't want to die!"

The fact that Tomoko Kawakami died fairly young from cancer could just make that scene hard to watch now. If she had been diagnosed or known about her cancer before having to record that scene...I could imagine it would have been pretty hard to do or her acting could of very well not been acting... :( :( :(
It's still a tragedy about her dying so young. For those interested here is her list of anime roles most notably of which is Utena from the series of the same name.

She also played Athena in Aria and what's even more tragic is that the singer they used for her operatic singing in the show, Kawai Eri, also died. Truly very tragic.

sonicmj1

I have a legitimate question about From the New World.

Without spoiling anything after episode 16 what is it about the anime you like or find so fascinating about it? Because a lot of you get defensive about my view on the show as I progress through these episodes. What's so compelling about it? Why do you list it as one of the best? This is a very serious question so I would like some serious answers.

I think we have very different tastes, so we probably won't see eye to eye on this. The way you approach this show (for example, with respect to wanting to know all the whys and hows of the society's use of hypnosis) is different from how I came at it.

From the New World is a speculative science fiction story, which is actually kind of rare in anime (Time of Eve is another notable example). Whereas a lot of science fiction stories use it so cool things happen and people go on awesome adventures, a story like From the New World is about making one or two small tweaks to the world, and then asking "What if?" How would the world be changed if suddenly and without warning, some humans developed incredible psychic powers? And what would that world look like when it eventually stabilized?

What results is a world where people are controlled, a seeming utopia built on love, but one where deviations are punished absolutely and finally. Because of how powerful and dangerous all these humans are, they have to instinctively resolve their interpersonal conflicts without fighting. How species manage their aggression and ensure their survival ties into the key themes of the series, which will become clearer as you get into the second half. The free love the characters exhibit is both a way for the author to use a mechanism in nature to keep psychic humans complacent without sacrificing their individuality, and a useful image to contrast to later events.

I really liked how that world was explored. We see everything through Saki's eyes, and understand her perspective. I trusted that the show would tell me anything I needed to know and no more, and that turned out to be largely correct. Her relationships with her friends are varied and meaningful in different ways. I'm not sure why one would describe those relationships as "vapid" unless one expects all love to be an amazing transcendent thing that saves lives and conquers all.

What ultimately results is a show with a damn good female protagonist, an interesting setting, and a tragic story that manages to contain meaningful parallels to our own society. Even with its inconsistencies, it's a rare gem.

CorvoSol

That's not what I mean, though. I know they don't acknowledge their crimes during it, but that's not the same as resenting America for it. It's like, I dunno, are there still Germans who resent America for it?

Note that this isn't the same as resenting America for anything from the Cold War era, cuz that's it's own basket. I just figured everyone involved in WWII was just about dead or too old to have their grudges mean anything in society.

So is everyone who fought in the Civil War, and yet confederate flag bumper stickers are a thing.

Doesn't mean anger can't get passed down.

Fair enough, I guess.

Okay 1) I don't really think transethnic means what she thinks it means if it even is a word. and 2) LOL at the entire WWII thing.

I mean are people who are alive in Japan now even mad about WWII? Is anybody still mad about that? I mean, that whole Cold War thing, sure, but WWII was a loooong time ago.

Well doesn't help that Japan's education system doesn't even teach WW2 properly to the omitance of the atrocities committed to the Chinese.

Jintor

I mean are people who are alive in Japan now even mad about WWII? Is anybody still mad about that? I mean, that whole Cold War thing, sure, but WWII was a loooong time ago.

dunno man. WWII's legacy is still being felt today I'd hazard. The whole incapable of raising an army thing and whatever constitutional changes Abe is trying to push through is a direct result of Japan not being permitted by the US to act as other sovereign countries are able to do.

probably general people don't give a shit but politicians can still fan outrage or whatever to get an edge.

CorvoSol

dunno man. WWII's legacy is still being felt today I'd hazard. The whole incapable of raising an army thing and whatever constitutional changes Abe is trying to push through is a direct result of Japan not being permitted by the US to act as other sovereign countries are able to do.

probably general people don't give a shit but politicians can still fan outrage or whatever to get an edge.

True. Japan will always be beholden to America, or at least for a good long while afterward, and I can see how being essentially neutered by America would frustrate any nation, but I dunno. I just didn't think the Japanese held any major grudge against 'Murica the way they do their nearer neighbors.

CorvoSol

"I think my problem is that I feel too much. Sleeping next to you in that tent night after night. It's like torture."

Oh is this relationship and character development? Am I supposed to care? Was any of this supposed to matter?

Branduil

True. Japan will always be beholden to America, or at least for a good long while afterward, and I can see how being essentially neutered by America would frustrate any nation, but I dunno. I just didn't think the Japanese held any major grudge against 'Murica the way they do their nearer neighbors.

Japan fought other countries besides America during WWII.

Nafe

Now you truly understand why we do what we do!

Eh, I don't know, it can be kind of hit and miss. When it comes to shows like Arjuna, Blood-C, School Days etc. and all the wink wink, nudge nudge that comes with them, I feel people often have this "appeal to the crowd" type mentality when it comes to their comments.

People might still obviously be surprised but the ones that are getting more of a hint at things really seem to blow it up with this "Ah! What is happening ?!? X@%#!" type responses, sometimes just gif reactions. It was maybe funny the first time or two I saw it but now it kind of has this "Oh, it's one of those routines is it? Pass." I want to promote a fun environment so if others get enjoyment out of them that's fine but they're personally not for me.

When people react more to how they normally would with more of a subdued "Well, that was pretty crazy." type comment, then people are disappointed and almost booing the fact they're not over-dramatizing their comments. Personally I prefer the reactions where people can still maybe act a bit crazy but still have some coherent commentary or engage it discussion rather then just trying to play along.

Japan isn't mad at white people, don't be idiotic. They know the truth.

NrjyBvz.jpg

CorvoSol

Eh, I don't know, it can be kind of hit and miss. When it comes to shows like Arjuna, Blood-C, School Days etc. and all the wink wink, nudge nudge that comes with them, I feel people often have this "appeal to the crowd" type mentality when it comes to their comments.

People might still obviously be surprised but the ones that are getting more of a hint at things really seem to blow it up with this "Ah! What is happening ?!? X@%#!" type responses, sometimes just gif reactions. It was maybe funny the first time or two I saw it but now it kind of has this "Oh, it's one of those routines is it? Pass." I want to promote a fun environment so if others get enjoyment out of them that's fine but they're personally not for me.

When people react more to how they normally would with more of a subdued "Well, that was pretty crazy." type comment, then people are disappointed and almost booing the fact they're not over-dramatizing their comments. Personally I prefer the reactions where people can still maybe act a bit crazy but still have some coherent commentary or engage it discussion rather then just trying to play along.

While I think there was a fair amount of nudge nudge going on with School Days and Madoka, let me say that my melt downs over Arjuna, The Big O, and Code Geass were all legit.

I don't even remember how I reacted to Blood-C anymore. It's all just fevered laughter in my memories.

Branduil

Yes, but my question was specifically about Japan and America.

Well, if anything, those in Japan who are predisposed to WWII revisionism find America useful because it gives them an excuse to wallow in nationalistic victimhood and gloss over the atrocities the Japanese army inflicted on other Asian nations.

cajunator

Banned
"I think my problem is that I feel too much. Sleeping next to you in that tent night after night. It's like torture."

Oh is this relationship and character development? Am I supposed to care? Was any of this supposed to matter?

Corvy, youre gonna hurt yourself :(

The thing about Arjuna is that even if you explain it beforehand, they're not going to be prepared. No one can be.

Well, thats true. Regulus is about to watch episode 9.

While I think there was a fair amount of nudge nudge going on with School Days and Madoka, let me say that my melt downs over Arjuna, The Big O, and Code Geass were all legit.

I don't even remember how I reacted to Blood-C anymore. It's all just fevered laughter in my memories.

Its fun to see people fly off the handle, but it does get old if its done to often.
These shows must be recommended in metered doses to fully unsuspecting newcomers or it doesnt work.

CorvoSol

Man, there are Americans still furious about FDR!

I'm still furious about FDR. A man in a wheel chair with the might to break world powers over his knee has no right having that much swagger.

Well, if anything, those in Japan who are predisposed to WWII revisionism find America useful because it gives them an excuse to wallow in nationalistic victimhood and gloss over the atrocities the Japanese army inflicted on other Asian nations.

I guess it's just a problem I'd never considered before.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Haha, sorry, that wasn't meant to be a serious critique. It's not like we're all junkies looking for the newest high!

Or are we?

-Minsc-

Just checked out the OT for the first time in a while. I'd deeply saddened to hear Space Bros. is ending. It really did feel like it would go on forever. :( Keeping fingers crossed for its return. At least Mushi-shi returns.

Hunter x Hunter 121

Evolution is a scary thing. I mean... like.... I forgot how the fight with Youpi ended, so seeing this was quite a something.

Nafe

The thing about Arjuna is that even if you explain it beforehand, they're not going to be prepared. No one can be.

Yeah, that's fair that some peoples reactions to some shows would still be the more eccentric type comments. Again, I still want people to have fun so it's not like they're something that's that hard for me to personally ignore if I want.

I guess its more that if there's potential for actual comments or discussion, I personally don't want them to get snuffed out just for a quick laugh.

Haha, sorry, that wasn't meant to be a serious critique. It's not like we're all junkies looking for the newest high!

Or are we?

Ah, okay. Well, after watching the English dub of Garzey's Wing, I personally do get a bit of a kick reading others reactions to the show now. Even just having Corvo quoting different lines from the movie made me laugh again because of how silly they are.

CorvoSol

Also 75% of the world's holes in cheese.

This is an important resource which we cannot overestimate.

Also you've seen their knives. If Swiss knives can do all that, imagine what Swiss swords, guns, tanks and bombs can do.

A Swiss nuclear bomb is likely capable of destroying the world, making you breakfast, impregnating your wife, washing the car, creating a sun, speaking directly to God and writing a symphony.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was. I do know that the Rape of Nanking is omitted.

As far as I know It's not completely omitted. They just don't spent too much time with ugly details of war. Not to mention that modern history is optional subject in japanese high schools so a lot of people don't even read it.

I get what you guys are saying and how "it is supposed to be like that".

But I personally don't like how it's handled and no amount of excuses the show throws out can make up for it. I get others here on AnimeGAF may enjoy the lame excuse they use but I don't. The show is at it's best when it doesn't focus on it or tries to defend it. But insists on doing so every so often. Honestly I am quite puzzled some on here would defend it so much given how when other series give a lame excuse for why they do their own love thing people bash it.

Well, the difference here is that what the people are doing is a product of their society. It's a feature of the story, rather than simple bad writing from someone who doesn't understand romance or how characters behave in a believable manner.

It's perfectly fine not to like it in so far as that the characters' own values are very far removed from 21st century values, just as someone living in medieval times would probably be fairly disgusted by modern values on sex, marriage and the display of sexuality. It's not really an excuse the show uses, it's simply an aspect of the society in Kamisu 66, and a big part of the show is building that world and culture.

Anime series with satisfying endings:

Cowboy Bebop
Haibane Renmei
SBY 2199
Girls und Panzer
The Tatami Galaxy
From the New World
Azumanga Daioh
Infinite Ryvius
Hanasaku Iroha
Dennou Coil
Kyousougiga
Steins;Gate
Gunbuster/Diebuster
Higurashi

Good choices of those I've seen.

Some of my own choices for good endings in anime:

Cardcaptor Sakura
Casshern Sins
Oh! Edo Rocket
Digimon Tamers
Paranoia Agent
Samurai Champloo

I'm on ep 4 of Tsuritama and Haru is the most annoying thing ever omfg. I can't stand the way he talks. I thought after the first ep or so I would get used to it, but that's probably never going to happen.

I think Haru gets a little more tolerable as the series goes on, but he's definitely the least likable of the main cast. The show makes it all worthwhile, though.

I have a legitimate question about From the New World.

Without spoiling anything after episode 16 what is it about the anime you like or find so fascinating about it? Because a lot of you get defensive about my view on the show as I progress through these episodes. What's so compelling about it? Why do you list it as one of the best? This is a very serious question so I would like some serious answers.

Because honestly as I posted before, the only thing going for this show is the concept of the
Ogres and Karmic Demons
. And they have done so little with those. Hell even flashbacks in this show are more interesting then what is currently going on. Is it the
yuri and BL going on
? I want to know.

It's difficult to say some of the things which worked most strongly for me without getting into final episode material, but I think one of the main things is just the way in which the show built such a great society and world, and the way in which it handled a dystopian future. A lot of the stuff with regards to the conflicts and beliefs between the humans and monster rats worked really well, too.

At the end of the day, I love great science fiction stories which are built around social and political commentary and which really craft interesting worlds. From the New World is a title which probably wouldn't appeal as much to someone who isn't at least a little bit interested in this stuff, even though it does have some strong character moments and great horror. It's a title which is most interested in being judged as a text within the broader context about what it has to say about human society.

This is an important resource which we cannot overestimate.

Also you've seen their knives. If Swiss knives can do all that, imagine what Swiss swords, guns, tanks and bombs can do.

A Swiss nuclear bomb is likely capable of destroying the world, making you breakfast, impregnating your wife, washing the car, creating a sun, speaking directly to God and writing a symphony.

They've already released it. It's hidden among us. Here's what it looks like.
nfjUgC2.gif

Caught up with Tokyo Ravens. Apparently yes, it did actually get pretty decent with the serious stuff. Too bad it's going to end with shit still happening though. Well last episode of everything starting this saturday I guess.

CorvoSol

Yeah, that's fair that some peoples reactions to some shows would still be the more eccentric type comments. Again, I still want people to have fun so it's not like they're something that's that hard for me to personally ignore if I want.

I guess its more that if there's potential for actual comments or discussion, I personally don't want them to get snuffed out just for a quick laugh.

Ah, okay. Well, after watching the English dub of Garzey's Wing, I personally do get a bit of a kick reading others reactions to the show now. Even just having Corvo quoting different lines from the movie made me laugh again because of how silly they are.

Well, I think I do do a fair enough job of balancing that out. I can only speak for myself on this, but I'd hoped after writing a damn page about Hyouka I'd proven that I'm capable of being more articulate about shows than [Incoherent Laughter Intensifies]. I'd think that after kicking up some ridiculous discussions during my watch of Geass, I'd more than earned the right to just sit back and let it burn at that ending. When I see something worth talking about in a show, I try to get to talking about it, even if in the heat of the moment I can't do much more than laugh at it.

Part of the problem is you're not all watching these things in a room with me. I really feel all the "HAAAAAAAAW HAAAAAAAAAW HAAAAAAAAW" would come across more naturally if my breakdowns were a thing you could see instead of just me holding shift and A for a minute.
Caps lock is only used by people who are not dedicated to their capitalized letters.

As the List wears on and on I see the reasoning behind why people assume I only watch bad things, but I do aim to see good stuff when I can find it, too. Of course, "Good" is a hilariously malleable word in AnimeGAF.

Jintor

I don't remember a lot of what history was compulsorily taught in Australian history classes, but for some reason I don't recall a lot about WWI or II, apart from Gallipoli. It's always odd to see what is considered important for a mandatory education. I was always a better ancient historian anyway in school, though these days I find modern history more interesting.

I think we have very different tastes, so we probably won't see eye to eye on this. The way you approach this show (for example, with respect to wanting to know all the whys and hows of the society's use of hypnosis) is different from how I came at it.

From the New World is a speculative science fiction story, which is actually kind of rare in anime (Time of Eve is another notable example). Whereas a lot of science fiction stories use it so cool things happen and people go on awesome adventures, a story like From the New World is about making one or two small tweaks to the world, and then asking "What if?" How would the world be changed if suddenly and without warning, some humans developed incredible psychic powers? And what would that world look like when it eventually stabilized?

What results is a world where people are controlled, a seeming utopia built on love, but one where deviations are punished absolutely and finally. Because of how powerful and dangerous all these humans are, they have to instinctively resolve their interpersonal conflicts without fighting. How species manage their aggression and ensure their survival ties into the key themes of the series, which will become clearer as you get into the second half. The free love the characters exhibit is both a way for the author to use a mechanism in nature to keep psychic humans complacent without sacrificing their individuality, and a useful image to contrast to later events.

I really liked how that world was explored. We see everything through Saki's eyes, and understand her perspective. I trusted that the show would tell me anything I needed to know and no more, and that turned out to be largely correct. Her relationships with her friends are varied and meaningful in different ways. I'm not sure why one would describe those relationships as "vapid" unless one expects all love to be an amazing transcendent thing that saves lives and conquers all.

What ultimately results is a show with a damn good female protagonist, an interesting setting, and a tragic story that manages to contain meaningful parallels to our own society. Even with its inconsistencies, it's a rare gem.

Thanks everyone for the responses. And thanks for the ones that went into great detail.

It seems it really is my tastes and maybe I can expand on that. I prefer character motivations and exposition to World Exposition. You guys have commented that it has a social commentary of sorts on our world and a "what-if" like scenarios. It's weird as I usually like what if scenarios. I just have really gotten hung up on those early rituals where it made it seem like they got their powers from deities and can block and unblock powers at will and the all love society.

I can certainly appreciate it trying to do something different. But just because something is abstract or tries to do something different doesn't mean it's good. That's how I view it.

Now I am only 9 episodes away from the end and like I said before I didn't want to attack people's positions because that's not why I asked. I was curious. We will see how the rest of this plays out. If anything I am equally frustrated with myself when it comes to this show. It's because I like some of the politics that dictate the world and the concepts of the powers and how they can corrupt people that fascinate me. Which makes it all the harder for me to understand why it's not clicking. I just feel this could've been done soooo much better.

Also heads up that these early episodes will go into my review even if the end is amazing. If the ending is amazing it will make me question why the rest of the show wasn't. Maybe it will make me retrospectively appreciate certain things like the
Girl and Robot
in Clannad. I won't know till I get there.

I want to like this sooo bad guys.

CorvoSol

I don't remember a lot of what history was compulsorily taught in Australian history classes, but for some reason I don't recall a lot about WWI or II, apart from Gallipoli. It's always odd to see what is considered important for a mandatory education. I was always a better ancient historian anyway in school, though these days I find modern history more interesting.

The funniest thing about the world is that everybody knows what America teaches about WWII in its schools. Europe fucked up again, Asia got involved, America beat the shit out of everyone and saved those lousy Frenchies again, and the next morning we woke up and Russia was all "I don't love you anymore."

THE WALKING DEAD LATEST EPISODE SPOILERS:
SuperÑ;104916638 said:
Lizzie was hot,
but i'm glad she's dead.

Lizzie is an 11 year old girl. The Lolipocalypse is real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom